PDA

View Full Version : Learning How to Win - Experience & Heartache Has Always Preceded Championships

CaBisonFan
11-18-2007, 01:16 AM
Every era of domination and championships throughout the history of the Bison program has been preceded by some near misses and frustration.

I remember what I call 'the chuck bowl,' a championship game where most of the Bison players had either food poisoning or the stomach flu. Some guys couldn't play at all. Others were throwing up through their face masks while they were on the field. That team had a legitimate chance to win the championship game. It wasn't meant to be.

I remember the tremendous heartache of the Troy State game where it seemed that a last half-second 80-yard field goal (hmmm...might have been shorter) won the championship for Troy. That unbelievable game was sandwiched neatly between 3 national championships. Perhaps the 1986 team wouldn't have been as dominant without the adversity of that loss.

There was the era when Wacker was rebuilding, with Wacker commenting that he was leaving partly because he didn't think that there was enough talent here to win a national championship. Still, his tenure was the precursor to the Morton/Solomonson era of the 80s.

Nothing was lost in Brookings in the last game of the year...really. The cup is either 10/11th full...or 1/11th empty. We all have a choice as to which it is. I can either choose to be angry and depressed...or I can choose to focus on how full the cup has become. For the short term, I'm angry and depressed. Slowly...I will turn back to being very proud of this team. My Bison Pride will never go away.

Major progress has been made...but there's a ways to go. As good as the past two seasons have been...there are holes to fill in the lineup. A team that is going to challenge for the FCS championship will need dominance throughout the lineup...with depth behind it. I'm not going to get into where or who. That would be counterproductive at this point in time...besides being ridiculously unfair. I'm not in a position to really know...but I'm pretty certain that the coaches and players have their ideas.

I'm going to take this approach:

This is a process that has been far more exciting that I imagined. The Bison deserved to be in the playoffs the last two years...but can't be. So I'll take the 20-2 record over the past two years, and the thrills that have gone with it...and I'll thank everyone that was involved.

As per my earlier writings about the Bison tradition...one team leads to another...and every player is a part of the whole. If the Bison should win an FCS championship in the next 4 or 5 years...it will be appropriate (and accurate) to say that the players and coaches from the transition era helped to set the table.

Nothing comes easy in this game...and why would we want it to? Isn't the 'challenge' part of the reason why we moved up to DI? This program has never been shy about challenges.

Lastly...much has been written about the total dominance of the 1986 team...and it 'is' accurate. But it would also be accurate to say that it took from about 1963 until 1986 to build a team like that. And the Simdorn/Satter/Hansen/Braxton crew wouldn't have been dominant without the mid-80s crew.

The future can be bright...or it can be depressing. We can point fingers in disgust...or we can shake the hands of this era of coaches & players.

I'll shake hands...because 'we' are the Bison...and because this group has been fantastic. One loss against an outstanding SDSU team can't be allowed to stop the building...or the support.

90BISON
11-18-2007, 03:31 AM
Agree 100% with everything you just said Ca. By the way, hope the video feed was good, maybe in the version you saw we pulled it out? There is something to be said for having to overcome adversity, maybe not for the seniors, but for the guys coming behind them. I already fear for SDSU next year when we play them, I could give you about 50 examples, but for the guys that have been around for a while you know of what I speak. Teams we have lost to, the next year we have "typically" come out and crushed the next year, sometimes the next game (ex.1995 UND, Cal Poly 2006). Sometimes it takes losing to bring you back to reality, and make you a little more hungry. I was going to add some more thoughts to this about sideline attitude toward the end of the game that concerned me, but maybe best left untouched.:hide:

sambini
11-18-2007, 03:34 AM
Well said CABISON. Sat by your cousin Shirley And her husband Larry. today in Brookings.

99Bison
11-18-2007, 03:39 AM
Agree 100% with everything you just said Ca. By the way, hope the video feed was good, maybe in the version you saw we pulled it out? There is something to be said for having to overcome adversity, maybe not for the seniors, but for the guys coming behind them. I already fear for SDSU next year when we play them, I could give you about 50 examples, but for the guys that have been around for a while you know of what I speak. Teams we have lost to, the next year we have "typically" come out and crushed the next year, sometimes the next game (ex.1995 UND, Cal Poly 2006). Sometimes it takes losing to bring you back to reality, and make you a little more hungry. I was going to add some more thoughts to this about sideline attitude toward the end of the game that concerned me, but maybe best left untouched.:hide:

These past two years we seemed to have our targets set on teams we played the previous year and got beat by... Poly and MN. We won both those followup games pretty well, and the remaining games after those we seemed to lose intensity.

HOWEVER, starting next year I we finally have the opportunity to set the sights higher and aim for N/C as a true target instead of circling a team as the target.

90BISON
11-18-2007, 03:43 AM
These past two years we seemed to have our targets set on teams we played the previous year and got beat by... Poly and MN. We won both those followup games pretty well, and the remaining games after those we seemed to lose intensity.

HOWEVER, starting next year I we finally have the opportunity to set the sights higher and aim for N/C as a true target instead of circling a team as the target.

Is it just me or did we seem to sort of peak @ the MN game and then kind of went into coast mode the rest of the season, at least maybe mentally. With some of the teams we had left, other than Cal Poly & SDSU you could kind of get away with it, but......:(

CaBisonFan
11-18-2007, 04:04 AM
Is it just me or did we seem to sort of peak @ the MN game and then kind of went into coast mode the rest of the season, at least maybe mentally. With some of the teams we had left, other than Cal Poly & SDSU you could kind of get away with it, but......:(

I've been thinking the same thing today...and maybe some after last weekend. All the talk about the MN game being our Super Bowl was a little unsettling for me at the time. But ooooh, it was fun then.

I think you hit the problem right on the head. Bingo

As much as the players and coaches wouldn't want to admit it, the emotional letdown came. It's called being a human being...but I do believe it happened.

I know that App. State had some injuries, but they seem to have had a dropoff after the Michigan game. I don't think that it was totally physical in nature.

But luckily, they had the season to come back and the playoffs to aim for. Are they in? Not sure

90BISON
11-18-2007, 04:10 AM
I've been thinking the same thing today...and maybe some after last weekend. All the talk about the MN game being our Super Bowl was a little unsettling for me at the time. But ooooh, it was fun then.

I think you hit the problem right on the head. Bingo

As much as the players and coaches wouldn't want to admit it, the emotional letdown came. It's called being a human being...but I do believe it happened.

I know that App. State had some injuries, but they seem to have had a dropoff after the Michigan game. I don't think that it was totally physical in nature.

But luckily, they had the season to come back and the playoffs to aim for. Are they in? Not sure

Well, all I can say is it's been a helluva run the last couple years. If you would've told anyone 3-4 years ago that we would go 20-2 over the last 2 years, they would have found you a really nice white jacket with no holes in the sleeves. Heck, the neysayers are even on the Bison bandwagon now!

BlueBisonRock
11-18-2007, 04:15 AM

Thanks for bringing this up. We may have peaked with the UofMN game. That was the key goal. That was the game to make the statement. That win set the season. I didn't sense the same fire after that game.

The good news, Next year the goal is not to beat the UofMN, It will be to win the Gateway. This goal will keep focus and fire alive through the entire season. And, with the grace of god, it will also lead to the xDSU game as the climax of the season!

90BISON
11-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Thanks for bringing this up. We may have peaked with the UofMN game. That was the key goal. That was the game to make the statement. That win set the season. I didn't sense the same fire after that game.

The good news, Next year the goal is not to beat the UofMN, It will be to win the Gateway. This goal will keep focus and fire alive through the entire season. And, with the grace of god, it will also lead to the xDSU game as the climax of the season!

Also, the beauty of being playoff eligible is that with 1 loss it's not the end of the road, you can suck it up, gear up for the playoff's and get it on. I mean consider if we were playoff eligible this year, yea we wouldn't have won the conference championship, but it also wouldn't be the end of the season either. Next year.........

CaBisonFan
11-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Also, the beauty of being playoff eligible is that with 1 loss it's not the end of the road, you can suck it up, gear up for the playoff's and get it on. I mean consider if we were playoff eligible this year, yea we wouldn't have won the conference championship, but it also wouldn't be the end of the season either. Next year.........

It really became a 'must win every game' season. Good...and bad. Depends on how you view it I guess.

Like you said, if this were a playoff eligible team, we could pull it back together potentially.

I think that you should make the Minnesota Peak concept a thread. It's right on the mark.