PDA

View Full Version : From the Louisville Courier-Journal

Bob_Holiday
11-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I quote Jodi Demling from the column "The Book":
"As teams start to accept bowl bids over the next few weeks, there will be plenty of 7-5 and even some 6-6 teams that The Book doesn't want to see play again.
But hey, we have a suggestion to help get rid of one bad team.
Let's invite North Dakota State to the party. The Football Championship Subdivision power is undefeated through 10 games, is No. 45 in the Sagarin ratings and is not eligible for the playoffs this season. The school is in its final year of transition from NCAA Division II, but the team has knocked off Central Michigan and Minnesota.
It's a long shot the Bison will get through all the hoops and be invited as an at-large team to some bowl, but in this college football season you can never say never."

Bob

Scooter1
11-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the quote, Bob. Here is my two cents, for what it is worth.

They forget that if we go to a bowl game by some weird turn of events, a team that has made the jump to FBS division will be left out of participating bowl game. It may not mean much to some schools, but for others it certainly does. This isn't right. If we aren't allowed to be in the playoffs this year, we certainly shouldn't be allowed to keep a deserving school out of a bowl game, regardless of whether or not it helps NDSU.

What is the difference between NDSU petitioning to play in a bowl game (taking money away from a school that would have gone) And Montana not honoring a home and home contract to make more money? (while screwing the school that they cancel on)

Right is right and wrong is wrong...this feels wrong to me.

56BISON73
11-17-2007, 05:26 PM

They forget that if we go to a bowl game by some weird turn of events, a team that has made the jump to FBS division will be left out of participating bowl game. It may not mean much to some schools, but for others it certainly does. This isn't right. If we aren't allowed to be in the playoffs this year, we certainly shouldn't be allowed to keep a deserving school out of a bowl game, regardless of whether or not it helps NDSU.

What is the difference between NDSU petitioning to play in a bowl game (taking money away from a school that would have gone) And Montana not honoring a home and home contract to make more money? (while screwing the school that they cancel on)

Scooter
That is an interesting take and I had never thought of that. In that reagards I dont know HOW I would feel about it.

But lets look at it this way. There are 119 FBS schools. There are what 33 bowl games so 66 teams go to bowls. Many of them are 7-5 or 6-6. Do they DESERVE to be in a bowl game. I dont know. There was a time when it was an honor to be in a bowl game and you HAD to have a great record to be invited to one. So I guess I really wouldnt feel bad about replacing a 6-6 or 7-5 team. PL

missingnumber7
11-17-2007, 05:31 PM

BOTH MONTANA schools...both schools. And griz fans won't own up to it and cats fans just don't understand what that means.

tjbison
11-17-2007, 05:57 PM

Lets just say they DO get an invite for some unknown taco bowl somewhere, if a selection was made and THEY asked NDSU to play, would you say no?? I doubt Gene or Joe would turn it down because somewhere there is a 6-6 team that didn't get invited, that might want to play. I don't think its wrong to place the (hopefully undefeated) team ina bowl game.

MinotBison
11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't know if this has been covered in another thread, but on the radio broadcast today during the pregame interview, Taylor made it clear that the chances of the Bison getting another game to play are slim and none. HOWEVER, one possibility he mentioned was...the U. of Hawaii.

Now, how would that work? Hawaii is/was allowed by the NCAA to schedule 13 games. They only, for whatever reason, were able to schedule 12. Given their current ranking and what is at stake along with that, it would be rather unlikely they would want to play us. He said that we would need to know something by the middle of the upcoming week. Again, not a likely scenario, but something to think about.

Just as a side note, this is being written at halftime, and the current status of the game is very much in doubt. If things don't turn around, this whole discussion will be a moot point.