PDA

View Full Version : Trip down memory lane

90BISON
11-16-2007, 07:36 PM
This thread wasn't started to be a pissing match of which Bison team was the best ever. With that stated I was enjoying the "First Memory of Bison Football" thread and happened to dig out some old game programs. Happened to be looking through the 1986 NCAA Semifinal against Central State @ Dakotah Field 12/06/1986. For the younger guys that weren't around or are too lazy to try to comb through the internet (why do that if you can just look it up in the program). When some of the older guys on here talk about the 1986 team (different era) consider some of the stats they had that year.

Up to the Semi Final Game: Outscored their opponenets 477 - 68 !

In the Quarterfinal Game against Ashland : 523 yds rushing (yikes!):nod:

Won the Quarterfinal Game against Ashland : 50 - 0

Had a 21 game winning streak going into the Semi Final game.

Avg. Total Offense : NDSU 479 YPG - Opponents 204 YPG

Oh, by the way, we beat the SUE that year 62-13 :D :D :D

According to the Bison program, the '86 team, at least statistically had the best defense in the last 20 years of Bison Football, at that time.

It's kind of fun to look back at some of the old history once in a while. Brings back a lot of memories.

Some of the real young guys on that team, whom would be heard a lot from later: Marty Sieh (Fr), Chris Simdorn (Fr), Casey Bradley (So), Steve Ehlert (Fr), Len Kretchman (So), Doug Lloyd (So), Ken Clark (Fr), Charlie Stock (So), Mike Favor (So), Yorrick Byers (So), Matt Tracy (So), Pat Pringle (Fr), Daryl Illikainen (So), Jerry Kroshus (So), Craig Johnson (Fr), Brian Johnson (Fr), Dan Goettl (Fr), Mike Riggs (Fr), Phil Hansen (Fr), Paul Lenz (So), Paul Briggs (Fr), Mark Roshell (Fr).

If some of these young guys would have known how good some of their teams would be later, wow. Think we were slightly loaded.:D

Live2Tailgate
11-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Great points.

In my opinion that was the greatest Bison team of all time. :hide:
1990 gives great reason for debate too but in 1986 there was never a doubt.

The 1990 SF game vs Pitt State could've went either way. NDSU won the classic matchup by digging down deep and finding some pride but until 2 int's late in the game, NDSU couldn't stop the Gorillas. I still have that game on TV from WDAY telecast. A great game to hang on to even though there's no audio the entire 2nd half :( That along with the win over UND in 1991 were the last great scenes at old Dacotah Field.

90BISON
11-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Great points.

In my opinion that was the greatest Bison team of all time. :hide:
1990 gives great reason for debate too but in 1986 there was never a doubt.

The 1990 SF game vs Pitt State could've went either way. NDSU won the classic matchup by digging down deep and finding some pride but until 2 int's late in the game, NDSU couldn't stop the Gorillas. I still have that game on TV from WDAY telecast. A great game to hang on to even though there's no audio the entire 2nd half :( That along with the win over UND in 1991 were the last great scenes at old Dacotah Field.

Until some of the games this year, the Pitt State game was probably one of the better, more exciting, games I had ever witnessed to that point in time. I've said it before, that game "was" the NC between the 2 best teams that year.

AEBison1998
11-16-2007, 10:32 PM
That 86 team really was remarkable. Rumor has it that one of the SEC coaches (I'm not sure which one) watched the game and commented that NDSU could have finished middle of the pack that year in the SEC. It is one thing to say that about yourself and another to have it come from a coach in the conference.

CaBisonFan
11-17-2007, 01:33 AM
This thread wasn't started to be a pissing match of which Bison team was the best ever. With that stated I was enjoying the "First Memory of Bison Football" thread and happened to dig out some old game programs. Happened to be looking through the 1986 NCAA Semifinal against Central State @ Dakotah Field 12/06/1986. For the younger guys that weren't around or are too lazy to try to comb through the internet (why do that if you can just look it up in the program). When some of the older guys on here talk about the 1986 team (different era) consider some of the stats they had that year.

Up to the Semi Final Game: Outscored their opponenets 477 - 68 !

In the Quarterfinal Game against Ashland : 523 yds rushing (yikes!):nod:

Won the Quarterfinal Game against Ashland : 50 - 0

Had a 21 game winning streak going into the Semi Final game.

Avg. Total Offense : NDSU 479 YPG - Opponents 204 YPG

Oh, by the way, we beat the SUE that year 62-13 :D :D :D

According to the Bison program, the '86 team, at least statistically had the best defense in the last 20 years of Bison Football, at that time.

It's kind of fun to look back at some of the old history once in a while. Brings back a lot of memories.

Some of the real young guys on that team, whom would be heard a lot from later: Marty Sieh (Fr), Chris Simdorn (Fr), Casey Bradley (So), Steve Ehlert (Fr), Len Kretchman (So), Doug Lloyd (So), Ken Clark (Fr), Charlie Stock (So), Mike Favor (So), Yorrick Byers (So), Matt Tracy (So), Pat Pringle (Fr), Daryl Illikainen (So), Jerry Kroshus (So), Craig Johnson (Fr), Brian Johnson (Fr), Dan Goettl (Fr), Mike Riggs (Fr), Phil Hansen (Fr), Paul Lenz (So), Paul Briggs (Fr), Mark Roshell (Fr).

If some of these young guys would have known how good some of their teams would be later, wow. Think we were slightly loaded.:D

Yeah...loaded would be an understatement. Thanks.

90BISON
11-17-2007, 05:17 AM
Not to go on a completely different tangent, maybe should be a completely seperate thread, but whatever happened to Reggie Scott from Cairo, GA. I was watching a replay tape of the 1995 playoff game against UND and he and Kevin Feeney had a banner day up there. I seem to remember that he got in a little trouble with the law, but don't recall ever hearing much about it after that. The kid could have been one of the great ones in NDSU history. Maybe went from famous to infamous.:confused:

AEBison1998
11-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I think after he "left" NDSU he went to Pitt. State and got into more trouble down in Kansas and "left" there as well. I don't know after that.

I agree with you...that guy had some amazing ability on the football field.