PDA

View Full Version : Third postseason tournament

WRSDBison
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that there will be a third mens bball postseason tournament in march. It doesn't mention anything about it being run by the NCAA. Is this another possibility for NDSU or am I missing something in the article?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3110361

ndsubison1
11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
So will there be teams that lose out in the NCAA and NIT that get invited to this?

WRSDBison
11-15-2007, 02:52 AM
No, the way I understand it is, the NCAA Tourney will get its first choice at its 65 teams, then the NIT will invite they're 32 teams, and then this one will invite they're 16 teams. So my understanding is there will be 113 teams which will now be invited to postseason tourneys.

BisonAccountant44
11-15-2007, 03:37 AM
No, the way I understand it is, the NCAA Tourney will get its first choice at its 65 teams, then the NIT will invite they're 32 teams, and then this one will invite they're 16 teams. So my understanding is there will be 113 teams which will now be invited to postseason tourneys.

"It will be a single-elimination tournament through the first two rounds and the semifinals, all played at campus sites. The Championship Series will be a best-of-three with the higher-seeded team playing at home in the first game and, if necessary, the third.
The first round is scheduled for March 18-19. The Championship Series will be March 31, April 2 and April 4.
The NCAA's Final Four is April 5 and 7 in San Antonio. The NIT semifinals and finals are April 1 and 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

There will now be 113 Division I teams playing postseason basketball."

That's right. We're now up to over 1/3 of the Mens D1 teams in a post season tournament which is great for us, especially this year. The only thing I'm not sure if I'm going to be a fan of yet or not is the best of 3 championship. I like the idea, but 1 and done is part of what makes all March Madness so great.

BisBison
11-15-2007, 05:17 AM

Not to be a prick but it's the NIT will invite THEIR not they're. I hate the butchering of the English language.

RodentiaX
11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
My understanding is that this tournament will attempt to compete with the NIT for teams, rather than choosing from what is left after the NCAA and the NIT make their selections. In the long term, it's possible that this might lead to a bidding war between the NIT and this new tournament, which could be unhealthy for one or the other. But at least in the short term, it's good news for good teams that get snubbed by the NIT. (And of course is good news for teams that aren't yet elligible for the NIT)

onbison09
11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
113 teams is A LOT. Too many IMO. But not for this year. :D