PDA

View Full Version : The Stage is Being Set

CaBisonFan
11-13-2007, 01:21 AM
UNI drubs Indiana State. We drub CMU earlier...the champs of the MAC. We beat a weak Minnesota. UNI beats a weak ISU. UNI doesn't play a team like CMU. UNI recently had their Cal Poly experience against Youngstown State...but they're better...a lot better...according to the SNP voters.

NDSU stages a miracle comeback against a playoff caliber team...and on Saturday night the scenario was ripe for an extremely athletic Cal Poly team to stage an upset.

There's no politics involved in this...is there?

If we should win in Brookings we will have won eleven playoff games in a row this season. That's how the Bison approached it.

Give 'em hell in Brookings guys!!! This is the kind of weekend where you bring your mother in law along and tell her to yell when you do. The ultimate sacrifice is required.

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Why do people keep thinking Cal Poly is a playoff calibur team?

Their most impressive win is a drubbing of 5-5 Weber State.

That could arguably be worse than Notre Dame playing in a BCS bowl game when their most impressive win was against Navy.

Youngstown is a lot better than Cal Poly. You don't need to look at their schedule and losses to figure that one out.

CaBisonFan
11-13-2007, 01:28 AM

That could arguably be worse than Notre Dame playing in a BCS bowl game when their most impressive win was against Navy.

Youngstown is a lot better than Cal Poly. You don't need to look at their schedule and losses to figure that one out.

Were you at the game? Did you see Cal Poly?

CaBisonFan
11-13-2007, 01:29 AM

And Youngstown is no CMU.

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Cal Poly barely beat Southern Utah. Southern Utah. The same Southern Utah team that got slaughtered by UND.

Cal Poly lost to Idaho. Idaho is 1-9 on the season in a D1-A mid major conference, and we know how great, or not great, those teams are.

Please enlighten me on a Cal Poly team that hasn't beaten anybody above .500 on the year.

NDSUFREAK
11-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Cal Poly barely beat Southern Utah. Southern Utah. The same Southern Utah team that got slaughtered by UND.

Cal Poly lost to Idaho. Idaho is 1-9 on the season in a D1-A mid major conference, and we know how great, or not great, those teams are.

Please enlighten me on a Cal Poly team that hasn't beaten anybody above .500 on the year.
youngstown barely beat SUU as well...

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2007, 01:37 AM

Youngstown State is 7-4, with losses to Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, and Ohio State.

Cal Poly hasn't beaten a team above .500, with the exception of Western Oregon, who's a Division 2 independant. And judging by the score of 24-17, they weren't exactly impressive against them either.

WarBison
11-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Like Bohl said today in his press conference, Cal Poly is a great home team, but as soon as they go on the road, they are a completely different team. Also the number one team coming into your house tends to get a team ready to play I would assume.

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2007, 01:38 AM
youngstown barely beat SUU as well...

True, but Youngstown State has justified itself by sitting in 3rd place of arguably the toughest conference in D1AA, and has beaten a handful of teams above .500.

In fact, Youngstown State has just as many wins against teams over .500 than Cal Poly does total through the entire season.

CaBisonFan
11-13-2007, 01:49 AM
True, but Youngstown State has justified itself by sitting in 3rd place of arguably the toughest conference in D1AA, and has beaten a handful of teams above .500.

In fact, Youngstown State has just as many wins against teams over .500 than Cal Poly does total through the entire season.

You didn't answer my question. Did you see Cal Poly? hmmmm?

silkamilkamonico
11-13-2007, 01:50 AM
You didn't answer my question. Did you see Cal Poly? hmmmm?

Sorry. No I didn't. Did they literally field a team of new players?

pantherhawkrolling
11-13-2007, 02:21 AM
UNI drubs Indiana State. We drub CMU earlier...the champs of the MAC. We beat a weak Minnesota. UNI beats a weak ISU. UNI doesn't play a team like CMU. UNI recently had their Cal Poly experience against Youngstown State...but they're better...a lot better...according to the SNP voters.

NDSU stages a miracle comeback against a playoff caliber team...and on Saturday night the scenario was ripe for an extremely athletic Cal Poly team to stage an upset.

If we should win in Brookings we will have won eleven playoff games in a row this season. That's how the Bison approached it.

Give 'em hell in Brookings guys!!! This is the kind of weekend where you bring your mother in law along and tell her to yell when you do. The ultimate sacrifice is required.

Glad to see that I am in your head, CaBison. Youngstown State has won four national titles, from any objective standard they are better than Cal Poly. Just because they played the Bison well does not mean they are a great team, it just means NDSU did not play well that night. And CMU is better than ISU, are you serious? The Cyclones have beaten Iowa, Colorado, and K State, CMU has just beaten pathetic MAC teams. And again with the regular season game=playoff game. Winless S. Utah is a playoff team? You must be some sort of genius.

Seriously, your team is having a great season, don't taint it with some weird type of bitterness. Be glad you can't make the playoffs, there are much better teams there than Sam Houston and Cal Poly, your undefeated season would almost surely come to an end.

IL_Bison
11-13-2007, 02:25 AM
Seriously, I'm not sure that I get the point of this thread. We all enjoy friendly discussion, but all of the recent arguments about how NDSU stacks up against potential FCS playoff entrants are counterproductive. We aren't playoff eligible, and we will never know how good this team actually is relative to playoff entrants...case closed. NDSU has a phenomenal football team, should be a great game on Saturday.

pantherhawkrolling
11-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Seriously, I'm not sure that I get the point of this thread. We all enjoy friendly discussion, but all of the recent arguments about how NDSU stacks up against potential FCS playoff entrants are counterproductive. We aren't playoff eligible, and we will never know how good this team actually is relative to playoff entrants...case closed. NDSU has a phenomenal football team, should be a great game on Saturday.

Thank you, I keep forgetting how many intelligent Bison fans are on this board, that's why I was attracted to it. And I mean that, I am not trying to be patronizing. If I were more mature, I would not get into a pissing contest with a moron.

BlueBisonRock
11-13-2007, 02:30 AM
If I were more mature

You called it.

pantherhawkrolling
11-13-2007, 02:31 AM
You called it.

If only, I am sure a lot would be different in my life. You should see me argue this sh*t in person. But back to my point, CaBison is a moron...

02Bison
11-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Thank you, I keep forgetting how many intelligent Bison fans are on this board, that's why I was attracted to it. And I mean that, I am not trying to be patronizing. If I were more mature, I would not get into a pissing contest with a moron.

Some here just like beating dead horses in hopes eventually all that beating will bring the horse back to life...

02Bison
11-13-2007, 02:38 AM

Tell it like it is! Rep points for you!

BlueBisonRock
11-13-2007, 02:46 AM
If only, I am sure a lot would be different in my life. You should see me argue this sh*t in person. But back to my point, CaBison is a moron...

I can only imagine as I have had a number of these type of discussions with your twin. (A Bison grad / fan who lives in Bismarck).

I see CaBison as a believer and showing no shame in stating his belief. He bases his argument on emotion. I am ok with his approach, as I understand my belief system. Both happen to overlap on this question. Although I would vote for UNI as #1 and NDSU as #2 based on my perceptions of opponent strength at gameday. I do believe that NDSU would defeat UNI by 6 in Fargo, by 3 at a mid point like the Metrodome, and by 1 on your turf. Unfortunately, I can only believe as this game will not be played this year.

90BISON
11-13-2007, 02:49 AM
The beautiful thing is next year at this same time, these discussions won't be just mental mastubation any longer.:D

HerdBot
11-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Glad to see that I am in your head, CaBison. Youngstown State has won four national titles, from any objective standard they are better than Cal Poly. Just because they played the Bison well does not mean they are a great team, it just means NDSU did not play well that night. And CMU is better than ISU, are you serious? The Cyclones have beaten Iowa, Colorado, and K State, CMU has just beaten pathetic MAC teams. And again with the regular season game=playoff game. Winless S. Utah is a playoff team? You must be some sort of genius.

Seriously, your team is having a great season, don't taint it with some weird type of bitterness. Be glad you can't make the playoffs, there are much better teams there than Sam Houston and Cal Poly, your undefeated season would almost surely come to an end.

It's pointless talking about something we can't control. All we can do is dream. What would you do if you were in our shoes? It sucks. Teams in the transition mode are not supposed to have the chance to finish the season #1 in the polls.

Nobody is trying to take away anything from UNI's great season. We're both 1/2 in the polls and I think you can flip a coin. I can't wait till next year when we play. 2 years from now you guys come to our house so I've got that date circled on the calender. It'll be fun!

Honestly, I think UNI has played a tad bit tougher schedule so all we can do is compare common opponents. However, if you consider the fact NDSU has not lost to a D1AA team since the last game of 2005 so we're pretty damn good.

Illinois State
vs UNI - lose 23-13 (@isu)
vs NDSU - lose 54-28 (@ndsu)

Western Illinois
vs UNI - lose 42-3 (@wiu)
vs NDSU - lose 41-28 (@wiu)

South Dakota State
vs UNI - lose 31-17 (@sdsu)
vs NDSU - ???

CaBisonFan
11-13-2007, 03:51 AM

You're right...you don't get the point of the thread. I agree.

CaBisonFan
11-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Sorry. No I didn't. Did they literally field a team of new players?

No new players that I'm aware of...but they played one hell of a game. The Bison made many uncharacteristic mistakes...but some of them were caused by an extremely quick, athletic, and well-prepared team. They had our number on defense for most of the first three quarters.

The Bison found a way to win under very tough circumstances. That's what championship teams do. A lesser team would have thrown the towel in.

SlickVic
11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
No new players that I'm aware of...but they played one hell of a game. The Bison made many uncharacteristic mistakes...but some of them were caused by an extremely quick, athletic, and well-prepared team. They had our number on defense for most of the first three quarters.

The Bison found a way to win under very tough circumstances. That's what championship teams do. A lesser team would have thrown the towel in.

the bison just finally found their bio rythem

pantherhawkrolling
11-13-2007, 11:45 PM
For for thought on this topic, from the Cedar Falls-Waterloo Courier:

"WHO'S NO. 1? During the five weeks since UNI rose to the top spot in The Sports Network Poll, North Dakota State has remained No. 1 in the FCS Coaches' Poll.

Like a lot of Panther fans, Farley finds that perplexing. UNI has a win over Big 12 Iowa State, six road victories, four wins over Top 20 opponents and defeated Western Illinois by a greater margin (42-3) than NDSU (41-28). Six of the Panthers' opponents to date own winning records compared to four on the Bison schedule. The collective record of the 10 teams UNI has defeated is 52-56. The collective record of NDSU's 10 victims is 35-68.

On the other hand, the Bison own two wins over I-A foes (Minnesota and Central Michigan) and beat Illinois State by a greater margin than the Panthers (54-28 to 23-13).

"That is an interesting question," said Farley. "I don't know who votes or who's included in that group, or the number of coaches from which conferences.

"Again, I think it's just an opinion, and the best thing about this whole thing is we get to line up and go play this thing out on the field and find out who the top team is by going through the bracket."

Of course, maybe someone should remind Coach Farley that going through the bracket is not possible because NDSU is not eligible.

lakesbison
11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Jan 1st Bowl Game METRODOME!!!

UNI (FCS national Champs) vs NDSU (#1 rated FCS team)

Someone call the MSFC (owners of the Metrodome) and tell them OR MINNESOTA GOPHERS want to sponser it.

Tell them 62,000 fans will fill that DOME for this "EXHIBITION BOWL!" or the JOHN DEERE BOWL.

56BISON73
11-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Jan 1st Bowl Game METRODOME!!!

UNI (FCS national Champs) vs NDSU (#1 rated FCS team)

Someone call the MSFC (owners of the Metrodome) and tell them OR MINNESOTA GOPHERS want to sponser it.

Tell them 62,000 fans will fill that DOME for this "EXHIBITION BOWL!" or the JOHN DEERE BOWL.

I beleive any bowl game must first be SANCTIONED by the NCAA. That should be right up your alley. Get on it!!! :D PL

1bizon1
11-14-2007, 01:29 AM
I beleive any bowl game must first be SANCTIONED by the NCAA. That should be right up your alley. Get on it!!! :D PL

Or we could call it "the Toilet Bowl" for all the sh*t some of these topics keep raising over and over and over.....
These are all just opinions. I've said this before and I'd like to say it again, opinions are just that! Not right nor wrong. Why do we have to attack someone because we disagree? Does calling someone a name make us feel better? Saying that one can argue better in person than on one of these forums proves.....? It's all personal opinions, were all entitled to them and why can't we leave it at just that? I don't get it? JMHO.

PantherHawk
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM

You can hem and haw all you want about who played who and how well, but the numbers are all right here, Stud Hossssss:

http://www.fullysports.com/football1aa/2007/sos

PS:

Cal Poly is a "playoff caliber team?" I know you are new to this level of play, but I don't believe there has ever been a 4 loss team in the playoffs.....especially one with their own SOS problems @ #107!

PantherHawk
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM

And Steve Austin is no Southern Illinois. :)

NDSUstudent
11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
You can hem and haw all you want about who played who and how well, but the numbers are all right here, Stud Hossssss:

PS:

Cal Poly is a "playoff caliber team?" I know you are new to this level of play, but I don't believe there has ever been a 4 loss team in the playoffs.....especially one with their own SOS problems @ #107!

Yeah, 4 loss teams never make the playoffs....Oh, wait Montana State not only made the playoffs at 7-4 last year but hosted a game. I won't even get into all the 4 loss teams that have made it as an auto-bid.

As for your SOS rankings why don't you look at a solid source like Massey....

UNI-17
NDSU-35
Cal Poly-45

NDSUstudent
11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
And Steve Austin is no Southern Illinois. :)

They would destroy MSU-Mankato though.....

PantherHawk
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, 4 loss teams never make the playoffs....Oh, wait Montana State not only made the playoffs at 7-4 last year but hosted a game. I won't even get into all the 4 loss teams that have made it as an auto-bid.

As for your SOS rankings why don't you look at a solid source like Massey....

UNI-17
NDSU-35
Cal Poly-45

Oh please, list the legions of 4 loss playoff teams! I said please!

Massey, S &P, Dun & Bradstreet.........whats the difference?

PantherHawk
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
They would destroy MSU-Mankato though.....

But, what about Mississippi Valley State?

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh please, list the legions of 4 loss playoff teams! I said please!

Massey, S &P, Dun & Bradstreet.........whats the difference?

Lafayette- 6-5
Montana State- 7-4
Eastern Illinois- 8-4
McNeese St- 7-4

Eastern Washington 7-4

Montana St 7-5

Montana St 7-5
Murray St 7-4

CaBisonFan
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM

PS:

And you didn't see Cal Poly last Saturday night. If they had beaten us, they would have possibly had a playoff spot. They were most certainly the athletic equal to the Bison on that Saturday. I believe that they've been ranked in the 20s over the past weeks. They have a history of playing extremely well at home, and not so well on the road.

We can beat this horse to death.

Here's what I suspect. Some of the coaches have seen films of the Bison playing...and they've been impressed. Then, by word of mouth, coaches have said, "Man...have you seen North Dakota State?!"

It's all subjective. Comparison scores don't mean a lot. And you play the schedule that you get. On any given Saturday, a weak team can play way above their heads.

At Cal Poly, the host team and fans were pumped beyond pumped. In their mind, the big giant from the north was coming to town. It's the biggest game of the year for them...maybe.

Get it?

I'm not going to get into schedules and score comparisons anymore. This is all subjective.

I haven't seen UNI play. I hear that they're something special. But so are the Bison.

Junior
11-14-2007, 06:39 PM

I was at both those games. NDSU/Cal Poly - - - UNI/Youngstown

To tell you the truth, IMO, on any given day, any of those 4 teams could beat any of the the others. However, this is my assement of their relative ranking to each other:
NDSU
UNI
Youngstown
Cal Poly

EDIT: I really don't know who is better between NDSU and UNI. I just picked my favorite.

sambini
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
We will have to wait till next year in Gateway conference play. I remember when UNI played at Dacotah Field and coached by Stan Sheriff.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-14-2007, 07:35 PM
And we waxed their hind ends

56BISON73
11-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Yes we did. As a matter of fact when they came in they had a nose guard that was being touted as an all american. When they left he wasnt a candidate any longer.:D PL

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes we did. As a matter of fact when they came in they had a nose guard that was being touted as an all american. When they left he wasnt a candidate any longer.:D PL

I talked to Stan Sheriff after he left UNI and became the AD at University of Hawaii. He said that Dacotah Field was one one of the most difficult fields to play at. He hated the students and fans right behind them, he hated the North wind in his face, but mostly he hated getting beat by 50 points!

56BISON73
11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I talked to Stan Sheriff after he left UNI and became the AD at University of Hawaii. He said that Dacotah Field was one one of the most difficult fields to play at. He hated the students and fans right behind them, he hated the North wind in his face, but mostly he hated getting beat by 50 points!

They were also one of the dirtiest teams I ever played against. Real cheap shot artist. But I guess ya gotta be good at something when you are getting your ass handed to you. LOL PL

pantherhawkrolling
11-15-2007, 03:05 AM

And so much has changed since then, for both schools. It's just moved up to a completely different level. UNI could have never come within four touchdowns of Iowa State back then, now they are better on a yearly basis. Likewise with NDSU and Minnesota. Take basketball, a few days ago UNI beat UMass (freakin' UMass!), and the media and announcers in Cedar Falls treated it like it was no big deal. And it wasn't in a sense; I think they were favored, it's just easy to forget how far things have gotten in such a short time. I think it comes to a point where the Michigans and the Iowas and the Washingtons sort of max out and can't get any bigger, but the so-called mid-majors have room to expand. That, added with changes in scholarship limits, and the gap is closing fast. So it's true, NDSU waxed UNI back then, but the neat thing is that both 2007 squads would absolutely destroy both of those Division II squads.

90BISON
11-15-2007, 02:48 PM
And so much has changed since then, for both schools. It's just moved up to a completely different level. UNI could have never come within four touchdowns of Iowa State back then, now they are better on a yearly basis. Likewise with NDSU and Minnesota. Take basketball, a few days ago UNI beat UMass (freakin' UMass!), and the media and announcers in Cedar Falls treated it like it was no big deal. And it wasn't in a sense; I think they were favored, it's just easy to forget how far things have gotten in such a short time. I think it comes to a point where the Michigans and the Iowas and the Washingtons sort of max out and can't get any bigger, but the so-called mid-majors have room to expand. That, added with changes in scholarship limits, and the gap is closing fast. So it's true, NDSU waxed UNI back then, but the neat thing is that both 2007 squads would absolutely destroy both of those Division II squads.

Can't disagree with ya. You know you have come a ways when you are now "expected" to win some or most of these games depending on the given strength of a respective team in that year. As I heard or read someone say about the Bison men's BB team currently, that they're beyond moral victories now, and they won't sneak up on anybody anymore. BTW listened to about 10 min of the UMASS / UNI game on the radio the other night, they sound pretty good.