PDA

View Full Version : Some Positives from this weekend's Florida,Rutgers games

BisonBlogger
11-12-2007, 09:42 PM
This team is done with moral victories but you can take some positives away from this weekend's games against SEC and Big East teams:

1. These games were against East Coast High-Major teams in their gyms. Rarely do mid-major teams win in environments like that. Both games were competitive and could have swung in the Bison's way if some shots would have dropped down the stretch. I would expect that we beat both teams if the played at the BSA.

2. Both Moorman and Tweidt established themselves with good games in both games. Moorman was more than up to the task against what most likely will be the best big men he will face the rest of the year. Luke also showed some low post scoring. Tweidt is starting to get comfortable. He could explode for some big games at anytime.

3. Turnovers by the Bison were reasonable. 15 againist Florida and 11 against Rutgers. In the past we have been in the 20's in most high-major games. We should be very solid with the ball against lesser competition.

4. Rebounding was considered a point of concern starting this season without Dre. The Bison were almost dead even with these two very long, athletic teams. This is a very good sign.

5. The Bison looked like a disciplined, well coached team that is more than up for the challange of playing anyone. They weren't intimidated or out- physicaled in these tough environments. That in itself shows we have arrived on the scene of big time basketball. This group feels they should win everytime they play. It is a fun team to watch.

Go Bison!

silkamilkamonico
11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
It's a good post.

The lack of bench scoring is a huge concern though, and if we don't see significant improvement in that area it's only going to add more pressure to the starters as the year goes on.

I just hope it doesn't come down to a situation where NDSU's success is determined by hoping that Woodside/Nelson/Winkleman/Tviedt are all on.

Herd
11-12-2007, 11:48 PM
This team needs athleticism. We need Freddie to get some minutes to keep our team fresh. We also need #20 back in the lineup. We will be stronger on the boards and defense in the paint when Zo returns.

bisonhusker
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Tveidt looks solid in the future, as does Carlson, I think he is a "Scorer." Other than that, I don't see many guys that are legit scoring threats on our bench. We really need to recruit a PG and a low post scorer. I will take an undersized banger anytime....that is what mid major schools get. If you are 6'10 and can bang, you are playing on ESPN twice a week. If you are 6'6 and can bang, you play in the Summit. That is the kid we need. Juco? We have avoided the Juco route for multiple reasons during this transition, we haven't looked for the quick fix, as we had a plan....I am not against the JUCO route in the future. Remember we have already verballed Nagle from Iowa, who is 6'9. Just some thoughts.

SDbison
11-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Florida's superior athleticism showed a bit as they were able to keep the Bison on their heels and get some pretty open 3 point shots (they also made a high percentage of their 3's). Also, there were several occasions were their dribble penetration was superior to anything NDSU did. Without Dre or Zo NDSU is lacking for anyone to swat those driving shots away. Really miss Dre's rebounds and put backs. He had a nice touch around the basket.

Mr. Burgundy
11-14-2007, 12:26 AM
We don't have Dre anymore......Next year Steve Walker won't play Quarterback.

lakesbison
11-14-2007, 02:28 AM
BUT NICK MERTENS WILL!!

WHY NOT GET HIM BACK ON THE BBALL TEAM.

he honestly could help off the bench.

SDbison
11-14-2007, 02:42 AM
We don't have Dre anymore......Next year Steve Walker won't play Quarterback.
OK, so I know we don't have Dre anymore, but who is going to replace him? Either we need a guy who can average 15-16 points a game, play good defense and rebound well.....or a combination of a starter and improved players off the bench that are going to give the Bison this kind of output in each game?????????
I guess that is why Saul is so focused on improved defense for this year......because he knows increased performance off the bench is not going to happen for a while, and Tviedt will need a year or so before he will be averaging over 10 points a game.

99Bison
11-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Yep, statistically some how have to make up for about 17 pts and 10 boards a game... and that's to be the same quality team.

Mr. Burgundy
11-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I agree with you SD, I was just being a jerk...typical. Dre is gone, and if he didn't have some issues, he would have been at a major D1 hoops program. My opinion only. Maybe that isn't true, but for his size/athleticism/low post abilities/rebounding abilities, he was a true talent that for some reason went JUCO first...and then to St. Bonnie prior to sneaking out on them and playing two great years here. Moral of that story is that great bigs are darn near impossible to get to NDSU. I hope that changes. Qvale would have been an unreal start. A defensive minded stopper with legit size. He is long and can really defend. HIs offensive game is a ways behind his defense. We seem to have the ability to recruit the 2/3 position really well. I am hoping we can find an big, and as I posted before, maybe an undersized banger, maybe a JUCO. The Summit is filled with 6'6 bigs that are athletic...2 inches taller and they are in a major conference. Ray McKenzie anyone.......we have had several of these guys in the history of our program, just need to find another. Marcus Johnson? Wasn't that his name. Richardson? We have had a bunch.