PDA

View Full Version : FieldTurf for the Fargodome

NDSUSPORTSPORTS
11-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Does anyone else think that it is important for the Bison to stay competitive and get a better playing surface in the dome?

From what I have heard Astroturf is comperable to concrete. I know it's easy to set up and take down, but if we really want our program to continue to grow, I think it should be considered.

Field Turf is the wave of the future for playing fields. Granted it would be expensive and more difficult for Fargodome staff to setup/teardown/maintain, but wouldn't it be worth it for recruiting and keeping our facilities top notch?

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
The problem with field turf is there is no "take down". You are unable to take it out. When it is in, it is in. So that would not make it very feasable for the other events that take place in the dome. It is impossible to take it out because of the ground up tire peices that stay in the turf permanently. It would be nice but I dont believe feasable.

Gully
11-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Oh no, not this thread.....again!!!! I bet this has been hashed through 20 times!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

EmeraldCityBison
11-11-2007, 04:48 PM
I've been to concerts in stadiums with field turf. They put a tarp-like cover on it. I think it can be protected this way for tractor pulls and monster trucks. The biggest problem might be the Fargodome's ice rink configuration. It simply wouldn't work. But how often is that used anyway? Also the south end zone bleachers move which is a feature that would need to be preserved somehow. I think it would be a great upgrade.

aces1180
11-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Does anyone else think that it is important for the Bison to stay competitive and get a better playing surface in the dome?

From what I have heard Astroturf is comperable to concrete. I know it's easy to set up and take down, but if we really want our program to continue to grow, I think it should be considered.

Field Turf is the wave of the future for playing fields. Granted it would be expensive and more difficult for Fargodome staff to setup/teardown/maintain, but wouldn't it be worth it for recruiting and keeping our facilities top notch?

The turf in the Fargodome now is actually quite spongy...It gives a little more than the stuff they had when it first opened, which was very hard, considering it was used.

02Bison
11-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Are you Bisonfan1234 reincarnated?

X-Factor
11-11-2007, 07:06 PM
The Dome authority would not allow Field turf or any non-removable turf setup mostly because there is no way to move the Dant over such a surface so that smaller concerts could be accommodated.

When the new basketball arena is finished that would probably eliminate the need to move the Dant, and then maybe field turf can be talked about at that time. But until then it is not going to work.

onbison09
11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Field turf looks nicer and players like it. Too bad something can't be worked out. It also is very expensive. I know the Patriots spent something like $1 million to get it installed.

HerdBot
11-11-2007, 08:52 PM
The Fargodome turf is outstanding. It's nothing like the old school astro turf we used to have at the dome and Dakotah Field before. It's very soft and forgiving on your knees.

bisonmike2
11-11-2007, 09:33 PM
field turf can now be set up in trays and stacked like pizza boxes for storage.

97tegls
11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
yea it would be nice to have some thing like field turf... my uncle coaches in wayzata mn and i believe thats what they have for their outdoor stadium... its such a nice field for a HS team... but if the dome was strictly for and just football games then we all could see them changing for a better surface, but sadly its not... well i guess we will just have to let in pan out and see if they will think about something like field turf, but dont look for it here in the near future, but now that it is able to be taken down and stacked then it will probably take up just as much space if not a little more than the field being rolled up so i think it would be a great improvement.... thats my $0.02...

BisBison
11-12-2007, 05:29 PM
field turf can now be set up in trays and stacked like pizza boxes for storage.

I've heard that too, but how much time and man hours does it take to do that vs. rolling up the turf now?

bisonmike2
11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I've heard that too, but how much time and man hours does it take to do that vs. rolling up the turf now?

I have no idea. Could be alot but maybe it's not that bad if you get a couple of guys in forklifts running around? I think benefit of having new field turf would off set the extra set up/down time.

GrebdNodak
11-12-2007, 06:52 PM
The change from the awful fluorescent green stuff they used to have at the Metrodome to the current field turf was a major visual upgrade. No doubt it's better for the players' knees and ankles, too. And I think all readers agree, nothing is too good for our Bison heroes!

bisonaudit
11-12-2007, 06:56 PM

They say 10 hours to convert the Rogers Centre (SkyDome) to/from baseball/football. They use the tray system w/ FieldTurf. I imagine that it would be significantly less than that to go to/from football to a concert or event setting because you wouldn't have to deal w/ infield cutouts, rechalking the field or any of that mess, you'd just have to cover it, plus it's less area in the FargoDome than Rogers Centre by quite a bit.

Probably more akin to converting between basketball and hockey in a multipurpose arena. Chicago does this in 4 hours w/ 20 people. The first time they did it, it took 30 people 24 hours to accomplish. So obviously a ton of efficiencies can be wrung out of these processes.

Bison101
11-12-2007, 10:43 PM
FieldTurf is the only option. Stay competitive with the big ones. Get recruits. Attract more experienced teams to OUR field.

Too bad the Fargodome won't allow it.:smh:

56BISON73
11-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I Have a question.
Have any of the players complained about the current playing field??? I havent heard any myself so Im trying to figure out why this keeps being a topic of discussion when the playing surface is relatively new.. PL

Bisonguy
11-13-2007, 02:33 AM
I Have a question.
Have any of the players complained about the current playing field??? I havent heard any myself so Im trying to figure out why this keeps being a topic of discussion when the playing surface is relatively new.. PL

A few people on here dream about Fieldturf.

The current surface has at least 3-5 years left on it, and will probably be replaced with one of the new synthetics at that time.

Honestly, after being on the turf at the Metrodome, I don't see what the big deal about Fieldturf is.

56BISON73
11-13-2007, 02:36 AM
A few people on here dream about Fieldturf.

The current surface has at least 3-5 years left on it, and will probably be replaced with one of the new synthetics at that time.

Honestly, after being on the turf at the Metrodome, I don't see what the big deal about Fieldturf is.

Ive been out on the field and the stuff looks and feels great compared to the old astro and or tartan turf. PL