PDA

View Full Version : Eleven-Game Playoff Series - This Bison Season

CaBisonFan
11-11-2007, 06:40 AM
This team...because of the circumstances...and because of what it has done...is above the playoffs...especially now. Every game has been a playoff game. It will have been an eleven-game playoff series. If they win in Brookings...they will have won eleven playoff games consecutively. This is what they had to aim for. Anything less...for them...would be a letdown.

If the NCAA suddenly developed a brain within the next week, and invited the Bison to be in the playoffs...for me...I'd say...ah..."NCAA...you don't deserve this team. We've already done it."

But backing up a moment...let me repeat...the game in Brookings could be the toughest game of the year.

Bison fans...this is the championship game. This is for the marbles.

Please call off any other plans and make it to Brookings. If there's no tickets...walk in anyway. There's a ton of standing room on the hills at Coughlin Stadium.

This is our national championship finale.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-11-2007, 08:43 AM
This team...because of the circumstances...and because of what it has done...is above the playoffs...especially now. Every game has been a playoff game. It will have been an eleven-game playoff series. If they win in Brookings...they will have won eleven playoff games consecutively. This is what they had to aim for. Anything less...for them...would be a letdown.

If the NCAA suddenly developed a brain within the next week, and invited the Bison to be in the playoffs...for me...I'd say...ah..."NCAA...you don't deserve this team. We've already done it."

But backing up a moment...let me repeat...the game in Brookings could be the toughest game of the year.

Please call off any other plans and make it to Brookings. If there's no tickets...walk in anyway. There's a ton of standing room on the hills at Coughlin Stadium.

I don't have tickets yet but will be getting them within a day. If sold out I will somehow be there. I will not miss this game. I REPEAT I will not miss this game.

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Kudos to your enthusiasm, but I must say I don't really understand your post. What are you saying, that NDSU will have won the national title even though they didn't, you know, win the national title? By virtue of a perfect season which for all of its challenges does not include a single I-AA playoff team, that the regular season somehow becomes a playoff? Believe me, at least five of the playoff qualifiers will be better than every team you have played all year, Minnesota and Central Michigan included. There are other undefeated teams in the FCS, what about them? Have they 'already done it' as well? Look, it is not a good situation and I think the entire FCS nation would like to see how NDSU would fare in the playoffs. But IMO you should accept it for what it is, a perfect season where incomplete eligibility prevents an earned chance to win the title (with homefield through the first rounds), rather than making it into something it is not, which is a national championship.

THEsocalledfan
11-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Kudos to your enthusiasm, but I must say I don't really understand your post. What are you saying, that NDSU will have won the national title even though they didn't, you know, win the national title? By virtue of a perfect season which for all of its challenges does not include a single I-AA playoff team, that the regular season somehow becomes a playoff? Believe me, at least five of the playoff qualifiers will be better than every team you have played all year, Minnesota and Central Michigan included. There are other undefeated teams in the FCS, what about them? Have they 'already done it' as well? Look, it is not a good situation and I think the entire FCS nation would like to see how NDSU would fare in the playoffs. But IMO you should accept it for what it is, a perfect season where incomplete eligibility prevents an earned chance to win the title (with homefield through the first rounds), rather than making it into something it is not, which is a national championship.

Troll. Crawl back in your hole.

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Troll. Crawl back in your hole.

It was a serious post, not deserving of such a stupid response and certainly below what I am used to on this message board. If anyone has something intelligent to say, I would be glad to hear it.

90BISON
11-11-2007, 07:58 PM
CaBison, you must have been the greatest fisherman ever. The bait was barely in the water and he swallowed it all, including the rod.;)

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
CaBison, you must have been the greatest fisherman ever. The bait was barely in the water and he swallowed it all, including the rod.;)

Oh, so it was just a joke? Okay, you got me. Congratulations on the win.

onbison09
11-11-2007, 08:22 PM
What five teams?

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
What five teams?

Well, this is sort of subjective and I can't definitely say that five FCS playoff teams are definitely better; it is more my opinion. But, to begin with, Northern Iowa, Appalachian State, and Southern Illinois are all better than Central Michigan, which I rank as NDSU's strongest opponent. Just to add a measure of objectivity, all three of those teams are ranked higher in the Sagarin ratings than anyone NDSU has played. Then I would say that Montana, Delaware (which put up over 60 on Navy), and Massachusetts (which lost by 10 to Boston College) are quite clearly better anyone NDSU has played, Central Michigan's high Sagarin rating notwithstanding. So, to me at least, that is six. Then you have teams like Georgia Southern, Wofford, and undefeated McNeese State, all of which arguably are better than Central Michigan on a neutral field, though arguably not.
That said, I am not sure if any of those teams are better than NDSU. I suspect Northern Iowa is, but I am biased. But what makes an FCS Championship so hard to win is that you actually have to match up against those teams, all of which are motivated, and when the opponent is that good often the best team does not win. That is what makes a champion, not an undefeated regular season.

westriver bison
11-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Those teams may be better than any team the Bison played. I suspect your coming here is an attempt to bash our schedule. We know for sure App. State turned us down, I suspect every team on your list was contacted by Gene Taylor, including the might Northern Iowa. All of them refused. At least next year not all of the good teams can duck us. Now go lay in the corner like a good dog and lick your balls.

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Um....didn't you play UND last year?? How did that go? Oh yeah. We only last to Minnesota last year and are better this year then last. Meanwhile you didnt even beat the Sioux at home. Sioux fans admitedly know they would not come close to beating us this year and last year. For them to admit that is hard to do.

You are talking about our schedule and you guys played MANKATO! If we do the score comparison thing our destroying of Illinois St is somewhat a wash with how you handeled W Illinois. Southern Utah next week so should roll there. Best comparison may be SDSU as we will both have played at Brookings. With the exception of Iowa State and SDSU your non conference schedule is pretty weak.

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Those teams may be better than any team the Bison played. I suspect your coming here is an attempt to bash our schedule. We know for sure App. State turned us down, I suspect every team on your list was contacted by Gene Taylor, including the might Northern Iowa. All of them refused. At least next year not all of the good teams can duck us. Now go lay in the corner like a good dog and lick your balls.

A bit sensitive, aren't you? My post is what it is; if you agree that my point is correct, I don't see how you can fault me for making it. Suspect anything you want to suspect. I don't think you played a weak schedule by any means, I was merely disagreeing with the notion NDSU can claim a championship over the FCS without actually playing any of its top teams. Were they ducking NDSU? I accept that App. State turned you down, but a team that is not afraid to play the Wolverines and has won two titles probably would not be afraid to play anyone in FCS. The fact is that there are a lot of reasons why such an agreement might fall through. But you are right, those days are over now that NSDU is joining the Gateway. Never again will it win all of its games and not receive a top seed in the playoffs.
I am not a dog and if you were here in the same room as me you would not call me that. So take advantage of the anonymity of the internet, in a cowardly fashion, if that brings you some sort of fulfillment. Sticking to football would be more dignified, not to mention polite.

westriver bison
11-11-2007, 09:41 PM
A bit sensitive, aren't you? My post is what it is; if you agree that my point is correct, I don't see how you can fault me for making it. Suspect anything you want to suspect. I don't think you played a weak schedule by any means, I was merely disagreeing with the notion NDSU can claim a championship over the FCS without actually playing any of its top teams. Were they ducking NDSU? I accept that App. State turned you down, but a team that is not afraid to play the Wolverines and has won two titles probably would not be afraid to play anyone in FCS. The fact is that there are a lot of reasons why such an agreement might fall through. But you are right, those days are over now that NSDU is joining the Gateway. Never again will it win all of its games and not receive a top seed in the playoffs.
I am not a dog and if you were here in the same room as me you would not call me that. So take advantage of the anonymity of the internet, in a cowardly fashion, if that brings you some sort of fulfillment. Sticking to football would be more dignified, not to mention polite.

I said your point may be correct. We will never know. Talk about sensitive, I didn't say you are a dog, I said to act like one. If you are as big a @ss in real life as you are on Bisonville I would have no problem telling you to go lay in the corner.

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 09:41 PM
"With the exception of Iowa State and SDSU your non conference schedule is pretty weak." That's half of our non-conference schedule, so I don't see your point. UNI's schedule is plenty difficult. And we had four consecutive games on the road at one point.
Yes, UNI lost to UND last year. We were also 7-4 and did not make the playoffs. People still talk about that game as one of the most embarrasing losses in UNI history. We are a lot better this year. Besides, I saw that game and I have never seen UNI more flat or play worse. RE the comparisons, we will never know. I do know that we handled SDSU on the road in a game that was not as close as the final score, but that was just one game. And I never really said much about your schedule, just pointed out the fact that you have not played a playoff team. That is not an opinion but an objective fact, so don't blame me. Geez.

Um....didn't you play UND last year?? How did that go? Oh yeah. We only last to Minnesota last year and are better this year then last. Meanwhile you didnt even beat the Sioux at home. Sioux fans admitedly know they would not come close to beating us this year and last year. For them to admit that is hard to do.

You are talking about our schedule and you guys played MANKATO! If we do the score comparison thing our destroying of Illinois St is somewhat a wash with how you handeled W Illinois. Southern Utah next week so should roll there. Best comparison may be SDSU as we will both have played at Brookings. With the exception of Iowa State and SDSU your non conference schedule is pretty weak.

02Bison
11-11-2007, 09:44 PM

The championship is won in the playoffs, for which the Bison are not eligible. Those are the rules and the Bison know them. I just hope that when this is all said and done, with the Bison being undefeated after playing the Jacks in Brookings next weekend, that we don't have Bison Fans talking crap to whomever may win the FCS National Championship. Whomever comes out on top in this years playoff bracket, deserves to be national champion because they are the champion of the eligible teams.

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Ok, so you compare me to a dog, and I am the ass? If you would tell a person who disagrees with you about football to go in the corner and lick their balls like a dog, you have real problems.

I said your point may be correct. We will never know. Talk about sensitive, I didn't say you are a dog, I said to act like one. If you are as big a @ss in real life as you are on Bisonville I would have no problem telling you to go lay in the corner.

westriver bison
11-11-2007, 09:47 PM
The championship is won in the playoffs, for which the Bison are not eligible. Those are the rules and the Bison know them. I just hope that when this is all said and done, with the Bison being undefeated after playing the Jacks in Brookings next weekend, that we don't have Bison Fans talking crap to whomever may win the FCS National Championship. Whomever comes out on top in this years playoff bracket, deserves to be national champion because they are the champion of the eligible teams.

I agree 100%!! I also hope fans of teams in the playoffs don't bash NDSU or our schedule. We have every reason to celebrate this season and no reason to take crap from fans of other teams.

BlueBisonRock
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
My post is what it is; if you agree that my point is correct, I don't see how you can fault me for making it. Suspect anything you want to suspect. I don't think you played a weak schedule by any means, I was merely disagreeing with the notion NDSU can claim a championship over the FCS without actually playing any of its top teams.

Your point is well made and is supported by most on this board. The FCS championship is earned on the field.

That said, It is also appropriate for the Bison community to acknowledge the strength and resolve of this team. And to express their frustration with the purgetory in which this years team has been placed. The Bison community is showing this team the respect and giving the props that are richly deserved knowing that the FCS championship will determine the number one team.

Your reception may seem harsh however your namesake trolled into this forum last week and made an a$$ of himself. This does make it difficult for any on this board to take your comments seriously.

Given you are not the same individual who trolled in last week, lets agree on this simple arraingement: The Bison acknowledge that the FCS championship will be earned on the field; You recognize that the Bison owe and are entitled to recognize this team; You accept that any poll results simply establish the Bison as one of the best teams in the FCS this year - even though they will not be in the playoffs.

ndsubison1
11-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Dont forget abut the almighty Drake on UNI's schedule...

skolbrother
11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
The Bison can finish 11-0 and a possible #1 ranking. Should we be entitled to more, possibly, but if that is what we do in the transition stage it should rightly make others a bit nervous. It appears it has.

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Your point is well made and is supported by most on this board. The FCS championship is earned on the field.

That said, It is also appropriate for the Bison community to acknowledge the strength and resolve of this team. And to express their frustration with the purgetory in which this years team has been placed. The Bison community is showing this team the respect and giving the props that are richly deserved knowing that the FCS championship will determine the number one team.

Your reception may seem harsh however your namesake trolled into this forum last week and made an a$$ of himself. This does make it difficult for any on this board to take your comments seriously.

Given you are not the same individual who trolled in last week, lets agree on this simple arraingement: The Bison acknowledge that the FCS championship will be earned on the field; You recognize that the Bison owe and are entitled to recognize this team; You accept that any poll results simply establish the Bison as one of the best teams in the FCS this year - even though they will not be in the playoffs.

Oh certainly, I absolutely think that Bison fans should recognize their team's successes, and I certainly accept the possibility that NDSU could be the best team in the FCS this year. It is a shame about the purgatory you are in, and I appreciate that you acknowledge that the playoffs determine the champion. Of course, it is a two-way thing; the winner will be champion of the FCS, but they won't be able to claim a title over you, if that makes any sense. The fact is you won't really be full-fledged FCS until the probation, or whatever it is that prevents you from competing in the the playoffs, is over.
I wasn't trying to offend anyone or be an ass, just calling it as I see it. I read the board, I disagree with the point I perceive that is being made, so I am not afraid to log in and voice my point of view. If that makes me an ass, so be it.

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 10:16 PM
No, I am not at all nervous about the Bison competing in the FCS or in the Gateway conference. I welcome the competition and I want the Gateway to be as strong as possible. I think that history shows that the other teams in the conference benefit when a strong member comes in, even if it means one more tough game. And yes, we played at Drake. I never said that we do not play patsies. You know, that game was scheduled at the last minute because someone else (I think it was Northern Illinois) fell through and Drake was the only ones willing to play us, on conditition that it was at their stadium.

X-Factor
11-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, this is sort of subjective and I can't definitely say that five FCS playoff teams are definitely better; it is more my opinion. But, to begin with, Northern Iowa, Appalachian State, and Southern Illinois are all better than Central Michigan, which I rank as NDSU's strongest opponent. Just to add a measure of objectivity, all three of those teams are ranked higher in the Sagarin ratings than anyone NDSU has played. Then I would say that Montana, Delaware (which put up over 60 on Navy), and Massachusetts (which lost by 10 to Boston College) are quite clearly better anyone NDSU has played, Central Michigan's high Sagarin rating notwithstanding. So, to me at least, that is six. Then you have teams like Georgia Southern, Wofford, and undefeated McNeese State, all of which arguably are better than Central Michigan on a neutral field, though arguably not.
That said, I am not sure if any of those teams are better than NDSU. I suspect Northern Iowa is, but I am biased. But what makes an FCS Championship so hard to win is that you actually have to match up against those teams, all of which are motivated, and when the opponent is that good often the best team does not win. That is what makes a champion, not an undefeated regular season.

So when is the last time UNI has beat two FBS teams in one season? :hide:

I don't think CMU is as bad as you make them out to be. It took some trickery and lucky 4th quarter heroics for SIU to come up with a win against 1 - 9 Northern Illinois. CMU took them out behind the woodshed a few weeks later. Of course, everyone knows what NDSU did to CMU.

I suspect NDSU is better than Northern Iowa, and luckily our guys will have the opportunity to prove which team is better at reloading when they meet 10/18/08. We even give you guys the home field advantage ;)

BlueBisonRock
11-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I suspect NDSU is better than Northern Iowa, and luckily our guys will have the opportunity to prove which team is better at reloading when they meet 10/18/08. We even give you guys the home field advantage ;)

I will be there!

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 11:03 PM
I agree 100%!! I also hope fans of teams in the playoffs don't bash NDSU or our schedule. We have every reason to celebrate this season and no reason to take crap from fans of other teams.

On paper this schedule was supposed to be tougher then last years before the season started. It's not our fault the other teams didnt live up to what they were supposed to be.

As far as the score of the SDSU game looks closer then it was. Our Minnesota score was alot closer then the game was as well as Illinois State. That could have and probably should have been a 70-14 game but we called the dogs off when we had 54 points already in the third quarter..

pantherhawkrolling
11-11-2007, 11:18 PM
So when is the last time UNI has beat two FBS teams in one season? :hide:

I don't think CMU is as bad as you make them out to be. It took some trickery and lucky 4th quarter heroics for SIU to come up with a win against 1 - 9 Northern Illinois. CMU took them out behind the woodshed a few weeks later. Of course, everyone knows what NDSU did to CMU.

The last time UNI beat two FBS schools in the same season? I am sure never, though I think they have had only one crack at it (2001, when they lost to Iowa State and beat Ball State). I do know that UNI has beaten the past three MAC teams it has played and has a close to .500 record against FBS competition, with all of the contests being played on the road. I don't think CMU is bad at all, in fact NDSU's win might be the second most impressive FCS win of the season, after Appalachian over Michigan obviously. But no, I don't think they are as good as the top seven FCS teams.
Funny you bring up the Southern Illinois game, it was very similar to the miracle finishes you guys had against Sam Houston State and Cal Poly. It was close, but Southern Illinois still beat the Huskies, just like you still beat those two teams.
Big surprise here, the UNI fan thinks UNI is better and the NDSU fan thinks NDSU is better. Both teams are unbeaten and the records against common opponents are very similar, guess we have to agree to disagree. Can't wait for the game next year.:hungry:

bisonpride2k
11-12-2007, 12:02 AM
New years day bowl game. NDSU vs UNI at the metrodome. Winner take all. Any takers? :biggrin:

CaBisonFan
11-12-2007, 03:07 AM

You are correct...you don't understand the post.

CaBisonFan
11-12-2007, 03:08 AM

This dude is a bottom feeder...like a bullhead. Easy catch.

Thanks

CaBisonFan
11-12-2007, 03:09 AM

You have to wonder why a UNI fan is hanging out here. We're not going to be playing them. I've never gone to their board...and I could care less.

It's called not having a life.

Thanks

CaBisonFan
11-12-2007, 03:11 AM

Before this weekend UNI's opponents had a record of 48-50. I looked up the numbers last week.

This guy bites the hook without bait on it.

CaBisonFan
11-12-2007, 03:13 AM
The last time UNI beat two FBS schools in the same season? I am sure never, though I think they have had only one crack at it (2001, when they lost to Iowa State and beat Ball State). I do know that UNI has beaten the past three MAC teams it has played and has a close to .500 record against FBS competition, with all of the contests being played on the road. I don't think CMU is bad at all, in fact NDSU's win might be the second most impressive FCS win of the season, after Appalachian over Michigan obviously. But no, I don't think they are as good as the top seven FCS teams.
Funny you bring up the Southern Illinois game, it was very similar to the miracle finishes you guys had against Sam Houston State and Cal Poly. It was close, but Southern Illinois still beat the Huskies, just like you still beat those two teams.
Big surprise here, the UNI fan thinks UNI is better and the NDSU fan thinks NDSU is better. Both teams are unbeaten and the records against common opponents are very similar, guess we have to agree to disagree. Can't wait for the game next year.:hungry:

You beat ISU. They're horrible. You just beat SUU. Wow

I've looked at the UNI schedule. It's nothing to write home about. What in the hell is your point of being here?

Do you have a life? Or is it you and your computer?

90BISON
11-12-2007, 03:19 AM

You have to wonder why a UNI fan is hanging out here. We're not going to be playing them. I've never gone to their board...and I could care less.

It's called not having a life.

Thanks

I was hoping no one else would have replied after my first reply, but no such luck. Whenever you engage people like this, obviously on complete polar ends of an arguement, it usually ends up spiraling out of control until people want to start punching holes in their computer screen.:banghead: Hope you enjoyed the game, fun to watch in person aren't they? Their fans had to just be shell shocked. I'm guessing their player reaction was much like the SHSU guys, with the only difference being the Cal Poly guys could kind of seeing it unfolding before their eyes, just beyond their power to stop it.:D

CaBisonFan
11-12-2007, 03:45 AM
I was hoping no one else would have replied after my first reply, but no such luck. Whenever you engage people like this, obviously on complete polar ends of an arguement, it usually ends up spiraling out of control until people want to start punching holes in their computer screen.:banghead: Hope you enjoyed the game, fun to watch in person aren't they? Their fans had to just be shell shocked. I'm guessing their player reaction was much like the SHSU guys, with the only difference being the Cal Poly guys could kind of seeing it unfolding before their eyes, just beyond their power to stop it.:D

You're right. This thread needs to die. I should have paid more attention to your first reply. I'm not going to respond write any more here, and hopefully it will work its way down the board.

I've never been so depressed and then so excited in one game. I got to talk with Steve Walker after the game and I asked him if he enjoys that kind of excitement. He just smiled.

My sister said that Phil Hansen and the guys were talking about a whole lot of people with their heads down and their jaws on the floor.

Really, really tough loss for Cal Poly...especially with some hope of a playoff spot.

Fun to watch is an understatement.

I had a GREAT time. Meeting so many people from here was a big part of it.

Bison101
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
FCS championship, huh? I think a good championship would be between UNI and NDSU. Then it would be fair. The end.