PDA

View Full Version : new BB marketing sucks

HerdBot
11-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Last year we had some great marketing with the "Big Names. Big Games" campaign. This years "Step Up To The Summit" advertising is a HORRIBLE! It looks small time, bush league, and something like Jamestown or a D3 team would do.

I know they all can't be as good as this years "Will You Be There?" but is this the best we can do?

Tatanka
11-11-2007, 04:20 AM
yes, what ad wizard came up with THIS pile of poo?

Swat_Team10
11-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Just jumped over here from the football threads...and have to agree with this one...real dumb ad. I wonder if that is something Flint Communications did. They are the ad agency that does the sports campaign for NDSU athletics. Looks like strike two if thats the case....first wiff came on that horrable intro for Bison Football. This being number two!

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
It is definately bad. To think that somone actiually gets paid pretty well to come up with stuff that bad.

As far as intro's are concerned they should NEVER go away from "Thunder Struck" as intro music for anything. It makes too much sense considering our mascot and to top it off it is a song that can get you pumped just from the energy of the song. They should have something similar for the starting line ups for basketball instead of our standard drum/clap thing.

aces1180
11-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Just jumped over here from the football threads...and have to agree with this one...real dumb ad. I wonder if that is something Flint Communications did. They are the ad agency that does the sports campaign for NDSU athletics. Looks like strike two if thats the case....first wiff came on that horrable intro for Bison Football. This being number two!

Let's not forget "Scream Yellow!"...Makes me cringe typing that.

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 11:51 PM

Scene from the meeting where they developed that briliant idea.... :bong:

Reaction from everyone after they sobered up and realized what they came up with....:banghead:

DIGRAPPLER
11-12-2007, 01:21 AM
I probably will not go to any games because the commercial is so bad. Yeah right! To me it really doesn't matter all that much in the big picture.

90BISON
11-12-2007, 05:57 AM

Makes me have to pee.:D

02Bison
11-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Hey, scream yellow must have worked because there sure were a lot of fans here screaming about wearing YELLOW earlier this year!

02Bison
11-13-2007, 03:01 AM
The new step up to the Summit song reminds me of the Bears Superbowl Shuffle jingle.....the marketing went back to the 80's!

onbison09
11-13-2007, 03:27 AM
What is the ad like?

NDSUSPORTSPORTS
11-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I think the new BB marketing is just fine. It incorporates everything the team is trying to do this year...step up to the next level of competition plus it is the first year for the summit league.
Solid

HerdBot
11-18-2007, 06:23 AM
I think the new BB marketing is just fine. It incorporates everything the team is trying to do this year...step up to the next level of competition plus it is the first year for the summit league.
Solid

Do we want to be FINE or elite? I think it tacky and is bush league. It's like some marketing person was trying to be cool and appeal to the younger crowd and failed big time. You can tell it's not very effective considering we've averaged 2,000 per game. In all fairness we haven't played anyone.

The rise in yellow has nothing to do with the "scream yellow" marketing years ago. NDSU has come out publically and declared "yellow outs" and it's been done on a grass roots level. A few radio stations have been handing out free yellow and I tell all my friends to wear yellow because of it. Except to Gophers games.:)

NDSUFan_Sav
11-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I really don't think this will affect fans to be honest with you. With the players we got true fans know about bison basketball and the capabilities. Wed. we played Minot St. what do you expect 4500+ fans get real here. Saturday we brought 6,000+ to SD and I was planning on going to the bball game heard the score 40-10 and decided against going, so I don't know what you predict the # of fans would of been??? What are you hoping to avg. this season with fans??

BisonSportsNut
11-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Of course us bisonville nutjobs think this is bush league, but to the fargo moorhead community (the target of this campaign) this is sweet. from what i have seen so far, it is great. My good friend called me after driving by the new billboard telling me how cool he thought it was.

I agree with the previous post....you cant expect 4500 for minot state. Wait until we start in our conference schedule. that should help.

We wont start getting 4500 for minot state until we build a reputation in D-1, which is happening as we speak.

ad guy
11-21-2007, 06:29 PM
The new basketball ad for NDSU is, from my point of view, an attempt by an "older" writing staff at Flint to expose the popularity between basketball and the hip-hop culture. But this ad is about 15 years to late, it looks like something straight out of 1993. The old "graffi" effects and lame rap make me want to change the channel. I hate it.

But with that said, a commercial makes no difference to whether I buy into Bison basketball or not. The product is what Ben and gang do on the court. The best Bison basketball commercials are the ones on the 10 o'clock news, or better yet ESPN, after a big win (Marquette, Wisconsin).

I love Bison Basketball and can't wait to get to the conference schedule, should be fun!

Good try with this one, but I think the writers missed the mark.

Trim
11-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Of course us bisonville nutjobs

I like that one!

bisonmike2
11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
anyone have any pics of the billboards?