PDA

View Full Version : Hello Bison Fans!

GhettoGator
11-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Florida Gator here with a friendly "Hello!"

Just wanted to give you guys a quick run-down on the revamped Gator team you'll be facing tomorrow night and wish you well.

First of all, understand that the Gators and their fans take ND State very seriously. As you probably already know, Coach Donovan proclaimed that a win over ND State would be his most impressive and important season opener in his career here. You've got his attention.

Anyways, you all probably know that we lost, for all intents and purposes, all our contributors from our 2X National Championship team with the exception of Walter Hodge and Marreese Speights. They've all been replaced with highly touted freshmen or sophomores from last season who just didn't see the floor a lot. We looked pretty good in our two exhibition games but, against inferior talent, our perceived weaknesses and youth could not really be exposed. I do expect both to be tested tomorrow night against your Bison.

What we expect to do well in 2007/08:

We go 9-10 deep. All of our guys can run and most can score from anywhere on the floor. We're very athletic. Lots of guys can fill it up from downtown. Despite our youth, we do have a LOT of pure talent. We're coached by Billy Donovan who, we Gators believe to be the best in the biz.

Where we expect to struggle:

We're small. Most of the freshmen who will play extended minutes this season need to put on weight, most notably swingman Chandler Parsons and PF Alex Tyus. Speights is a superstar and Tyus is going to be great but is very raw. Our only other "true" post presence is Dan Werner, who has been struggling mightily with his shot and his confidence. We lack upper-classmen leadership. Lastly and, perhaps most importantly, we're YOUNG. Very young. This team literally has no senior leadership.

Ok..now, player by player (Projected Starting Five First):

JR SG/PG Walter Hodge: He's the team's elder statesman and leader. He's got a nice outside shot and can penetrate and score when need be. A very solid player who may actually leave school after this season to play pro ball in Puerto Rico to support his family. Early in his career, his hair and beard were rather long, earning him the appropriate nickname "Teen Wolf." When you see him tomorrow, imagine him with those features. Uncanny.

SO PF/C Marreese Speights: Our best player. Has the most deft touch with the basketball that I have ever seen from a UF big man. Hands of gold. Excellent shot-blocking instincts. Has only been playing the game a few years. Has to play with a lot of caution as UF CANNOT afford to have him in foul trouble. Was mentored by some pretty good ones in Noah, Horford and Richard.

SO PF/SF Dan Werner: Other than Hodge/Speights, Werner got the most PT last year. He's a big guy with a good outside shot but no confidence. Can appear slow at times on the defensive end of the floor but has very good passing and defending instincts. If he ever develops the confidence he needs on the offensive side of the floor her can be a very productive player for us.

FR PG Jai Lucas: A very talented, fast, gifted and heady PG. Son of former NBA PG and Head Coach John Lucas. Is a very good floor general who can score and penetrate when the need arises but seems content (thus far, at least) to let the game come to him and be a floor general. Excellent atmaking the "hustle plays," such as diving for loose balls and taking charges. Hopefully he turns out as good as our last coach's son PG, Taurean Green (Son of Sidney Green).

FR PG/SG/SF Nick Calathes: A star waiting to happen. Can do it all. Gets a little fancy at times and can also be guilty at times of passing too much instead of taking his own shot but, I'm nitpicking. Nick is really, really good. Sees the floor like few I've ever seen. Versatile as well. If we're to win tomorrow night, he and Speights will be the keys to said victory.

Ok, subs:

FR SF/PF Chandler Parsons: Nick Calathes' high school teammate at Lake Howell Prep (FLA). He and Nick obviously know each other very well and play well together on the court. Once Chan puts on a few pounds he may develop into the best player on this team. Shoots the 3 extraordinarily well for a big guy and can take it to the hole like a deft PG with size. His only weaknesses are his size and inexperience.

FR SG/SF Adam Allen: A hustle guy who has the sweetest 3 pt stroke on the team. However, don't pigeon-hole the guy into being the prototypical "3 point shooting white kid." Adam is very athletic and is not afraid to mix it up with anyone. Weakness on the defensive end is that he is not always quick enough to guard other 2's when he's playing the SG. Son of a former Florida State player who chose UF over FSU (LOL!!!!:) )

FR PF Alex Tyus: A long, lanky PF who can jump out of the gym. Very raw on offense and defense although he does seem to have a good understanding of the game and a nice touch from 5-10 feet away. Will play a lot tomorrow. Would probably be best served in a reserve role in '07/08 due to his raw style of play and his size but we just can't afford it.

SO SF/PF Johnathon Mitchell: An enigma. Formerly Mr. Basketball in New York, Mitchell has been tentative this year on both ends of the floor; more noticeably on the offensive end. Very long and athletic. Has a nice perimeter shot, if only he'd use it once in a while. Don't know how well he penetrates. Never seen him try.

Anyways, that's us in a relatively large nutshell. I'm curious - can we expect a large ND contingent tomorrow?

Good luck guys...in case any of you want to visit us Gators, come on down to www.gatorcountry.com and hit the "Nuttin' But Net" forums. I'm a moderator down there - you'll be treated well.

99Bison
11-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the info, interesting stuff!

Unfortunately the ND contingent will probably be 90% lighter than it would be pretty much any other day. The undefeated football team plays in CA on Saturday and everyone is leaving for that on Friday afternoon.

I tried fairly hard to get round about flights through FL to CA, but not very much luck unless you want a 2,000 plane ticket :-/

The game will shown all around the region on TV, so watering holes will probably have some good crowds.

BTW, I am going to be on the radio tomorrow in Gainsville (Don't remember the station) talking about the basketball game around 12:25 Eastern time.

GhettoGator
11-09-2007, 02:22 AM
Would that be The Star 99.5 with Heath Cline? Other possibility is AM 850..

99Bison
11-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Would that be The Star 99.5 with Heath Cline? Other possibility is AM 850..

Ninty something FM is what I heard... They called me out of the blue today to setup a time to get me on air... Hence I was trying to figure out what was going on for the first half the call.

NDSUstudent
11-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the info Ghettogator. I have to admit I don't know much about this years Gator team so that helped.

I doubt there will a lot of Bison fans there since we have a big football game in California on Saturday but I'm sure a few will make it. The game is on TV up here in ND so I'm sure there will a ton of fans watching. Anyways, I'm pretty pumped about this game. I think we'll give your young guys a nice test and I know our guys are definitely looking forward to the challange.

99Bison
11-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Yep you got it, I did a lookup on the phone number and comes back to Heath!

Mr_Meanor
11-09-2007, 03:11 AM
I am making the trip down there tomorrow. Should be a great trip...even better if the Bison can come away with the win!! If anyone else on this board is going let me know and I will look for you at the pre-game party if you are there.

GhettoGator
11-09-2007, 03:12 AM
I doubt there will a lot of Bison fans there since we have a big football game in California on Saturday but I'm sure a few will make it. The game is on TV up here in ND so I'm sure there will a ton of fans watching. Anyways, I'm pretty pumped about this game. I think we'll give your young guys a nice test and I know our guys are definitely looking forward to the challange.

Understandable. Besides, it's not as if we're neighbors - as 99Bison said, it's an expensive trip. Best of luck in the game!

GhettoGator
11-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Yep you got it, I did a lookup on the phone number and comes back to Heath!

Figured as much. I'll listen for you. Heath's okay...just prepare to hear the phrase "in terms of" a whole bunch.

sambini
11-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks for your insight Ghetto and Welcome to BISONVILLE.

EagleBison
11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Lucas was recruited by Tubby Smith at Minnesota. Tubby did gets some good recruits, aka Ralph Sampson's son. Even though Florida lost their team from last year, they could be better than ranked Marquette and Wisconsin were when the Bison upset them.

DORMIE
11-09-2007, 01:29 PM
GHETTO I would loved to have gotten to the game as I'd probably have some friends there. I'm the tournament chairman if the Roger Maris Celebrity Golf Tournament here in Fargo. Last year we had 84-6 somes (504 players). The Maris family lives in Gainsville. One of Kevin's best friends, Tom Collette always plays here and is the announcer for Gater Basketball. Dave Fallo, a son of one of the girls told me he had seats behind the visitors bench. What a wonderful opportunity to be playing the likes of The University Of Florida. Thanks for the friendly welcome. If you happen to know Tom and Dave or any of the Maris guys, give them my regards

GhettoGator
11-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I actually played in a few little league all-star tournaments with Kevin Maris. I'm 30 years old now so I'd assume he's about the same. Nice family.

Sure sounds like you've got a lot of Gainesville connections - shame you couldn't make it down but, I completely understand.

Hey 99Bison, how did your interview with Heath Cline go? I was out of the listening area this afternoon - very disappointed I missed it.

Don't want to make you guys jealous or anything but, I'm about to work out for 30 mins then start tossing back a few Sam Adams before the game. I live about a mile from the stadium. Of course, it looks like you guys will be watching the game from the friendly confines of BWIII's so, you're probably not all that jealous.

Good luck tonight! My pre-game jitters are starting to kick in...worried you guys may be a bit too experienced for us.

onbison09
11-10-2007, 04:47 AM
What did you and the Florida fans think of the Herd?

GhettoGator
11-10-2007, 03:25 PM
What did you and the Florida fans think of the Herd?

I thought you guys were an EXCELLENT team. Watching you guys warm up reminded me of Pleasantville. You're very well coached, very fundamentally sound, and surprisingly athletic. I've never seen a team take Speights out of his game the way you guys did. After we were up 32-17, a lot of my friends thought we were going to blow the game open. I advised them otherwise and was, of course, correct. I was very impressed with the Bison, especially Woodside (who played a little out of control in the first half but settled down in the 2nd), Twei, and Winkleman.

I do think you guys relied a little too heavily upon the three in the first half.

Anyways, again, great game. You guys will be a force to be reckoned with. Hope to see you in March. Actually, I hope we don't see you, but I surely hope you're there.

No_Skill
11-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought you guys were an EXCELLENT team. Watching you guys warm up reminded me of Pleasantville. You're very well coached, very fundamentally sound, and surprisingly athletic. I've never seen a team take Speights out of his game the way you guys did. After we were up 32-17, a lot of my friends thought we were going to blow the game open. I advised them otherwise and was, of course, correct. I was very impressed with the Bison, especially Woodside (who played a little out of control in the first half but settled down in the 2nd), Twei, and Winkleman.

I do think you guys relied a little too heavily upon the three in the first half.

Anyways, again, great game. You guys will be a force to be reckoned with. Hope to see you in March. Actually, I hope we don't see you, but I surely hope you're there.

Not until next year...we're in transition purgatory from DII to DI. No March Madness for us. :smh: We are eligible for the NIT though...

TheDoctor
11-10-2007, 05:02 PM
GHETTO I would loved to have gotten to the game as I'd probably have some friends there. I'm the tournament chairman if the Roger Maris Celebrity Golf Tournament here in Fargo. Last year we had 84-6 somes (504 players). The Maris family lives in Gainsville. One of Kevin's best friends, Tom Collette always plays here and is the announcer for Gater Basketball. Dave Fallo, a son of one of the girls told me he had seats behind the visitors bench. What a wonderful opportunity to be playing the likes of The University Of Florida. Thanks for the friendly welcome. If you happen to know Tom and Dave or any of the Maris guys, give them my regards

I thought my uncle Jim was the tournament chairman? What is Jimmy's official title then??????;)