PDA

View Full Version : Northern Arizona - Game #1

BlueKeyAlum
11-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Bison travel to Flagstaff to take on the Lumberjacks of UNA.

Last year the then defending Big Sky champs narrowly beat the Bison, 55-50 in OT in double overtime in Fargo. Wildcats lost their top 3 scorers from that team including Alyssa Wahl's who averaged 17 points and 6 boards. She had 12 points and 9 boards against the Bison.

Lumberjacks won their exhibition game, 91-61. They play Texas-Arlington Friday night.

Flagstaff is at 5000 ft. above sea level.

onbison09
11-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Good luck BISON!!!!!

sambini
11-09-2007, 03:57 AM
Good luck AMY,LADIES AND STAFF+++++++++++

iceberg
11-10-2007, 04:04 AM
game will be on cable & satellite :)

FCS 308 in Fargo and on Dish 9411 (the Dish channel is Northern Arizona university channel...they show N AZ sports on there) :)

onbison09
11-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Channel 649 on DTV.

90BISON
11-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Bison travel to Flagstaff to take on the Lumberjacks of UNA.

Last year the then defending Big Sky champs narrowly beat the Bison, 55-50 in OT in double overtime in Fargo. Wildcats lost their top 3 scorers from that team including Alyssa Wahl's who averaged 17 points and 6 boards. She had 12 points and 9 boards against the Bison.

Lumberjacks won their exhibition game, 91-61. They play Texas-Arlington Friday night.

Flagstaff is at 5000 ft. above sea level.

Not trying to be picky, but Flagstaff is at almost 7000 MSL.;)

NWNDBison
11-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Channel 649 on DTV.

I hope this is true, but after last night and the Florida game, "I'll believe it when I see it."

iceberg
11-10-2007, 01:19 PM
yeah forgot that FSN Arizona is carrying it too

NWNDBison..nothing to worry about. Game will be on. Different issues. Men's game was locked up by ESPN PPV package...Women's games don't have that PPV package ;)

Hansel
11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
yeah forgot that FSN Arizona is carrying it too

NWNDBison..nothing to worry about. Game will be on. Different issues. Men's game was locked up by ESPN PPV package...Women's games don't have that PPV package ;)

FSN AZ- 415 on dish

channel 9411 is showing something other than the game on my Dish guide

BlueKeyAlum
11-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Lumberjacks won their opener against UT-Arlington, 64-50. 5-10 Laura Dinkins had 22 points and 10 boards.

iceberg
11-10-2007, 05:42 PM
channel 9411 is showing something other than the game on my Dish guide

The dish guide for 9411 is goofy. It will be there :)

If you want to make sure, check there between 4:00 and 7:00 tonite. The NAU football game is going ot be on there against Eastern Washington

edit: per the NAU website

NAU is at home again on Sunday, Nov. 11 against North Dakota State at 2:05 p.m. That game will be LIVE on Dish Network 9411, FSN Arizona and FCS Pacific, webcast on www.bigskytv.org and also on the radio in Flagstaff on the student station, KJACK 1680AM. KJACK streams their broadcasts live on the internet at www.kjack.org.

BlueKeyAlum
11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Show time.

BlueKeyAlum
11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
NAU up 4-0.

Let's go Herd!

BlueKeyAlum
11-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Bison wrackin' up turnovers.

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Penley is HORRIBLE! She would never have even made the team 10 years ago! They are not looking very good so far.

BlueKeyAlum
11-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Bison down 8-2 with 4 TOs. I think Amy needs to put the frosh in.

BlueKeyAlum
11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Bison down 10-4.

I don't know if any of our posts would have made the team 10 years ago.

Hansel
11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Bison down 8-2 with 4 TOs. I think Amy needs to put the frosh in.

it looks like they are playing in a Middle School gym

BlueKeyAlum
11-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, Zaruba might have.

BlueKeyAlum
11-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Bison up 24-20...how do the frosh (Plucker and Trekker) look?

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah I was a little more hopeful for this season but its plain bad. I dont think I can even watch the second half. We are throwing layups off the glass that dont even touch rim. Seriously how good were we (and UND) back in the day. Because this team is clearly not even close to that level of play.

Hansel
11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah I was a little more hopeful for this season but its plain bad. I dont think I can even watch the second half. We are throwing layups off the glass that dont even touch rim. Seriously how good were we (and UND) back in the day. Because this team is clearly not even close to that level of play.

it is painful to watch this game

more layup misses by both teams than I have ever seen

missingnumber7
11-11-2007, 09:02 PM
This seems like a second rate situation, makes the BSA look amazing, and the coverage isn't that great either, looks like a high school broadcast. Can't wait till we have a legitimate stadium and a broadcast partner.

Hansel
11-11-2007, 09:06 PM
the woman doing color for the game was an NAU player last year

she is struggling

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 09:21 PM
All i can say is "Dynamite drop in Monty. That broadcast school really paid off."

silkamilkamonico
11-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Amy needs to get rid of those f'ugly knee pads.

Maybe that will help with her recruiting.

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Amy needs to get rid of those f'ugly knee pads.

Maybe that will help with her recruiting.

Agree! They are aweful.

onbison09
11-11-2007, 09:35 PM
52-50 with 11:00 to go in the 2nd half.

NWNDBison
11-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, at least the game is being broadcast on FSN 649 on DirecTV.
I was beginning to think they were never going to let me watch anything I actually wanted to.

It does kind of remind one of a mediocre high school game.

52-50 Bison with 11:00 min. to go.

It's not a very fast-paced game.

onbison09
11-11-2007, 09:43 PM
58-60 with 7:38 to go. Neither team can pull aways and its a see saw game. And WTF is up with those kneepads?

onbison09
11-11-2007, 09:50 PM
5 left and it's still 59-61 this is hard to watch. I know its the first game of the year but this is kinda painfull to watch.

NWNDBison
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
If the girls want to win they're going to have to stop giving Ingle free throws. Either that or foul her out. She's got 25 points, but 4 fouls. NDSU hasn't scored in forever.

Slyt finally got one. 63-67 NAU.

onbison09
11-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Bison can't keep giving them free throws like said before and should be driving harder to get Ingle out of their. This team has a lot of work to do.

onbison09
11-11-2007, 10:00 PM
8 ponts down with 1:15 to go. This is kind of frusturating to watch. We're dropping passes and getting way too many shots blocked. Ingle is all over the court and is the reason they are winning this game.

onbison09
11-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Final 78-85 NAU. Dissapointing effort by the ladies I thought. Plenty of time to get better but stilll thought they could've been better.

NWNDBison
11-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Final 78-85 NAU. Dissapointing effort by the ladies I thought. Plenty of time to get better but stilll thought they could've been better.

What game were you watching? The score on my TV was 75-68 NAU.

Lost it on free throws down the stretch. The last couple of minutes the teams at least started playing with some energy.

bisonpride2k
11-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I tried to find a smiley to describe this game but there wasnt one that was sick to its stomach because it was so bad it wanted to throw up. This team is going to be no different then the last few teams. Unathletic and slow and to counter act that, cant shoot. If we manage to some how have a .500 record again it is because of how poor the opponents are and not because of what we can do.

MHDBisonfan
11-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree with all of the above - it was like watching a high school game as far as skills and athleticism. I kept watching for one player from either team to see if she looked like a college level stud - nada from both sides. Where are the shooters? Where are the "give me the ball and get out of my way" players? I hate to say it because I love Coach Ruley for what she's done with this program over the years and I love the Bison, but this program - which seemed like 5 years ago would have the easiest transition to DI - has been dropping like a lead balloon. They are just plain bad. Again, its only the first game so things maybe could improve a little bit, but without studs on the team, I can't see how this team could get to the level where we would consider them a "good" team. The teams of the 90's would absolutely run circles around this team. I hate being so negative, but I just couldn't see any positives from this game. And yeah, what was with all the airballs from 2 feet?

bisonpride2k
11-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Maybe we are seeing just how big of a factor having the most amount of money to offer for scholarships compared to all the other programs in the region was. We had all the money AND all the athletes. Since the other schools started funding nearly equal or equal to us (around 95 when UND pushed us)we havent had nearly the abundance of athletic players with some exceptions. Is this maybe a good indicator of just how good (or poor) of a recruiter Amy actually is when she cant just out bid someone. Thats about all I can think of because we clearly have an extreme lack of athleticism on this team. Maybe the best example of poor recruiting is the Elleson (I think that is what it was) girl from 2 years ago who is no longer with the team. She was supposed to come in and be a point guard and she couldnt even dribble with both hands and was extremely slow footed. You look at Penley and she can barely run let alone catch the ball (dont even think about her making a layup more then %40 of the time when you cant catch the ball). Its just bad basketball!

BlueKeyAlum
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Great observations.

Several areas of concern have been mentioned: recruiting, player development, game time coaching: the fact is that NDSU women's basketball has just not made the jump to the next level as quickly as followers believe it should have, and SDSU has. I'm not certain that the Jackrabbits are not the anomaly in this situation but even then, why couldn't that anomaly happen in Fargo instead of Brookings.

Most of NDSU's other coaching staffs changed for one reason or another in mamking the switch to Division One. Most of these new Bison coaches have had experience at the next level as assistant coaches, they know what a skilled performer at the next level looks like, they know what it takes to recruit that performer, they know what it takes to develop the performer and they know what it takes to coach at the next level. That may be why we're still struggling with women's basketball.

I can't comment on this year's team vs. teams of the national championship years. I never got to see Kasey Morlock or Jayne Even play play and only once or twice had the opportunity to players like Darci Steere, Jody Buck, Nadine Schmidt, Lynette Mund, or Katie Lorenz, or all of the others play. I have watched recent teams play via the net. Those past teams were dominant but the level of competition was not where it is now. Compared to 12 years ago, there are so many players who have taken the opportunities offered by AAU basketball to develop their skills that the quality of play is so much greater. Then it comes down to creating a system that works and getting players to fit that system. I think thats what Aaron Johnson does very well....he doesn't have top notch athletes but he has skilled players who complement each other well.

bisonpride2k
11-13-2007, 02:33 AM
The decline in NDSU womens basketball began with the non-recruiting of Katie Richards. She wanted to be a bison, her brother was already on the baseball team. UND signed her because Amy was not interested. Well most of us know how badly she torched us every year we played. Another example, Mary Perizo who transfered from NDSU to UND. WHO does that??? Must be a reason there. I do know there was a recruit that was a senior in ND last year that was recruited rather diligently by Northern Arizona but because of distance she didnt go there. Some of NDSU's assistants wanted her but Amy had the last say and didnt. So she ended up at an area DII school. Would have brought some athletic ability to this team because we have virtually none. I'm sorry but Penley should only see the floor in 20point/2 minute situations for this team if it were to be successful. Sad to say but i think it is time for a change at the top.

onbison09
11-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Is Amy losing it or is she a bad recruiter? Seriously what's going on. It's the first game and Amy has been one of the greatests coches in women's basketball history so I have confidence in this team. They need to be better.