PDA

View Full Version : Kolpack to the dark side...

bisonmike2
11-08-2007, 03:56 PM
First he's complaining about the PA and now he's pick against us in the Cal-Poly game in this weeks Bottom Line on the great west website.

TransAmBison
11-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I noticed that too...kind of curious isn't it?

X-Factor
11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey, someone has to do it or else everyone would be right all of the time! Maybe he is just given Cal Poly some respect.

NDSUstudent
11-08-2007, 04:21 PM
I noticed that too...kind of curious isn't it?

I don't get it, I think we match-up well with Cal Poly. They struggled with SDSU's physcial offense and our Tampa 2 defense will also cause some issues. I think some are letting 2005 get in their head, this team is completely different now and the difference is night and day when it comes to playing on the road.

Gully
11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I worry about their 8 foot wide receiver against our short DBs...yes, I know they shut down Wheelwright but I need to worry about something!

bisonmike2
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I think Cal-Poly is a decent team that deserves repsect but their defense is down this year. NDSU has seen good reciever QB combo's and have done enough to shut them down this year, I really don't see this being any different. However I failed to take into account the time machine that NDSU will be traveling in to go to SLO. That's all that every sport writer brings up is 2005. This team is so different from that team and are a much better road team.

bisonpride2k
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Kolpack looks to nit pick everything. Quite frankly I am getting pretty tired of it. He made this big song and dance about how they picked the match ups in the Gopher game trying to rationalize picking Webber over Walker as an advantage at QB basically based off stats of ONE game. He said he would never do that again. Then he goes and picks against them this week? Cal Poly's coach has gone on record to say that we are head and shoulders better then anyone in FCS and that they are just hoping to stay in the game because of how physical we are. I guess those are good reasons to pick against us. I guess he just likes to stir the pot like McFeeley.

Gully
11-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Kolpack looks to nit pick everything. Quite frankly I am getting pretty tired of it. He made this big song and dance about how they picked the match ups in the Gopher game trying to rationalize picking Webber over Walker as an advantage at QB basically based off stats of ONE game. He said he would never do that again. Then he goes and picks against them this week? Cal Poly's coach has gone on record to say that we are head and shoulders better then anyone in FCS and that they are just hoping to stay in the game because of how physical we are. I guess those are good reasons to pick against us. I guess he just likes to stir the pot like McFeeley.

Or course Cal Poly's coach is going to say that, opposing coaches usually talk up their upcomnig opponents.

bisonmike2
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Cal Poly is playing at home, in front of a sold out homecoming crowd and would like to get revenge for last years buttkicking in the dome. Aside from the emotional part, Cal-Poly brings nothing different to the table than any other team the Bison have played this year. I'm not saying Cal-Poly is a bad team, in fact they are quite good. But NDSU has seen better QB's. They have seen better RB's and they have seen WR's as good as Cal-Poly's stud. Their defense is suspect this year and they have given up a ton of yards. I believe NDSU is on a mission to go undefeated and to be recognized as the #1 team in the country. They are poised and professional and I know that I am not going to pick against them this year.

NDSUguy
11-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't see why its a big deal for kolpack to pick against us.... It's his opinion and afterall, he is not employed by NDSU. He didn't say that they would kill us but that they would get the win... nothing wrong with that.

Only homers think that we are a shoo-in for every game. Afterall, we did almost lost to SHSU so it's not as if were invincible.

TransAmBison
11-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't see why its a big deal for kolpack to pick against us.... It's his opinion and afterall, he is not employed by NDSU. He didn't say that they would kill us but that they would get the win... nothing wrong with that.

Only homers think that we are a shoo-in for every game. Afterall, we did almost lost to SHSU so it's not as if were invincible.
It is just kind of strange that Kolpack picks us as the #1 team in the polls and turns around and picks us to lose against Cal Poly. That doesn't seem strange to you? I just think he has acted a little strange lately.

UTH
11-08-2007, 05:57 PM
It is just kind of strange that Kolpack picks us as the #1 team in the polls and turns around and picks us to lose against Cal Poly. That doesn't seem strange to you? I just think he has acted a little strange lately.

His Cheerios probably had a pungent taste this morning.

imabison
11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Remember the POLL is from events the previous week, and his selection is for this week. Lets hope he is WRONG!!!!

90BISON
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Remember the POLL is from events the previous week, and his selection is for this week. Lets hope he is WRONG!!!!

Sportscasters / sportswriters are never wrong, just ask them a week later.:p

SDbison
11-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Again Kolpack is wrong. There is little justification for picking Poly. Its not like they have a great record or they are a great team this season. The loss of Paschall is not that big of a deal given the smaller speedy backups we have in Blincoe and Washington. Did somebody punch Kolpack real hard during his last trip to Minneapolis?
I know Kolpack is entitled to do what he wants, but this is a downright ridiculous pick. Other than the first couple games this season the Bison seem to be able to turn on their offense as needed to get the job done and win with a decent margin. I think we have yet to see the best Bison performance this year. Hopefully they notch it up a bit more each week for the last two weeks!

NDSUguy
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Again Kolpack is wrong. There is little justification for picking Poly. Its not like they have a great record or they are a great team this season. The loss of Paschall is not that big of a deal given the smaller speedy backups we have in Blincoe and Washington. Did somebody punch Kolpack real hard during his last trip to Minneapolis?
I know Kolpack is entitled to do what he wants, but this is a downright ridiculous pick. Other than the first couple games this season the Bison seem to be able to turn on their offense as needed to get the job done and win with a decent margin. I think we have yet to see the best Bison performance this year. Hopefully they notch it up a bit more each week for the last two weeks!

I don't think that picking Poly is rediculous. Also, there is no need to justify picks. Any Given Saturday.

I am guessing that deep down he believes that NDSU is due for a let down. He's obviously chose this as the game in which he thinks that we're most susceptable for a loss.

It's not as if he is downplaying the ability of the team. He never said that. He thinks that there are certain aspects of the game in which he think that we do not match up favorably. That is why he chose poly.

SDbison
11-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't think that picking Poly is rediculous. Also, there is no need to justify picks. Any Given Saturday.

I am guessing that deep down he believes that NDSU is due for a let down. He's obviously chose this as the game in which he thinks that we're most susceptable for a loss.

It's not as if he is downplaying the ability of the team. He never said that. He thinks that there are certain aspects of the game in which he think that we do not match up favorably. That is why he chose poly.

So Poly's all world receiver is going to beat NDSU all by himself? I don't think on paper there is any way you can analyize all aspects of this game and even give a slight edge to Poly overall.
If Kolpack is using his skills to bet on the game and believes this is likely an "any given saturday" game go ahead and pick Poly, but as a writer for NDSU sports he needs to be a little more objective. There would be nothing lost if he says Poly will be tough all game and could win, but NDSU will still pull out a victory in the end. If the opposite happens nobody will call him a fool........on the other hand.......

Gully
11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
I can't believe I'm defending a sportswriter but Kolpack's pick is not ridiculous. If a higher ranking in a poll meant that team would always win there would be no such thing as an upset. I'm not saying he's right in his pick but it wouldn't shock me if NDSU lost this game. I drink the green koolaid (or is it beer?) as much as anyone but let's not get carried away here thinking we should automatically win every game.

That said, I'm picking NDSU to win but it's by no means an easy game. Most teams have a letdown or two during the season.....and we haven't had much of a letdown for nearly 2 seasons now.

I'm not saying.....I'm just saying.

SDbison
11-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I can't believe I'm defending a sportswriter but Kolpack's pick is not ridiculous. If a higher ranking in a poll meant that team would always win there would be no such thing as an upset. I'm not saying he's right in his pick but it wouldn't shock me if NDSU lost this game. I drink the green koolaid (or is it beer?) as much as anyone but let's not get carried away here thinking we should automatically win every game.

That said, I'm picking NDSU to win but it's by no means an easy game. Most teams have a letdown or two during the season.....and we haven't had much of a letdown for nearly 2 seasons now.

I'm not saying.....I'm just saying.

Kolpack doesn't have to be a homer, but he doesn't have to be stupid either.......for craps sake the Bison are an 11 point favorite.

Hoofbeats
11-08-2007, 07:39 PM
So Poly's all world receiver is going to beat NDSU all by himself?

No, not by himself, but maybe if you mix in a few other players:

QB: Jonathan Dally- 54% completion rate, 24 TD's, 1 interception
140 rushing carries for 546 yeards, 3.9 average

RB: James Noble- (remember him from 2 years ago?)
76 carries for a 5.4 average

RB: Jon Hall-72 carries for a 5.5 average

Yes, pretty small compared to NDSU's numbers. You're probably right, no chance to beat the Bison, no reason to even play the game.

UTH
11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Kolpack doesn't have to be a homer, but he doesn't have to be stupid either.......for craps sake the Bison are an 11 point favorite.

Opinions vary. He has his own. I think that it's a good thing that he doesn't feel the need to submit all of his stories, polls, and picks to something like Bisonville to filter out any stupidity and to approve the finished products for publication.

I agree that it's a bad pick, but he's the one who's going to look stupid when Mertens takes the final knee if / when reality proves him wrong. It's his credibility and reputation that he's putting on the line. Let him tie his own noose. If / when he's wrong, then by all means, let's hang him with it! I nominate SDbison to carry out the honors of choosing the tree. :nod:

SDbison
11-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Also........I will be the first person to say, wow, Kolpack is a genious if he is right about the Poly game.

SDbison
11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
BTW, if Poly beats NDSU then the Bison will absolutely get killed by the Jackrabbits next week.

NDSUguy
11-08-2007, 08:25 PM
BTW, if Poly beats NDSU then the Bison will absolutely get killed by the Jackrabbits next week.

A few thoughts...

1. There is no logic to suggest that if NDSU loses this week that they will get killed by the Jacks... Some weeks teams play well and some weeks they don't play well. Things are not as black and white as SDbison suggests...

2. There are no official spreads on FCS football games. These sagarin spreads are based upon a bunch of things --> none of which have anything to do with the final outcome on the field.

3. CalPoly is ranked first in the FCS in offense per game at 514 yards. People suggest that their defense is down as a big reason why they would lose. Well my friends, their offense can move the ball. NDSU has also given up BIG yards this year. Who is to say that this can't be a game where they get rolled (not to be confused with ROHL'd).

4. Sportswriters write about what they think might happen. By no means should they be applauded for picking a winner (or a loser by that matter). Too many times games go to the team who was not expected to win.

5. Lastly..... STOP DRINKING THE GREEN KOOL-AID! Games are won and lost on the field. NDSU is never granted a win just because we're better and its NEVER rediculous to think that underdogs can win.... Just ask App St..

WYOBISONMAN
11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Kolpack's pick, while I don't agree with it, is not an act of stupidity. Good grief, the guy is a talented sports writer that has been to every Bison game. If he feels the Herd is in for a letdown and wants to pick the game that way, so be it. It just means that he disagrees with most of us.

aces1180
11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Kolpack's pick, while I don't agree with it, is not an act of stupidity. Good grief, the guy is a talented sports writer that has been to every Bison game. If he feels the Herd is in for a letdown and wants to pick the game that way, so be it. It just means that he disagrees with most of us.

I couldn't agree more...Once again, my journalism background sees this prediction as nothing to get worked up about.

Gully
11-08-2007, 08:45 PM
A few thoughts...

1. There is no logic to suggest that if NDSU loses this week that they will get killed by the Jacks... Some weeks teams play well and some weeks they don't play well. Things are not as black and white as SDbison suggests...

2. There are no official spreads on FCS football games. These sagarin spreads are based upon a bunch of things --> none of which have anything to do with the final outcome on the field.

3. CalPoly is ranked first in the FCS in offense per game at 514 yards. People suggest that their defense is down as a big reason why they would lose. Well my friends, their offense can move the ball. NDSU has also given up BIG yards this year. Who is to say that this can't be a game where they get rolled (not to be confused with ROHL'd).

4. Sportswriters write about what they think might happen. By no means should they be applauded for picking a winner (or a loser by that matter). Too many times games go to the team who was not expected to win.

5. Lastly..... STOP DRINKING THE GREEN KOOL-AID! Games are won and lost on the field. NDSU is never granted a win just because we're better and its NEVER rediculous to think that underdogs can win.... Just ask App St..

Good post...one correction though, the Sagarin rating does take into account what happens on the field and depending on which one you use it takes margin of victory into account (predictor).

KC Bison
11-09-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm OK with his pick as long as he lets the team know he's picking against them. I think it will a great motivator having the home town writer pick the other team.

I also remember one of the last times we played N. Colorado. They had a 6'6" or 6'7" wide receiver who now plays in the pros. He had a pretty miserable day against the Bison. I'm sure this Cal-Poly receiver will get in some catches but I don't see him killing us. I also remember a rather short NDSU db stealing the ball from big-ol Wheelwright (sp?).

90BISON
11-09-2007, 12:42 AM
No, not by himself, but maybe if you mix in a few other players:

QB: Jonathan Dally- 54% completion rate, 24 TD's, 1 interception
140 rushing carries for 546 yeards, 3.9 average

RB: James Noble- (remember him from 2 years ago?)
76 carries for a 5.4 average

RB: Jon Hall-72 carries for a 5.5 average

Yes, pretty small compared to NDSU's numbers. You're probably right, no chance to beat the Bison, no reason to even play the game.

The same James Noble that had a whole 52 yds last year in the Dome.:D

Hammerhead
11-09-2007, 01:06 AM
The predictor was spot-on with the margin of victory over Minnesota. This week's predictor says NDSU by 11.

Good post...one correction though, the Sagarin rating does take into account what happens on the field and depending on which one you use it takes margin of victory into account (predictor).

X-Factor
11-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Anytime you pick against Steve Walker your fighting the odds.

NDSUguy
11-09-2007, 02:16 AM
The predictor was spot-on with the margin of victory over Minnesota. This week's predictor says NDSU by 11.

Yes, for one game. We should have won by much more though.

bisonmike2
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Anytime you pick against Steve Walker your fighting the odds.

that's pretty much all you need to know right there.

NDSUguy
11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
that's pretty much all you need to know right there.

Now, if we can just get Walker to play defense we can hopefully slow down theier #1 ranked offense.....

X-Factor
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Now, if we can just get Walker to play defense we can hopefully slow down theier #1 ranked offense.....

Cal Poly has played the weakest schedule in the Great West by far. If they played a few teams with half a pulse they wouldn't be putting up 500+ yards a game. The only decent team CP has played so far is SDSU(don't mean to say SDSU is only decent, I think they are playing very good right now), and they lost.

NDSUguy
11-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Cal Poly has played the weakest schedule in the Great West by far. If they played a few teams with half a pulse they wouldn't be putting up 500+ yards a game. The only decent team CP has played so far is SDSU(don't mean to say SDSU is only decent, I think they are playing very good right now), and they lost.

Right now NDSUs strength of schedule is ranked at #165.... CalPoly at #177....

So, if you think that our opponents have a "pulse", I would suggest that its not that much more than Poly.

Also, from the statistical point of view they dominated SDSU in every statistical category.... (including turnovers which ultimately cost them the game).

AJ
11-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Are you all really mad about this? Pathetic!! Just cause he picked CP doesn't mean he will be in the stands vehemently rooting for the Bison to lose. He still knows he's NDSU's beat writer. Maybe he is trying to do his part to motivate. Who knows? Who cares? End this thread ...It's stupid and petty.

roadwarrior
11-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Are you all really mad about this? Pathetic!! Just cause he picked CP doesn't mean he will be in the stands vehemently rooting for the Bison to lose. He still knows he's NDSU's beat writer. Maybe he is trying to do his part to motivate. Who knows? Who cares? End this thread ...It's stupid and petty.

Thanks AJ! You are right.

I'm out here in San Luis reading this and wondering what got in the water back in the Midwest?????????????

X-Factor
11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks AJ! You are right.

I'm out here in San Luis reading this and wondering what got in the water back in the Midwest?????????????

Howz the weather? :D

TransAmBison
11-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Ok, ok...I'll quit stabbing my little Kolpack vodoo doll. You made your point. :D

*For the record, I didn't know anybody was "mad" at Kolpack...just curious to his thought process (At least that was what I was thinking...as I was stabbing my little Kolpack vodoo doll for picking against my beloved Bison.