PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Band

footballfan
11-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Was wondering if the NDSU band will be coming to Brookings on the 17th. Most Jack fans are in an uproar because at this time the Pride has decided that they are not going to be there for either of out last 2 games this season. Needless to say it has caused quite a stir. If your band comes they will get a very very loud cheer from the Jackrabbit faithful.......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!

mebisonII
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Right, I forgot that the Pride turns in their uniforms at the start of November! I'd be very interested in hearing the answer to this question as well, but I would be surprised if the GSMB goes to the game. I think that might be seen as poor form to bring your band to another school when the host school's band wasn't even playing. Plus, the GSMB director has (or at least used to have when I marched) a bit of a chip on his shoulder about SDSU.

Edit: Did the GSMB used to play for all home games when they were outside, or did they also quit at some point?

Live2Tailgate
11-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Well...on the band's website they don't show they'll be coming to Brookings. I believe they only budget for one road trip a year and this year it was the Gopher game down at the Metrodome.

I certainly wish they'd be there, though. It would add to the already festive atmosphere.

imabison
11-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Was wondering if the NDSU band will be coming to Brookings on the 17th. Most Jack fans are in an uproar because at this time the Pride has decided that they are not going to be there for either of out last 2 games this season. Needless to say it has caused quite a stir. If your band comes they will get a very very loud cheer from the Jackrabbit faithful.......

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
If someone other than the current director of bands was in charge the GSM would probably be there. I know the previous director had a great respect for the SDSU band, and always said we go there they come here its was the agreement.

Perhaps this is part of the reason that NDSU is advertising for a NEW director for the GSM, and the position is being split.

BigBison
11-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Wow no band at the biggest rivaly game of the year. What the heck is SDSU smokin down there, they dont put the game on tv and now they arent putting their great band there. Its like they are actually trying not to get people to go to the game.

Jake
11-08-2007, 02:25 PM
The GSMB was on Dakota field rehearsing yesterday. I can't imagine why they'd be doing that if they weren't planning on marching in Brookings.

UTH
11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Wow no band at the biggest rivialy game of the year. What the heck is SDSU smokin down there, they dont put the game on tv and now they arent puting there great band there. Its like they are actually trying to not get people to go to the games.

You might be onto something here. Maybe RT, Buning, Baker, and the like have already found new jobs. This isn't the way to look forward.

Trim
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I stood right next to them at the last game in Brookings and it was pretty cool that they were there. Hope they somehow make it.

Bison"FANatic"
11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I myself want to see our band there!!!! I understand the money issue though. I also want to see SD's band. For the sake of SD's fans I hope we bring our band so they can questions the reasons behind their band not being there when the opposing teams band is present. It is in SDSU's best interest to have the best game day atmosphere that they can have and it is also good for the conference to have every school do everything they can do to create a great game day atmosphere. I am starting to wonder if SDSU's admin is stuck back in D2 thinking. There football team sure isn't, maybe the admin should take the lead from there team and put the dang game on TV and have your band there.

Make this an event SDSU!!!!!!!!

The little green men from ND are coming and we are bringing thousands and hopefully a band, we will be dropping the hammer!!!!!!!!!

Blue
11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Wow no band at the biggest rivaly game of the year. What the heck is SDSU smokin down there now they arent putting their great band there.
Actually James McKinney email addy James.McKinney@sdstate.edu is an ego manic who no matter how much the band pleads to perform won't let them... He has basically locked up all the instruments and told them they won't play.

GSB Alum
11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
The Band is not marching at SDSU mostly because of money. They only have enough for one road trip a year, and Minnesota was that one. I was in the band for several years, and have had many conversations about SDSU with the GSB Director of Bands, and he has NEVER expressed to me a chip on his shoulder towards the SDSU band director. If you notice, SDSU's band doesn't move very much on the field, because they are HUGE. NDSU's band, although the shapes may not make much sense, do move ALOT more. The NDSU band tends to play a little better as well, because they are smaller. But I digress. The NDSU Director of Bands would take the band to SDSU in a second if A. They had the budget and B. SDSU's band was marching.

Also, the new director position will be in charge of the percussion studio in the music department, and his duties also include Athletic bands. This was done because the percussion studio and athletic bands seperatly are not enough for seperate full-time faculty, but they together are easily a full position. The current Director of Bands (I am told) will remain as such, the new position will basically be a percussion instructor who runs the athletic bands. This setup has MANY positives. The current Director of Bands position has grown to be more than a full time position, which is why it's being handled this way. And, honestly, most of the time percussionists are also good at and very interested in marching band stuff. They are the heartbeat of a marching band. Anyway, most universities have seperate Director of Bands and Athletic Band positions. Director of Bands is typically in charge of the concert band type stuff at the school, and the Athletic Band guy does just as his title suggests. This is because marching band and concert band concepts are WAY different, and it makes both groups much better if they have focused personal in charge instead of one guy trying to divide his time and efforts to both areas.

gobison.gsb
11-09-2007, 07:33 AM
The band had talked about going to SDSU a while ago. Recently our director announced that we were going to go, play pep band, and possibly do a show. The band was really excited about it. We wanted to go. But then, a couple of days later it was announced that we didn't have as much money as we thought we did, so instead of going to SDSU, we are playing for the ND high school football championship game (Class 1A) on friday....yeah, not quite the same as going to SDSU...:(

extremerouge
11-09-2007, 07:39 AM
welcome gobison.gsb...thats unfortunate that the gold star isnt marching in SD...It would have added a lot to the game day atmosphere.

BigDeal
11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I know there is a pretty good sized group of band members going down to watch the game anyway. Perhaps they can be convinced to play a small gig in the tailgating lot.

travelingbison
11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
It is quite unfortunate that the marching band will not be making the trip south for the SDSU game. They would have provided a lot of school pride that will definately be missed on the 17th. :(

The discussion on this thread addresses money as the major reason for the GSMB not traveling with the team. Yes, the band only has enough cover one away game per year - but who said they always have to front the bill??

Here is why I do not believe that money was the issue and that politics was:

Seeing as how SDSU's band wouldn't be playing, I don't see their Athletics Departmet bending over backwards to allow our band to play.
Also along those lines, I can also see them doing something similar to what the U of MN did when they wouldn't allow the GSMB to play during the game. While it shows poor sportsmanship, I would be willing to wager that at least one bigwig at SDSU would like to remain in control of their home turf.

In my opinion, (unfortunately) if NDSU Athletics wanted to see the GSMB at the game, they would have done everything in their power to make it happen. The GSMB has always made an effort to play at extra events Athletics has asked to be at - the Hall of Fame Banquet and the Scheels Pep Rally are key examples of that.

The money for the trip could have come from a variety of areas at NDSU - Athletics, the President's special funding, Student Government, etc. Not to be downer or anything, I just think that there is more to this issue than people are seeing or talking about.

BISON Thunder
11-09-2007, 05:02 PM
It is quite unfortunate that the marching band will not be making the trip south for the SDSU game. They would have provided a lot of school pride that will definately be missed on the 17th. :(

The discussion on this thread addresses money as the major reason for the GSMB not traveling with the team. Yes, the band only has enough cover one away game per year - but who said they always have to front the bill??

Here is why I do not believe that money was the issue and that politics was:

Seeing as how SDSU's band wouldn't be playing, I don't see their Athletics Departmet bending over backwards to allow our band to play.
Also along those lines, I can also see them doing something similar to what the U of MN did when they wouldn't allow the GSMB to play during the game. While it shows poor sportsmanship, I would be willing to wager that at least one bigwig at SDSU would like to remain in control of their home turf.

In my opinion, (unfortunately) if NDSU Athletics wanted to see the GSMB at the game, they would have done everything in their power to make it happen. The GSMB has always made an effort to play at extra events Athletics has asked to be at - the Hall of Fame Banquet and the Scheels Pep Rally are key examples of that.

The money for the trip could have come from a variety of areas at NDSU - Athletics, the President's special funding, Student Government, etc. Not to be downer or anything, I just think that there is more to this issue than people are seeing or talking about.

Can you give us an idea as to how much it would cost for the GSMB to make the trip to Brookings and back?

sdsupride
11-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Well now the Pride will be playing at the NDSU game, not doing field show but will be in the stands. HoboD posted this on the SDSU board.

I received this email from the Presidents office this morning!

Thanks for your message to the President’s Office via the SDSU Web site. I thought you might be interested in an update on the Pride’s plans to play at the Nov. 17 football game against North Dakota State University.

It is my understanding that The Pride leadership has been talking about the NDSU football game as one last chance to play in a large-crowd environment. The band members today decided that although they do not have time to develop an on-field performance, they will provide music during the game.

Let me share a little perspective, based on what I learned today regarding The Pride’s schedule. The band historically has closed its performance season around Nov. 1 for decades, unless Hobo Day has been scheduled late in the season. For one, the return to standard time cuts into late-afternoon daylight for practices. (As a point of comparison, the NDSU band has the option of practicing in the FargoDome once Daylight Savings Time ends.) Secondly, many of The Pride’s members also participate in one of the two basketball bands, and those seasons usually start in November. And related to that, many others in The Pride also play in the jazz ensembles, symphonic band and other indoor performance groups. Those bands start their concert schedules late in the fall semester. I’ll add that our musicians also are full-time students, and we administrators prefer that they keep a healthy balance between their studies and their co-curricular choices.

The Pride has plans to play during the Nov. 17 game. I hope you will share this news with others who will want to know. Thanks again for your note.

El_Chapitan
11-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Can you give us an idea as to how much it would cost for the GSMB to make the trip to Brookings and back?

A little over $2000

lakesbison
11-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Cant we get like a "BISON HERD" of about 8-10 GSMB members and just have them walk around and play or sit in the GA with us BISON fans and play?

that would be sweet.. I've seen that done at St John's games..

gobison.gsb
11-09-2007, 08:24 PM
We were just told today that we may go to SDSU and play pep band, provided that the athletic department (or other sources) will pay some of the costs. so i guess we'll see....

DORMIE
11-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Good point by GSB Alum. I always thought that the SDSU Band was pretty good. Just didn't realizt that they were a standing band and not a marching band. Probably could do a good job in a parade, but if thay had to turn, they would probably fall on their asses. We have excellent music at NDSU. The Concert Choir is probably one of the best in the country.

mebisonII
11-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Good point by GSB Alum. I always thought that the SDSU Band was pretty good. Just didn't realizt that they were a standing band and not a marching band. Probably could do a good job in a parade, but if thay had to turn, they would probably fall on their asses. We have excellent music at NDSU. The Concert Choir is probably one of the best in the country.

Um, as loyal as I am to the NDSU music department, there's a choir across the river that may have a thing or two to say about that.

mebisonII
11-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Let me share a little perspective, based on what I learned today regarding The Pride’s schedule. The band historically has closed its performance season around Nov. 1 for decades, unless Hobo Day has been scheduled late in the season. For one, the return to standard time cuts into late-afternoon daylight for practices. (As a point of comparison, the NDSU band has the option of practicing in the FargoDome once Daylight Savings Time ends.) Secondly, many of The Pride’s members also participate in one of the two basketball bands, and those seasons usually start in November. And related to that, many others in The Pride also play in the jazz ensembles, symphonic band and other indoor performance groups. Those bands start their concert schedules late in the fall semester. I’ll add that our musicians also are full-time students, and we administrators prefer that they keep a healthy balance between their studies and their co-curricular choices.

I feel obliged to point out a couple things. The DST argument for NDSU vs. SDSU is moot, as NDSU only practices in the FFD on gamedays. The basketball bands is a good point. NDSU only has one pep band, and that historically has so few people it wouldn't make much of a difference. NDSU used to wait until MB season was done before starting concert bands, although a few years ago they started the Wind Ensemble as a smaller concert band to run concurrently with MB. The Jazz bands and all other music programs start at the beginning of the year and have concerts starting in October(ish).

Just an update in case anyone was wondering how the NDSU music department balanced things. Current band members can correct me if things have changed.

UTH
11-09-2007, 10:19 PM
That does it. We'll have to take matters in our own hands. Bring your kazoos, Bison fans! Percussionists can fabricate their own instruments upon arrival. We'll be good to go.

TbonZach
11-09-2007, 11:35 PM
If I would have posted after the Minnesota game, the answer would have been yes. If I had posted yesterday, the answer would have been no. As I post now, the answer is yes. If I post after Tuesday, it will be a toss-up.

Sorry for the long explanation, folks. In layman's terms, we still don't know. First the band had the funding for the trip. Then they didn't. Now it's who knows? According to Dr. Olfert the music department doesn't have the funds for the trip to Bunny Land. He is trying to get funding from the athletics. And the only ones that know if it's possible are either in Florida or California. We should have a definitive "yes" or "no" by Tuesday.

If we do go, it would be more of a pep-band. There wouldn't be a field show from us, but we would still be there entertaining the crowd and rooting for the Bison.

GOBISON!!! NOSIBOG!!!!

El_Chapitan
11-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Cant we get like a "BISON HERD" of about 8-10 GSMB members and just have them walk around and play or sit in the GA with us BISON fans and play?

that would be sweet.. I've seen that done at St John's games..

That is probably going to happen if we can't go in the buses. Some of us have talked about car pooling down and at least playing at the tailgating if nothing else.

CaBisonFan
11-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Actually James McKinney email addy James.McKinney@sdstate.edu is an ego manic who no matter how much the band pleads to perform won't let them... He has basically locked up all the instruments and told them they won't play.

Jim McKinney is one of the classiest directors...and legitimately nice people...that I've ever known. I taught band in Brookings Public Schools for years. When it came to helping me with my students, the word 'no' never existed. He travels the state constantly to do the same for anyone...anyone. He is the consumate professional...and a hell of a nice guy.

There is another purpose for music at SDSU. They educate music teachers and sometimes professional musicians.

This is usually the time of year when the Pride switches over to concert or symphonic band. They have an annual gig to perform for all of the high school directors in South Dakota in mid-winter. If they don't get off the field by mid-November there's no way to get that going. The directors across the state have high expectations...and this is where most of his recruits come from. Jim 'has to' have an outstanding symphonic band. Has to. There's great pressure to produce every year. It's for the Bandmaster's Convention for all of South Dakota.

The SDSU music program has balance. McKinney has an ego...but you have to have one to survive the pressures from outside. One of the reasons why the Pride is as good or better than most Big Ten bands is because McKinney understands college kids...and he instills trust. He promises his recruits that they will get a balanced musical experience. They gravitate to his personality. Without him, the Pride wouldn't be half of what it is.

The Pride is not a servant to the football team. They are equal. Does the football team set its schedule according to what the band needs? Not hardly. They do what they damn please and then 'expect' Jim to work with whatever is thrown at him. Lately...it's been scraps...because of the lousy home schedule. During my time in Brookings the common statement around town was to make sure to get to the game by halftime. The stands were full at halftime, and people went to the restroom and to get concessions during the game. That would be because of the charisma of Jim McKinney and the greatness of the Pride. I've seen Notre Dame, UCLA, Florida State, Colorado, Syracuse, Minnesota, Nebraska, USC, Oregon, Washington, Arizona Sate, and other university marching bands. I'd put the Pride above almost all of those. Maybe...maybe...USC is more powerful. That's the only one that I can think of that might have more power and talent. But USC draws its talent from the cream of the crop in a region with 33,000,000 people.

Since SDSU's football team has been in the transition the home schedule has been really, really spotty. So the Pride hasn't had a reliable schedule. It hasn't been fun. So McKinney has had to adjust to keep his kids energized and happy. What a lousy home schedule there's been. Not cool for the band.

Remember...he recruits just like coaches do. He has to keep the troops happy too. If he subjects them to days and weeks of extreme weather, they'll lose trust in him. That simply can't happen. They'll leave. There has to be a cutoff date. And it isn't like..."oh, let's put it back together one more time. The band is a monster. The logistics of a 300-member marching band is mind boggling. McKinney has one or two assistants for 300 kids. How many football coaches are there...and how many players? There's always a real hard-core marching group within the band that would march all year. But there's also another large group of musicians that are at SDSU to get a balanced musical education. Those would be the music majors. I rather doubt that a majority of the music majors are begging to play through the month of November. In fact...I could guarantee it. He has a group of phenomenal musicians that aren't at SDSU just to march. I would also suggest that some of these musicians are only marching because they want to do it to please Jim and possibly to meet a requirement.

Show me a band that is a servant to the football program...and I'll show you a mediocre band. Show me a band with a director that has the guts to stand up for the needs of his/her band members...and I'll show you a group of kids that will give blood for the director. Jim's kids, for the most part, would give blood for him.

McKinney has a rap for being arrogant and egotistical in some circles...but not in the music world. It comes mostly from people who don't understand how the program works...and mostly from people that try to force him into doing something that is inappropriate for the program. When a football coach gets cocky and shows ego...it's called being a great leader. When a band director shows it...it's called something else. It's a double standard...and not fair.

Question: If McKinney asked the football coaches to require the players to attend 5 concerts a year to support the band, would the coaches or the players do it? It would be a cold day in hell.

SDSU has one of the best band programs in the upper midwest. Band directors throughout South Dakota and the region have nothing but respect for Jim. I know of directors in Minnesota that come over to the South Dakota Band Director's Convention to be influenced by Jim rather than go to the Minnesota events.

Myself...I was in Montana teaching and having some rough times. He drove out to Montana to help me out. That's the real Jim McKinney. He expected nothing in return.

If you were hurting...even if he didn't know you...he'd give you the shirt off his back. He's one of the nicest people that I've ever met. Jim & his wife have an adopted family of literally thousands of kids. They come back at homecoming by the hundreds every year and just hang out, just to feel Jim's personality again. The McKinney family opens its doors to all students that are in need. All

The egotistical Jim McKinney is the image that he has to portray in the public. The real Jim McKinney nearly walks on water, as far as his students are concerned. Jim's responsibility is to his band members. He will take the heat to protect their attitude. And even if some of his students are begging him to march at the NDSU game...may I suggest that he might know something that his students don't know? Correct me if I'm wrong...but he's the professional that is hired to direct the band. He is the leader.

Jim is a personal friend of mine. He's one of the best real friends that I've ever had. His wife is also. She's a saint. If the Pride isn't showing up for the big game, he has a damned good reason...which would be to create a balance in the band program for his students. I guarantee you that he is working his ass off right now to build the symphonic band up to a very high standard. They're outstanding. He never stops working.

He'll take the heat to protect his outstanding program...just as any good coach would.

Here's a hunch.

There's something political that has angered Jim. Someone, who wasn't in a position of authority, got in his face before he had a chance to bring it to his kids with enough time to actually organize a shift in the program for the year.

The Pride is called the Pride...because Jim has 'pride' in the Pride. It's his baby. He'll protect it until hell freezes over if he believes that it's in the best interest of his kids...at any cost to himself, or his career.

He's a leader.

Question: Is SDSU in session during the week of Thanksgiving? If not, they're scattered all over the country.

CaBisonFan
11-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Um, as loyal as I am to the NDSU music department, there's a choir across the river that may have a thing or two to say about that.

You've definitely got that right. It's a whole different world. It is Concordia's specialty. It is their heritage.

CaBisonFan
11-10-2007, 09:36 AM

The priority at SDSU is to sound phenomenal, powerful, and showy. They're not into the corps style marching...to their credit. They're a great band on a level of many major universities.

Nothing against the NDSU Choir...but the choir program in town is at Concordia. The football program in town is NDSU's.

Consider NDSU playing the Cobbers in football. It wouldn't be pretty.

The Concordia Choir is in the upper, upper, upper, elite choral programs in the country...with a history of phenomenal choirs since the 30s. It is their specialty.

Line up the Concordia Choir with NDSU's, and it would be like the football game...in reverse. It's a totally, totally different league.

braveheart
11-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Jim McKinney is one of the classiest directors...and legitimately nice people...that I've ever known. I taught band in Brookings Public Schools for years. When it came to helping me with my students, the word 'no' never existed. He travels the state constantly to do the same for anyone...anyone. He is the consumate professional...and a hell of a nice guy.

There is another purpose for music at SDSU. They educate music teachers and sometimes professional musicians.

This is usually the time of year when the Pride switches over to concert or symphonic band. They have an annual gig to perform for all of the high school directors in South Dakota in mid-winter. If they don't get off the field by mid-November there's no way to get that going. The directors across the state have high expectations...and this is where most of his recruits come from. Jim 'has to' have an outstanding symphonic band. Has to. There's great pressure to produce every year. It's for the Bandmaster's Convention for all of South Dakota.

The SDSU music program has balance. McKinney has an ego...but you have to have one to survive the pressures from outside. One of the reasons why the Pride is as good or better than most Big Ten bands is because McKinney understands college kids...and he instills trust. He promises his recruits that they will get a balanced musical experience. They gravitate to his personality. Without him, the Pride wouldn't be half of what it is.

The Pride is not a servant to the football team. They are equal. Does the football team set its schedule according to what the band needs? Not hardly. They do what they damn please and then 'expect' Jim to work with whatever is thrown at him. Lately...it's been scraps...because of the lousy home schedule. During my time in Brookings the common statement around town was to make sure to get to the game by halftime. The stands were full at halftime, and people went to the restroom and to get concessions during the game. That would be because of the charisma of Jim McKinney and the greatness of the Pride. I've seen Notre Dame, UCLA, Florida State, Colorado, Syracuse, Minnesota, Nebraska, USC, Oregon, Washington, Arizona Sate, and other university marching bands. I'd put the Pride above almost all of those. Maybe...maybe...USC is more powerful. That's the only one that I can think of that might have more power and talent. But USC draws its talent from the cream of the crop in a region with 33,000,000 people.

Since SDSU's football team has been in the transition the home schedule has been really, really spotty. So the Pride hasn't had a reliable schedule. It hasn't been fun. So McKinney has had to adjust to keep his kids energized and happy. What a lousy home schedule there's been. Not cool for the band.

Remember...he recruits just like coaches do. He has to keep the troops happy too. If he subjects them to days and weeks of extreme weather, they'll lose trust in him. That simply can't happen. They'll leave. There has to be a cutoff date. And it isn't like..."oh, let's put it back together one more time. The band is a monster. The logistics of a 300-member marching band is mind boggling. McKinney has one or two assistants for 300 kids. How many football coaches are there...and how many players? There's always a real hard-core marching group within the band that would march all year. But there's also another large group of musicians that are at SDSU to get a balanced musical education. Those would be the music majors. I rather doubt that a majority of the music majors are begging to play through the month of November. In fact...I could guarantee it. He has a group of phenomenal musicians that aren't at SDSU just to march. I would also suggest that some of these musicians are only marching because they want to do it to please Jim and possibly to meet a requirement.

Show me a band that is a servant to the football program...and I'll show you a mediocre band. Show me a band with a director that has the guts to stand up for the needs of his/her band members...and I'll show you a group of kids that will give blood for the director. Jim's kids, for the most part, would give blood for him.

McKinney has a rap for being arrogant and egotistical in some circles...but not in the music world. It comes mostly from people who don't understand how the program works...and mostly from people that try to force him into doing something that is inappropriate for the program. When a football coach gets cocky and shows ego...it's called being a great leader. When a band director shows it...it's called something else. It's a double standard...and not fair.

Question: If McKinney asked the football coaches to require the players to attend 5 concerts a year to support the band, would the coaches or the players do it? It would be a cold day in hell.

SDSU has one of the best band programs in the upper midwest. Band directors throughout South Dakota and the region have nothing but respect for Jim. I know of directors in Minnesota that come over to the South Dakota Band Director's Convention to be influenced by Jim rather than go to the Minnesota events.

Myself...I was in Montana teaching and having some rough times. He drove out to Montana to help me out. That's the real Jim McKinney. He expected nothing in return.

If you were hurting...even if he didn't know you...he'd give you the shirt off his back. He's one of the nicest people that I've ever met. Jim & his wife have an adopted family of literally thousands of kids. They come back at homecoming by the hundreds every year and just hang out, just to feel Jim's personality again. The McKinney family opens its doors to all students that are in need. All

The egotistical Jim McKinney is the image that he has to portray in the public. The real Jim McKinney nearly walks on water, as far as his students are concerned. Jim's responsibility is to his band members. He will take the heat to protect their attitude. And even if some of his students are begging him to march at the NDSU game...may I suggest that he might know something that his students don't know? Correct me if I'm wrong...but he's the professional that is hired to direct the band. He is the leader.

Jim is a personal friend of mine. He's one of the best real friends that I've ever had. His wife is also. She's a saint. If the Pride isn't showing up for the big game, he has a damned good reason...which would be to create a balance in the band program for his students. I guarantee you that he is working his ass off right now to build the symphonic band up to a very high standard. They're outstanding. He never stops working.

He'll take the heat to protect his outstanding program...just as any good coach would.

Here's a hunch.

There's something political that has angered Jim. Someone, who wasn't in a position of authority, got in his face before he had a chance to bring it to his kids with enough time to actually organize a shift in the program for the year.

The Pride is called the Pride...because Jim has 'pride' in the Pride. It's his baby. He'll protect it until hell freezes over if he believes that it's in the best interest of his kids...at any cost to himself, or his career.

He's a leader.

Question: Is SDSU in session during the week of Thanksgiving? If not, they're scattered all over the country.Gordy! Gordy! Gordy!

pmp6nl
11-10-2007, 06:08 PM
If you want funding help from student government then why doesn't a student request it?

Have a chat with one of the finance guys: http://www.ndsu.edu/sg/finance.php

gobison.gsb
11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
The band will be going to SDSU.

Bison"FANatic"
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :D :D :D :D :D :D :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tatanka
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ++++++++++++++++++

BisBison
11-14-2007, 05:13 PM
The band will be going to SDSU.

That's great news!! The more the merrier.

Live2Tailgate
11-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Excellent. The planets are aligning for the quintessential college football Saturday.

Now all we need is Lee Corso donning a buffalo head and loudly predicting a Bison victory in front of a crowd of thousands.

Oh wait, the game would have to be on TV in order for him to do that.

jimmyjack
11-15-2007, 12:06 AM
That's great news that your band will be there. It's actually funny because it took some high-level pressure to get OUR band to show up. Thank heavens they'll be there.

It'll be fun to have both bands there. Thanks Gold Star Band.

chuckles
11-15-2007, 12:56 AM
well the domino effect worked, one way or the other.....I have heard from some friends at SDSU that the Pride will also be there

gobison.gsb
11-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Only half of the Gold Star Band will be going though, since we didn't officially find out until this morning whether we were going or not. A lot of people either had other plans or are already working and couldn't get out of it.

jimmyjack
11-15-2007, 01:08 PM
well the domino effect worked, one way or the other.....I have heard from some friends at SDSU that the Pride will also be there

Rumor has it the Governor (SDSU grad) got involved. Just a rumor, but not outside of the realm of possibility. Our band director has an ego (deserved, really... he's pretty good) and was playing chicken with the athletic department. Probably not his best moment.

I think only about 1/4 of the Pride will be there, 125 or so. Pretty sad.

BisBison
11-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Rumor has it the Governor (SDSU grad) got involved. Just a rumor, but not outside of the realm of possibility. Our band director has an ego (deserved, really... he's pretty good) and was playing chicken with the athletic department. Probably not his best moment.

I think only about 1/4 of the Pride will be there, 125 or so. Pretty sad.

1/4th and still 125?? We'd be lucky to have that number with all our band and half of someone else's

El_Chapitan
11-15-2007, 11:46 PM
1/4th and still 125?? We'd be lucky to have that number with all our band and half of someone else's

Somehow I doubt the pride has 500 members.

fargocyclone
11-16-2007, 12:44 AM

Iowa State has 330 and THAT's considered A LOT! One of the bigger bands in the Big XII.

(Iowa State's also a little larger of a school than SDSU...)

Tatanka
11-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Perhaps the same person who counted students "enrolled" at UND was tasked with producing the band member count at SDSU.

"we're very certain that there's 500 members, but if you asked us to line them up on the quad, we're not sure we could do that"... :nod:

CaBisonFan
11-16-2007, 01:23 AM

When I taught band at BHS the Pride was over 400...and growing. McKinney took them to the Rose Bowl Parade, Packers games almost every year to march, and to two inaugural parades in D.C. He's a master recruiter, motivator, and he knows how to dangle the carrot. The wabbits eat it up.

For decades, the Pride Marching Band has been the biggest thing at SDSU.

So for every person outside of the program that thinks he's an arrogant SOB, there are thousands of former band members that worship the ground he walks on. He had total control without being an a..hole.

Why? Because he stood up for the program, and when he thought it was being abused, he stood his ground.

His students respect him and like him as a person. So do I.

If any one of you got a chance to know him a little, you'd relate to him totally. He's a regular guy with a very special gift. He's not a snobbish musician from some east coast conservatory. His background is Iowa State, and I think Oklahoma. Has a southern drawl and a hell of a sense of humor. He'd give you the shirt off his back.

Lastly...SDSU gives an enormous amount of scholarships to be in the band. That's how most major university marching bands work. My grad. school work at Arizona State taught me a lot. Over 50 percent of the 400-member marching band was on full scholarship in music. Most of the rest were on partial scholarship. It was all tax money from the state of Arizona. No fundraising there. Very little at SDSU.

I have no doubt that the Pride is in the 4 to 500 class as far as size. None.

Bisonguy
11-16-2007, 01:39 AM
From SDSU's Very Own Interwebsite (http://www3.sdstate.edu/Academics/CollegeOfArtsAndSciences/Music/EnsemblesAreasofStudy/PrideoftheDakotas/Index.cfm)

With nearly 400 members, the Pride is open to all SDSU students and credit for the course may be applied to the required University core of humanities.

Seems like marching band stories are kinda like fish stories. :nod:

BigBison
11-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Minnesota gives zero scolarships for band, and their band's got to be 300-350 members. But I guess when you have over 40,000 students you can get 300-350 students to go out for band.

jimmyjack
11-16-2007, 02:15 AM

Somehow, you're wrong.

It's a Rose Parade year. The Pride is the only college band with a team not participating in the game ever to be invited back for a second time. Everybody wants to be in The Pride this year so they can go on the big California trip. I was told it's about 480 when you count all the flag girls, etc. Normal years, there's around 400 in The Pride.

Why do you think anybody would lie about the size of their marching band? It's a big deal down here.

jimmyjack
11-16-2007, 02:21 AM
From SDSU's Very Own Interwebsite (http://www3.sdstate.edu/Academics/CollegeOfArtsAndSciences/Music/EnsemblesAreasofStudy/PrideoftheDakotas/Index.cfm)

Seems like marching band stories are kinda like fish stories. :nod:

Read my post above. It's a Rose Parade year. Also, do you think they update the university Web site every time a kid joins or leaves the band? During their shows this year, they announced that it was the largest group ever, around 480 all told.

Bisonguy
11-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Read my post above. It's a Rose Parade year. Also, do you think they update the university Web site every time a kid joins or leaves the band? During their shows this year, they announced that it was the largest group ever, around 480 all told.

I'll take a photo and count 'em up after the game. :nod:

CaBisonFan
11-16-2007, 03:23 AM

Marching band is huge in high schools from Brookings and down the 29. A lot of Minnesota bands come over to Brookings and Sioux Falls to compete in the fall. McKinney brings the Pride, or the Pride Drumline to some of the events to put on a show for thousands of high school kids. They totally rock.

So what's the dream of a lot of those kids?

To march in the Pride at SDSU.

There's only one really active high school marching program in North Dakota. That's Bismarck Century.

SDSU has thousands of kids to draw on that can march and play in their sleep. And they love it.

BisBison
11-16-2007, 04:04 AM
Marching band is huge in high schools from Brookings and down the 29. A lot of Minnesota bands come over to Brookings and Sioux Falls to compete in the fall. McKinney brings the Pride, or the Pride Drumline to some of the events to put on a show for thousands of high school kids. They totally rock.

There's only one really active high school marching program in North Dakota. That's Bismarck Century.

SDSU has thousands of kids to draw on that can march and play in their sleep. And they love it.

Correction you meant Mandan I think. Bismarck Century only marches in parades not on the football field in formations. Mandan is the only high school field marching band in ND. They marched at a Bison game and at a Goopher game last year. The kids had a great time at SU with our band and commented how the GOopher band treated them like second class citizens.

BigDeal
11-16-2007, 04:13 AM
Somehow, you're wrong.

It's a Rose Parade year. The Pride is the only college band with a team not participating in the game ever to be invited back for a second time. Everybody wants to be in The Pride this year so they can go on the big California trip. I was told it's about 480 when you count all the flag girls, etc. Normal years, there's around 400 in The Pride.

Why do you think anybody would lie about the size of their marching band? It's a big deal down here.

480 < 500

Serious question though, how many different shows does The Pride put on a year? I've heard anything from a new one every game to just doing one a year. I'm not trying to start a pissing match (minus the 480 < 500), I'm just curious. Thanks.

travelingbison
11-16-2007, 05:28 AM
Since we are on the topic of size.....

I would like to officially announce that my instrument is bigger than everyone elses instrument!!

Honestly though kids, there are better things to talk about than the exact numbers in both bands....for example, I personally can't wait to listen to The Pride play their school song - you know, the one that goes 'head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes.' :D :D

It's nice to see that the GSMB will be at the game, they've got a better sound this year and will only add to the excitement of the game.

jimmyjack
11-16-2007, 12:14 PM
480 < 500

Serious question though, how many different shows does The Pride put on a year? I've heard anything from a new one every game to just doing one a year. I'm not trying to start a pissing match (minus the 480 < 500), I'm just curious. Thanks.

Good question. They do one show over and over. They add a few bells and whistles, but it often seems at the games like they are practicing for something else.

You guys have seen the UC Davis Band-Uh, right? Now there's a band I can appreciate. They jump on a bus for 30 hours, jump off and play "Separate Ways" to mock us for being so far behind in popular culture. Great stuff.

BigDeal
11-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I personally love the band-uh! from UC Davis. Now that's a band that has school spirit. Only 40 or so came to Fargo, but they left an impression on us for sure.

bisonhusker
11-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Three years ago in Brookings their band was awesome. Playing top 40 music that you would hear on the radio....even some up beat rap type stuff. Then I think back to the halftime of the Fargodome.....and we play the Moody Blues.....ugghhh. I am excited to see the Jacks band tomorrow.

UTH
11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Three years ago in Brookings their band was awesome. Playing top 40 music that you would hear on the radio....even some up beat rap type stuff. Then I think back to the halftime of the Fargodome.....and we play the Moody Blues.....ugghhh. I am excited to see the Jacks band tomorrow.

or some "Rendition of [insert random song here] by the Beatles!"

aces1180
11-16-2007, 04:01 PM

This year it was Styx...ugh.

El_Chapitan
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM

If you are going to say that Century is the only marching band, then you need to add Bismarck High, St. Mary's, Horizon Middle School, Simle Middle School, and Wacter Middle School cause they march just about as much as Century does. And as already stated, Mandan IS the only field marching band.

aces1180
11-16-2007, 05:29 PM
If you are going to say that Century is the only marching band, then you need to add Bismarck High, St. Mary's, Horizon Middle School, Simle Middle School, and Wacter Middle School cause they march just about as much as Century does. And as already stated, Mandan IS the only field marching band.

You are correct...I am a graduate of MHS and my cousin was in the band.

BigDeal
11-16-2007, 05:34 PM

No, that was the U of Minnesota this year.

Mr. Burgundy
11-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Apparently there are bands that want to get the crowd involved (SDSU) and there are bands that want to show off their musical abilities (NDSU). I am excited to see the SDSU band tomorrow.

UTH
11-16-2007, 06:06 PM
No, that was the U of Minnesota this year.

I don't remember what UM's band played. One thing I will never be able to unhear is the repetitive groundhog day halftime shows. Strawberry Fields Forever? Hey, Jude? Yepper. The killer for me was...

We all live in a yellow submarine,
a yellow submarine...
a yellow submarine...
[repeat as necessary]

They're a great band and it's awesome when they play at games. Whoever is in charge of choosing music for halftime shows needs a little talking to.

aces1180
11-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Apparently there are bands that want to get the crowd involved (SDSU) and there are bands that want to show off their musical abilities (NDSU). I am excited to see the SDSU band tomorrow.

I saw the Pride at the Fargodome in 2003...All I can say is wow.

travelingbison
11-16-2007, 07:02 PM

Keep in mind, the SDSU band isn't going to be marching tomorrow. They are going to be a pep band, just like the GSMB will be in the stands.

I don't know about anyone else, but I remember the last time I heard SDSU's band in the stands - and they only played the same 4 or 5 tunes over and over. That's where I've got to give it to the GSMB, they've at least got variety - even if it's a 'golden oldie.'

gobison.gsb
11-18-2007, 03:23 AM
I just would like to say thank you to the ndsu fans at the sdsu game today. We may not be as large, have the brand new instruments, or the money as "the pride", but we played our hearts out and did our best to support our team and crowd. Thank you to all who cheered and thanked us as we walked in and out. It means a lot to us.

chuckles
11-18-2007, 03:30 AM
I just would like to say thank you to the ndsu fans at the sdsu game today. We may not be as large, have the brand new instruments, or the money as "the pride", but we played our hearts out and did our best to support our team and crowd. Thank you to all who cheered and thanked us as we walked in and out. It means a lot to us.
and thank you (or the powers that be) who decided to bring the band to brookings today. It was great to have the band there and another form of BISON PRIDE!

sambini
11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
It was great to have the band there saturday. Thanks to administration for gettting this done.

Bison"FANatic"
11-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for showing up. You were appreciated

BisBison
11-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks for showing up. You were appreciated

I echo this and from where I was sitting you were everybit as loud as the Pride.