PDA

View Full Version : Best Student Section?

BigBison
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
This is more a question for people that go to road games. I was wondering how our student section stacks up against other FCS teams? What about conference teams? Do we have the best student section in FCS? I know we could do better, but how do we do agaisnt the competition?

roadwarrior
11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
This is more a question for people that go to road games. I was wondering how our student section stacks up against other FCS teams? What about conference teams? Do we have the best student section in FCS? I know we could do better, but how do we do against the competition?

Central Michigan had a pretty loud student section (probably alcohol induced) but they were mostly out of there by the second half. They were completely in the end zone.

Western Illinois had one side that was GA mixed with students, and while there were quite a few there at the beginning of the game, they didn't do much for noise.

Minnesota, well everyone was there for themselves.

Mississippi Valley State did not have a visible student section. The band was loud however.

To answer your question, when our student section is full, they rock compared to almost all of the other student sections that I have seen! Wearing the yellow shirts really helps identify where they are in the dome.

Trim
11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I thought the Central Michigan student section was pretty good too, especially how they were in the end zone in that U-shaped stadium. When we first walked in I thought, "Oh, man, this is going to be a hostile, tough place to play". And it was pretty loud, to start with. Luckily, the Bison stuck it them early and often.

fargocyclone
11-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Central Michigan had a pretty loud student section (probably alcohol induced) but they were mostly out of there by the second half. They were completely in the end zone.

Western Illinois had one side that was GA mixed with students, and while there were quite a few there at the beginning of the game, they didn't do much for noise.

Minnesota, well everyone was there for themselves.

Mississippi Valley State did not have a visible student section. The band was loud however.

To answer your question, when our student section is full, they rock compared to almost all of the other student sections that I have seen! Wearing the yellow shirts really helps identify where they are in the dome.

CMU (and obviously the U of M) are FBS still though. From these posts, it seems that we are doing very well as far as FCS goes. Anyone disagree?

BraxtonT
11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Central Michigan was good, but I recall the fans down at Georgia Southern being quite vocal right away. Like the CMU game, though, the GS students got quiet in a hurry when things started going the Bison way.

sambini
11-07-2007, 01:09 AM
I wnet to Georgia Southern last year. They were loud the first half. Then we got on a roll and were very impressed of NDSU.

NDSUFREAK
11-07-2007, 03:14 AM
Not compared to FBS (no central michigan or minny) just the FCS. I think they are up there

onbison09
11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
In the College Sporting New's fan rankings we finished in like 16th last year. Haven't seen them this year.

Gully
11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I wnet to Georgia Southern last year. They were loud the first half. Then we got on a roll and were very impressed of NDSU.

Who's house? Our house!

They were good but not better than NDSU fans. I don't think they appreciated us singing, "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands" toward the end of the game.

BraxtonT
11-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Who's house? Our house!

They were good but not better than NDSU fans. I don't think they appreciated us singing, "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands" toward the end of the game.

Ah, the memories! That was just plain FUN.

missingnumber7
11-09-2007, 11:44 AM
The only place i've been where the student section has impressed me was Montana St. I was at the gophers game last year, SDSU several times, UND, Northern Colorado, Auggie. So my visits are limited, but I will say that nothing beats NDSU's student section when they want to be loud.

chuckles
11-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Section 15!!!!

sambini
11-14-2007, 04:37 AM
The BISON students rock++++++++++++++++

Bison06
11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Davis and Poly can be pretty hostile and loud. Davis has a cool idea, they have two guys down on the field that act as MC's with microphones and lead cheers and get the crowd into it. Very cool and keeps everyone organized. Also, from what I have seen at some of the bigger college venues(mostly on TV) it helps to get the band involved, or at least the drummers. They can keep everyone on the same page and on beat when it comes to cheers throughout a stadium. What we really need is a group of people who are committed to being at every game to educate the others on when do to certain chants or cheers, when to be loud, when to be quiet(when we are on offense). If this group became reputable they would be respected by the rest of the student section and they would stay organized as a group. It seems like all the big time programs have this group of people, it would be great to see it here.

met1990
11-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Davis has a cool idea, they have two guys down on the field that act as MC's with microphones and lead cheers and get the crowd into it.

Delta State did the same thing in '00.

westriver bison
11-14-2007, 06:46 PM
What we really need is a group of people who are committed to being at every game to educate the others on when do to certain chants or cheers, when to be loud, when to be quiet(when we are on offense). If this group became reputable they would be respected by the rest of the student section and they would stay organized as a group. It seems like all the big time programs have this group of people, it would be great to see it here.

These are called cheerleaders.

Bison06
11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Actually they are not. Big time programs have people IN THE STANDS that lead cheers and hold up signs to let people know what is going on. Block O at Ohio State comes to mind. They are very well known and the rest of the students are in unison. I have seen this at stadiums and trust me the cheerleaders play thier role as well, but cheerleaders can only do so much. We have all been to the fargo dome and heard the Defense...Defense chants that are not in unison from section to section because the group that leads the chant is not in front of thier section.
Also we don't really have a cheer that is unique to NDSU. As much as I hate and I mean hate the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A chant at the U of M everyone knows the words and they can do it in unison. It is very intimidating to be a player in a stadium full of people that are in complete unison. Ever been to Washington-Grizzly stadium and heard them say FIRST DOWN-MONTANA? It's bleeping scary I'll tell you that. Yeah we can be loud, but we need to be organized.

pmp6nl
11-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Actually they are not. Big time programs have people IN THE STANDS that lead cheers and hold up signs to let people know what is going on. Block O at Ohio State comes to mind. They are very well known and the rest of the students are in unison. I have seen this at stadiums and trust me the cheerleaders play thier role as well, but cheerleaders can only do so much. We have all been to the fargo dome and heard the Defense...Defense chants that are not in unison from section to section because the group that leads the chant is not in front of thier section.
Also we don't really have a cheer that is unique to NDSU. As much as I hate and I mean hate the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A chant at the U of M everyone knows the words and they can do it in unison. It is very intimidating to be a player in a stadium full of people that are in complete unison. Ever been to Washington-Grizzly stadium and heard them say FIRST DOWN-MONTANA? It's bleeping scary I'll tell you that. Yeah we can be loud, but we need to be organized.

So how do we get organized?

extremerouge
12-01-2007, 06:22 PM
So how do we get organized?
have designated people with microphones leading the cheer...See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTkXpdRRgSw

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iS97D0Rkko

you can skip the first 1.30 of the second video because of the stupid music they put over the video...

missingnumber7
12-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I like the 4th down chant.

Bison06
12-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Exactly, that is the epitome of organized. Obviously that is an extreme example, but that is the organization I was referring to.

Bison06
12-03-2007, 09:52 PM
How do we get organized? It will take someone or a group of students at the school to commit themselves to being in the same seats for every game and leading the students. No joke, they need to practice before the season and make sure all of the students honor that they are the leaders and we will do the chants that they begin. Do you think all of the Cameron Crazies(Duke basketball) just happened by accident. They are organized. Anybody up for it? I am an alum so it's not an option for me.

roadwarrior
12-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Some students should approach the cheer team and see what could happen. It would look pretty dumb if the cheer team was doing one thing and the student section something entirely different.

Tatanka
12-06-2007, 12:08 AM
How do we get organized? It will take someone or a group of students at the school to commit themselves to being in the same seats for every game and leading the students. No joke, they need to practice before the season and make sure all of the students honor that they are the leaders and we will do the chants that they begin. Do you think all of the Cameron Crazies(Duke basketball) just happened by accident. They are organized. Anybody up for it? I am an alum so it's not an option for me.
not an option for me either. but I do have some advice: do it right.

start a student organization. get yourself a faculty/staff advisor, get registered, and apply for some funding from student senate.

or, look at the Antlers at Mizzou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Antlers)for inspiration. more here (http://mymissourian.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3391)

Bison06
12-06-2007, 06:23 PM
haha, reading about some of the pranks the antlers have pulled was pretty funny. Other than the off-color remarks and other questionable things that these guys have done, this is exactly what I had in mind for our student section. All it takes is somone to step up to the plate and be the leader of the group.

HooliganBison
12-08-2007, 07:29 AM
We have some good traditions right now, they just need tweaking. Add 1 or 2 more and the place would be rocking. One tweak I was thinking of is to jump around while doing the current O's and arms up before kickoff. That would have to get the guys pumped up. College kids are always looking for a reason to jump around we need at least 1 cheer where they can.

missingnumber7
12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
not an option for me either. but I do have some advice: do it right.

start a student organization. get yourself a faculty/staff advisor, get registered, and apply for some funding from student senate.

or, look at the Antlers at Mizzou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Antlers)for inspiration. more here (http://mymissourian.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3391)

They have Bison Brigade. Its just coming around, but needs a little time to get goin. I think they have what it takes, just needs someone to take and run with it.

extremerouge
12-10-2007, 10:38 AM
They have Bison Brigade. Its just coming around, but needs a little time to get goin. I think they have what it takes, just needs someone to take and run with it.
bison brigade doesn't do anything! i was in the bison brigade...they have been around for several years...i think the members of bison brigade need to get more involved in the games and come up with some good cheers/chants...

missingnumber7
12-15-2007, 08:18 PM
bison brigade doesn't do anything! i was in the bison brigade...they have been around for several years...i think the members of bison brigade need to get more involved in the games and come up with some good cheers/chants...

Actually members of the bison brigade need to start showing they have more school spirit than just going to meetings to see coach talk. How about like standing in line to get good seats for the game. Been there done that for each of the last 5 years...except while I was deployed. In fact the last home UND game my brother-in-law and sister and I spent the night in line, and froze our asses off and got kicked off the property 3 or 4 times. Think of the uproar that would happen if NDSU started what the grizzled ones out west do. Their students pay $4 to go to games.