PDA

View Full Version : A special way to remember this team and era

AKBison
11-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I was trying to think of a way to remember this team and individuals in the class of 2008 who stuck through the transition, didn't transfer and came to NDSU knowing that we had no chance at the post season. Yet, through their sacrifice they have reinvigorated NDSU Football and taken it to places most of us thought we could not get to during the transition. They have proved that NDSU can compete in DI. The best idea I could come up with is what Kentucky did for the "unforgettable's" a group of four senoirs that stuck with program during early 90's even when they were banned from Post season play and playing on tv. In their senoir year they finally got to play in the NCAA tounament and ended up losing to DUKE in OT on Christian Laettner's last second shot. Upon returning back to Lexington, the held a celebration at the RUPP and promptly retired all four of their jerseys (Not their numbers) as the AD gave a speech about how their loyalty laid the foundation for the future success of Kentucky basketball and this was their way of thanking them. Our situation is a little different but similar. If we run the tables and beat SDSU, we need to open up the doors to the Dome the next day, encourage everyone and their dog to be there and in front of a sellout sized crowd hang a banner to remember this team. We obviously won't and can't be national champions but we will be Champions none the less. How about a banner that says something like "2008 Champions or Champs 2008" or whatever.

We just need some way of remembering this team and its seniors for what they have done for NDSU. Any ideas?

aces1180
11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
If this team wins the Great West title, they will have access to the Champions Room in the Fargodome. Only teams who have won conference or national titles are allowing to enter. With this honor, the team also gets its picture on the wall.

I think this is a pretty good way to show appreciation.

NDSUstudent
11-06-2007, 05:37 PM
The only the banner that should be hung is one that says, "Great West Champs 2007." That said, I think a good way of honoring this team would be to lay all the players names/numbers who played in the transition years in the floor of the area where the team walks from the locker room to where they run out of the Bison Helmet before kickoff. That way every player from next year on will know just who laid the foundation of NDSU success in DI they are a part of.

AKBison
11-06-2007, 06:11 PM
The only the banner that should be hung is one that says, "Great West Champs 2007." That said, I think a good way of honoring this team would be to lay all the players names/number who played in the transition years in the floor of the area where the team walks from the locker room to where they run out of the Bison Helmet before kickoff. That way every player from next year on will know just who laid the foundation of NDSU success in DI they are a part of.

THat is pretty solid and out of the box. Great Idea!

TheBisonator
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Speaking of Great West banners, why didn't we get a banner to hang in the FFD for last year's championship??

99Bison
11-06-2007, 11:42 PM
THat is pretty solid and out of the box. Great Idea!

The only the banner that should be hung is one that says, "Great West Champs 2007." That said, I think a good way of honoring this team would be to lay all the players names/numbers who played in the transition years in the floor of the area where the team walks from the locker room to where they run out of the Bison Helmet before kickoff. That way every player from next year on will know just who laid the foundation of NDSU success in DI they are a part of.

Agreed, that's a good idea... Except what about those that laid the foundation for the program itself prior to that... :uhyeah:

onbison09
11-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Have they inducted a team into the HOF before? This group really is the definition of the word team and that would be really fitting.

tjbison
11-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Agreed, that's a good idea... Except what about those that laid the foundation for the program itself prior to that... :uhyeah:

Yes, not that these players don't deserve it, but they are not the only ones in the rich NDSU Tradition. I do agree something would be nice for this class.

56BISON73
11-07-2007, 02:31 AM
I was trying to think of a way to remember this team and individuals in the class of 2008 who stuck through the transition, didn't transfer and came to NDSU knowing that we had no chance at the post season. Yet, through their sacrifice they have reinvigorated NDSU Football and taken it to places most of us thought we could not get to during the transition. They have proved that NDSU can compete in DI. The best idea I could come up with is what Kentucky did for the "unforgettable's" a group of four senoirs that stuck with program during early 90's even when they were banned from Post season play and playing on tv. In their senoir year they finally got to play in the NCAA tounament and ended up losing to DUKE in OT on Christian Laettner's last second shot. Upon returning back to Lexington, the held a celebration at the RUPP and promptly retired all four of their jerseys (Not their numbers) as the AD gave a speech about how their loyalty laid the foundation for the future success of Kentucky basketball and this was their way of thanking them. Our situation is a little different but similar. If we run the tables and beat SDSU, we need to open up the doors to the Dome the next day, encourage everyone and their dog to be there and in front of a sellout sized crowd hang a banner to remember this team. We obviously won't and can't be national champions but we will be Champions none the less. How about a banner that says something like "2008 Champions or Champs 2008" or whatever.

We just need some way of remembering this team and its seniors for what they have done for NDSU. Any ideas?

These plyers did exactly what they were supposed to do and what many Bison teams of the past have done. Thats was to win ball games and championships. ALL who play and have played for the Bison are special.
To single out one team over another because they are supposedly more special than another is not a good approach. PL

CaBisonFan
11-07-2007, 03:33 AM

No ideas...but I like your idea of doing something. Thanks.

Gully
11-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Isn't it strange that our "probation" was very similar to Kentucky's basketball probation. Jeez, what would the NCAA do to us if we actually broke some rules?

missingnumber7
11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Speaking of Great West banners, why didn't we get a banner to hang in the FFD for last year's championship??

Because it wasn't a national championship. If they were to hang the great west banner, then they would have to make NCC banners for all the previous conference championships.

Leonardite
11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Because it wasn't a national championship. If they were to hang the great west banner, then they would have to make NCC banners for all the previous conference championships.

There used to be a banner hanging over the fifty that had all of the NCC championship years on it. They took it down after the D1 move.

Bison06
11-07-2007, 07:27 PM
These plyers did exactly what they were supposed to do and what many Bison teams of the past have done. Thats was to win ball games and championships. ALL who play and have played for the Bison are special.
To single out one team over another because they are supposedly more special than another is not a good approach. PL

I disagree that any other team has done what these young men have done. I agree that all that have played in this program are special, but these guys not only stuck with the program, which is commendable in and of itself, they have taken our program to a new level with no ability to play in the post season. I think we would be able to honor this team without disrespecting the teams that have come before them. As a former player I wouldn't feel disrespected by honoring this group of men. As you say all that have played at NDSU are special, and for standing out in a place where we are accustomed to greatness, they should be honored IMO.

THEsocalledfan
11-07-2007, 08:11 PM
I disagree that any other team has done what these young men have done. I agree that all that have played in this program are special, but these guys not only stuck with the program, which is commendable in and of itself, they have taken our program to a new level with no ability to play in the post season. I think we would be able to honor this team without disrespecting the teams that have come before them. As a former player I wouldn't feel disrespected by honoring this group of men. As you say all that have played at NDSU are special, and for standing out in a place where we are accustomed to greatness, they should be honored IMO.

Is one team in some way more important than another? Of course not, and I think that is what PL is saying. However, I do think a banner needs to be hung in the FargoDome honoring this season if somehow they end up undefeated and #1 ranked. I would be a travesty not to honor them in that way. It should go beyond just a Great West Football Championship banner and be something like "2007 Undefeated Season finished ranked #1 in FCS" or something else while being very careful not calling it a National Title. If people complain (like our Montana or Iowa friends) that they are overstating the accomplishment, tell them to talk to the NCAA who makes up these arcane rules prohibiting NDSU from proving they are the best on the field. Further, they would have not argument as we would not be claiming that we won a nation title.

Morale of the story: This is as big as being Divison 2 National Champ and needs to be treated in at least as big a way. There is a real chance that this season could get somewhat forgotten in Bison lore if we win multiple FCS titles; we cannot allow that to happen.

fargocyclone
11-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Is one team in some way more important than another? Of course not, and I think that is what PL is saying. However, I do think a banner needs to be hung in the FargoDome honoring this season if somehow they end up undefeated and #1 ranked. I would be a travesty not to honor them in that way. It should go beyond just a Great West Football Championship banner and be something like "2007 Undefeated Season finished ranked #1 in FCS" or something else while being very careful not calling it a National Title. If people complain (like our Montana or Iowa friends) that they are overstating the accomplishment, tell them to talk to the NCAA who makes up these arcane rules prohibiting NDSU from proving they are the best on the field. Further, they would have not argument as we would not be claiming that we won a nation title.

Morale of the story: This is as big as being Divison 2 National Champ and needs to be treated in at least as big a way. There is a real chance that this season could get somewhat forgotten in Bison lore if we win multiple FCS titles; we cannot allow that to happen.

Of all the ideas I've read here, this one seems like the best. It gives recognition to this year's team without belittling those that came before.

Also, Congrats on your 500th post, THEsocalledfan!!

THEsocalledfan
11-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Of all the ideas I've read here, this one seems like the best. It gives recognition to this year's team without belittling those that came before.

Also, Congrats on your 500th post, THEsocalledfan!!

Thanks, didn't even realize it. Rep point to you!

56BISON73
11-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Soooooo if some where down the line The Bison have a good year but dont get picked for the playoffs then we will AGAIN be finding a way to honor that team also. You are setting precedences here. Just like rings for a conference championship. Do we do that again this year for a five team conference?. What about all the other conference championships won and nothing was received.
Think some are taking this warm and fuzzy feel good thing way to far that they have to honored because they came they stayed etc. Many have come and stayed. Many werent honored for it. PL

fargocyclone
11-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Soooooo if some where down the line The Bison have a good year but dont get picked for the playoffs then we will AGAIN be finding a way to honor that team also. You are setting precedences here. Just like rings for a conference championship. Do we do that again this year for a five team conference?. What about all the other conference championships won and nothing was received.
Think some are taking this warm and fuzzy feel good thing way to far that they have to honored because they came they stayed etc. Many have come and stayed. Many werent honored for it. PL

I don't believe this will be a problem. If the Bison are not picked for the playoffs, then they most likely are not possibly the top team in FCS and shouldn't be commended for it.

THEsocalledfan
11-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't believe this will be a problem. If the Bison are not picked for the playoffs, then they most likely are not possibly the top team in FCS and shouldn't be commended for it.

Undefeated from here on out puts NDSU in the playoffs (Gateway autobid) with a chance to win a National Title. This team has no such chance to prove it on the field and could very well be the best team in the nation, like the D2 national title teams.

It reminds me a lot of when Boise St. also did not have a chance to prove they were the best on the field. It would be interesting to know what they did as it is possible they were the best team in the country that year.

56BISON73
11-07-2007, 08:57 PM

There is always some teams left out of the playoffs that feel they should have been selected. PL

UTH
11-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I have to agree with 56Bison73 here. A banner is not something to take too lightly. When people hear about team banners in an arena, etc., they think about championships - whether it's conference, league, state, national, or whatever. A #1 finish may indicate that they're the best in the FCS, but not the champions of the FCS. If one goes up for this team's finish at #1, I would expect everyone to assume that it's to celebrate a national championship.

I agree that this team has earned some recognition for all they have done. Another idea can be a team picture and narrative of their accomplishments in the east lobby of the FFD.

fargocyclone
11-07-2007, 09:09 PM
There is always some teams left out of the playoffs that feel they should have been selected. PL

Undefeated ones? We are talking about a possible #1 ranking in end of season polls, not being just good enough to merely get into the playoffs for a shot to be #1. There's a difference here.

UND Thundering Herd's idea is also a good one, probably the best yet. This will give recognition without inciting any "claiming of national championship" talk.

THEsocalledfan
11-08-2007, 01:59 AM

Can you somehow explain to me, how the Bison could go undefeated in future years and be left out of the playoffs? PL, it is impossible so you have no point.

56BISON73
11-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Can you somehow explain to me, how the Bison could go undefeated in future years and be left out of the playoffs? PL, it is impossible so you have no point.

I didnt mention anything about undefeated. But there are always some teams that feel thay get hosed by not being selected.
The point is are they going to honor a team that had a good record but didnt get selected.
People were all besides themselves last year over the same situation. This year is the same all over again.
Honoring teams for what ever reason sets presedences especially when teams in the past havent been honored for ex conference championships.
PL

heymch86
11-08-2007, 02:12 AM
how about we finish this season with wins against Cal-Poly and SDSU first before start thinking of how to honor these teams. Both games on the road, both teams with something to play for- Cal-Poly a playoff berth, SDSU the Marker and have a shot at winning the conference. Definitely will not be easy

TransAmBison
11-08-2007, 02:14 AM
I like the idea somebody had about putting the names of the players on the floor leading to the field. They could also have a small paragraph stating what the players gave up (playoffs) to come to NDSU during the transition, and their accomplishments and the #1 ranking without a chance at a championship. That way if would be for the future teams to see the dedication put into the team before they were Bison, but it wouldn't be out in the open for the public to see and get confused thinking it was a championship banner. I'm sure this would be very expensive and won't happen, but it is just what I would think is best.

56BISON73
11-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Actually if they win the conference championship they WILL have their team pictures in the championship room along with their final national ranking. PL

AKBison
11-08-2007, 05:11 PM
What about some sort of plaque or engraved marble that sits at the end of the hallway right before the helmet. It could say something like 2007 11-0 "play for us." Meaning bring home the national championship. It would be somthing each player touched on their way to the field. I guess the reason these young men are so special is that they had no post season to play for. The Great West title and Dakota marker are nice but they don't bring you to Fargo to play for the Bison. These Men played for each other, their coach, their fans and their love of the game. They will not be special for going 11-0, they will be special as they have layed the foundation for future DI success by putting a greater cause (Bison Football) in front of personal accomplishments (National championships and post season play). IMHO, that is why they deserve special recognition.

Of course this talk is worthless if we don't take care of business at POLY and SDSU, hopfeully the players don't read this board!

TheDoctor
11-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Of course this talk is worthless if we don't take care of business at POLY and SDSU, hopfeully the players don't read this board!

So true! But, I really like the idea of the "play for us" for the undefeated team that gave up 5 years of their lives playing for future teams. ALL THIS, IF they win the next two.....so lets win! ;)

SUfan23
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Certainly this team has given Bison fans some great memories from this year, I will not dispute that. However, I don't agree with the statement that they've given up five years of their lives and didn't have the chance to compete for a championship, therefore we should go out of our way to commemorate this single team. There is not one Bison player or one Bison team that has been, or will be, more important than the next....the HERD doesn't work that way. Everyone who has ever put on the Bison jersey has sacrificed themselves in some way for a greater cause. The teams from the Mudra-Earhart era laid a foundation that has stood for over almost a half a century. Without those teams there is no dome...no championship room....no move to Division I. The teams of the 1980s and early 1990s continued to build on the championship tradition....the 2006 team played their part by winning the first Bison Division I conference championship. This team, the 2007 Bison, have accomplished many things, such as wins over Central Michigan and a win over Minnesota. However, do you think those teams would've been scheduled if the 2006 team got stomped by Ball State and the U of M? Each team plays its part and gives something back to the tradition at NDSU. I'm sure if you were to ask this Bison team how they want to be remembered, they'd be satisfied with a #1 ranking, a GWC championship, and their pictures in the championship room. The men on this team aren't much for pomp, ceremony, and putting themselves above other Bison players and other Bison teams. That's why NDSU has been able to establish, and continue, a tradition of excellence matched by few other programs.

TheDoctor
11-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Certainly this team has given Bison fans some great memories from this year, I will not dispute that. However, I don't agree with the statement that they've given up five years of their lives and didn't have the chance to compete for a championship, therefore we should go out of our way to commemorate this single team. There is not one Bison player or one Bison team that has been, or will be, more important than the next....the HERD doesn't work that way. Everyone who has ever put on the Bison jersey has sacrificed themselves in some way for a greater cause. The teams from the Mudra-Earhart era laid a foundation that has stood for over almost a half a century. Without those teams there is no dome...no championship room....no move to Division I. The teams of the 1980s and early 1990s continued to build on the championship tradition....the 2006 team played their part by winning the first Bison Division I conference championship. This team, the 2007 Bison, have accomplished many things, such as wins over Central Michigan and a win over Minnesota. However, do you think those teams would've been scheduled if the 2006 team got stomped by Ball State and the U of M? Each team plays its part and gives something back to the tradition at NDSU. I'm sure if you were to ask this Bison team how they want to be remembered, they'd be satisfied with a #1 ranking, a GWC championship, and their pictures in the championship room. The men on this team aren't much for pomp, ceremony, and putting themselves above other Bison players and other Bison teams. That's why NDSU has been able to establish, and continue, a tradition of excellence matched by few other programs.

Correct! Without them there is no move. They not only helped move us to where we are today, but at the conclusion of every regular season had an opportunity to prove themselves in the playoffs. When we decided to move we knew there was going to be 5 years of pergatory. These boys like Mays, Walker, Safe, Drago, etc. NEVER had a chance to do that like the others you mentioned. If they go undefeated, they can have something to comemorate them similar to the fact that they should have a conference chamionship/undefeated ring. ;)

56BISON73
11-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Nobody could have said it better!!!!! PL

THEsocalledfan
11-09-2007, 02:34 AM

The problem with this assessment is it is minimizing the accomplishment. If they go UNDEFEATED (PL, this is what I have said the whole time), it is as big as any of their national titles. So why a banner would not be hung is beyond me.

SUfan23
11-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Going undefeated would be a remarkable accomplishment. I certainly hope this team is able to run the table and provide another chapter to the rich history that is NDSU Football. However, I disagree that an undefeated season is the same as a national championship. Don't get me wrong. This team has proven they can play with anybody in the country...hands down. However, an undefeated season is not the same as a championship. If the Bison women's bball team or men's bball team goes undefeated, is that the same as a championship? Can we proclaim they are the best in the country?
Undefeated seasons are very special....they do not happen often....and they are a testament to the caliber of team that produced that many wins without being defeated. However, a championship is a championship....you've beaten the best of the best in a playoff, and you have EARNED the TERM, you are the undisputed best. It's unfortunate this team cannot play for a title, because chances are they'd bring home #9!

THEsocalledfan
11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Going undefeated would be a remarkable accomplishment. I certainly hope this team is able to run the table and provide another chapter to the rich history that is NDSU Football. However, I disagree that an undefeated season is the same as a national championship. Don't get me wrong. This team has proven they can play with anybody in the country...hands down. However, an undefeated season is not the same as a championship. If the Bison women's bball team or men's bball team goes undefeated, is that the same as a championship? Can we proclaim they are the best in the country?
Undefeated seasons are very special....they do not happen often....and they are a testament to the caliber of team that produced that many wins without being defeated. However, a championship is a championship....you've beaten the best of the best in a playoff, and you have EARNED the TERM, you are the undisputed best. It's unfortunate this team cannot play for a title, because chances are they'd bring home #9!

I still completely disagree. This would not happen in other sports so I don't even think that is even relavent. It is only an issue for one reason here:
The NCAA is not giving them a chance to prove they are the best on the field. Due to that, in my mind, it is as big and likely bigger than any of the D2 titles. I am very proud of our heritage, however, not putting them on at least that plain is downright shameful. This season will then quickly be forgotten as time marches on. I will shut up about this if they lose a game.

Let's be real here; undefeated, ranked #1 in the country, and beating 2 FBS teams including one who may be in a bowl (who we crushed on their home field) and another in the Big 10. This is not as big as a D2 national title? You have got to be kidding me. I don't know how that could even be said with a straight face.

BisonAccountant44
11-09-2007, 04:37 PM
What about some sort of plaque or engraved marble that sits at the end of the hallway right before the helmet. It could say something like 2007 11-0 "play for us." Meaning bring home the national championship. It would be somthing each player touched on their way to the field. I guess the reason these young men are so special is that they had no post season to play for. The Great West title and Dakota marker are nice but they don't bring you to Fargo to play for the Bison. These Men played for each other, their coach, their fans and their love of the game. They will not be special for going 11-0, they will be special as they have layed the foundation for future DI success by putting a greater cause (Bison Football) in front of personal accomplishments (National championships and post season play). IMHO, that is why they deserve special recognition.

What about something similar to this, but instead of recognizing only the '07 team it commemorates all of the teams/players of the transition, or if there isn't anything like this already something for all previous Bison teams with a mention of the transition period?

Bison06
11-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I think some of us are missing the point here. They chose the school that had great tradition and foundation laid by the teams from the past KNOWING they were not able to play in 1 post season game no matter how great of a team they had. I would be arguing in favor of honoring them even if they were 0-11. The point that they had an amazing run here at NDSU is irrelevant, it's the fact that they picked our school over the rest knowing full well they could only accomplish a limited amount. For that, they need to be honored in some way.

TransAmBison
11-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Let's be real here; undefeated, ranked #1 in the country, and beating 2 FBS teams including one who may be in a bowl (who we crushed on their home field) and another in the Big 10. This is not as big as a D2 national title? You have got to be kidding me. I don't know how that could even be said with a straight face.
If you separate those three things I would see it different, but the combination of the three makes it huge in my book. Last year was unbelievable. This year the bar was raised. Now if only we could have this years team battle it out with the '86 team and '90 team for overall supremacy!!!!

THEsocalledfan
11-09-2007, 08:34 PM
If you separate those three things I would see it different, but the combination of the three makes it huge in my book. Last year was unbelievable. This year the bar was raised. Now if only we could have this years team battle it out with the '86 team and '90 team for overall supremacy!!!!

Exactly! This is my point! I have only been saying this if they go undefeated realizing the schedule they had. This team should be put on the same pedestal as the '90 and '86 teams if this happens. This could all be irrelevant if they don't take care of business these last two games.

bisonlax44
11-09-2007, 09:55 PM

You see... there is this thing in bowl division called the BCS and it decides who plays for a championship. Even if you win that game, you aren't guaranteed the championship title. So no, you don't have to beat the best of the best in a playoff, and no, it does not make you the undisputed best. No one team could ever play every other undefeated team so there will always be speculation.

This team is great. It is unfortunate they will not be given the chance to prove it. When they take care of business these next two weeks, they will forever be champions in my (and many other people's) mind