PDA

View Full Version : Just some questions

twowheels
11-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Just some questions, (not criticism), to throw out for discussion.

With Bohl’s background being Defensive Coordinator for the Corn huskers, why is it that the offense remains deep and strong from year to year yet the defensive line generally needs to have holes filled each year?

Knowing that NDSU is trying to make a national statement:
wouldn’t the statement have been made louder by putting in our second string earlier in the game and not use our first string to run up the score?
With the “chest pounding” do we risk difficult relations with a conference we are about to enter?

Why didn’t Leaking play the second half, this being his last home game?

Why wasn’t each senior taken out one at a time with each being recognized in the same manner of Mays and Walker? (The Safes, Wagners, and Leakings, (Majeski when suited), are a huge part of what makes the Walkers successful. Jackson, Ball, Paramo & Tabatabal all helped with defense. It was said how they stepped up when Mays couldn't play.)

I am not a coach but it has been said by Coach Bohl that you get better with actual game time. When games afford the opportunity, (because of the score), why are not all of the backups rotated in to received the much needed experience and to feel as a contributing part of this team?

Trim
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought Walker came out with some other Seniors, it just took him longer to get out of the huddle. Anyone else notice?

X-Factor
11-05-2007, 07:13 PM
defensive line is a harder position to recruit. Heck, most BCS teams have a hard time recruiting there.

As far as pulling the starters earlier, I completely disagree with it. Bohl has it right. Our starters need to stay in until the other team doesn't have enough possessions to even possibly win. I'm sure you have seen the comeback highlights on TV before. TT/Minnesota for an example. Teams can all of a sudden get hot and the last thing we need is to have our second and 3rd stringers out there when that happens. Even though the Bison are rolling these teams we are playing are very good and we must give them the proper respect.

Civil06
11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
When games afford the opportunity, (because of the score), why are not all of the backups rotated in to received the much needed experience and to feel as a contributing part of this team?

Does anybody else remember that we were only up 40-28 in the third quarter when out defense came up with a big stop. I feel the starters were taken out at, if not before, the appropriate time.

onbison09
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Starters were taken out at the right time IMO. I think each senior should have gotten his due but whatever. I would also like to see the D come out better on the first series in games.

missingnumber7
11-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Name Recognition. Both Mays and Walker have been reasons, if not the two, that we have been successful for 3 years strait.

Scooter1
11-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Just some questions, (not criticism), to throw out for discussion.

With Bohl’s background being Defensive Coordinator for the Corn huskers, why is it that the offense remains deep and strong from year to year yet the defensive line generally needs to have holes filled each year?

Knowing that NDSU is trying to make a national statement:
wouldn’t the statement have been made louder by putting in our second string earlier in the game and not use our first string to run up the score?
With the “chest pounding” do we risk difficult relations with a conference we are about to enter?

Why didn’t Leaking play the second half, this being his last home game?

Why wasn’t each senior taken out one at a time with each being recognized in the same manner of Mays and Walker? (The Safes, Wagners, and Leakings, (Majeski when suited), are a huge part of what makes the Walkers successful. Jackson, Ball, Paramo & Tabatabal all helped with defense. It was said how they stepped up when Mays couldn't play.)

I am not a coach but it has been said by Coach Bohl that you get better with actual game time. When games afford the opportunity, (because of the score), why are not all of the backups rotated in to received the much needed experience and to feel as a contributing part of this team?

In regards to the defensive lineman aspect, I think that you are going to find that our young men that we have in the wings are going to be pretty good. But, generally, it good defensive lineman are harder to find than offensive linemen. A lot of teams have this problem in the FCS level. You see quite a few JUCO and D1 transfers thoughout the league.

In regards to running up the score on teams, if you look at the stats for this season you will find that in fact the Bison have not run up the score in the fourth quarter. So, I really don't know what you are talking about. With the exception of Walker playing into the fourth quarter, the back ups at our wide recievers, runningbacks defensive lineman, linebackers, and tight ends are seeing good playing time.

Maybe the opponents need to get better players and the score wouldn't look so one sided. (lighten up, I'm kidding);)

RodentiaX
11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I think you pull your starters only when the other team has thrown in the towel. If your opponent still thinks they can win, and are still trying to win, it isn't running up the score.

bison mom
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Regarding the defensive line, in 2003 when there was a change in the coaching staff, Coach Perles had done a fabulous job with the players he had on the O line and has continued to build that line. Coach Jeff McInery came in and cleared out the d line and brought in Jucos. He left and and now they have to continue to build the line. Just goes to show again how great of a job Coach Perles is doing and glad that McInery is gone!

Gully
11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
NDSU has not run up the score, as somebody else noted, our scoring drops in the 4th quarter and, trust me, it's not because the defenses get better after having Safe and company beat on them for 3 quarters.

Kermit
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM

With young players coming into the program like Matthew Gratzek and Coulter Boyer, I don't think the defensive line will be a perennial concern much longer.

Bison bison
11-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Gratzek has been great.