PDA

View Full Version : Gateway name change??

tjbison
11-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Was just reading this on the MVC message board, sounds like its a high possibility sooner than later. I wouldn't mind being an "associate" of the Missouri Valley Conference:nod:

http://www.valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=5532

onbison09
11-05-2007, 03:17 AM
That would be pretty cool. I think we might get more respect.

Gully
11-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Long term wouldn't this help us get into the Valley for BB?

tcbison
11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Long term wouldn't this help us get into the Valley for BB?

You would think so. At a minimum, I think it should help for NDSU playing OOC games with the MVC teams.

NDSUstudent
11-05-2007, 04:03 PM
This would definitely help with gettting an all-sports invite but our basketball program still has a ways to go.

TheBisonator
11-05-2007, 10:29 PM
This would definitely help with gettting an all-sports invite but our basketball program still has a ways to go.

We need that new arena before we move to The Valley.

Gully
11-06-2007, 01:20 AM
I think we're committed to the Summit for X years right? Does anybody remember how many years and/or what the penalty would be for leaving?

Nothing wrong with the Summit but the Valley would be sweet.

Hammersmith
11-06-2007, 01:54 AM
I think we're committed to the Summit for X years right? Does anybody remember how many years and/or what the penalty would be for leaving?

Nothing wrong with the Summit but the Valley would be sweet.

8 years with a $500,000 buyout, I think. I can't find confirmation, but I seem to remember the money part of deal was the same as the Gateway agreement. If it's not $500K, it's $250K. Either way, if the MVC came a calling, NDSU would find the cash. The MBB tournament payout alone would pay for it in a couple of years.

56BISON73
11-06-2007, 02:37 AM
8 years with a $500,000 buyout, I think. I can't find confirmation, but I seem to remember the money part of deal was the same as the Gateway agreement. If it's not $500K, it's $250K. Either way, if the MVC came a calling, NDSU would find the cash. The MBB tournament payout alone would pay for it in a couple of years.

Hammer I think you are correct. PL

Gully
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks Hammer...I agree, I think that type of money could be found if a move to the Valley was possible.

Greenie
12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
The Missouri Valley's main conference competitor is the Colonial (CAA) for top-notch mid-major BBall and top-notch FCS football. The CAA did a similar name switch for football this season. The Valley name can be used to leverage its basketball-earned clout to raise its football profile.

If the Valley ever decided to move to FBS, they could push for a nice spot in the conference pecking order. BCS conferences > Mountain West > Valley=WAC=CUSA=MAC > Sun Belt. If they ever want to move to FBS, you better believe that including NDSU into the 'entire' conference will be part of discussion. NDSU's FB dollars and success would be very attractive to help build a national reputation.

I think there is a good chance the Bison will never play a Gateway football game as a conference member. Don't be too surprised to see big 'VALLEY' logos on the FargoDome turf next fall.

sambini
12-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Thanks Greenie for your insight. Cadilac just made some new Gateway banners for the locker room.

tjbison
01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Anybody heard anymore on this subject lately??

Hammersmith
01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Anybody heard anymore on this subject lately??

I don't think we'll know anything until the next set of Gateway and MVC meetings. Sometime in late Feburary, right? (During the MVC BB tournament?)

Personally, I think it will pass as long as both conferences remain separate and just share the same name. It sounds like the MVC presidents don't want the non-MVC Gateway schools to be affiliate members. I expect the name change will be to the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

tjbison
04-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Sounding pretty confident about this happening on valleytalk!:nod:

http://www.valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=6742

TheBisonator
04-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Sounding pretty confident about this happening on valleytalk!:nod:

http://www.valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=6742

At least the NDSU campus computers I use can't get into ValleyTalk. Is it the campus computers I use, or is it the site's server??

tjbison
04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
its worked for me!

Paulie
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a connection, MVC bid for full membership guaranteed...

Tatanka
04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/J2thepxtreme/1206550903372.gif

OK, I'll bite. What?

Bisonguy
04-07-2008, 09:58 PM

You're nearly a week late for an April Fool's joke. ;)

TheBisonator
04-08-2008, 12:45 AM

Whooz-a-jigga-whaaaa??

Greenie
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Is that why the Summit League logos were so small on the BSA basketball floor this past season?

roadwarrior
04-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Is that why the Summit League logos were so small on the BSA basketball floor this past season?

This would really be a problem for IUPUI. They would have to tape over the summit logos in addition to the tape they already have over the mid-con logos!

Tatanka
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/1204671100668tc3.jpg

*Picture reposted. Given the circumstances, I thought you'd be OK with it.

TransAmBison
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/1204671100668tc3.jpg

*Picture reposted. Given the circumstances, I thought you'd be OK with it.
http://www.csc-media.com/Signs/Reposts/stop%20reposts.jpg

Tatanka
04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.csc-media.com/Signs/Reposts/stop%20reposts.jpg
Meh. I'm allergic to cats. Go ahead.

UTH
04-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Meh. I'm allergic to cats. Go ahead.

I propose a compromise. Wash out the allergins and THEN shoot it.*

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Kittycatbath.gif**

*that is, unless you want to save it for scientific experiments
**definitely NOT posted for entertainment value, but for demonstrative purposes only:innocent:

onbison09
04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
I propose a compromise. Wash out the allergins and THEN shoot it.*

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Kittycatbath.gif**

*that is, unless you want to save it for scientific experiments

**definitely NOT posted for entertainment value, but for demonstrative purposes only:innocent:

Is that real?

Bisonguy
04-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Why use some fancy machine to wash a cat when you can just use the dishwasher? :confused:

UTH
04-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Why use some fancy machine to wash a cat when you can just use the dishwasher? :confused:

Dishwashers don't have windows :D

NorCalJack
06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
OK, back on topic. According to this blog (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=69144e41448a46579a2772abd68f472c&plckPersonaPage=PersonaBlog&sid=sitelife.argusleader.com), the Gateway Conference will vote this Friday to decide if the name will be change to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. It is mentioned under the Tuesday Tidbits article for 6/3/08.

Go State!!!
Go Jacks!!!

Greenie
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Gateway name change article today in the Forum
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=203931

The Gateway presidents will gather first and presidents of the Gateway and Missouri Valley are scheduled for a joint meeting later in the day.

Because of its first-year status, NDSU President Joe Chapman is taking a wait-and-see approach.

“He’ll listen to the pros and cons from the members of the conference that have been in it longer than NDSU,” said NDSU spokeswoman Najla Amundson. “Based on that, he’ll make a thoughtful decision.”

One correction from Kolpack's article: Youngstown State is in the Horizon League not Ohio Valley for its other sports. I'm getting tired of him making mistakes with details. It makes him, the Forum, and (to a lesser extent) the community look bad.

Greenie
06-05-2008, 06:29 PM
From the article it looks like the Missouri Valley schools will vote yes (Southern Illinois and Missouri State look for sure). If this is true, then there is already enough votes (5 of 9 are from the MVC). I think NDSU and SDSU will vote the same way and will allign with the MVC schools (in hopes to eventually join their all-sports league).

Gateway Football Conference
Missouri Valley Schools: Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Northern Iowa
Summit League Schools: North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Western Illinois
Horizon League School: Youngstown State

Name change positives: (1) Complete allignment with Missouri Valley Conference, (2) Capitalizing on the MVC name which is known nation-wide because of their success in men's basketball, (3) May open door for NDSU and SDSU for full membership into the MVC, and this would likely lead to more conferences modifying membership (4) future, future, future, 'potential' for conversion to a FBS conference

Name change negative: Summit and Horizon Leagues may dislike their schools playing under the name of another all-sport conference (MVC). This could strain relationships between schools and their leagues. Non-MVC Gateway schools may favor a neutral name since the football league is a combination of multi-sport conferences.

BisonAccountant44
06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
From the article it looks like the Missouri Valley schools will vote yes (Southern Illinois and Missouri State look for sure). If this is true, then there is already enough votes (5 of 9 are from the MVC). I think NDSU and SDSU will vote the same way and will allign with the MVC schools (in hopes to eventually join their all-sports league).

Gateway Football Conference
Missouri Valley Schools: Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Northern Iowa
Summit League Schools: North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Western Illinois
Horizon League School: Youngstown State

Name change positives: (1) Complete allignment with Missouri Valley Conference, (2) Capitalizing on the MVC name which is known nation-wide because of their success in men's basketball, (3) May open door for NDSU and SDSU for full membership into the MVC, and this would likely lead to more conferences modifying membership (4) future, future, future, 'potential' for conversion to a FBS conference

Name change negative: Summit and Horizon Leagues may dislike their schools playing under the name of another all-sport conference (MVC). This could strain relationships between schools and their leagues. Non-MVC Gateway schools may favor a neutral name since the football league is a combination of multi-sport conferences.

What about non-football MVC schools? What are the odds that the GFC votes to adopt the name, and the rest of the MVC doesn't want us let us use their name? Does the Gateway still change their name to something else, or will it be MVC or nothing?

Greenie
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
From what I understand it will either be Missouri Valley Football Conference or remain the Gateway. I don't really know if the non-Gateway MVC schools are voting? It would be interesting to know how the non-football schools (Bradley, Evansville, Creighton, Wichita State) and the non-scholarship-football school (Drake) feel about this issue.

This issue is about more than a name change. It is about the future of the MVC and the future of the non-MVC schools that play in the Gateway. This is a BIG story if the name is changed. It might not seem real big on Friday, but it could in the future. It could lead to membership change in the MVC which would cause domino effects throughout the Summit, Horizon, Independents, and Great West Football.

Paulie
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Does LakesBison have a contact hanging around the elevators at the hotel listening in on conversations this time around?

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Does LakesBison have a contact hanging around the elevators at the hotel listening in on conversations this time around?

Lakes is omnipotent. If he wants to know something, he will know it.

56BISON73
06-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Lakes is omnipotent. If he wants to know something, he will know it.

Whether its factual or not.:D PL

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 08:54 PM
You only exist because Lakes knows it. Atlantis disappeared when Lakes forgot about it. Millions of lives were lost.

99Bison
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Done deal:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=204063&section=news

tjbison
06-06-2008, 09:54 PM
:cheers: :cheers: :bong: SWEET!!

sambini
06-07-2008, 02:37 AM
I like the logo++++

DIBISON
06-07-2008, 05:03 AM
Awesome news!! NDSU & SDSU are now associated with the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Don't underestimate a name, brand and logo!!

Gully
06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Very cool news. What do you think the chances are that we someday get into the Valley basketball converence? If so, would it be in the near future, 5 years out, etc?

Hammersmith
06-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Very cool news. What do you think the chances are that we someday get into the Valley basketball converence? If so, would it be in the near future, 5 years out, etc?

Overall, I think the chances are still quite low, but improving. I doubt there is any chance it could happen within the next 7 years, a small chance it could happen in 7-15 years, and almost anything could happen after 15 years. The next step is on Tuesday. If Mike Williams is defeated(the worse the better), the arena will almost certainly get commission approval without a needing a city-wide vote. After that, the next test will be if Chapman/Taylor/NDSU can get an acceptable amount for the naming rights. We should know the answer to that by late August, hopefully earlier. A BSA renovation that includes the basketball practice addition will also be a prerequisite to MVC consideration, as well as continued improvement in coaching salaries and attendance. That's the stuff NDSU can completely control.

Then there's the stuff under partial NDSU control. That consists mainly of on-court performance. I doubt the MVC would take a hard look at NDSU without at least three MBB tournament appearances and at least one win. In fact, I'm betting a sweet sixteen appearance will be required to really get the non-football schools' attention. NDSU's MBB RPI will have to stay between 100-150 most of the time, with brief stints below 100.

The worst is the stuff that's completely outside NDSU's control. It's my belief that if NDSU is to make a run at MVC membership, SDSU absolutely must be right there beside us. They have, or will have, good facilities(Frost will need some minor work), but their MBB team has a long way to go. They will also need to find a way to continue and increase their football success, including attendance. It would also help if Wichita State could add football and if Indiana State could completely turn their program around.

There are tons of other things that need to happen, but most are years away. All NDSU(us included) can do is the stuff within our control. For fans, that means showing up to the games, donating to Team Makers and the building funds, and trying to turn your friends into Bison fans. Joe, Gene, Craig, Saul, Carolyn, and Luck will have to take care of the rest.

tjbison
06-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Overall, I think the chances are still quite low, but improving. I doubt there is any chance it could happen within the next 7 years, a small chance it could happen in 7-15 years, and almost anything could happen after 15 years. The next step is on Tuesday. If Mike Williams is defeated(the worse the better), the arena will almost certainly get commission approval without a needing a city-wide vote. After that, the next test will be if Chapman/Taylor/NDSU can get an acceptable amount for the naming rights. We should know the answer to that by late August, hopefully earlier. A BSA renovation that includes the basketball practice addition will also be a prerequisite to MVC consideration, as well as continued improvement in coaching salaries and attendance. That's the stuff NDSU can completely control.

Then there's the stuff under partial NDSU control. That consists mainly of on-court performance. I doubt the MVC would take a hard look at NDSU without at least three MBB tournament appearances and at least one win. In fact, I'm betting a sweet sixteen appearance will be required to really get the non-football schools' attention. NDSU's MBB RPI will have to stay between 100-150 most of the time, with brief stints below 100.

The worst is the stuff that's completely outside NDSU's control. It's my belief that if NDSU is to make a run at MVC membership, SDSU absolutely must be right there beside us. They have, or will have, good facilities(Frost will need some minor work), but their MBB team has a long way to go. They will also need to find a way to continue and increase their football success, including attendance. It would also help if Wichita State could add football and if Indiana State could completely turn their program around.

There are tons of other things that need to happen, but most are years away. All NDSU(us included) can do is the stuff within our control. For fans, that means showing up to the games, donating to Team Makers and the building funds, and trying to turn your friends into Bison fans. Joe, Gene, Craig, Saul, Carolyn, and Luck will have to take care of the rest.

I agree with you 100%, but there is also many things that could cause an all MVC invite earlier than we would think, not going to get into a big speel but with all the possible conference changes being entertained in the next 5 years, its going to make the commish from these want to secure stability, by adding teams, Indiana St. made big steps to improve their FB program this offseason with a new Head Coach and some pretty good recruits he brought in, also put some money into New uniforms and color schemes so thats a bonus, Wichita St. probably has about the same chance of bringing back football as we do of adding Hockey, but I could be wrong and maybe there have been behind the scene talks that the name change to the MVFC will try to get them back, as Youngstown St. would most likely bolt if they added another team.

Gully
06-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Do all of the existing MVC programs have a sweet sixteen appearance?

Hammersmith
06-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Do all of the existing MVC programs have a sweet sixteen appearance?

No. As far as I can tell, seven of the ten MVC schools have had S16 appearances; four of them in the last decade. Within the last eleven years, every current MVC member has made the tourney, for a total of 23 slots. Within that span, only Drake, Evensville and Northern Iowa haven't won at least one game. Bradley, Missouri State, Southern Illinois and Wichita State all made it to the S16, but none advanced further. Historically, Bradley, Drake, Indiana State and Wichita State all have made Final Four appearances, with Bradley and ISU(with Larry Bird) making it to the championship(both lost).

Gully
06-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Great info Hammer. That really puts that conference in perspective. They've definetly had some success. Let's just hope that someday....