PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly Analysis - What do you think?

CaBisonFan
11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Any thoughts on the kind of team that we'll be facing on Saturday in SLO?

This team is a bit of a mystery to me.

I'll never forget the Cal Poly announcers saying two years ago how vastly superior their athletes were.

Please forgive me if I'm a little more hyper than usual this week. I actually get to see the Bison in person. whoa

Valium might be needed.

tjbison
11-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Any thoughts on the kind of team that we'll be facing on Saturday in SLO?

This team is a bit of a mystery to me.

I'll never forget the Cal Poly announcers saying two years ago how vastly superior their athletes were.

Please forgive me if I'm a little more hyper than usual this week. I actually get to see the Bison in person. whoa

Valium might be needed.

I'm nervous:( this game will be hostile, the last time were in SLO it was not a good thing!

90BISON
11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
What happened to Cal Poly against SUU? Looked like they barely squeaked out a win. If Cal Poly has a game against the Bison like that next weekend, the score will be similar to last year at the FFD. I just got done reading the game summary and it sounded like SUU actually had a couple chances to win the game:smh: I personally think we are going to crush them:nod: That's not homer speak. After what was supposed to be another, could go either way game, at the FFD yesterday (wait while I pick myself up off the floor after that over the top sarcasm) unless they can find some way to completely stop our offense, they have no chance whatsoever, not against this coaching staff and not against the team we currently put on the field, period.

90BISON
11-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Sorry if I was kind of sandbagging in my previous post.:D :D :D :D

semobison
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Cal Poly is going to be tough at home! They always are! 2005, Cal Poly 20, SUU 10, Cal Poly 37, NDSU 6....This year they beat UCD 63-28. I hope you are right 90BISON, but I think it will be a real battle!

90BISON
11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Cal Poly is going to be tough at home! They always are! 2005, Cal Poly 20, SUU 10, Cal Poly 37, NDSU 6....This year they beat UCD 63-28. I hope you are right 90BISON, but I think it will be a real battle!

I hope I'm right too:hide: You forgot last year's score in Fargo though 51-14? This is not the 2005 team, especially offensively. Defensively, well that's a different story. We seem to have the bend but don't break philosophy, which does win games but tends to let teams hang around longer than necessary. I am very much a realist, but even when this team let UM score in 3 plays or this week letting Illinois State march it right down the field on their opening drive, I wasn't too concerned about it. I knew they would have to stop our offense on at least 1/2 our drives to even have a chance of keeping it close. Maybe Cal Poly is a much better team at home, they certainly don't seem to be on the road. I was quite frankly shocked at the final score last year in the dome, didn't ever expect to blow those guys off the field. Maybe it will be motivation for this year's game for them?

Swaghook
11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I see a high scoring shootout with CP. Hopefully we come out on top.

X-Factor
11-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Cal Poly has been able to put up a lot of points against most teams because very few teams know how to deal with Barden. Barden is the catalyst that keeps that offense going and without him they would be dead in the water against any team with half a pulse. Last year NDSU figured out how to deal with him with an effective double coverage. I think he had 1 catch for 40 yards in that game. The end result was a 3 and out almost every time CP had possession. On the other side of the ball, the beat down was even worse as all of our reserve RB's were grinding away at 8-9 yards a carry even with a 2nd string offensive line.

I expect this year's game to be closer even though Cal Poly's defense is worse and our offense is better. It is in SLO, and I don't think our defense matches up quite as well with their offense as it did last year. In order to contain Barden, the Bison will have to put huge pressure on the QB with the front four. He is a great WR, but doesn't run the best routes so he will almost always go deep. Dalley is a much better QB than last year's Matt Brenan and the pressure hasn't been quite the same on the D-line for NDSU this year so chances are Barden will hook up a few times on those long bombs even with a double coverage.

CP D-line is undersized and will be pushed downfield often by NDSU's O-line. That will give Roehl the chance to break into the secondary often and rack up 250-300 yards rushing, maybe more. Blincoe and Paschall will get their yards as well. Cal Poly has already given up over 200 yards to a RB twice this year. SDSU's Konig ran for 259 and the RB from Idaho hit 217.

Prediction:

NDSU 60 Cal Poly SLO 31

As a side note, Illinois States Rice was the first RB to rush for more than 100 yards against the Bison since 10/19/05 when the Bison lost 9-0 to SIU.

onbison09
11-05-2007, 01:11 AM
The Poly game or any game in Cali for that matter always makes me nervous. Poly game 2 years ago. :hide: :hide: Davis first half. :hide: :hide: But I think we'll be ready to play.

SloStang
11-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Cal Poly has been able to put up a lot of points against most teams because very few teams know how to deal with Barden. Barden is the catalyst that keeps that offense going and without him they would be dead in the water against any team with half a pulse. Last year NDSU figured out how to deal with him with an effective double coverage. I think he had 1 catch for 40 yards in that game. The end result was a 3 and out almost every time CP had possession. On the other side of the ball, the beat down was even worse as all of our reserve RB's were grinding away at 8-9 yards a carry even with a 2nd string offensive line.

I expect this year's game to be closer even though Cal Poly's defense is worse and our offense is better. It is in SLO, and I don't think our defense matches up quite as well with their offense as it did last year. In order to contain Barden, the Bison will have to put huge pressure on the QB with the front four. He is a great WR, but doesn't run the best routes so he will almost always go deep. Dalley is a much better QB than last year's Matt Brenan and the pressure hasn't been quite the same on the D-line for NDSU this year so chances are Barden will hook up a few times on those long bombs even with a double coverage.

CP D-line is undersized and will be pushed downfield often by NDSU's O-line. That will give Roehl the chance to break into the secondary often and rack up 250-300 yards rushing, maybe more. Blincoe and Paschall will get their yards as well. Cal Poly has already given up over 200 yards to a RB twice this year. SDSU's Konig ran for 259 and the RB from Idaho hit 217.

Prediction:

NDSU 60 Cal Poly SLO 31

As a side note, Illinois States Rice was the first RB to rush for more than 100 yards against the Bison since 10/19/05 when the Bison lost 9-0 to SIU.

I agree that the Bison offense will be too much for Cal Poly's defense to handle and it could get ugly on that side of the ball.

What I do not agree with is that Cal Poly's offense is only as good as Barden is. Last year he was the only threat in the passing game because the only pass Brennan could throw was a jump ball to Barden. This year Dally can throw not only to Barden, but also Tolver and the RB's coming out of the backfield. Cal Poly also has four threats to run the ball on the field at one time with the QB (Dally), 2 RBs (Noble, Mole or Grayson) and a FB (Hall or Yocum). All five of the RBs are averaging over 5 yards a carry. Dally is averaging about 4, but that would be higher if you did not counts sacks. Cal Poly is averaging 271 yards rushing to go with 233 yards of passing each game. If a team decides to shut down Barden by double teaming him, it opens up the running game. If they bring up the safety to support the run, Barden can beat almost any single coverage.

Cal Poly will score points on the Bison this year, I am just afraid it will not be able to keep pace with the Bison's offense. I expect a score like 49-35 in favor of the Bison.

X-Factor
11-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I agree that the Bison offense will be too much for Cal Poly's defense to handle and it could get ugly on that side of the ball.

What I do not agree with is that Cal Poly's offense is only as good as Barden is. Last year he was the only threat in the passing game because the only pass Brennan could throw was a jump ball to Barden. This year Dally can throw not only to Barden, but also Tolver and the RB's coming out of the backfield. Cal Poly also has four threats to run the ball on the field at one time with the QB (Dally), 2 RBs (Noble, Mole or Grayson) and a FB (Hall or Yocum). All five of the RBs are averaging over 5 yards a carry. Dally is averaging about 4, but that would be higher if you did not counts sacks. Cal Poly is averaging 271 yards rushing to go with 233 yards of passing each game. If a team decides to shut down Barden by double teaming him, it opens up the running game. If they bring up the safety to support the run, Barden can beat almost any single coverage.

Cal Poly will score points on the Bison this year, I am just afraid it will not be able to keep pace with the Bison's offense. I expect a score like 49-35 in favor of the Bison.

This is exactly why Barden is such a big deal to the Cal Poly offense. Even when he isn't showing up on the stats sheet he is making a huge impact because he demands so much attention from the defense. He opens things up for guys like Tolver and especially the running game. He is one player that Cal Poly can not afford to lose to an injury and I hope it never happens. Great player.

90BISON
11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
This is exactly why Barden is such a big deal to the Cal Poly offense. Even when he isn't showing up on the stats sheet he is making a huge impact because he demands so much attention from the defense. He opens things up for guys like Tolver and especially the running game. He is one player that Cal Poly can not afford to lose to an injury and I hope it never happens. Great player.

Not even a fairly minor, partial game ending injury (say 2nd half) via getting introduced to Joe Mays on a crossing route.;)

X-Factor
11-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Not even a fairly minor, partial game ending injury (say 2nd half) via getting introduced to Joe Mays on a crossing route.;)

yeah, ok if Joe makes him sit the bench for most of the game i'm down for that. :p I just don't want to see Joe destroy the kid like he did to Spaeth. ;)

SloStang
11-05-2007, 11:13 PM

I agree that he is the MVP of the offense, but running a close second is QB Jonathan Dally. He has thrown 24 touchdown to only one interception this year and he is running the triple option extremely well. Of course throwing to Ramses Barden helps, but he has helped Ramses Barden number also. Last year with Brennan throwing to him, Ramses had 42 receptions for 824 yards and 5 TDs in 11 games. This year through nine games he 52 receptions for 1371 yards and 16 touchdowns. Last year he averaged 19.6 yards per reception. This year he is averaging an amazing 26.4 yards a reception because Dally can do more than throw a jump ball to him.

I am looking forward to a great weekend of football.

Herd
11-06-2007, 12:03 AM
I think it will be a battle for 1 Qtr . . . then too much Roehl, too much size, too much Walker, and too much Bison Momentum. I look for at 20+ point win. These guys are not in the mood to lose to Poly.

The closer game will be a week later in Brookings. Write it down.

Scooter1
11-08-2007, 08:05 PM
In predictiong a score for this game, you need to look at the types of teams that have beaten Cal Poly this year.

Texas State: Big offensive line (about 294 ave) with a good running game (351 vs CP)

Idaho : Big offensive line (300 ave) running game (235 vs CP)

SDSU : Good offensive line (284 ave) good running game (312 vs CP)

So, NDSU? Big offensive line (300 or so) Great running game. This does not look good for Cal Poly. I know that a lot of you think that the fact that this is in California makes a difference, but it won't. The big reason why is if you look at the defense of Cal Poly the first thing that catches your eye is how undersized they are on the defensive line. In the past CP had one or two guys on the defensive line that could clog up the line so that the linebackers could make plays. This is not the case of the 2007 CP team. In fact, the CP defense is noticably undersized, only 1 starter over 250 pounds last week. This Bison offensive line will be the best that Cal Poly will see all year. Look for a big day from Tyler Roehl and Blincoe.

NDSU 45 Cal poly 24

tcbison
11-08-2007, 08:13 PM
In predictiong a score for this game, you need to look at the types of teams that have beaten Cal Poly this year.

Texas State: Big offensive line (about 294 ave) with a good running game (351 vs CP)

So, NDSU? Big offensive line (300 or so) Great running game. This does not look good for Cal Poly. I know that a lot of you think that the fact that this is in California makes a difference, but it won't. The big reason why is if you look at the defense of Cal Poly the first thing that catches your eye is how undersized they are on the defensive line. In the past CP had one or two guys on the defensive line that could clog up the line so that the linebackers could make plays. This is not the case of the 2007 CP team. In fact, the CP defense is noticably undersized, only 1 starter over 250 pounds last week. This Bison offensive line will be the best that Cal Poly will see all year. Look for a big day from Tyler Roehl and Blincoe.

NDSU 45 Cal poly 24

Nice analysis! NDSU could beat themselves if the offense doesn't have a good day but I don't see that happening. NDSU's defense plays pretty well when NDSU is already ahead.

UTH
11-08-2007, 08:19 PM

NDSU 45 Cal poly 24

Shudder. That's scary crazy. I like what you've done here.

NDSUstudent
11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I moved my prediction over to this thread because its where I should have posted it. I definitely agree with Scooter, Cal Poly will struggle to stop our rushing attack...

NDSU(9-0) at Cal Poly(6-3)

Why Watch: This game has huge implications all over the place. For one, this game is Cal Poly's last chance at getting a playoff bid, if they lose they won't have the needed 7 DI wins. On the other hand you have fans of bubble teams everywhere watching and hoping that the Bison can burst CP's bubble. Then you have NDSU, a team that is trying to win out and achieve a #1 regular season ranking. With four other FCS teams undefeated NDSU can't afford to drop this one. Most importantly(at least in terms of this blog), this game has huge Great West title ramifications. Cal Poly is done with a loss and with a win we could have a 3 way tie depending on how the NDSU-SDSU game plays out next week.

Why NDSU Might Win: SDSU's physical offense gave the Cal Poly defense some troubles a month or so ago running for over 300 yards. There is no doubt they had a lot of trouble with NDSU's offense in the dome last year. I think NDSU's best match-up is Tyler Roehl and those big rams up front against Cal Poly's undersized defense. I don't see Cal Poly stopping them and containing them won't be that easy either. The Bison did lose back-up running back Patrick Paschall to injury in the Illinois State game but the guy filling his shoes in Pete Blincoe, did run for 109 yards last year against CP. Defensively, NDSU's Tampa 2 scheme could also pose a few problems. Poly's QB Jonathan Dalley likes to hit the homerun pass to his receivers but his accuracy is a bit shaky. Both NDSU safeties can ball hawk so NDSU's defensive backs will have some chances to get there hands on a few passes.

Why Cal Poly Might Win: This is their last chance at getting into the playoffs, its win or spend the playoffs watching the games from their living rooms like all the other GWFC teams. The Mustangs also have a pair of receivers that are a defensive coordinators nightmare in Ramses Bardon and Tredale Tolver. Both of them are fully capable of changing the game with one play. When you combine them with a rushing attack that is 6th in the nation, you can see that NDSU will have to pick their poison in this game because stopping both is next to impossible.

Prediction: This will be a very entertaining game to watch, there are playmakers on both teams that will make you just shake your head in disbelief of what they are capable of doing. The sellout crowd in SLO will definitely be getting their money's worth and then some. I see this game being a deadlock for three quarters. Both teams will score some points but NDSU will take control in the 4th after pounding away at Cal Poly for the entire game. NDSU-41 Cal Poly 31

I also have the prediction for SDSU-SUU match-up on my Great West Blog(link below).

NDSUstudent
11-08-2007, 09:01 PM
I agree that he is the MVP of the offense, but running a close second is QB Jonathan Dally. He has thrown 24 touchdown to only one interception this year and he is running the triple option extremely well. Of course throwing to Ramses Barden helps, but he has helped Ramses Barden number also. Last year with Brennan throwing to him, Ramses had 42 receptions for 824 yards and 5 TDs in 11 games. This year through nine games he 52 receptions for 1371 yards and 16 touchdowns. Last year he averaged 19.6 yards per reception. This year he is averaging an amazing 26.4 yards a reception because Dally can do more than throw a jump ball to him.

I am looking forward to a great weekend of football.

Yeah, Dalley is a much better QB then Brennen was for them last year. I went back and looked at last year's stats and CP only completed 4 passes vs NDSU. With that said, I don't think Dalley has seen a defense as good as NDSU's.

X-Factor
11-08-2007, 09:54 PM
NDSU defense against the Cal Poly offense is going to be a very exciting matchup to watch. I want to see how NDSU defends Barden now that he has a respectable QB throwing him the ball. I doubt CP gets much done on the ground, but if they open things up with Barden a few long running plays may happen as well. The other side of the ball isn't even going to be fair with the matchups the Cal Poly defense faces. When you have NDSU offensive lineman pushing downfield 20-30 yards past the line of scrimmage that can't be good for your rush defense. This is what happened last year and CP doesn't have D-line studs like Chris White anymore or Buchannan LB Kyel Shotwell. 310lb Nate Safe against a 215lb CP end you know the outcome. Those guys will be gassed before halftime :hungry:

90BISON
11-09-2007, 12:21 AM
NDSU defense against the Cal Poly offense is going to be a very exciting matchup to watch. I want to see how NDSU defends Barden now that he has a respectable QB throwing him the ball. I doubt CP gets much done on the ground, but if they open things up with Barden a few long running plays may happen as well. The other side of the ball isn't even going to be fair with the matchups the Cal Poly defense faces. When you have NDSU offensive lineman pushing downfield 20-30 yards past the line of scrimmage that can't be good for your rush defense. This is what happened last year and CP doesn't have D-line studs like Chris White anymore or Buchannan LB Kyel Shotwell. 310lb Nate Safe against a 215lb CP end you know the outcome. Those guys will be gassed before halftime :hungry:

Not if we score in 4 or 5 play drives.;) That was the thing that killed UM is that we held the ball so long. 10 yds a play or so would be just about right. Then they would be gassed before halftime. Another opposing offense that would be best left standing on the sideline watching us march down the field.:nod: Would it be too obvious if TR were to run say 10-12 yds and then coincidentally trip on the hash mark.

X-Factor
11-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Not if we score in 4 or 5 play drives.;) That was the thing that killed UM is that we held the ball so long. 10 yds a play or so would be just about right. Then they would be gassed before halftime. Another opposing offense that would be best left standing on the sideline watching us march down the field.:nod: Would it be too obvious if TR were to run say 10-12 yds and then coincidentally trip on the hash mark.

I was wonder if that might be possible as well! I think the Bison will be hard pressed to win the time of possession battle unless the defense really steps up. CP fumbles quite a bit from what I assume would likely be the triple option "pitch", actually, I believe they have only had 1 game this year with less than 2 fumbles. Option teams are never going to play well with Humber and Maresh patrolling the outside.

90BISON
11-09-2007, 05:04 AM
I was wonder if that might be possible as well! I think the Bison will be hard pressed to win the time of possession battle unless the defense really steps up. CP fumbles quite a bit from what I assume would likely be the triple option "pitch", actually, I believe they have only had 1 game this year with less than 2 fumbles. Option teams are never going to play well with Humber and Maresh patrolling the outside.

Between Lardinois, Maresh & Humber I don't see how you are going to run an option offense realistically. With the lateral speed we have, just not seein' it. If their QB isn't perfect in his reads, the perimeter boys could have a hayday. Was just watching the replay of the UM game last night and a kid that really was impressive was Gratzek. I don't think I realized before that he was only a freshman. Wow, by the time this kid is a Jr or Sr he is going to be scary on D.:nod: :nod:

CaBisonFan
11-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Between Lardinois, Maresh & Humber I don't see how you are going to run an option offense realistically. With the lateral speed we have, just not seein' it. If their QB isn't perfect in his reads, the perimeter boys could have a hayday. Was just watching the replay of the UM game last night and a kid that really was impressive was Gratzek. I don't think I realized before that he was only a freshman. Wow, by the time this kid is a Jr or Sr he is going to be scary on D.:nod: :nod:

Can't think of his name...but the young defensive lineman from Stephen-Argyle has really come on too. He's a very quick lateral defender.

I agree with the time of possession thing. I've always felt that a quick-strike offense puts any defense behind the 8-ball. If the other team runs a spread offensive that picks away at our defense, we have trouble. Hopefully, defending the option will be a little easier than trying to stop the guy from Sam Houston State or Illinois State.

Time of possession will be the key in the last two games. Whoever has the ball longest, will likely win...or stay in the game.

90BISON
11-09-2007, 05:34 AM
Can't think of his name...but the young defensive lineman from Stephen-Argyle has really come on too. He's a very quick lateral defender.

I agree with the time of possession thing. I've always felt that a quick-strike offense puts any defense behind the 8-ball. If the other team runs a spread offensive that picks away at our defense, we have trouble. Hopefully, defending the option will be a little easier than trying to stop the guy from Sam Houston State or Illinois State.

Time of possession will be the key in the last two games. Whoever has the ball longest, will likely win...or stay in the game.

Matt Gratzek is from Argyle, according to the bison game program. (#70) Ironically our offense is really not designed to be a quick strike offense, it's just kind of happened that way, mostly because of our O-line. If their D-line is really that small and it's up to their LB & DB's to tackle TR all night, it's gonna get ugly.

bisonmike2
11-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Cal-Poly defense vs. NDSU offense - Cal-Poly has had problems handling a physical offense. Ours is the most physical they have seen this year. Nodoby shut us down and it's not going to happen against this team.

NDSU defense vs. CP Offense - I've said it before in a different thread, but CP brings nothing different to the table that we haven't seen before. And I'm not worried about homefield advantage. This team has seen it all and has not been phased. CP fans and everysportswriter bring up the last Cal-Poly trip but this team is so much different than that team.

The one thing I haven't heard much about is the CP special teams. I don't know about their kicker, punter and return guys. Anyone care to ellabote on them?

BISON Thunder
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Cal-Poly defense vs. NDSU offense - Cal-Poly has had problems handling a physical offense. Ours is the most physical they have seen this year. Nodoby shut us down and it's not going to happen against this team.

NDSU defense vs. CP Offense - I've said it before in a different thread, but CP brings nothing different to the table that we haven't seen before. And I'm not worried about homefield advantage. This team has seen it all and has not been phased. CP fans and everysportswriter bring up the last Cal-Poly trip but this team is so much different than that team.

The one thing I haven't heard much about is the CP special teams. I don't know about their kicker, punter and return guys. Anyone care to ellabote on them?

From reading CP's message board, they have had problems with special team play this year.

99Bison
11-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Yes, really looking forward to watching him progress!:nod:

bisonmike2
11-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm thinking more and more that the team that scores the most points will win the game.

Oh, and 80% of the game is 1/2 mental.

:)

NDSUstudent
11-09-2007, 05:15 PM
CSN Prediction......

No. 2 North Dakota State over No 24 Cal Poly
The Bison’s perfect season and run at the Great West title could be butting up against the powerful Mustang offense as Cal Poly has to win this game to have a chance at a Great West co-championship and a playoff berth. There are a lot of interesting wrinkles in this one: how will the Bison defense fare against the best offense they have faced all year, featuring quarterback Jonathan Dally and wideout Ramses Barden? How will the Mustang rushing defense stop Bison runningback Tyler Roehl? If the answer to that last question is similar to the answer they gave against South Dakota State runningback Cory Koenig in a 48-35 loss, it’s likely to mean the Bison get to 10-0. It will be a high-scoring, spirited matchup, but Roehl and the Bison get it done.

“Bison Beat Barden” 49, “Roehl Rolls Over Polly” 44

link....
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88862

TransAmBison
11-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm thinking more and more that the team that scores the most points will win the game.

Post of the day! Rep to you!

NDSUstudent
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Sports Network Prediction....

No. 2 North Dakota State (9-0, 2-0) at No. 24 Cal Poly (6-3, 2-1)

Cal Poly has been waiting for this game ever since losing 51-14 to North Dakota State last season. The loss - a week after a 10-9 loss at Montana - knocked the Mustangs out of playoff consideration. That game was in the Fargo Dome, but this one is within sniffing distance of the Pacific Ocean. Cal Poly ranks first nationally in total offense (504 yards), but is just seventh in scoring (38 points per game). QB Jonathan Dally is No. 1 in passing efficiency and is helped by having what many believe is the nation’s best receiver in Ramses Barden (52 catches, 26.4 average, 16 TDs). The Mustangs also have a stable of runners with James Noble, Jon Hall, Ryan Mole and others. The defense hasn't been up to Cal Poly standards and there are no Buchanan Award favorites lining up, but the Mustangs have played well enough to keep the team in most games. Cal Poly is giving up 27 points per game and has allowed 217 yards passing on average. NDSU is rolling up 42 points per game, while allowing just 21. RB Tyler Roehl has 1,252 yards and 18 TDs in eight games, including 520 yards in his past two starts. QB Steve Walker complements Roehl with 1,812 yards passing and 17 TDs. Kole Heckendorf has 40 receptions. The Bison defense has allowed only 113 yards per game on the ground, but they have some vulnerability against the pass, giving up 217 yards on average. This has been a series dominated by home teams in the past couple of years, and Cal Poly is 3-1 against the Bison since NDSU moved to FCS. Expect that trend to continue as Barden and company find a way to beat the Bison.

Cal Poly 38, North Dakota State 35

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

bisonmike2
11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
wow, NDSU as underdogs this week. Maybe that will provide the boys with some motivation. I still am not buying the their QB and WR will be enough to beat us.

90BISON
11-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I think the Bison are going to go into Poly with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder after the embarassment in 2005 out there. In a sign of good will, especially towards their groundkeeping dept, I think NDSU should foot the bill for rollerblades for all of Poly's defensive line. It will save a lot of wear & tear on their new turf from having 10 yd long divets gouged into field from their cleats. I would also like to see us go to a double tight end set with Jangula & Roehl behind Walker and keep running the same play until they scream UNCLE.:D

BlueBisonRock
11-09-2007, 09:12 PM
In a sign of good will, especially towards their groundkeeping dept, I think NDSU should foot the bill for rollerblades for all of Poly's defensive line. It will save a lot of wear & tear on their new turf from having 10 yd long divets gouged into field from their cleats. I would also like to see us go to a double tight end set with Jangula & Roehl behind Walker and keep running the same play until they scream UNCLE.:D

Now that is the true vision of smashmouth in your face physical football.

X-Factor
11-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I say we run double TE, double FB, and Roehl as the tailback :D
Who needs WR's anyway :p

Oh, and put Parsons at QB just in case we need to "sneak" a little option in there to keep the running game going.

Scooter1
11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Sports Network Prediction....

No. 2 North Dakota State (9-0, 2-0) at No. 24 Cal Poly (6-3, 2-1)

Cal Poly has been waiting for this game ever since losing 51-14 to North Dakota State last season.......blah blah blah and a bunch of filler shit.....This has been a series dominated by home teams in the past couple of years, and Cal Poly is 3-1 against the Bison since NDSU moved to FCS. Expect that trend to continue as Barden and company find a way to beat the Bison.

Cal Poly 38, North Dakota State 35

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

Translation: "Cal Poly we need you to beat these guys because we don't want ESPN coming out and making a big production that the best team in the country is not in the playoffs this year." BTW Cal Poly is 2-1 since we made the move, sportsnetwork guy.

Seriously, should be a good game...I can't wait, Cal Poly is a good program.

90BISON
11-09-2007, 10:05 PM
I say we run double TE, double FB, and Roehl as the tailback :D
Who needs WR's anyway :p

Oh, and put Parsons at QB just in case we need to "sneak" a little option in there to keep the running game going.

I like your setup even better yet.:D

Scooter1
11-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I haven't read all of this thread, has anyone mentioned anything about Shamen Washington being in at the #3 tailback for the remainder of the season. This could be an x-factor for this game. Shamen getting about 10 rushing touches...could be interresting.

X-Factor
11-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I haven't read all of this thread, has anyone mentioned anything about Shamen Washington being in at the #3 tailback for the remainder of the season. This could be an x-factor for this game. Shamen getting about 10 rushing touches...could be interresting.

I think that the most likely scenario is that Blincoe will just get more carries. Shamen is best utilized as a reverse/screen guy not a pound it up the middle or off tackle RB. We might see more reverses though :nod: We had Shamen as the #2 RB in '05 and IMO it didn't work quiet as well as I would have hoped.

02Bison
11-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Shamen hasn't seemed as quick as he was when I first saw him on the field as a Bison....am I the only one seeing it? Is the competition that much quicker than it was when we first saw Shamen in action

SloStang
11-10-2007, 02:54 AM

NDSU 45 Cal poly 24
The other thing that all those games have in common is that they were on the road. I am sure the Bison O-line will maul the Mustang's D-line, but I think that the Bison have not seen an offense like they will see this week. Should be a great game.

met1990
11-10-2007, 03:44 AM
SlotStang,

How is Chris Cogong doing this year? I know I've seen him a few time when the Eagles have played.

Scooter1
11-10-2007, 04:22 AM
The other thing that all those games have in common is that they were on the road. I am sure the Bison O-line will maul the Mustang's D-line, but I think that the Bison have not seen an offense like they will see this week. Should be a great game.

Slostang, you are right, they were on the road. You forgot to mention that you guys are outscoring your opponents 42-19 at home. Now for the bad news... it was against D2 Western Oregon, Weber St and U of Northern Colorado.

I'm not trying to say that you guys aren't going to be tough, because you are. I'm just saying that these 3 home games had a W penciled in on the schedule before the season started. NDSU will be the first and only good team you will see at home all year. You have NDSU and Iona College left.

Really, who the heck is Iona College? Lost to New Hampshire 49-21, 42-7 at the half, without Ricky Santos playing. You could put up 70 against this team.

Scooter1
11-10-2007, 05:02 AM
I think that the most likely scenario is that Blincoe will just get more carries. Shamen is best utilized as a reverse/screen guy not a pound it up the middle or off tackle RB. We might see more reverses though :nod: We had Shamen as the #2 RB in '05 and IMO it didn't work quiet as well as I would have hoped.

Yes, Shamen started out the season as the #2 back, but that was because Cinque Chapman was not ready to go due to injury at the start of the season. Cinque Chapman was the #2 back once he got healthy. He had twice the carries than Washington in 2005.

bisonmike2
11-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Shamen hasn't seemed as quick as he was when I first saw him on the field as a Bison....am I the only one seeing it? Is the competition that much quicker than it was when we first saw Shamen in action

I think he's as fast as he's ever been. We are playing better competition but I've been very impressed with his returns skill but I wish we could get him some more touches in the offense.

SloStang
11-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Slostang, you are right, they were on the road. You forgot to mention that you guys are outscoring your opponents 42-19 at home. Now for the bad news... it was against D2 Western Oregon, Weber St and U of Northern Colorado.

I'm not trying to say that you guys aren't going to be tough, because you are. I'm just saying that these 3 home games had a W penciled in on the schedule before the season started. NDSU will be the first and only good team you will see at home all year. You have NDSU and Iona College left.

Really, who the heck is Iona College? Lost to New Hampshire 49-21, 42-7 at the half, without Ricky Santos playing. You could put up 70 against this team.

I guess we will see how the Mustangs do against one of the best teams in the FCS today. I bet it is better than a lot of people think. I am not saying that they are going to win, but I think that they will give the Bison a game. I am interested to see how the Bison do against Barden. It should be a great game to watch.

1bizon1
11-10-2007, 03:16 PM

Thank you for your insight "Yogi bisonmike2 Berra!" LOL

No_Skill
11-10-2007, 03:21 PM
15% NDSU blows out Cal Poly
60% NDSU Wins a close game
20% Cal Poly wins a close game
5% Cal Poly blows out NDSU