PDA

View Full Version : ND/MN Sports Fans

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56BISON73
For many families its a tradition. Those that have moved away all come home. Friends from far and near get together just like many do at tailgating. Deer season only lasts a short time. Football season lasts 3 months or longer.
Also there is the allure of opening day. The majority of deer are taken over the first weekend. When deer are pressured real hard they can become nocturnal.
If you arent a hunter and have never hunted its very hard to explain. And mear words couldnt describe it. But if you are a hunter you understand and no explaination is necessary. PL

This is just one of many reasons why NDSU will never be able to sellout a large stadium on a regular basis. If a big fan like you cant wait to hunt until Sunday or next weekend when the Bison are in CA, then what should we expect from the casual fan. This is the difference between places that truely care about their football teams and places that like their teams, but would rather hunt, go to the lakes or beat the traffic by leaving after the 3rd Qtr. regardless of the score. Sorry for the rant.

onbison09
11-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Unfortunatley I think you're right.

UTH
11-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I would argue that there is absolutely nothing unfortunate about the hunting season being so important. I have enjoyed a great many games over the radio while afield. I can't imagine a hunting season without having the Bison on.

Once, back in the late 80s, my dad, two bothers, two uncles, a handful of cousins, and I were gathered around a pickup rehydrating and eating sandwiches. No fewer than eight of us had, or were about to, attend class at NDSU. The game was on the radio. It was close. There were tags yet to fill, but nobody cared. I think we stood there about two and a half hours. As 56Bison73 pointed out earlier, there is much more to hunting than just going out to hunt. It's the field. It's family. And for me, it's the Bison playing on the radio. I wouldn't give that up for anything.

See you all in Brookings.

WYOBISONMAN
11-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56BISON73
For many families its a tradition. Those that have moved away all come home. Friends from far and near get together just like many do at tailgating. Deer season only lasts a short time. Football season lasts 3 months or longer.
Also there is the allure of opening day. The majority of deer are taken over the first weekend. When deer are pressured real hard they can become nocturnal.
If you arent a hunter and have never hunted its very hard to explain. And mear words couldnt describe it. But if you are a hunter you understand and no explaination is necessary. PL

This is just one of many reasons why NDSU will never be able to sellout a large stadium on a regular basis. If a big fan like you cant wait to hunt until Sunday or next weekend when the Bison are in CA, then what should we expect from the casual fan. This is the difference between places that truely care about their football teams and places that like their teams, but would rather hunt, go to the lakes or beat the traffic by leaving after the 3rd Qtr. regardless of the score. Sorry for the rant.

I would absolutely agree with 56BISON73 on this. And, because one chooses to hunt the opener in no way means they are any less of a Bison fans that someone who chooses not to hunt. I know 56BISON73 and I know that as a great former Bison football player, he bleeds Green and Gold! Saying he or any other fan is anything less is a cheap shot.

BisonBabe
11-04-2007, 03:18 AM
I would absolutely agree with 56BISON73 on this. And, because one chooses to hunt the opener in no way means they are any less of a Bison fans that someone who chooses not to hunt. I know 56BISON73 and I know that as a great former Bison football player, he bleeds Green and Gold! Saying he or any other fan is anything less is a cheap shot.

Exactly. This is the first year that we have not had to miss a home game due to ND deer opener. I always enjoy listening to the game on the radio when in the field as well. For us we don't have the option of hunting on Sunday as our hunting area is 4 - 6 hours from Fargo.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-04-2007, 03:20 AM

I am not trying to suggest that people that choose to hunt raher than go to a Bison game are any less of a fan. I am trying to make a point about fans from this area of the country compared to OK, TX, PA and other areas of the country. As a whole this area of the county is just not as passionate about sports.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
11-04-2007, 03:24 AM
Exactly. This is the first year that we have not had to miss a home game due to ND deer opener. I always enjoy listening to the game on the radio when in the field as well. For us we don't have the option of hunting on Sunday as our hunting area is 4 - 6 hours from Fargo.

I would love to hear a Sooner, Buckeye, Longhorn, Penn St. or even a Odessa Permian fan suggest that they need miss a game due to hunting. We just do not care about Bison football the way other states/areas care about their teams and there is nothing wrong with that.

TheBisonator
11-04-2007, 03:25 AM
Well, I'm a football fanatic, and I don't know Jack Shit about hunting, so I guess I'll never understand. But hunters, don't be offended if I personally feel that I'm more of a hardcore football fan than all of you. You all may be football fans, but the fact that I am personally standing in line 3 hours before kickoff every game at the South End Zone, rain, shine, snow, sleet, hail or locusts, waiting for the student doors to open and cheering my ass off for the 4.5 hours I'm inside the Dome says something. If you have any priority that you have to take care of (that is not a needed work or school obligation) that you would rather do than go see the Bison, then in my eyes, you are more of a fan of that priority than Bison Football. You hunters will never be able to convince me that you value Bison Football #1 over all other non-obligation activities.

Flame away.

No_Skill
11-04-2007, 03:26 AM
I am not trying to suggest that people that choose to hunt raher than go to a Bison game are any less of a fan. I am trying to make a point about fans from this area of the country compared to OK, TX, PA and other areas of the country. As a whole this area of the county is just not as passionate about sports.

I follow you 100% and agree 100%.

Luckily I don't have to make the choice. Hopefully we can continue to schedule around it as much as possible.

NDSUstudent
11-04-2007, 03:26 AM

BS, NDSU brought 30k to the Metrodome. Bison fans have always been known to travel well. UND hockey packs their arena and when its State B time entire towns will be empty. People will ditch out on their favorite team to hunt and fish everywhere, its just the way it is. But in PA, TX, and OK there are millions of people so it doesn't have a huge impact.

UTH
11-04-2007, 03:39 AM
Well, I'm a football fanatic...

Flame away.

There is a certain set of priorities that people follow. When hunting season comes around for my family, it is a little family reunion. For the third year in a row now, I have family coming to ND from Ohio and Montana. My grandparents wait until the end of the season to go to Arizona. These are people that I don't even normally see during Christmas. If I choose going to the FFD over spending time with them, it would show a messed up set of priorities in life. Remember: In North Dakota, deer season is a national holiday. People plan their time off from work very carefully to accomidate the season or simply call in sick. There is no way around that. The sun will still rise in the east tomorrow.

1bizon1
11-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Everyone has their opinion and opinions are just THAT! They are neither right nor wrong. Everyone has different priorities. WHAT is the definition of a REAL fan? It is all opinion! To say that because someone else's opinion or priority does not match yours does not make them a real fan, IS, INMO, wrong. You can disagree with them/me all you want but to "call these people out" is what you are doing. What gives you that right? Just a simple question from a Bison fan. Oops... I guess I have not been able to be at every game due to family/work or.....so I am not a fan. SORRY!!!!
Great for you if you can be at every game. I wish too that I could but.....I can't!

OrygunBison
11-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm really not sure about all of you hunters out there...

When I lived in ND, and as an avid hunter and a RABID Bison fan, I often had to choose how I'd spend opening season weekend. Since my family hunting area is in Western ND and the game was either in Fargo or GF, I needed to make a concerted effort...

...to bag my deer on Friday!!!

Problem solved.

No_Skill
11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
This arguement crops up every year and will continue for years to come. What I've learned is the arguement is not going to stop people from killing bambi and put their butts in the stands, so what's the point.

Like I said before we need to do our best to schedule away games for the bloodlust openers.

See you in Brookings.

HooliganBison
11-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Convince the state governments to have the opening the same weekend every year and schedule an away game that week. Problem Solved :)

walknroehl
11-04-2007, 05:19 PM
This arguement crops up every year and will continue for years to come. What I've learned is the arguement is not going to stop people from killing bambi and put their butts in the stands, so what's the point.

Like I said before we need to do our best to schedule away games for the bloodlust openers.

See you in Brookings.

You clearly have no clue what hunting is.

Maybe you naysayers need to look at the % of the total population of the area that is attending these games before you make sweeping statements that we aren't sports fans.

People in this area want to be outdoors. We should be playing in an outdoor stadium imo.

Now that that rant is off. I actually ditched my cousin on a pheasant hunt to attend yesterday's game. :)