PDA

View Full Version : Are we ignoring our D2 past?

HerdBot
11-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Is it just me or do any of you feel like we're ignoring our D2 past instead of embracing it? Think about it. 8 NCAA D2 Championships. That has got to be one of the all time best on any level of football, whether it's D3, D2, D1, or NFL. Who has more than 8?

We have the banners hanging up in the dome but I wish it was more prominently displayed. It's a big deal and we should be really proud of it.

How big is an NCAA Football Championship? UND acts like they are the greatest D2 team in history and they have 1 Championship. Grand Valley has 4. North Alabama has 3.

Of course we're moving forward and we want to focus on D1 because it is a new era. But we can't forget that our past success plays a big role in our current success. I think it's intimidating for an opposing player to walk into the dome and see 8 NCAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

BlueBisonRock
11-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Is it just me or do any of you feel like we're ignoring our D2 past instead of embracing it? Think about it. 8 NCAA D2 Championships. That has got to be one of the all time best on any level of football, whether it's D3, D2, D1, or NFL. Who has more than 8?

We have the banners hanging up in the dome but I wish it was more prominently displayed. It's a big deal and we should be really proud of it.

How big is an NCAA Football Championship? UND acts like they are the greatest D2 team in history and they have 1 Championship. Grand Valley has 4. North Alabama has 3.

Of course we're moving forward and we want to focus on D1 because it is a new era. But we can't forget that our past success plays a big role in our current success. I think it's intimidating for an opposing player to walk into the dome and see 8 NCAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Agreed! I was a part of the early tradition and was a faithful alumni through these successes. Where 'we' came from is a big part of 'who we are"!

Herd
11-03-2007, 06:44 AM
I think it would have been a great gesture by NDSU to wear an NCC patch for the IL St. game to show solidarity with our brothers in the NCC as the league folds out. Just to say thanks for 81 years NCC, nothing else. It would have been a classy gesture.

CaBisonFan
11-03-2007, 07:07 AM

I agree. The great team that we have now didn't come out of the blue. Recruiting at North Dakota State is easier because of the great tradition. There's a touch of class that all Bison teams have. The attitude comes, in part, from decades of great accomplishments.

The move to DI wouldn't have been possible without the great tradition. People who have backed the program for years have stepped up to the plate...as well as newcomers. It is a historic program.

NDSUguy
11-03-2007, 07:40 AM
The past is irrelevant. Now that we're D1, no one cares about the D2 championships except ourselves.... Its in our best interest to not bring it up...it's like talking abou your highschool girlfriend....it's in the past.

tjbison
11-03-2007, 08:34 AM
The past is irrelevant. Now that we're D1, no one cares about the D2 championships except ourselves.... Its in our best interest to not bring it up...it's like talking abou your highschool girlfriend....it's in the past.

WHAT???? are you kidding me, I understand it is a Lower level of Comp. but when these 8 NC's and numerous conference title's were won it was in a different time than now. I think it was and is a great part of the BISON history, and nobody can say it isn't a part of what we have today!! GO BISON!! ON TRACK FOR 9:bow:

sambini
11-03-2007, 08:55 AM
In the West corridors of the Fargo Dome they honor the tradition with a very nice photo display. It will never leave my thoughts about the past Bison football tradition. Good to have Coach Hodenfield back with his family this weekend.

braveheart
11-03-2007, 09:59 AM
No I don't think we are nor should we!

EagleBison
11-03-2007, 11:53 AM
5 DII Championships, 3 College Division, which is a similar membership to I-AA (FCS) level of today, for a total of 8 football Championships.

NDSU has a history of playing Montana, Montana St, Grambling and other schools currently in FCS.

NDSU was ignoring history when it decided on DII over I-AA. Northern Iowa was the first to leave the NCC for I-AA.

braveheart
11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
5 DII Championships, 3 College Division, which is a similar membership to I-AA (FCS) level of today, for a total of 8 football Championships.

NDSU has a history of playing Montana, Montana St, Grambling and other schools currently in FCS.Spot On! I appreciate your precise knowledge of the distinction our past championships in FB have.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

02Bison
11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
The past is irrelevant. Now that we're D1, no one cares about the D2 championships except ourselves.... Its in our best interest to not bring it up....it's in the past.

My nomination for most ignorant post of the year!

semobison
11-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I secomd the nomination!

semobison
11-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Second, dammit!

braveheart
11-03-2007, 12:39 PM
They that forget where they came from, will never get to where they want to go!:) :) :) :) :) :)

02Bison
11-03-2007, 12:54 PM
That statement is a slap on the face to Bentrim, Simdorn, Hansen, Dick, Whetstone, Dahl, Robinson just to name a few.

sambini
11-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Also Bensen, Hatchett,Kiefer, Simmers, PL, Roller, Ahnemen etc...

Herd Mentality
11-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok, seriously. This whole thread is the most retarded thing I have ever seen posted at Bisonville.

The FargoDome is not OUR facility solely. Why would the banners be any bigger? Then they would have to be taken down for ANY other event that was ever held in the dome and then put back up. I'd much rather have them displayed for EVERYONE to see at EVERY event that is held there. All of the pictures around the concourse of the dome also support that tradition.

Every year we induct members that played on D2 teams into the NDSU hall of fame. We've seen game introductions with picture of the Bison tradition. We talk about it online here, during tailgating and when alumni get together.

Every time the Bison take the field in DI and show a nation of people that probably have never heard of us that we are a quality program, they are going to take notice and look into the history of the program. How much do you think wins over Wisconsin, Marquette, Central Michigan and Minnesota have made people go online and find out "who are the NDSU Bison"? I bet a lot.

Please don't feed me some line of garbage that we are ignoring our history. You want us to announce that we "used to be a D2 team" at the beginning of every game? Give it up. D2 is behind us and focusing our energy on being the best DI program we can be is going to be what keeps our history alive. Floundering around in DI is what is going to kill it.

tcbison
11-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Last year in the Minnesota game the announcers liked talking about NDSU's 8 national championships. They basically said this team and past teams know how to win and NDSU's tradition is a big part of that. Coach Bohl knew about NDSU's tradition and that is one reason he came to NDSU instead of being the defensive coordinator at Stanford. NDSU's tradition and past is something we all can be proud of.

braveheart
11-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Ok, seriously. This whole thread is the most retarded thing I have ever seen posted at Bisonville.

The FargoDome is not OUR facility solely. Why would the banners be any bigger? Then they would have to be taken down for ANY other event that was ever held in the dome and then put back up. I'd much rather have them displayed for EVERYONE to see at EVERY event that is held there. All of the pictures around the concourse of the dome also support that tradition.

Every year we induct members that played on D2 teams into the NDSU hall of fame. We've seen game introductions with picture of the Bison tradition. We talk about it online here, during tailgating and when alumni get together.

Every time the Bison take the field in DI and show a nation of people that probably have never heard of us that we are a quality program, they are going to take notice and look into the history of the program. How much do you think wins over Wisconsin, Marquette, Central Michigan and Minnesota have made people go online and find out "who are the NDSU Bison"? I bet a lot.

Please don't feed me some line of garbage that we are ignoring our history. You want us to announce that we "used to be a D2 team" at the beginning of every game? Give it up. D2 is behind us and focusing our energy on being the best DI program we can be is going to be what keeps our history alive. Floundering around in DI is what is going to kill it. The is some risk of that happening, but there is one absolute way to keep us from floundering around in D1 and there is living proof in our Great State of North Dakota that can testify to that in an unquestionable fashion. Does anybody have the answer? I would bet Sambini does!

02Bison
11-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Herd - i think you are looking at this from a different angle then the thread was intended to look into. I think what this thread was getting at is now that NDSU is Division I, its foolish for fans to talk badly about D2 like some seem to want to do. D2 is where the tradition started that NDSU is building upon today. Many of the coaches of the DI teams NDSU are playing today say things like "they're a good program...look at the tradition they built in D2, and they've carried that success forward with them in their transition to DI". I seem to hear or read quotes like this a lot in recent years from opposing coaches when asked to comment about and give their thoughts about NDSU. The tradition of yesteryear is a very important part of who the Bison are today.

Jdubs21
11-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I got an idea....we should make 8 replica banners and put them in the halls by each locker room so the players from the opposing team get more intimidated, and our players get fired up because they are part of that tradition :D

tjbison
11-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I got an idea....we should make 8 replica banners and put them in the halls by each locker room so the players from the opposing team get more intimidated, and our players get fired up because they are part of that tradition :D

Speaking of Banners, does anybody wish the ones we have were more visible??? Hard to see those little guys way up there in the sky.( by the way I look at them everytime I go in that place:D )

CaBisonFan
11-03-2007, 04:25 PM

I disagree. This program has been a juggernaut since the early 60s...with inevitable peaks and valleys.

If you just look at the recruiting aspect, there are a lot of players that give NDSU a 'look' because of the great tradition and the name connected to it. When a North Dakota State recruiter calls or visits, a lot of kids sit up and listen. Not all...and especially out of the region...but most of the recruits in the region know that the Bison have a track record of great success.

We shouldn't dwell on it, but we shouldn't throw it out either. It 'is' a part of the dynasty. Many, many of those championship teams would have played well against teams like CMU, Ball State, and Minnesota. They were 'scary' good. Comparing them with this era is irrelevant, but I'm confident that the Bison teams from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even possibly the 90s would have put some real fear into the hearts of a lot of DI teams.

The label is over-rated.

When I taught at Brookings High School in the 80s and 90s, the coaches were from SDSU. I asked them once, "how was it to play against North Dakota State."

Their answer? "They were a DI program in disguise."

They shouldn't be forgotten.

HerdBot
11-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I secomd the nomination!

Agreed! Homer post of the year!

HerdBot
11-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I disagree. This program has been a juggernaut since the early 60s...with inevitable peaks and valleys.

If you just look at the recruiting aspect, there are a lot of players that give NDSU a 'look' because of the great tradition and the name connected to it. When a North Dakota State recruiter calls or visits, a lot of kids sit up and listen. Not all...and especially out of the region...but most of the recruits in the region know that the Bison have a track record of great success.

We shouldn't dwell on it, but we shouldn't throw it out either. It 'is' a part of the dynasty. Many, many of those championship teams would have played well against teams like CMU, Ball State, and Minnesota. They were 'scary' good. Comparing them with this era is irrelevant, but I'm confident that the Bison teams from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even possibly the 90s would have put some real fear into the hearts of a lot of DI teams.

The label is over-rated.

When I taught at Brookings High School in the 80s and 90s, the coaches were from SDSU. I asked them once, "how was it to play against North Dakota State."

Their answer? "They were a DI program in disguise."

They shouldn't be forgotten.

Now that we're moving into new territories in recruiting - many of these kids have no clue about the 8 D2 Championships. I read an article about Walker getting recruited by NDSU and he said he chuckled at first but when he found out about the history and tradition and and how cool the FM area is... he was sold. If I'm comparing 2 schools, am I going to be impressed with 8 D2 NCAA National Championships or zero D1 Championships? I'll take the 8 any day of the week. When your Champions your the best in the world.

THose D2 teams would whoop ass on a lot of teams. We forget that D2 had more scholorships back in the day.

roadwarrior
11-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Look for NDSU to celebrate all of the past success by all of the athletic teams next fall, when our move to D-I is official.

NDSUguy
11-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I've been nominated for having the most ingnorant post of the year.... I still believe that the past is truely irrelevant to EVERYONE except for ourselves... First off, most of our competition has no idea that we won any D2 national championships. So to them, its irrelevant. They see us as a good team and their goal is to beat us. Whether we have a storied tradition or whether we have won national championships makes no difference to them. I can tell you that our history does not make them fear or respect us more.

Hammerhead
11-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Our D-II success in recend decades would seem to be just as appropriate as filling the Metrodome with U of M championship and Heisman winners from way back in the 1st half of the 20th century.

HerdBot
11-04-2007, 05:03 AM
I've been nominated for having the most ingnorant post of the year.... I still believe that the past is truely irrelevant to EVERYONE except for ourselves... First off, most of our competition has no idea that we won any D2 national championships. So to them, its irrelevant. They see us as a good team and their goal is to beat us. Whether we have a storied tradition or whether we have won national championships makes no difference to them. I can tell you that our history does not make them fear or respect us more.

I disagree.

What about the "auora of storied Lambeau Field?" How about Yankee Stadium? There is something special about those places because of the tradition, the uniforms, and the fans. Some people think it's the ghosts of the past or karma. (think yanks, cubs, red sox or vikings in a bad way)

You think Green Bay would be where they are today (100,000 on season ticket waiting list) without taking pride in their past, which includes a ton of Championships way back in the day.

Fargo, like Green Bay is known for cold and crappy winters so recruits (D1 tranfers) and free agents need to be sold on other aspects. A history of winning! A history of NFL players.

You don't think seeing 8 NCAA Championships banners will effect the competition? I respectfully disagree. It's late in the game. Both teams are exhausted and the competition is on the verge of breaking. Both teams are tired but the competition looks over and sees the Championship banners and they start to wonder if they are as good as the Bison. They start thinking negative thoughts and it's over. Why do you think visitor teams are painted in dark somber colors?

90BISON
11-04-2007, 07:37 PM

With this current line of thinking????, who cares about Notre Dame, Michigan, USC, Ohio State, Penn State, etc...... Yea, so they win a few games now and then but who cares! The Big Ten, joke. The Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, whatever dude. History means nothing??? Ask the guys that were recruited by some of those schools if history matters!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

CaBisonFan
11-04-2007, 07:41 PM

It's not for the other teams. As in the past...all that matters is that we dismantle our opponents. In the FCS and FBS we have to earn a new reputation. But again, it's not about them.

An exception would be a reputation that we have in the FCS because of teams that we hammered in the playoffs over the years. People at those institutions that were around haven't forgotten about the great NDSU football tradition. It makes them sit up a little straighter. Our D2 history isn't a winning streak of championships. It's about 4 decades of consistency, championships, and many, many near misses.

Recognition of the dynasty is for the fans, players, and future recruits.

borderbison
11-05-2007, 03:03 PM
I respectfully read this board every day and enjoy the opinions and the different ways fans interpret things. However, to think history is irrelevant to the continued success of this program is disturbing. To fully understand Bison Nation, you have to understand the significance of the different eras. I was 8 when Bentrim was a freshman but he's the one started my love for the Bison. A 51 yard FG from winning 4 NC's. Breaks Payton's record in 20 degree weather at Memorial field. Anyone in my generation that bleeds green and gold remembers "the pitch". The tradition and history is what makes us stand alone. Along with Bentrim, Simdorn, Satter, Phil, Tyrone Braxton, Jim Dick, Mike Favor, Ken Kubicz, Len Kretchman, Stacy Robinson, Chad Stark are just a few of the many that increased our exposure all over the country. I know there are many more big names between these teams and todays teams but I think my point is taken. To say these players and their era didn't lead up to what's going on today is crazy. Outside of players, how about Dakotah Field. That's where Bison Football had the advantage. I love the dome and am a teammaker but 18,000 people doesn't give you the same atmosphere 10K gave you at DF.
Lets just say SU does go into the FCS is 15 years, are you going to think Steve Walker, Mays, Steffes & Roehl will become insignificant or irrelevant because they are in the past? Someone asked Walker on SME why he chose SU - his answer was history and tradition.
I personally don't agree we're forgetting the past or at least not with the things I've been involved with, I just hate to think some people just don't get it.

borderbison
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I obviously meant FBS not FCS in my last post.

roadwarrior
11-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I might be wrong on this, but I wonder if those that think the past is not significant are too young to have been around in those days?

TransAmBison
11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I respectfully read this board every day and enjoy the opinions and the different ways fans interpret things. However, to think history is irrelevant to the continued success of this program is disturbing. To fully understand Bison Nation, you have to understand the significance of the different eras. I was 8 when Bentrim was a freshman but he's the one started my love for the Bison. A 51 yard FG from winning 4 NC's. Breaks Payton's record in 20 degree weather at Memorial field. Anyone in my generation that bleeds green and gold remembers "the pitch". The tradition and history is what makes us stand alone. Along with Bentrim, Simdorn, Satter, Phil, Tyrone Braxton, Jim Dick, Mike Favor, Ken Kubicz, Len Kretchman, Stacy Robinson, Chad Stark are just a few of the many that increased our exposure all over the country. I know there are many more big names between these teams and todays teams but I think my point is taken. To say these players and their era didn't lead up to what's going on today is crazy. Outside of players, how about Dakotah Field. That's where Bison Football had the advantage. I love the dome and am a teammaker but 18,000 people doesn't give you the same atmosphere 10K gave you at DF.
Lets just say SU does go into the FCS is 15 years, are you going to think Steve Walker, Mays, Steffes & Roehl will become insignificant or irrelevant because they are in the past? Someone asked Walker on SME why he chose SU - his answer was history and tradition.
I personally don't agree we're forgetting the past or at least not with the things I've been involved with, I just hate to think some people just don't get it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

90BISON
11-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I might be wrong on this, but I wonder if those that think the past is not significant are too young to have been around in those days?

My actual thoughts when I originally did my first post, but mine was borderline smack and I was trying to avoid getting into a smackfest with some 19 yr old college student, especially if it's one of ours. I think you develop more of a significance of history / nostalgia as you get older IMO, especially when it involves past glorious days. I think some rock & roller sang a song about that once.:)