PDA

View Full Version : Respect from Illinois Media

NWNDBison
11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
From the Pantagraph.com (Bloomington-Normal IL)

Bison Rolling as Division I Outfit -- by Randy Reinhardt

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/31/sports/doc472926677c55b593635841.txt

I particularly took notice of how Craig Bohl has modified his stance since the CSN jabs:

“We’re working like crazy to be the best team in the country,” NDSU coach Craig Bohl said. “The NCAA is not allowing us to get in the playoffs, but that’s OK. We’re just trying to be the best team we can be.”

Jdubs21
11-02-2007, 03:39 PM
nice find!!

HerdBot
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Good article. The only thing that bugs me is how we shy away from our D2 history. It states when Bohl came here, we were a 2-8 D2 team. I think a better way to portray our past is by the 8 NCAA Championships.

westriver bison
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Good article. The only thing that bugs me is how we shy away from our D2 history. It states when Bohl came here, we were a 2-8 D2 team. I think a better way to portray our past is by the 8 NCAA Championships.

Those championships certainly are a proud part of our past. We are in a new era, bringing up D2 championships now that we are in FCS is like putting your high school accomplishments on a resume after you have finished college. It makes for interesting reading but really doesn't mean anything about the present.

eddie
11-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i think i disagree about the DII champs... I think they do carry weight. Its the same idea that the traditional powers in FCS can probably play a lot of FBS teams tight and that the upper tier of DII could play/transition to FCS division competitively. No matter what level you are at there are always some haves and have-nots. Those that have a history of success tend to be better supported than the middle of the packs.

NDSUFan_Sav
11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
i think i disagree about the DII champs... I think they do carry weight. Its the same idea that the traditional powers in FCS can probably play a lot of FBS teams tight and that the upper tier of DII could play/transition to FCS division competitively. No matter what level you are at there are always some haves and have-nots. Those that have a history of success tend to be better supported than the middle of the packs.

Damn straight...well said!!! We were and elite and DII and looks like we're starting to be one in D1-AA already, hope it keeps up.

braveheart
11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
All that is happening is 40 years overdue.

onbison09
11-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Nice article and nice change of stance by Bohl.

CaBisonFan
11-03-2007, 02:08 AM

I totally agree with you about the history of our championships. It doesn't seem like most of the media much cares...and it's frustrating. This program didn't pop out of nowhere. Without that history, things wouldn't be as good now. I doubt that the support to move up would have been there without the great tradition.

It might also be a statement about the amount of respect that D2 has right now...which is little to none.

THEsocalledfan
11-03-2007, 03:19 AM
When they do the intro to the Bison games at the Dome, what does it say on the screen? Tradition.

It is what seperates NDSU from the rest of the pack. Doesn't matter if it was D2; what does matter is that NDSU takes football seriously and puts every last cent needed into the program.

Herd
11-03-2007, 06:50 AM
IMO, the Bison and Jacks should wear an NCC patch on 11/17 to show solidarity to the league that supported them for 81 years. DII does mean something to NDSU and always will. That patch would be a classy gesture and would mend some bridges with SD and ND.

NWNDBison
11-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Today's IL State Article from the Pantagraph:

ISU's road gets no easier at No. 1 North Dakota State

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/11/03/sports/doc472bc24d26ba0394681602.txt

"Heading inside the climate-controlled Fargodome today, the Illinois State football team need not worry about the North Dakota weather in early November.

"That is only a small comfort for the Redbirds. Of much greater concern is the heat that figures to be applied by an undefeated North Dakota State team in a 4:07 p.m. nonconference game."