PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Twin Cities in Star Tribune

tcbison
11-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I scanned this from the sports section in last Saturday's Star Tribune. It is a half page ad. Pretty sweet! I put the text below the attachment.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/cmayr800/ThankYouTwinCities.jpg

It reads:
Thank you Twin Cities

The alumni, students and friends of North Dakota State University who visited your fine cities last weekend wish to thank you for your generosity and hospitality. Your kindness was much appreciated.

NDSU North Dakota State University, Fargo

aces1180
11-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Awesome...Nice find!

KC Bison
11-01-2007, 01:12 PM
There's one word for that ad ... Class.

NDSUguy
11-01-2007, 01:33 PM
my also be read as:

Thank you Twin Cities.... Please invite us back again because we'll bring our money and will sell out your stadium.

aces1180
11-01-2007, 01:34 PM

It was very classy...And we didn't even rub the score in. ;)

bisonmike2
11-01-2007, 03:20 PM
my also be read as:

Thank you Twin Cities.... Please invite us back again because we'll bring our money and will sell out your stadium.

or

Thank you University of Minnesota...It's cool if we cash that $300,000 check right? No hard feelings and thanks for the national exposure.

WYOBISONMAN
11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I am glad to see we did that. It was a great time......

roadwarrior
11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I printed out the ad, and am taking it to Teammakers today.

tcbison
11-01-2007, 04:13 PM
I printed out the ad, and am taking it to Teammakers today.

Cool! I can't make it to any Teammakers meetings. If you could share what they talk about that is much appreciated. :nod:

RHM
11-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Great Marketing... Strike while the iron is hot.

BisManBison
11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Very Classy!

IBleedYellow
11-02-2007, 01:46 AM

That's what I want NDSU to be known for. The classy and skilled DI school.

JackJD
11-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Another point of view on the ad:

I thought the Bison win over the Gophers was spectactular. I couldn't make it to the game but had a son (SDSU grad) in the crowd cheering for the Bison. Now, on the subject of the ad...I'm not sure I would have run that ad. I heard about the ad from a friend who is a suffering Gopher fan. I think the ad may have (needlessly) offended your Minnesota neighbors.

What was so cool about much of the game was the Bison football team acted like they weren't surprised (and, they weren't, especially after last year's win in every category except the final score). You know, it's the standard admonition from the coaches: act like you've been there before.

You can't buy the amount of great press and national attention the football team has brought to NDSU. I'm sure the ad doesn't diminish that much but in the eyes of some in the Twin Cities, it has done that (the word I heard was "gloating").

Guys: you want to be invited back to do it again! That was a nice paycheck! Don't tick 'em off!

Keep up the good work --- but only until November 16.

imported_Bisongold
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't think the "masses" would feel that way. You can't please everyone. I feel the Alumni Association has been outstanding at every away game I have attended. A simple thankyou is all it was. If someone wants to make more of it, then they have an ego problem.

90BISON
11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think the "masses" would feel that way. You can't please everyone. I feel the Alumni Association has been outstanding at every away game I have attended. A simple thankyou is all it was. If someone wants to make more of it, then they have an ego problem.

Very much agree. If you took offense to that ad, you are definately way to hypersensitive and were reading more into it than I'm sure was intended.:nod:

NWNDBison
11-02-2007, 03:31 PM
That's what I want NDSU to be known for. The classy and skilled DI school.

Very much agree. If you took offense to that ad, you are definately way to hypersensitive and were reading more into it than I'm sure was intended.:nod:

Agree! . . . Agree!! . . . Agree!!!

westriver bison
11-02-2007, 04:21 PM
I think it was great. I also think it was very subtle but very effective smack. The best kind.

JackJD
11-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I think it was great. I also think it was very subtle but very effective smack. The best kind.

I tend to agree it was smack although not entirely subtle. Why smack a team when you just cleaned them out at home in front of a fabulous crowd that attracted national attention? Oh well, I'm sure it won't do much harm but it would be nice if both SDSU and NDSU could be on Minnesota's schedule in many sports in the coming years. I hope the Gopher scheduling powers weren't offended.

It was a great victory for the Bison.

TransAmBison
11-02-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't think it was intended as smack at all. I think it was intended towards the establishments that catered to the Bison over the weekend. (Ex. Marriott, Bootleggers etc.)

WYOBISONMAN
11-02-2007, 07:07 PM
It was intended to say, "Thanks!" No hidden motive at all......good lord.......there is nothing wrong with saying thanks when you were shown a great time in a great town. Between this thread, the Bison in a Bowl thread, and the "getting the rules lifted so we can be in the playoffs" thread, I am starting to think that all this winning has people and their imaginations running wild and a tad on the irrational side.......JMHO.

Bison"FANatic"
11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
That was in know way in my opinion meant as smack talk. I believe they were just trying to say exactly what it said Thank You. I myself was received very well by the good folks of the Twin Cities and the surrounding area. Heck there was a ton of cash dropped into that town by the many families that attended that game. Most people made a weekend out of it as no school was in session in ND at the end of the week prior.

90BISON
11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Just a quick economics lesson of why they should not be offended by the advertisement. First of all they should be taking out a statewide ad in all the MN & ND newspapers thanking all the fans and alumni for coming to the TC to take in the game and drop a whole bunch of ching to boot! If you took the estimate of 30K bison fans (obviously a whole bunch of them are TC or near vicinity residents) and took an average of $200 per fan dropped while they were in town, knocking it down for in town alumni, that would have been $6 mill plus for the weekend. End of discussion.:D

99Bison
11-04-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.in-forum.com:80/Opinion/articles/182608

An appretiative thank you from a gopher fan.

tjbison
11-04-2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.in-forum.com:80/Opinion/articles/182608

An appretiative thank you from a gopher fan.

I read that too, I know all the gopher fans I sat by (in their season ticket sections) were very pleased with our fans and players. A older guy beside me went on to say at the end that this was "the funnest gopher game he had been to in a long time" and went on to congratulate me and my friend on being great fans. I highly doubt many TRUE fans will find this as SMACK!

braveheart
11-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Just a quick economics lesson of why they should not be offended by the advertisement. First of all they should be taking out a statewide ad in all the MN & ND newspapers thanking all the fans and alumni for coming to the TC to take in the game and drop a whole bunch of ching to boot! If you took the estimate of 30K bison fans (obviously a whole bunch of them are TC or near vicinity residents) and took an average of $200 per fan dropped while they were in town, knocking it down for in town alumni, that would have been $6 mill plus for the weekend. End of discussion.:D+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++They gave us 300,000 and we probably gave them 6 million. I am not sure which economics classes any of you took in college, but they should be thanking us!

gwfan
11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
We should have all stayed home and gave our $200 to ndsu. Then we would
not have to worry about Coach Bohl leaving.

lakesbison
11-04-2007, 08:33 PM
AMEN TO THAT!!

THEY SHOULD SEND US A CHECK FROM THE MINNEAPOLIS CVB. downtown was ALL NDSU that Saturday.

braveheart
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
We should have all stayed home and gave our $200 to ndsu. Then we would
not have to worry about Coach Bohl leaving.I don't know if I would have gone so far as to stay home, but gwfan you are on to something. There will probably be a separate thread to deal with this concept.:bow: :bow:

BisBison
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
AMEN TO THAT!!

THEY SHOULD SEND US A CHECK FROM THE MINNEAPOLIS CVB. downtown was ALL NDSU that Saturday.

Downtown AND the Mall of America.

airwaveslave
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I read it and immediately thought there was a little underlying sarcasm associated with it. I'm sure everyone is thankful for the hospitality and generosity displayed by the Twin Cities, but it's not necessary to have a huge newspaper ad display your gratitude...I didn't think it was a very classy move.

You stay classy Fargo...

bisonmike2
11-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Downtown AND the Mall of America.

Amen to that. MOA looked like a NDSU pep rally and apparently Bubba Gump Shrimp Company was hosting the dinner.

roadwarrior
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
The parking lot at the Albertville Outlet Mall was way over half ND license plates on sunday.

tcbison
11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
The Great Falls Tribune talks about this ad here:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071108/SPORTS/711080333

Quote:

A few weeks ago in Minneapolis, North Dakota State made big news with a stunning victory over the Big Ten Conference Gophers.
The next Saturday in Minnesota's largest newspaper, the Star Tribune, a half-page ad appeared in the sports section with a headline that read: Thank You Twin Cities. The ad, paid for by North Dakota State, went on to thank the Twin Cities folks for their generosity, hospitality and kindness.
Only a cynic, of course, would suggest there was any sarcasm intended. But Minnesota first-year coach Tim Brewster raised some hackles in North Dakota the week prior to the game when he indicated he wasn't interested in recruiting football players out of the Peace Garden State. And it's undeniably true that North Dakota State's football team, a former Division II outfit that's still ineligible for the FCS national playoffs because of the five-year probationary period, had the last laugh on the Gophers.

aces1180
11-08-2007, 08:48 PM
The Great Falls Tribune talks about this ad here:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071108/SPORTS/711080333

Quote:

A few weeks ago in Minneapolis, North Dakota State made big news with a stunning victory over the Big Ten Conference Gophers.
The next Saturday in Minnesota's largest newspaper, the Star Tribune, a half-page ad appeared in the sports section with a headline that read: Thank You Twin Cities. The ad, paid for by North Dakota State, went on to thank the Twin Cities folks for their generosity, hospitality and kindness.
Only a cynic, of course, would suggest there was any sarcasm intended. But Minnesota first-year coach Tim Brewster raised some hackles in North Dakota the week prior to the game when he indicated he wasn't interested in recruiting football players out of the Peace Garden State. And it's undeniably true that North Dakota State's football team, a former Division II outfit that's still ineligible for the FCS national playoffs because of the five-year probationary period, had the last laugh on the Gophers.

It goes on to say that Montana State is going to play Mankato next year...What a bunch of winners. Why don't the Bobcats just come to the Fargodome and get their butts kicked like they should? Montana and Montana State piss me off.

Sorry, end rant ;)

tcbison
11-08-2007, 09:07 PM
It goes on to say that Montana State is going to play Mankato next year...What a bunch of winners. Why don't the Bobcats just come to the Fargodome and get their butts kicked like they should? Montana and Montana State piss me off.

Sorry, end rant ;)

OK, now you got me started. :fight:

Montana and Montana State piss me off as well. They only time they travel away from home is for a FBS game or a Big Sky conference game. I still don't like what Montana did to both SDSU and Cal Poly over the last few years. I know some disagree with me but what Montana State did to NDSU wasn't right either. If you sign a home and home agreement you follow through with it. If you never intented to follow through with it then it should be a guarantee game. Plain and simple. :ranting:

KC Bison
11-09-2007, 12:23 AM
So far, I see that 3 Jack fans think the ad was some sort of smack. I think it showed the real class of the University. Me thinks there may be some jealous dudes that reside down in Brookings. The odds of SDSU ever beating Minnesota are slim to none -- good year or bad year for the Gophers. Sorry, but we make no apologies for whipping up on the Gophers and the ad was just telling them we were glad to play the game.

90BISON
11-09-2007, 12:25 AM
OK, now you got me started. :fight:

Montana and Montana State piss me off as well. They only time they travel away from home is for a FBS game or a Big Sky conference game. I still don't like what Montana did to both SDSU and Cal Poly over the last few years. I know some disagree with me but what Montana State did to NDSU wasn't right either. If you sign a home and home agreement you follow through with it. If you never intented to follow through with it then it should be a guarantee game. Plain and simple. :ranting:

A couple years ago, I don't know that we were in a position to dictate much of anything as far as contracts to our favor. Times have changed.:D :D

BisManBison
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
A couple years ago, I don't know that we were in a position to dictate much of anything as far as contracts to our favor. Times have changed.:D :D

Oh yes, times are a changin! We are in a much better position to dictate terms of game contracts. I didn't like what Montana State did as far as the buyout went, I was really looking forward to them coming to Fargo. But you can't really blame them...business is business. And that game was going to be a loss for them, and a bad loss at that.

But with our success and willingness to travel for good competition, I hope attitudes with schools like the Montana's will change, unless they think they can get away with their continued cream puff schedules they play at home and still make the playoffs. But I think those days are coming to an end. If Big Sky teams want to send more than just the conference champions to the playoffs, they are going to have to start hitting the road once in a while with OOC games.