PDA

View Full Version : Better Bohl rumors

OldBison
10-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Tom Dienhart reports for the Sporting News and has a column today regarding potential coaching changes. If you recall, as posted here earlier, he reported Bohl as a potential candidate for the NE job. This is what he had most recently to say about the Cornhusker job:

The Nebraska situation is fluid, from what I can tell.

Husker Nation wants Tom Osborne to "put the band back together," hiring a fantasy staff that would include Big Red cronies. Not likely to happen.

It's time to move on.

I'm told two of Osborne's favorite people on the planet are Buffalo coach Turner Gill and Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. But can either be sold to the public for this job? Gill looks too green, while Steele didn't thrive as Baylor's coach.

LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini remains hot.

Other names that continue to be floated are Navy's Paul Johnson and Wake Forest's Jim Grobe. Johnson would move himself to Lincoln for the job. Grobe? He eschewed overtures from Alabama last year, and knowing Grobe a bit myself I get the feeling he's content with his fiefdom in Winston-Salem. But, never say never. Either would do a great job.

The more I hear, the more I realize North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl has little -- if any -- shot at this job.

A wild-card name: Wyoming coach Joe Glenn. In addition to doing a great job in Laramie, the colorful Glenn is a native of Lincoln. Knowing the heartbeat of the state will be vital for the new coach.

Bison bison
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Glenn would be an interesting hire.

The Cowboys are having a pretty good season.

79FCourt
10-31-2007, 02:13 PM
The Cowboy's record is a little deceiving this year. Although they have quality wins over Virginia and TCU, they have played poorly lately with bad losses to New Mexico and Air Force. Plus they barely squeeked by UNLV at home last week, with UNLV being a very poor MWC team. The thoughts out here are that Glenn has not done enough at Wyoming to prove that he's up to the Nebraska job. Now, if he wins three of the last four and the Cowboys go to a bowl game, all bets are off.

heckler
10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
UNLV who lost to Wisconsin by 7.

bisonmike2
10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
How do you consider any rumors better? It's like hearing a rumor that your wife slept with 10 dudes, but then hearing a different one saying that it was only 3. While the second rumor is "better", it's still not exactly what you want to hear. I don't like hearing Bohl's name being brought up with any job vacancies, even if it is someone saying he has no shot. Just that fact that his name is being thrown out there means he has a shot.

Go_Herd
10-31-2007, 03:22 PM
How do you consider any rumors better? It's like hearing a rumor that your wife slept with 10 dudes, but then hearing a different one saying that it was only 3. While the second rumor is "better", it's still not exactly what you want to hear. I don't like hearing Bohl's name being brought up with any job vacancies, even if it is someone saying he has no shot. Just that fact that his name is being thrown out there means he has a shot.

haha rep points for you

Gully
10-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Post of the day!!!!! Rep points for you!

WYOBISONMAN
10-31-2007, 04:29 PM
The Cowboy's record is a little deceiving this year. Although they have quality wins over Virginia and TCU, they have played poorly lately with bad losses to New Mexico and Air Force. Plus they barely squeeked by UNLV at home last week, with UNLV being a very poor MWC team. The thoughts out here are that Glenn has not done enough at Wyoming to prove that he's up to the Nebraska job. Now, if he wins three of the last four and the Cowboys go to a bowl game, all bets are off.

I agree. Wyoming has been horribly inconsistent on offense. I think they need a new offensive coordinator. The game to watch will be WYO at Utah. If the Cowboys win that one, they should knock of BYU at Laramie too (they also have to play San Diego State). I think they will walk all over CSU, but who knows with that up and down offense.

They need a Pat Perles and Steve Walker!!

OldBison
10-31-2007, 05:20 PM

Point taken, but I still think any rumor that says Bohl doesn't have a chance at a job, especially since he has been mentioned specifically for the NE job, is BETTER!

braveheart
10-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Bohl is not going anywhere! In the remote possibility that he leaves, We will find a very qualified replacement!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

bisonmike2
10-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Point taken, but I still think any rumor that says Bohl doesn't have a chance at a job, especially since he has been mentioned specifically for the NE job, is BETTER!

I see what you're saying but history is filled with instances where coaches who are not supposed to have a shot at a job somehow come out of nowhere and get it. I want a rumor to surface about how Bohl and Gene Taylor made a pact to keep this good thing going and both agree to sign a 20 year contract to stay at NDSU. And then I want that rumor to become true. :)

fargocyclone
10-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I see what you're saying but history is filled with instances where coaches who are not supposed to have a shot at a job somehow come out of nowhere and get it. I want a rumor to surface about how Bohl and Gene Taylor made a pact to keep this good thing going and both agree to sign a 20 year contract to stay at NDSU. And then I want that rumor to become true. :)

Now THAT'S a better rumor!:D

Bisonguy
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM

Bohl wasn't exactly the favorite or leading candidate in the rumor mills leading up to his hire.

Heck, it took his hiring by Gene Taylor for most people to learn anything about him. :nod:

Leonardite
11-01-2007, 06:04 AM
If they are truly serious about going back to old school Nebraska football, they have to give Paul Johnson a long look.