PDA

View Full Version : This will be the toughest game of the year

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Illinois State plays in the best conference in D1AA. They dominated Youngstown on the road 2 weeks ago. Youngstown almost beat Northern Iowa last week and should have won. Northern Iowa is ranked #1/#2 in the country depending on which poll you look at.

These are all Gateway teams and anyone can win on any given week. There are no easy games and blowouts do not happen. When your the #1 team in the country you have a target on your back and teams always bring their A game. It's a TV game for Illinois State too so they will be fired up. Don't let their 4-5 record fool you. If they hadn't played #25 D1A Missouri they would be above .500!

This game will be decided in the 4th quarter and I predict we win by 3 points. We could lose too. I'm starting to sense some arrogance and that's when we get our asses handed to us.

As fans, we need to be at the top of our game and extra loud!! Oh, and don't forget it starts a 4!

NDSUguy
10-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for stating the obvious. Yes, we are good and yes we can be beat.

I tend to think that the fans are a bit more arrogant than the players and coaches. I think that the team will be fine and i'm sure that Coach Bohl will have them ready to play.

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for stating the obvious. Yes, we are good and yes we can be beat.

I tend to think that the fans are a bit more arrogant than the players and coaches. I think that the team will be fine and i'm sure that Coach Bohl will have them ready to play.

You would think I'm stating the obvious but most fans here are posting predictions of blowouts!

Bison06
10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
The Youngstown game should not be looked at as a barometer for how good this team is. Youngstown is the most inconsistent team in the country right now, who knows which team showed up to play Illinois St. that day. As for this being the toughest game left on our schedule I think you have forgotten about how tough the Great West Conference is. I think we will come out hot and roll these guys, not arrogance, confidence. Coach Bohl will have the guys ready, c'mon last home game of the year, last home game ever for Steve and the rest of the seniors, they will be ready. Wish I could be there.

99Bison
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
You would think I'm stating the obvious but most fans here are posting predictions of blowouts!

Predictings scores whether it's a blowout or not is being arrogant now? Ha ha that's pretty funny?

Bison bison
10-30-2007, 02:28 PM
With all due respect, there is no way this should be the toughest game of the year.

1. The Redbirds beat the Penguins by 5.
1a. With exception of last week's game, Youngstown State is having a horrible season (given their program's standards). 1-3 in conference, losses to some bad teams.

2. Illinois State lost their leading rusher last weekend-finishing with 64 rushing yards. I don't see how they more than double that output against the Bison. Without a balanced attack, I don't see how they beat us.

2a. Western Illinois handled them pretty easily in Normal. The Leathernecks were up 20-0 in the 4th quarter. I think we are as good as WIU, match up pretty well with their skills/style of play.

3. Any Given Saturday.

Bison by 10.

Bison bison
10-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Coach Bohl will have the guys ready, c'mon last home game of the year, last home game ever for Steve and the rest of the seniors, they will be ready. Wish I could be there.

SDSU will be the toughest game of the year.

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 02:29 PM
The Youngstown game should not be looked at as a barometer for how good this team is. Youngstown is the most inconsistent team in the country right now, who knows which team showed up to play Illinois St. that day. As for this being the toughest game left on our schedule I think you have forgotten about how tough the Great West Conference is. I think we will come out hot and roll these guys, not arrogance, confidence. Coach Bohl will have the guys ready, c'mon last home game of the year, last home game ever for Steve and the rest of the seniors, they will be ready. Wish I could be there.

When your tied with Northern Iowa after 3 quarters your a great team.

EagleBison
10-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Best WR out for the season with a concussion last week against UNI and leading rusher out for the season with a broken hand. It will still be a tough game, no doubt, but it would have been nice to see their best players.

CaBisonFan
10-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Illinois State plays in the best conference in D1AA. They dominated Youngstown on the road 2 weeks ago. Youngstown almost beat Northern Iowa last week and should have won. Northern Iowa is ranked #1/#2 in the country depending on which poll you look at.

These are all Gateway teams and anyone can win on any given week. There are no easy games and blowouts do not happen. When your the #1 team in the country you have a target on your back and teams always bring their A game. It's a TV game for Illinois State too so they will be fired up. Don't let their 4-5 record fool you. If they hadn't played #25 D1A Missouri they would be above .500!

This game will be decided in the 4th quarter and I predict we win by 3 points. We could lose too. I'm starting to sense some arrogance and that's when we get our asses handed to us.

As fans, we need to be at the top of our game and extra loud!! Oh, and don't forget it starts a 4!

You're absolutely correct. This is a worthy conversation. Thanks.

Bison06
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Being tied with UNI after 3 quarters=GREAT. I think that is a little strong. Great teams aren't made in one game, maybe UNI layed an egg that day. SUU was only down what 7 or 10 at halftime this week. Are they GREAT? I think this weekend will present it's own set of challenges just like every week, but I don't think that saying they played Youngstown tough however many weeks ago, should scare us.

Also, NDB2 I don't know why you quoted me and then proceeded to tell me that SDSU will be our toughest game, when I pretty much said the same thing in my post.

CaBisonFan
10-30-2007, 02:35 PM

I agree with you about SDSU. If we should beat ISU & Cal Poly...we'll be in for a dog fight at Brookings.

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 02:39 PM
With all due respect, there is no way this should be the toughest game of the year.

1. The Redbirds beat the Penguins by 5.
1a. With exception of last week's game, Youngstown State is having a horrible season (given their program's standards). 1-3 in conference, losses to some bad teams.

2. Illinois State lost their leading rusher last weekend-finishing with 64 rushing yards. I don't see how they more than double that output against the Bison. Without a balanced attack, I don't see how they beat us.

2a. Western Illinois handled them pretty easily in Normal. The Leathernecks were up 20-0 in the 4th quarter. I think we are as good as WIU, match up pretty well with their skills/style of play.

3. Any Given Saturday.

Bison by 10.

Ten is not a blowout so it's a fair prediction. Illinois State lost their leading rusher in the middle of the game and were not prepared. They will have a week to prepare. I won't dismiss Youngstown. 2 weeks ago could have been the start of a good run because they should have beat UNI last week. Bottom line: Good teams show up and anything can happen. These guys will be pumped up so I'm going with NDSU by 3.

Bison06
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Ten is not a blowout so it's a fair prediction. Illinois State lost their leading rusher in the middle of the game and were not prepared. They will have a week to prepare. I won't dismiss Youngstown. 2 weeks ago could have been the start of a good run because they should have beat UNI last week. Bottom line: Good teams show up and anything can happen. These guys will be pumped up so I'm going with NDSU by 3.

Fair enough.

tony
10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Illinois State is an unknown quantity so, sure, they could be the toughest game of the year (although if they play any tougher than SHSU then Bison lose and there go the bowl hopes :) ).

However, Cal Poly and SDSU are not unknown quantities - we know they are going to be tough (or we should know that).

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Being tied with UNI after 3 quarters=GREAT. I think that is a little strong. Great teams aren't made in one game, maybe UNI layed an egg that day. SUU was only down what 7 or 10 at halftime this week. Are they GREAT? I think this weekend will present it's own set of challenges just like every week, but I don't think that saying they played Youngstown tough however many weeks ago, should scare us.

Also, NDB2 I don't know why you quoted me and then proceeded to tell me that SDSU will be our toughest game, when I pretty much said the same thing in my post.

Why is everyone showing Youngstown no respect? Youngstown beat SDSU. Youngstown has lost 3 conference games (2 on the road) by a total of 13 points. They lost to #1 Ohio State.

I don't think anybody is giving Gateway teams enough respect and beating Youngstown is impressive. Hanging with UNI for 3 quarters is impressive. (comparing S Utah with Illinos St is an insult to Illinois St)

Did you know UNI started out 5-0 for the first time in like 10 years? There is a reason for that.

PantherHawk
10-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Youngstown sold everything they had to win this game...even the kitchen sink. They completely revised their O and D for this game so that nothing they showed UNI that day had been on film. It took 3 quarters for UNI to adjust. That said, Youngstown also only lost by 7 to Southern Il @ Carbondale.

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Youngstown sold everything they had to win this game...even the kitchen sink. They completely revised their O and D for this game so that nothing they showed UNI that day had been on film. It took 3 quarters for UNI to adjust. That said, Youngstown also only lost by 7 to Southern Il @ Carbondale.

Southern Illinois is a tough team. Aren't they currently ranked in the top ten? I think we lost to them by 3 points 2 years ago but we lost our QB in the 1st half.

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 03:02 PM
I agree with you about SDSU. If we should beat ISU & Cal Poly...we'll be in for a dog fight at Brookings.

Youngstown beat SDSU this year.

PantherHawk
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Southern Illinois is a tough team. Aren't they currently ranked in the top ten? I think we lost to them by 3 points 2 years ago but we lost our QB in the 1st half.
I believe they are 5-7 depending on the poll. I was @ the UNI/Southern Il game 2 weeks ago and I think they are top 5! Truthfully, they are the last team I want to see in the playoffs, however, I hope Montana draws their ass in the first round!!!!!

bisonmike2
10-30-2007, 03:16 PM

agreed. SDSU in Brookings, in mid November.

X-Factor
10-30-2007, 03:20 PM
NDSU lost to SIU 9-0 in Carbondale in 2005. That was the last time the Bison lost to an FCS team.

NDSU is very healthy right now. I love the sandbagging because you have to show every team respect, even SUU, but Bison by 24 in this one. Luke Drone is terribly inconsistent so who knows what he'll bring to the Dome. Some games he throws 2-3 picks, other games he does fairly well. He was on the Payton watch earlier this year but was dropped for obvious reasons. But one thing is for sure, Illinois State is going nowhere without a running game. I like Lardenois and Dallas to rough him up a few times on Saturday when they have no choice but to throw almost every down.

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I believe they are 5-7 depending on the poll. I was @ the UNI/Southern Il game 2 weeks ago and I think they are top 5! Truthfully, they are the last team I want to see in the playoffs, however, I hope Montana draws their ass in the first round!!!!!

Man I wish we were in the Gateway this year. I think we're going to see one hell of a rivaly between UNI and NDSU. Just like old NCC Days. (way before my time)

My gut tells me that every year it's going to be UNI, Montana, and NDSU in the playoffs which could take these rivalries to another level. Lots of history. Lots of talent.

semobison
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
UNI has not dominated the Gateway like Montana has the big Sky. There is a reason for this and its not because Montana is superior. The Gateway is tough! The conference schedule is referred to as The Gauntlet! Very seldom does someone emerge unscathed!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-30-2007, 08:13 PM

The Great West is not what it was last year....UC-Davis has been struggling, you got a SUU team that is 0-8....Cal-Poly is mediocre at best and same with SDSU, I don't know where you're getting that its one of the better conferences.

tjbison
10-30-2007, 08:30 PM
ISU isn't playing their best football at this point in the season, Poly and SDSU are. ISU will be good, but Bison prevail.

BisonNeil
10-31-2007, 12:38 AM
NDSU lost to SIU 9-0 in Carbondale in 2005. That was the last time the Bison lost to an FCS team.

NDSU is very healthy right now. I love the sandbagging because you have to show every team respect, even SUU, but Bison by 24 in this one. Luke Drone is terribly inconsistent so who knows what he'll bring to the Dome. Some games he throws 2-3 picks, other games he does fairly well. He was on the Payton watch earlier this year but was dropped for obvious reasons. But one thing is for sure, Illinois State is going nowhere without a running game. I like Lardenois and Dallas to rough him up a few times on Saturday when they have no choice but to throw almost every down.

Very healthy? Not according to Bohl on his radio show. If you call Roehl banged up but able to practice and may be able to go very healthy, then yes. If you call Mays not moving well because of a hip pointer and not able to practice a lot, then yes, we are very healthy. If you call Majeske out for the season, a back up WR who gets a lot of snaps and also runs back kicks and covers kicks, then yes, we are very healthy. Need I go on?

Bohl says we are razor thin in some areas such as DB and in players who play special teams. We have already lost a bunch of players, such as Bowman, whereas Ill St has lost them more recently. We are NOT very healthy, but we are okay.

This will be a tough game, this team plays tough on the road against ranked teams. The Bison won't be able to be flat in the first half against these guys.

BisonNeil
10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
The Great West is not what it was last year....UC-Davis has been struggling, you got a SUU team that is 0-8....Cal-Poly is mediocre at best and same with SDSU, I don't know where you're getting that its one of the better conferences.

Man, you are out to lunch. When you see SLOs WR who is 6'5" light it up against us, we'll see what you say. SDSU lost last when? Mediocre. Don't piss yourself to death with all the kool aid you're drinking.

X-Factor
10-31-2007, 02:39 AM
Very healthy? Not according to Bohl on his radio show. If you call Roehl banged up but able to practice and may be able to go very healthy, then yes. If you call Mays not moving well because of a hip pointer and not able to practice a lot, then yes, we are very healthy. If you call Majeske out for the season, a back up WR who gets a lot of snaps and also runs back kicks and covers kicks, then yes, we are very healthy. Need I go on?

Bohl says we are razor thin in some areas such as DB and in players who play special teams. We have already lost a bunch of players, such as Bowman, whereas Ill St has lost them more recently. We are NOT very healthy, but we are okay.

This will be a tough game, this team plays tough on the road against ranked teams. The Bison won't be able to be flat in the first half against these guys.

This is the fact of life playing football. We have been fortunate this year with injuries in that the few players that have been hurt also have competent backups. You wana talk injuries?? go chat with Cal Poly, UC Davis, Appalachian State, and Youngstown. They will tell you about injuries. We have nothing on any of those teams as far as injuries go. In that respect I consider us to be very healthy for this point in the season, yes. Both Roehl and Mays will be just fine this week. Hell, Roehl could have played last week but why take the risk against an 0-7 team when we have a ton of depth at the position?

X-Factor
10-31-2007, 02:43 AM
Man, you are out to lunch. When you see SLOs WR who is 6'5" light it up against us, we'll see what you say. SDSU lost last when? Mediocre. Don't piss yourself to death with all the kool aid you're drinking.

Yeah, Ramses Barden, light it up against us just like he did last year right?

The guy is easily the best WR in FCS, but he is the only thing that Cal Poly has at wideout

heckler
10-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Wasn't Wheelwright going to light us up too?

OldBison
10-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Biggest difference between Wheelwright and Barden is that Barden can catch the ball.

I don't recall anyone saying or even thinking that Ernie was going to smoke us, he has had one good game in his career, and it just happened to be the week before the Gophers played us against NW.

bisonmike2
10-31-2007, 05:55 PM

most success against us in the air can be attributed to blown assignments. Well minus the SHS game but that was all Bomar. Either way we have not been taken to the woodshed by a reciever in quite a while. That's the nature of our defense. It takes a great offensive performance from a team's QB, a guy that can both the run and pass accurately to have success against our team.

OldBison
10-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah, well, this from the Great West Conference website regarding Barden from SLO:

In the first year of the Great West Football Conference, Northern Colorado WR Vincent Jackson established receiving records not many thought would be broken for some time. Jackson parlayed his success at UNC into a prominent role with the San Diego Chargers. Well, the time for his records to be broken may be near. Cal Poly's Ramses Barden has already broken the Great West record for receiving TDs in a season with 15, and he is closing in on Jackson's mark for yards in a season. After his record-breaking 268-yard receiving day Saturday vs. Idaho State, the 6-6 junior now has 1,248 yards after eight games and he needs just 136 yards in his final three games to break Jackson's record.

And, we'll be playing SLO at their house, a place we have not played well in. Didn't I see someone refer to SLO and SDSU as "mediocre" in some other thread? Yeah, well, I think it is better to respect opponents, but that is likely because I am so old.

NDSUstudent
10-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Our toughest game of the year will be in Slo next week. CP has a solid squad this year and a win over us puts them into the playoffs. I'm sure they also remember last year quite well.

Scooter1
10-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Our toughest game of the year will be in Slo next week. CP has a solid squad this year and a win over us puts them into the playoffs. I'm sure they also remember last year quite well.

Exactly, NDSUstudent. I ran the numbers, looked at the stats, took home field into account and read the tea leaves. I just don't buy into the notion that this is going to be a close game. NDSU will win this game and they will win by more than two TD's. The Cal Poly game is the one that scares me. They are a different team at home and it is tough to win there.

tcbison
10-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Well, not that Coach Bohl has had many chances but he did mention he hasn't won at Cal Poly and SDSU before.

You could say that Illinois State will be the toughest home game of the season. NDSU could have put Sam Houston away when they were ahead 34-21 but the offense got pretty conservate and Bomar got on a roll.

90BISON
10-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Biggest difference between Wheelwright and Barden is that Barden can catch the ball.

I don't recall anyone saying or even thinking that Ernie was going to smoke us, he has had one good game in his career, and it just happened to be the week before the Gophers played us against NW.

Wheelwright can catch the ball, he just can't wrestle it away from a guy half his size:p I had plenty of old pals from the TC telling me what a all world receiver he was before we played them. They were all pretty quiet after the game was played.:D

BisonNeil
11-17-2007, 07:59 PM

So, smart guy, what do you have to say now? I thought your statement back then that "Cal-Poly is mediocre at best and same with SDSU" was moronic, but it is obvious you are nothing but a blow hard who knows far less about football than the average fan on this blog.

Crawl back to your hole!