PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State predictions

Scooter1
10-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Illinois State

Offense: The Redbirds lost half of their running game with the loss of Sophomore Geno Blow who broke a hand last week and is out for the rest of the season. This is going to put a kink their offensive plan. The Redbirds do have the ability to throw, yet All-conference QB Luke Drone has thrown almost as many interceptions as touchdowns. They score about 30 points a game but, I'd be surprised if they reach twenty against the Bison. Look for the Redbirds to throw the ball a lot due to Geno Blow's injury and the need to keep pace with a Bison offense that can score at will.

Defense: The Redbirds give up over 400 yards on average and almost 28 points a game. The lowest point total that they have allowed is 17 and that was against Indiana St (one of the worst teams in the FCS) I feel that they are undersized on the defensive line and are not going to be able to handle the Bison rushing game.

NDSU

Offense: Blincoe and Paschall filled in admirably last week for Roehl. Any doubts about the Bison offensive firepower in the absence of Roehl should be laid to rest. The best quarterback on the field will be Walker, and it won't even be close. The Bison Offensive line continues to dominate every opponent that they face. This will not change on Saturday.

Defense: A rested Joe Mays is going to be fun to watch on Saturday. Joe Lardinois is turning in all conference type play as of late and Matt Gratzek continues to impress. Once again, the Bison linebackers are going to be the best linebacking group that the Redbirds will face this year.

Significance A win against a good Gateway team is important. The Bison need to win this game by a bunch. Holding Roehl and Mays out of last week's contest may have been one of the best coaching moves that Bohl has made all year. If the Bison are to catch UNI in the polls they are going to have to win this game big. A completely healthy Roehl and Mays make a blowout a real possibility. (remember, this team got killed by W Illinois last week. 2 fourth quarter TD's made this one closer on the scoreboard than it really was) The Cal Poly head coach is dead on when he stated that NDSU is the best team in the FCS this year and "it isn't even close" This game is going to show that fact.

Score Prediction NDSU 45 Illinois State 10

Mr_Meanor
10-30-2007, 02:01 AM
I don't know if I would go as far to say its not even close. I think UNI/NDSU would be a very hard fought battle. I think it would go down to the wire if they would play each other. UNI has a very good team as well.

No_Skill
10-30-2007, 02:04 AM
75% NDSU blows out Ill St.
15% NDSU wins close game
10% Ill St. wins close game
0% Ill St. blows out NDSU

SDbison
10-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Bison will win, enough said.

Scooter1
10-30-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't know if I would go as far to say its not even close. I think UNI/NDSU would be a very hard fought battle. I think it would go down to the wire if they would play each other. UNI has a very good team as well.

That's what the Cal Poly coach stated, I was just trying to make a point that it isn't just Bison fans that think NDSU is the best in the country at this point.

99Bison
10-30-2007, 05:57 AM
42-17 for the Bison.

WYOBISONMAN
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Bison by 17...............

NDSU1980
10-30-2007, 01:09 PM
34-17 green

PantherHawk
10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Illinois State

Offense: The Redbirds lost half of their running game with the loss of Sophomore Geno Blow who broke a hand last week and is out for the rest of the season. This is going to put a kink their offensive plan. The Redbirds do have the ability to throw, yet All-conference QB Luke Drone has thrown almost as many interceptions as touchdowns. They score about 30 points a game but, I'd be surprised if they reach twenty against the Bison. Look for the Redbirds to throw the ball a lot due to Geno Blow's injury and the need to keep pace with a Bison offense that can score at will.

Defense: The Redbirds give up over 400 yards on average and almost 28 points a game. The lowest point total that they have allowed is 17 and that was against Indiana St (one of the worst teams in the FCS) I feel that they are undersized on the defensive line and are not going to be able to handle the Bison rushing game.

NDSU

Offense: Blincoe and Paschall filled in admirably last week for Roehl. Any doubts about the Bison offensive firepower in the absence of Roehl should be laid to rest. The best quarterback on the field will be Walker, and it won't even be close. The Bison Offensive line continues to dominate every opponent that they face. This will not change on Saturday.

Defense: A rested Joe Mays is going to be fun to watch on Saturday. Joe Lardinois is turning in all conference type play as of late and Matt Gratzek continues to impress. Once again, the Bison linebackers are going to be the best linebacking group that the Redbirds will face this year.

Significance A win against a good Gateway team is important. The Bison need to win this game by a bunch. Holding Roehl and Mays out of last week's contest may have been one of the best coaching moves that Bohl has made all year. If the Bison are to catch UNI in the polls they are going to have to win this game big. A completely healthy Roehl and Mays make a blowout a real possibility. (remember, this team got killed by W Illinois last week. 2 fourth quarter TD's made this one closer on the scoreboard than it really was) The Cal Poly head coach is dead on when he stated that NDSU is the best team in the FCS this year and "it isn't even close" This game is going to show that fact.

Score Prediction NDSU 45 Illinois State 10

"The Cal Poly head coach is dead on when he stated that NDSU is the best team in the FCS this year and "it isn't even close" This game is going to show that fact."

Guess I missed the UNI/Cal Poly game this year?

extremerouge
10-30-2007, 01:34 PM
45-13 Bison

Scooter1
10-30-2007, 01:47 PM
"The Cal Poly head coach is dead on when he stated that NDSU is the best team in the FCS this year and "it isn't even close" This game is going to show that fact."

Guess I missed the UNI/Cal Poly game this year?

Wow, I honestly didn't think it would take that long to get a response from you, PH...

I think they played while you were typing all that Gopher bashing crap... you must have missed it.:)

Everyone on this board knows that UNI would be a very good game. Lighten up, would ya?

HerdBot
10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
This will be a close game that we could lose.

These guys beat Youngstown and were tied with Northern Iowa after 3 quarters. They are a Gateway team and a solid one. We're #1 in the country so we have a target on our backs. It's a TV game for them too.

NDSU 27
Illinois State 24

If anyone thinks we're going to win by 3 TD's, I applaud your support but it aint gonna happen. We could easily lose this game. Even with the running back out. I hope I'm wrong.

PantherHawk
10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Wow, I honestly didn't think it would take that long to get a response from you, PH...

I think they played while you were typing all that Gopher bashing crap... you must have missed it.:)

Everyone on this board knows that UNI would be a very good game. Lighten up, would ya?

Not trying to be "heavy!" If the Cal Poly made coach made that statement is would be ridiculous considering he has not played the other top programs in FCS so I thought I needed to add my 2 cents.

Here is another FCS friendly site:

http://www.fullysports.com/football1aa/2007/npi

Good luck Sat remaining injury free.........I don't think you need any [luck] regarding the score! :)

extremerouge
10-30-2007, 02:02 PM
judging by that "power index" Montana has had a stronger schedule strength than NDSU has...That right there makes me question the credibility of that poll...of course it is just my opinion but I believe our SOS is a bit better than montana's...

PantherHawk
10-30-2007, 02:20 PM
judging by that "power index" Montana has had a stronger schedule strength than NDSU has...That right there makes me question the credibility of that poll...of course it is just my opinion but I believe our SOS is a bit better than montana's...
I think they give extra weight to the winning % of the opponents. MT's are @ 38% and NDSU's are @ 33%.

extremerouge
10-30-2007, 02:24 PM
i hate the argument of looking at opponents records! take suu for example. yeah they aren't a very good team, but they play one of the toughest schedules in the FCS. if they played a schedule like say San Diego maybe they would have some more wins...

PantherHawk
10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
i hate the argument of looking at opponents records! take suu for example. yeah they aren't a very good team, but they play one of the toughest schedules in the FCS. if they played a schedule like say San Diego maybe they would have some more wins...
Or a team like SDSU who is what, 10 points away from being a top 10-15 team?!

EagleBison
10-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Ndsu 41, Isu 27

90BISON
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Bison 42 - 17. It'll be close the first quarter or so, but the Bison will be up for this game, especially the seniors, unlike the SUU game. I agree with one of the other previous posts that resting Mays & Roehl was a great move as well as having a fairly easy game for the rest of the team last week. They should all be ready to go.:D

NDSUstudent
10-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Last home game for Mays and Walker...Bison by 17

fargocyclone
10-30-2007, 03:38 PM
24-17...ndsu

rdh701
10-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Bison 44 - Birds 21

heckler
10-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Bison 42 Red 17

Tatanka
10-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Bison 84 Ditka 3

TAILG8R
10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Redbirds - 23
Bohl's Boys - 38

THEsocalledfan
10-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Bison 84 Ditka 3

Rep points to you! Anyone who remembers the Super Fans on SNL is pretty cool in my book.

onbison09
10-30-2007, 10:52 PM
84-3????????????? Herd 24 Cards 14.

Da_Bison
10-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Good guys 44
Redbirds 14

NDSUFan_Sav
10-31-2007, 08:43 AM
31-17 Bison.....Hope i'm wrong and its 50+ bison to 0, shut out would be nice for the seniors last home game.

Are there any other stats Walker can beat as far as a QB???

heckler
10-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Football Gamplan Predictions:

http://www.footballgameplan.com/fcs-division-i-aa-predictions

Here is the email he sent me back after I wrote one to him:

Thanks Aaron! I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves in the Metrodome. I played in that stadium when I was in college and it can get pretty loud in there!!! App State has some injury/confidence concerns. They haven't been the same team since they lost to Wofford.

You know what...that is a GREAT idea with the "Upset Pick of the Week". I will take you up on your suggestion and put that into the predictions every week from here on..

I really think you guys might put up 60 points on SUU...I know I would, but coach has some class and will definitely call off the dogs when the score starts to get out of hand.

Thanks again for the kind words about Football Gameplan. As we continue to grow, we will continue to get better.

P.S. - If you have any other suggestions on ways that we can improve our site, please let me know.

Enjoy the game!!!

Emory Hunt
Director of Scouting
Football Gameplan
office: (504) 251-7993
fax: (973) 230-3906

BisManBison
10-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Rep points to you! Anyone who rem rs the Super Fans on SNL is pretty cool in my book.

:rofl: Ditka catches a field goal late?

Game prediction:

NDSU: 42
Illinois State: 17

CarringtonBison
10-31-2007, 09:42 PM
NDSU 45
ILL St 24

Will be close until the third when we get a couple of scores to pull ahead more comfortably. I have an uneasy feeling about this one, though.

Bison"FANatic"
10-31-2007, 10:04 PM
I am not to worried about this one.
31-17.

The next two have me a bit more concerned.

Gully
10-31-2007, 10:29 PM
This may be a bad thing but I'm more confident about this game than several others we've already played. 44-13 Herd.

UTH
10-31-2007, 10:55 PM
I'll bite.

Bison victory: 35-14.

X-Factor
11-01-2007, 08:08 PM
48-20 Bison

Da_Bison
11-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Sat 11/3 605 Illinois State +18 -115
5:00PM (EST) 606 North Dakota State -18 -115

line is from 5Dimes.com

NDSUstudent
11-02-2007, 04:49 PM
NDSU(8-0) vs Illinois State(4-5)

Why Watch- Illinois State is from the always tough Gateway conference and has beaten some decent teams in Youngstown and Eastern Illinios. They have some players in QB Luke Drone and LB Kyle Stewart. Anytime a Great West team and Gateway team hooks up it should be a fun game to see.

Why Ill State Might Win- Illinois State may be 4-5 but they have some talent and have taken some tough teams down to the wire and even beat a few of them. They can get you with the run or pass, which makes them tough to stop. QB Luke Drone was a preseason Payton Award candidate, he sturggled early on but now has seemed to pick his play up.

Why NDSU Might Win- The Bison are rolling and even had the opportunity to rest both Joe Mays and Tyler Roehl last week to get them ready to take on what should be a very tough 3 game stretch. If anyone watched Roehl on the sideline last week you could tell he was dieing to get into the game so this week I'm sure he can't wait to take out some of his frustrations on a few Redbirds. This game will also be the last home game for the likes of Steve Walker and Joe Mays. Neither will want to end their careers on a sour note in front of the Fargo faithful and that will make NDSU even tougher to beat at home where they have won 12 straight games.

Prediction- I think Illinois State will hang tough for a while but in the end the Bison offense will prove to be too much for Ill State to handle. I also think the Redbirds will have a tough time running the ball without Geno Blow. Even though Luke Drone is solid I don't think he can beat NDSU without a solid running game. NDSU 38 Ill St 21

Other Great West games....
UCD 24 Sac State 14
Cal Poly 45 SUU 13
SDSU 31 UCA 24

More info on my blog if you want to check it out(link below)

NDSUstudent
11-02-2007, 05:17 PM
CSN Prediction...

No. 2 North Dakota State over Illinois State

Speaking of inconsistency, consider Illinois State. Just as it seemed like the Redbirds’ season was over, quarterback Luke Drone and runningback Geno Blow combined to upset Youngstown State’s playoff chances with a 27-22 victory… and promptly reverted to the ineffective offense the following week in a 27-14 loss to Western Illinois. The undefeated Bison seem like the wrong team for the Redbirds to rediscover their winning ways agains, especially with safety Nick Schommer patrolling the Bison secondary. My prediction: Drone tosses at least three interceptions, and the Bison stay undefeated.

“Al Gore Really Won In Florida” 47, Gored Birds 16

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...rticleid=88694

NDSUstudent
11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Sports Network Prediction..

Illinois State (4-5) at No. 2 North Dakota State (8-0)

North Dakota State gets another interesting test, playing another Gateway team a year before joining the league. NDSU led 21-14 against winless Southern Utah late in the second quarter, before a late field goal in the first half and 28 points in the third period broke the game open. The Bison defense came up big with four interceptions, and held SUU to 57 yards rushing in 30 attempts. Pat Paschall had 19 catches for 105 yards and two TDs, and Pete Blinco added 11 receptions for 84 yards and two more TDs to lead the offense. NDSU is expecting to have Buchanan Award candidate LB Joe Mays (58 tackles) and Payton Award candidate RB Tyler Roehl (1,013 yards rushing, 14 TDs) back after each was rested last week with minor injuries. The biggest challenge for the Illinois State defense will be stopping Roehl and the Bison running game. The Redbirds rank 100th nationally in rushing defense and have allowed 206 yards per game on the ground. QB Luke Drone has passed for 548 yards in the past two games in a return to last year's form. But the Redbirds lost RB Geno Blow (776 yards, eight TDs) for the season with a knee injury. Rafael Rice (752 yards, six TDs) is still in the lineup, however. ISU averages 30 points per game, but faces a NDSU defense that has given up just 20 points a contest. If ISU can get a turnover-free performance from Drone and can control NDSU on the ground, the Redbirds have a chance for an upset. But those are two difficult tasks.

North Dakota State 28, Illinois State 21

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4110499.htm

cbline
11-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Boy, if they are rank 100th in run defense, sounds like the Bison have another opportunity to control the line of scrimmage. The variety of running styles of our three backs (and keeping their legs fresh with rotating them through) might keep Illinois State back on their heels.

X-Factor
11-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Donaldson ran for 249 yards against Illinois State last week. If Roehl is 100% he will put up numbers like that as well as long as the game doesn't get out of hand and they have to put him on the bench.

Tatanka
11-03-2007, 04:21 PM
:hungry: The only thing that will stop the Bison running game today is the back of the end zone. :hungry:

UTH
11-03-2007, 11:30 PM
:hungry: The only thing that will stop the Bison running game today is the back of the end zone. :hungry:

I think you might be on to something here...

99Bison
11-04-2007, 02:07 AM
This will be a close game that we could lose.

These guys beat Youngstown and were tied with Northern Iowa after 3 quarters. They are a Gateway team and a solid one. We're #1 in the country so we have a target on our backs. It's a TV game for them too.

NDSU 27
Illinois State 24

If anyone thinks we're going to win by 3 TD's, I applaud your support but it aint gonna happen. We could easily lose this game. Even with the running back out. I hope I'm wrong.

So ahhh...??? and the actual score was a bit closer than the game in reality.