PDA

View Full Version : Depth, Depth and more Depth!

WYOBISONMAN
10-28-2007, 03:12 PM
While having some difficulty accepting those two long SUU passed that burned our secondary, I was struck by the fact that I have never seen such depth in the Bison football program in any previous season. We had two of our most valuable players riding the sidelines and yet put a hell of a pasting on an underrated SUU team. Many of us wonder about injuries, what will happen when particular players graduate, is there life after Steve Walker. I think that the SUU game showed all the Bison faithful that there is indeed a future and it is bright.

Next season is surely full of unkowns, Walker gone, Mays gone, Safe gone, LeKang gone, Drago gone...and so on. But, for this fan, I found a lot of reassurance that the Bison will be a major power next year and on into the future. The SUU game was a real look at the future and that future was bright. My biggest hope for next year is that Craig Bohl is a part of that future. Although, I would surely wish him the very best if he chose to make a move.

tony
10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
I sure have liked the way the backup linebackers have played: Tyler Henry, Matt Anderson, and Matt Kittelson... not to mention Eddie Beson will be coming off his redshirt season.

It'll be interesting to see how the new guys come together next year.

jeffdaryl3rd
10-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I really like what I've seen of Henry and Anderson, but what really excites me is Mertens. I have only seen him attempt a handful of passes, but he has a big time arm, the ball just jumps out of his hand.

X-Factor
10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
I really like what I've seen of Henry and Anderson, but what really excites me is Mertens. I have only seen him attempt a handful of passes, but he has a big time arm, the ball just jumps out of his hand.

This is another remote area player that Minnesota was stupid not to offer a scholarship too. IMO he would be starting for Goldy this year.

BisManBison
10-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Several friends and myself were at yesterday's game and were fortunate enough to run into Coach Polasek after the game. We talked to him about all things Bison football for about an hour. I'll leave it at this, the cupboard is well stocked! So let's enjoy the rest of this year knowing the good times should continue in the future.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Gully
10-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Several friends and myself were at yesterday's game and were fortunate enough to run into Coach Polasek after the game. We talked to him about all things Bison football for about an hour. I'll leave it at this, the cupboard is well stocked! So let's enjoy the rest of this year knowing the good times should continue in the future.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Pardon my ignorance but who is Coach Polasek?

jeffdaryl3rd
10-29-2007, 12:49 AM
This is another remote area player that Minnesota was stupid not to offer a scholarship too. IMO he would be starting for Goldy this year.

Weber would definitely have started the year, but he would have gotten in there at some point.

BisManBison
10-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Pardon my ignorance but who is Coach Polasek?

He is the runningbacks coach. Here's a link to his bio on Go.Bison.com:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11843&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=867387&Q_SEASON=2007

90BISON
10-29-2007, 02:28 AM
While having some difficulty accepting those two long SUU passed that burned our secondary, I was struck by the fact that I have never seen such depth in the Bison football program in any previous season. We had two of our most valuable players riding the sidelines and yet put a hell of a pasting on an underrated SUU team. Many of us wonder about injuries, what will happen when particular players graduate, is there life after Steve Walker. I think that the SUU game showed all the Bison faithful that there is indeed a future and it is bright.

Next season is surely full of unkowns, Walker gone, Mays gone, Safe gone, LeKang gone, Drago gone...and so on. But, for this fan, I found a lot of reassurance that the Bison will be a major power next year and on into the future. The SUU game was a real look at the future and that future was bright. My biggest hope for next year is that Craig Bohl is a part of that future. Although, I would surely wish him the very best if he chose to make a move.

Quite frankly, I think we are going to be scarey good next year, as hard as it is to believe maybe better than this year. Yea, Walker will be missed as well as Mays, but it is the same thing that was thought about Bentrim, Simdorn, Satter, Dick, Hansen, etc...... The depth we seem to have right now, with the exception of D-secondary is what makes this team scarey. IMO if Mertens can get a few more games under his belt he would actually be more dangerous than Walker because of his mobility.:nod:

99Bison
10-29-2007, 02:56 AM
Quite frankly, I think we are going to be scarey good next year, as hard as it is to believe maybe better than this year. Yea, Walker will be missed as well as Mays, but it is the same thing that was thought about Bentrim, Simdorn, Satter, Dick, Hansen, etc...... The depth we seem to have right now, with the exception of D-secondary is what makes this team scarey. IMO if Mertens can get a few more games under his belt he would actually be more dangerous than Walker because of his mobility.:nod:

He also has more of a rifle arm. The "gamer" in him is really the biggest question right now... just simply from not having been in games enough.

UTH
10-29-2007, 03:03 AM
He also has more of a rifle arm. The "gamer" in him is really the biggest question right now... just simply from not having been in games enough.

What you said.

CaBisonFan
10-29-2007, 03:11 AM

Good analysis. I totally agree.

Hammersmith
10-29-2007, 06:10 AM
McFeely column on the topic:

NDSU finds way to victory despite lacking its stars (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=182091&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely)

extremerouge
10-29-2007, 06:22 AM
wow. that was a good article from feely