PDA

View Full Version : #1 Sports team in North Dakota

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
10-25-2007, 03:39 PM
NDSU Football or UND Hockey

Looks like there is some debate.

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9338

In my mind there is no question that NDSU Football has passed UND Hockey.

NDFAN2
10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
In my prospective, I don't know why there needs to be competition between these two sports. Generally, both put North Dakota in a postive light nationwide. Let's work together and make North Dakota GREAT!

BisonBabe
10-25-2007, 03:48 PM
In my prospective, I don't know why there needs to be competition between these two sports. Generally, both put North Dakota in a postive light nationwide. Let's work together and make North Dakota GREAT!

Well put. These are two sports where our local boys are able to showcase their talent on a national platform.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
10-25-2007, 03:53 PM

I couldnt agree more, but there will always be a debate about the popularity of sports. Not just in ND, but nationwide there is always polls and debates about which sports or teams are the most popular.

CaBisonFan
10-25-2007, 04:09 PM
NDSU Football or UND Hockey

Looks like there is some debate.

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9338

In my mind there is no question that NDSU Football has passed UND Hockey.

In my opinion, both schools can have their flagship program. I'd rather not see SU get into the DI hockey business. Let UND have that. I can support UND hockey with no problem. I'll even cheer for them in the playoffs, Frozen Four, etc.

But mostly, the argument is irrelevant.

NDSUguy
10-25-2007, 04:16 PM
even though i'm a huge NDSU guy, I believe that UND hockey is bigger in the state than NDSU....

Shawn-O
10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Sioux hockey is a blast, and I love coming back for the games. That being said, there's probably more national notoriety to be gained with a successful basketball program with conference tourney championship games and March Madness regional games. That's where I'd focus if I were NDSU. I also look forward to UND rebuilding the basketball program and becoming competitive once again (it's critical as part of the transition, IMO.)

cbline
10-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I think that Bison football vs. Sioux hockey is "apples to oranges". They each have their respective places in people's minds around the region.

WYOBISONMAN
10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
For most people it would depend on what sport you enjoy more.....football or hockey. I think for most people it is football. Hockey is still somewhat of a regional sport in North Dakota.....not near the passion for hockey that is seen in Minnesota.

Ferd
10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
I root for Sioux Hockey, I root for Sioux football (but not when they're playing the Bison, I root for Sioux Basketball (both men's and women's).

I root and ATTEND Bison football, Basketball, Volleyball, and Baseball.

I try to remember that is the players on the field/court that determine the winner. I enjoy watching them perform and display their prowess. I want them all to be successful. I just feel better after the game if the Bison win because I feel like I know the men or women playing.

Hockey doesn't compete with football.
Basketball doesn't compete with Volleyball.
Scheduling only occasionally causes me to chose one over the other.

Heavens, I even been known to attend Minot or Dickinson State games!

They're all enjoyable in their own way. I appreciate North Dakota athletes striving to do and be the best they can.

All this "mine is bigger than yours" stuff is sophomoric.

mebisonII
10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't believe I've ever seen 10 consecutive intelligent posts on this topic. I feel like I should say something inflammatory just to get things to the status quo.

Hockey fans all know UND obviously. Not all football fans know about NDSU. Definately a question of audience. I'm not a big fan of NDSU adding hockey either...I agree with MBB being a good opportunity to put us in the national (or at least large regional) map.

Tatanka
10-25-2007, 05:04 PM
I enjoy Bison Football, Bison Basketball, and yes, Sioux hockey (I love the sport, I don't care for the school or their administration). When scheduling makes me decide between these, the order listed above is the order of preference.

rdh701
10-25-2007, 05:15 PM
I root for Sioux Hockey, I root for Sioux football (but not when they're playing the Bison, I root for Sioux Basketball (both men's and women's).

I root and ATTEND Bison football, Basketball, Volleyball, and Baseball.

I try to remember that is the players on the field/court that determine the winner. I enjoy watching them perform and display their prowess. I want them all to be successful. I just feel better after the game if the Bison win because I feel like I know the men or women playing.

Hockey doesn't compete with football.
Basketball doesn't compete with Volleyball.
Scheduling only occasionally causes me to chose one over the other.

Heavens, I even been known to attend Minot or Dickinson State games!

They're all enjoyable in their own way. I appreciate North Dakota athletes striving to do and be the best they can.

All this "mine is bigger than yours" stuff is sophomoric.

Thanks for the perspective, you have summarized very well my thoughts. I'm a fan of all the athletic activities that exhibit North Dakota in a positive light. If I can figure out the rep points thing, I'll do it.

NDSUstudent
10-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Both schools play in first class facilities, have a very storied history, and have support that is at the top of their sport. I say they are both about equal and the state should be thankful to have two programs of this caliber located within its borders.

RedRiver
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
The fact that the N.D. NBC network has decided to televise another Bison football game (Ill. St.) demonstrates just how much broad support there is for Bison football across the state. They wouldn't be adding a TV game this late in the season unless the viewers are out there.

Bison_Pride
10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds like someone is jealous of the national exposure. Someday hockey will get their highlights, as soon as ESPN III premiers.

SlickVic
10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
hockey sucks...went to high school with brian lee top 10 NHL pick and i was in gym classes with him and chris vandevelde every year...i've had gym classes at ndsu with tyler roehl, ramon, shultenover, maresh, shamen, and jamar aka the future champ...you put ndsu football players in the weight room,a boxing ring or any athletic compitition with lee and vadevelde and you'll clearly see that the far superior atheletes in the state of north dakota play in the fabulous fargodome

RodentiaX
10-25-2007, 07:42 PM
College hockey fans may know UND, but there are a lot more college football fans out there than there are college hockey fans. UND's move to D-I will increase the number of D-I schools playing D-I hockey by about 3%.

BlueKeyAlum
10-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Both schools play in first class facilities, have a very storied history, and have support that is at the top of their sport. I say they are both about equal and the state should be thankful to have two programs of this caliber located within its borders.

Yup! Back in the 80s..most of my Bison chums were big time into Bison sports but HUGE UND Hockey fans.

And I can't count the number of times when I have told people that I went to NDSU and they said, hey, you guys have a great hockey team!!

Jdubs21
10-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah this would be a dumb debate...I am not a UND fan at all, but if they are ever on tv or somethin and they arent playing the bison i am hoping they win. Mainly because i support all the local teams and really take pride in our North Dakota athletics, and lately they have really been making us proud :D

bisonbuddy
10-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I will pay for a Bison Football ticket. I will only go to a Sioux Hockey game if the ticket is free.

stpaulbison
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I will pay for a Bison Football ticket. I will only go to a Sioux Hockey game if the ticket is free.

Well that's because you can get a good seat for a reasonable price. Do you know how many cheapo's would be complaining if ticket prices went up to match UND hockey ticket prices? And I think that would only be like $15 more. Plus, good luck purchasing a hockey ticket, the arena sits 11,640 and they sellout nearly every game, which is like 20 home games. With the exception of a few games this season, we still have people walking up to the Fargodome on gameday expecting to get a $10 GA seat. Seriously though, who cares about which sport is bigger in the state. Just cheer for the team you like and leave the other alone. It is such a waste of time going back and forth between football and hockey. I'm putting my vote for best sport in the Class B basketball corner because there is never a bad stretch of seasons, the tournament is always good.

Boy
10-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Growing up, for me it was Bison FB, Bison BB, and Sioux Hockey. Even after attending UND for a year, and having a wife an an Alum, today it is still Bison FB, Bison BB and Sioux hockey. I have purchased and been given tickets to all three, so that is relative. Hockey is the king if you are from GF or Grafton, or Park River. FB is king if you are from anywhere else in ND!

I can name way more Bison BB and FB players from when I was a kid than I can Sioux hockey players!!

The only downtime I had as a Bison FB fan from when Don Morton put them on my map when I was 10 years old, was the last few years of Hager, and I never was a big Bob Babich fan.

bisonmike2
10-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I have to go to a hockey game to have fun and enjoy it otherwise I get bored and don't pay attention to it. 1 - 0 insurmountable leads do nothing for me. I'd rather go to a football game in person but I can also get some enjoyment by watching it on TV.

WYOBISONMAN
10-25-2007, 09:17 PM

Well put......

DORMIE
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
This is a pissing contest that will never end. The only problem I have with UND Hockey is that they have $20 million complex with no parking. If you don't have a parking pass because you're a big shot, you have to park over by the old football stadium. 20 below and waiting for a bus just doesn't cut it for me. They take about 100 acres that should have been a super parking lot and turn it into a strip mall. It's all about the money!!!

onbison09
10-25-2007, 10:24 PM

And I can't count the number of times when I have told people that I went to NDSU and they said, hey, you guys have a great hockey team!!
That happens all of the time to me to when I say I'm a NDSU fan. I am a Gopher hockey fan, notice the HOCKEY. The only reason I became a Gopher fan b/c of all of their games are on and I wanted to disagree with my friends. For that reason I cheer against the Sioux. And some of the fans are A-Holes when you cheer for the other team at the Ralph. I can't count how many dirty looks I got at one game. Not saying that is representative of all the fans.

ndsubison1
10-25-2007, 11:25 PM
yeah I hate siouxsports.com - Homer central over there...

1bizon1
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Well, well put! Some people just don't get it and have to keep bring "them" up on this board. If I want to read about "them" I will go their website. IMHO I wish "them" well but I never want to play "them" again in any sport, ever! I am not scared of losing. I am tired of the name calling.

4mcruenomore
10-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Football rules where I come from. Where I grew up (SW ND) Hockey didn't exist, but we had big time football teams and players, so to me, UND Hockey is a bunch of minnesota kids displaced. But I give UND credit, they have a good program. On the other hand, WE have a great football program and history. I prefer football, but like someone else said, its comparing apples to oranges. What makes me mad, is UND alum. comparing UND FB to Bison FB, NO comparison there, and I will argue til the end IMMFO.

HerdBot
10-26-2007, 05:35 AM
Football rules where I come from. Where I grew up (SW ND) Hockey didn't exist, but we had big time football teams and players, so to me, UND Hockey is a bunch of minnesota kids displaced. But I give UND credit, they have a good program. On the other hand, WE have a great football program and history. I prefer football, but like someone else said, its comparing apples to oranges. What makes me mad, is UND alum. comparing UND FB to Bison FB, NO comparison there, and I will argue til the end IMMFO.

I love football. I can't name more than 10 NHL players. Hell I don't think I can name more than 20 NFL teams. Let me try...

Minny WIld
Dallas stars
Buffalo Sabers
Phily Flyers
Detroit Redwings
Chicago blackhawks
colorado ave
ny rangers
ny islanders
edmonton toilers
quebec nordiqes
toronto maple leaves
name more but I"d have to think really hard and long.

Now name 10 other teams in the WCHA
UND
Minnesota
Colorado
DUluth
that's all i can do.

But I can name the backup qb of every nfl team. How many of you do a fantasy hockey league? What sport is relevant?

4mcruenomore
10-26-2007, 05:42 AM
In the top 20 DI college hockey, name the schools that have DII football??? That will make you laugh even more.