PDA

View Full Version : How good will our offense be next year?

HerdBot
10-24-2007, 03:56 PM
since we will be eligible next year, anyone want to speculate how good our offense will be?

Returning...

RUNNINGBACKS
Roehl
Paschall
Blincoe
* McNorton may play *

TIGHTENDS
Should be loaded with Wurzbacher returning. Thor Brown looked to be the man against the Gophers and we got the 6'7'' Veldman next year

FULLBACKS
Jangula returns

WIDEOUTS
Heckendorf and Belquist return. Shamen returns. Gary WIlliams looked great i nhis only game thus far.

OFFENSIVE LINE (the most important part)
It's strange because last year I though we were screwed with the players we lost on our o-line. We'll be losing 3 starters in Safe, Lekang, and Wagner but Foster almost plays as much as a starter so we're losing 2 full time starters. the key will be replacing the all important LT spot. Austin Richard is supposed to be the man so let's see. THis is a deep unit so we will be in good shape.

QB
Steve Walker is the biggest loss. But when you can run the ball like we can I feeel good about Mertens being our starter. He ran for 45 TD's in high school so I don't t hink we realize how good the guy is. COuld this give us anohter dimention? The West Coast is designed to have a mobile QB. Mertens was responsible for 56 TD"s as a sr (36 pass - 20 rush) If he can get some playing time this year than I think he will be better next year.

OVERALL
We could be pretty good on offense next year. Possibly better. It all depends on the LT and QB spot.

GrebdNodak
10-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Don't underestimate the leadership and low turnovers that we have received from Mr. Walker. We've been pretty spoiled.

Mertens is a stud athlete, but that doesn't necessarily make him the same field general that Walker has been.

mn_bison_
10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
A few additions to the list...

RB: We also have Voightlander, who could be another Roehl type RB. 205# before RS year, a lot of muscle could be added to his frame... (Also, is Brower still a RB or was he back on the defense?)

FB: Lee Vandal has played well this year. He is used in the fullhouse backfield package and is only a RSF.

WR: Holloway and Krueger are a couple of taller WR who are redshirting this year. Schultenover is a TD machine also returning (3 receptions, 2 TD's)

OldBison
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I agree we should have some O next year. The development of Mertens in spring ball will be important, and LT. Bohl's comments on one of the talk in shows about the lack of development in some of the OL backups, outside of Septak and Foster, is a bit disconcerting, but probably nothing spring ball can't fix.

So, the bottom line, I think the O should be fine with the returning starters and the players next in line to start. However...

The biggest question for me is who will back up Mertens next year? When you see Walker get hit, you know we are but a play away from having Mertens in the game, and he is very capable if not inexperienced. Next year, if Mertens gets hurt we are one play away from whom? Ans: Brecke. I am not dissing him, but he has NO experience, and he is 5'11" in high heels, not much passing lane for him behind a line 6'4" or better. The lack of a QB recruit the past two years leaves a huge hole that concerns me a lot. I hope Bohl et al are looking at the JUCO route to fill in their recruiting gaps.

bisonmike2
10-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Best way to introduce a new QB is to surround him with depth and experience in the other offensive positions and that's exactly what we'll do next year. Mertens won't be able to replace Walker, that's impossible, but there's no doubt he has the athletic skills to win. Walker is an all-time QB who made great decisions and displayed great leadership. I agree with OldBison. We will need more depth at QB, juco/tranfer/recruit, doesn't matter just get some more depth there.

aces1180
10-24-2007, 05:05 PM
It could be assumed that Mertens will get some good experience in this weekend's game against SUU.

Let's hope he can play the second half again.

OldBison
10-24-2007, 05:38 PM
It could be assumed that Mertens will get some good experience in this weekend's game against SUU.

Let's hope he can play the second half again.

I hope Mertens gets some time also, but I question it. First, SUU is not that bad, they played Youngstown, Montana St tough. Yes, they lost to Montana by 20, S Ill by 34, McNeese St by 21 and UND by 27; but ask yourself this, how many of these games would Bohl have played a second string QB? Last year we won by 24 pts, and no second stringers saw the field that I remember, esp. QB. So, in the aforementioned games SUU has played this year, in maybe one of them, the S. Ill game, Bohl would have played Mertens. It's just not his style to play second stringers before the game is basically done.

So, while I hope Mertens will play, I am not hopeful.

X-Factor
10-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Next year's offense is loaded.

Only two question marks I see on offense:
1. Left Tackle. Safe is very good and we need someone to work HARD in the offseason to fill this gap SOLID. Maybe Buckman will move over? Maybe Arnt will improve his technique? IMO Arnt is huge and physically ready for the position but lacks the skills. Right now Arnt is actually listed as a guard which is kind of surprising as he was backing up Safe earlier this year. Things have been very quiet for Colorado transfer Backowski. The guy started a few games for the Buffs as a redshirt freshman, you would think he could at least crack the 2 deep for the Bison next year. OT Gerry Ebel has been playing some this fall as well. Another possibility for depth next year is Wellenstein but he has no playing experience. Someone mentioned Austin Richard, but he will be a guard, not a tackle. This is another player the Gophers missed out on HUGE. Our RB's are going to love Richard. He pulls like no other and he is only a freshman right now.

2. Backup QB. I have complete confidence that Mertens is going to be a great QB for the Bison, but we have very little behind him. I am hoping Bohl goes out and picks up a JUCO or BCS transfer to give some competition to Mertens and fill in the depth chart. Still havnt seen Parsons throw a pass yet....and the way it looks that probably wont change.

All in all, I think the offense is going to be at least as good as this year and probably much better if that is possible considering we are putting up 40 points a game. Tons of depth at most positions, and experience and talent across the board. Mertens is walking into almost the ideal situation for a new QB.

Bison_Backer
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Coach Perles and Vigen told me were going to back to the split back veer next year and reviving the 80's and 90's. Tony Sater will be coach Qb's next year and Vigen is moving to Tight ends.

TransAmBison
10-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Coach Perles and Vigen told me were going to back to the split back veer next year and reviving the 80's and 90's. Tony Sater will be coach Qb's next year and Vigen is moving to Tight ends.
My sources say the same!!! :D

bisonmike2
10-24-2007, 09:04 PM

we could we line up blinco as qb and then have roehl and paschall as split backs. just run the option all day long.

Bisonguy
10-24-2007, 09:25 PM
since we will be eligible next year, anyone want to speculate how good our offense will be?

Returning...

RUNNINGBACKS
Roehl
Paschall
Blincoe
* McNorton may play *

TIGHTENDS
Should be loaded with Wurzbacher returning. Thor "God of Thunder" Brown looked to be the man against the Gophers and we got the 6'7'' Veldman next year

FULLBACKS
Jangula returns

WIDEOUTS
Heckendorf and Belquist return. Shamen returns. Gary WIlliams looked great i nhis only game thus far.

It's strange because last year I though we were screwed with the players we lost on our o-line. We'll be losing 3 starters in Safe, Lekang, and Wagner but Foster almost plays as much as a starter so we're losing 2 full time starters. the key will be replacing the all important LT spot. Austin Richard is supposed to be the man so let's see. THis is a deep unit so we will be in good shape.

QB
Steve Walker is the biggest loss. But when you can run the ball like we can I feeel good about Mertens being our starter. He ran for 45 TD's in high school so I don't t hink we realize how good the guy is. COuld this give us anohter dimention? The West Coast is designed to have a mobile QB. Mertens was responsible for 56 TD"s as a sr (36 pass - 20 rush) If he can get some playing time this year than I think he will be better next year.

OVERALL
We could be pretty good on offense next year. Possibly better. It all depends on the LT and QB spot.

Fixed your post for you. :D

motty
10-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Would not shock me if we saw Parsons play a little QB as a change of pace type thing, kinda like we thought we would see this year (and did once against Minnesota).

I would think Bohl is probably thinking he wants the ball in Walker's hands this year which is totally true, but next year with a Sophomore QB I think we might see some spread option look with Parsons maybe once or twice a game.

Any thoughts on that?

X-Factor
10-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Would not shock me if we saw Parsons play a little QB as a change of pace type thing, kinda like we thought we would see this year (and did once against Minnesota).

I would think Bohl is probably thinking he wants the ball in Walker's hands this year which is totally true, but next year with a Sophomore QB I think we might see some spread option look with Parsons maybe once or twice a game.

Any thoughts on that?

Mertens will be a Junior. The kid isn't going to take long to get acquainted with the speed of the game. I don't think having Mertens in place of Walker is going to change the offense much besides maybe Mertens being more athletic and having the ability to run if nobody is open.

jeffdaryl3rd
10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I think that we will be fine on offense next year. We are going to miss Walker obiously and we are going to miss Safe, but I think we can be as good up front again next year on the O-Line. Mertens I think is going to be very good and he won't be asked to carry this team next year as we have an impressive stable of running backs. I also wouldn't be surprised if the coaches get to the point of having to line Blincoe and/or McNorton up at WR once in a while, because they are playmakers and need to be on the field. I think we'll be good next year on offense.

runtheoption
10-25-2007, 11:04 AM
we could we line up blinco as qb and then have roehl and paschall as split backs. just run the option all day long.

Did somebody say run the option? I have tears in my eyes.

tony
10-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Lots of positions are load - for example, did anybody even mention Landon Smith at TE?

The offensive line... if they work well together, step it up, and stay healthy, I think they'll be pretty good. Losing Safe, Lekang, and Wagner is a huge deal though.

Herd
10-25-2007, 11:58 AM
The entire FCS is counting on the cupboard being bare at NDSU next year, hoping that our time is over. Several boards have said that we are a senior dominated team and that next year will be different. (egriz for ex)

Good luck with that FCS!

tony
10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
I think Paschall has the look :)

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/X00003_916.JPG

That's from the Forum's photo gallery of the game.

X-Factor
10-25-2007, 02:45 PM
The entire FCS is counting on the cupboard being bare at NDSU next year, hoping that our time is over. Several boards have said that we are a senior dominated team and that next year will be different. (egriz for ex)

Good luck with that FCS!

It will be most gratifying to watch all of their hopes and dreams crushed....as Montana visits the Fargodome for the semifinals :D

Everyone said the same thing last year, that it was too bad we could not make the playoffs because we were not going to be as good the year after. ha

msvjcpa
10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
How about defensively?

SlickVic
10-25-2007, 07:11 PM

that's such a sick pic

90BISON
10-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Like he's posing for the Heisman:D

OldBison
10-25-2007, 08:18 PM
I hope Pat knows about it so he can send to his friends and family back in GA.

jeffdaryl3rd
10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
We've had good recruiting classes for a while now, so while there are seniors that we are losing, we have good players just waiting in the wings and I think people are going to be disappointed if they think the cupboard is going to be bare next year.

X-Factor
10-25-2007, 10:06 PM
How about defensively?

Probably even better shape than the offense
We only lose Earl, Mays, Brown, Dallas, and Boraas. Not all of those guys are starters, and guys like Brown and Dallas split time with guys like Compton and Gratzek.

CaBisonFan
10-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Returning...

RUNNINGBACKS
Roehl
Paschall
Blincoe
* McNorton may play *

TIGHTENDS
Should be loaded with Wurzbacher returning. Thor Brown looked to be the man against the Gophers and we got the 6'7'' Veldman next year

FULLBACKS
Jangula returns

WIDEOUTS

QB

OVERALL

It will be explosive. Maybe not quite as 'heady,' meaning that any new quarterback needs some time to feel comfortable. But this offense will Roehl.

roadwarrior
10-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Nothing will give Mertens confidence more than having the other 10 guys surrounding him.

CaBisonFan
10-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Mertens will do well. And like you said, he'll have a ton of support every direction he turns. He won't have to be exceptional right away...but I think that he has the potential to be special.

jeffdaryl3rd
10-26-2007, 07:51 AM
I know that he is inexperienced, but Mertens has boatloads of talent and pairing that with the fact that he won't have to carry the offensive load makes things look pretty good for us next year. Mays is the only full-time starter we lose and I think we might be even better next year on defense than we are this year.

extremerouge
10-26-2007, 08:12 AM
i think losing earl will really be tough on our D. he does an excellent job in the secondary.