PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the SDSU game?

bisonmike2
10-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Is this game still not going to be on FSN thanks to the administration of SDSU? Here's the lowdown for those who may not remember and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. SDSU was said to have had a the contract in hand but did not sign it b/c they were worried about how the game would affect attendance. Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Anyway, we still have a couple of games to take care of but it's looking more and more like the GWFC will be decided in Brookings this year. This game needs to be on TV!

heckler
10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Is this game still not going to be on FSN thanks to the administration of SDSU? Here's the lowdown for those who may not remember and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. SDSU was said to have had a the contract in hand but did not sign it b/c they were worried about how the game would affect attendance. Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Anyway, we still have a couple of games to take care of but it's looking more and more like the GWFC will be decided in Brookings this year. This game needs to be on TV!

Not intended to be smack but nothing is going to help SDSU attendance this year...for some reason their community can't rally around their team like we can. But I hope we can bring lots of Bison down there in Nov. to get some homefield advantages. Maybe they just don't want to get beat on TV? Might hurt their recruiting since USD is moving up?

NorthernBison
10-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I respect their decision. They obviously have their reasons and they know their market. Their market is different than Fargo and television could impact attendance.

Here's a relevant question to answer before casting stones in the direction of SDSU: Was last year's game in Fargo televised? Answer: No

I don't think we have any moral high ground to criticize their decision.

bisonmike2
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm obviously going to pick a Bison victory but SDSU always plays us hard and you would think the school would want to showcase the atmosphere of the rivalry game which has grow leaps and bounds over what it was at the DII level. It's such a no brainer to throw this game on TV that it's frustrating to see such an wonderful opportunity squandered b/c of the lack of vison of the SDSU administration. I'm sure if you asked any SDSU fan they would w/out hesitation, vote to put the game on the air, especially with USD broadcasting a number of it's games this year.

bisonmike2
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I respect their decision. They obviously have their reasons and they know their market. Their market is different than Fargo and television could impact attendance.

Here's a relevant question to answer before casting stones in the direction of SDSU: Was last year's game in Fargo televised? Answer: No

I don't think we have any moral high ground to criticize their decision.

Were we presented the opportunity to broadcast it on FSN last year? I don't think so. SDSU was contacted about this game and they are turning this down. It's going to be the last GWFC game for both of our institutions, I think it deserves to be on TV.

NorthernBison
10-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Were we presented the opportunity to broadcast it on FSN last year? I don't think so. SDSU was contacted about this game and they are turning this down. It's going to be the last GWFC game for both of our institutions, I think it deserves to be on TV.

I don't know all the reasons why the game wasn't televised last year. It might have had something to do with the WDAY contract. Bottom line is the game wasn't televised.

There has been a lot of discussion on the SDSU board about the game and the television contract. I think they would be willing to agree to a deal but they want compensation for the ticket revenue they expect to lose. So far, nobody has stepped up and offered it. The number $30,000 comes to mind but I could easily be wrong.

bisonmike2
10-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I don't know all the reasons why the game wasn't televised last year. It might have had something to do with the WDAY contract. Bottom line is the game wasn't televised.

There has been a lot of discussion on the SDSU board about the game and the television contract. I think they would be willing to agree to a deal but they want compensation for the ticket revenue they expect to lose. So far, nobody has stepped up and offered it. The number $30,000 comes to mind but I could easily be wrong.

I'm not buying the idea of lost ticket revenue. We've seen several times that broadcasting games = increased product awareness = increased attendance. Like I've posted before it comes down to a lack of vision. NDSU admins see it as an opportunity to promote the university and it's athletic programs and SDSU admins see it as an expense that hurts their bottom line. I am glad that we have the administration that we do.

IowaBisonToo
10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
My guess is that those who are going to the game are going to the game. This is the exact reason why U of Sioux Falls is going to surpass the fanbase of SDSU someday -- because they could care less about the rest of the state. Get the damn game on the tube, let people in Sioux Falls, Mitchell, Aberdeen, Madison, Huron, etc. see the product on the TV for free which in turn may entice them to actually come to a game in person. They might even gain some new fans this way. SDSU has NO television stuff like NDSU. Hasn't every home game to this point been on TV for NDSU? I've lived in NW Iowa for 5 years and have not seen one Jack game on TV -- I've seen USD games but not Jack games. That is sad!

Refusing to put it on TV because they might lose some butts in seats is just plain :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

bisonmike2
10-23-2007, 08:50 PM
My guess is that those who are going to the game are going to the game. This is the exact reason why U of Sioux Falls is going to surpass the fanbase of SDSU someday -- because they could care less about the rest of the state. Get the damn game on the tube, let people in Sioux Falls, Mitchell, Aberdeen, Madison, Huron, etc. see the product on the TV for free which in turn may entice them to actually come to a game in person. They might even gain some new fans this way. SDSU has NO television stuff like NDSU. Hasn't every home game to this point been on TV for NDSU? I've lived in NW Iowa for 5 years and have not seen one Jack game on TV -- I've seen USD games but not Jack games. That is sad!

Refusing to put it on TV because they might lose some butts in seats is just plain :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Interesting you would say that. I thought the same thing when I lived in Sioux Falls. USF fields a contender year after year and now they have a new facility. I always thought Augustana was in a good position to blow up but they could never really maintain competitive teams throughout the years. TV is the only way they are going to get the Sioux Falls market interested in SDSU football.

UTH
10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Not intended to be smack but nothing is going to help SDSU attendance this year...

Let me help you, Mr. Heckler. cue the music...

If you are able but choose not to participate in the invasion of Brookings, you support terrorism.
There is enough space left for only about 6,000 people to secure their place on the right side in the history books.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/IwantYOU.jpg
to be in Brookings on November 17.

*tempt fate at your own risk, citizen.

Tatanka
10-24-2007, 12:32 AM

If you are able but choose not to participate in the invasion of Brookings, you support terrorism.
There is enough space left for only about 6,000 people to secure their place on the right side in the history books.

Done, and done.

heckler
10-24-2007, 12:35 AM

Really? Because last time I checked I have guard drill on that weekend.

UTH
10-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Really? Because last time I checked I have guard drill on that weekend.

Split out. Tell 'em you're on a mission from God. You have to help save our very way of life.

If it isn't "done and done" yet, I wish you the best of luck. Either way, if anyone can't make it, there is room for forgiveness.

heckler
10-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Split out. Tell 'em you're on a mission from God. You have to help save our very way of life.

If it isn't "done and done" yet, I wish you the best of luck. Either way, if anyone can't make it, there is room for forgiveness.

Guess I don't support terrorism then, huh? All kidding aside I will ask for the day off and make it up later.... ;)

UTH
10-24-2007, 12:58 AM
It's not like having drill on October 20. :hide:

heckler
10-24-2007, 01:00 AM
I did have to take half a day off for the home coming game. Wish the base and ndsu could have some scheduling partnership.

onbison09
10-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Maybe the AD doesn't want to expose the porta-potties.

UTH
10-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Maybe the AD doesn't want to expose the porta-potties.

That nat'l guard talk gave me an idea - cat-holes camoflauge well. Problem solved. Now they can televise.

bisonpride2k
10-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Have we heard any preliminary ticket sales numbers yet? I know there are at least 4 tickets sold so thats atleast a start. :cheers:

UTH
10-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Have we heard any preliminary ticket sales numbers yet? I know there are at least 4 tickets sold so thats atleast a start. :cheers:
2 more here. Running tally is now 6.:cheers:

NDSUFREAK
10-25-2007, 04:18 AM
2 more here. Running tally is now 6.:cheers:
3 MORE!! up to 9!

NDSUstudent
10-25-2007, 04:21 AM
3 more up to 12!!!!

NDSUFan_Sav
10-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Where is everyone sitting so when i purchase tickets i want to be in the ndsu section...because that'll be another game I WILL NOT sit at!

UTH
10-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Where is everyone sitting so when i purchase tickets i want to be in the ndsu section...because that'll be another game I WILL NOT sit at!

East Side is the Best!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPM-ikOwcE)