PDA

View Full Version : Taking a knee on 2nd half kick off or a safety?

bisoneer
10-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Hey what could have happened here if the refs did not say that he "gave up on the play"? Our 22 recovered it on the 4, but illegal forward lateral from end zone, a safety? or what?

HooliganBison
10-23-2007, 01:15 AM
He gave up, and the refs screwed up, the ball should have been spotted at the 1 yard line. That's why punky was going crazy on their sideline. It was a poor decision, but I know that will be the last time that ever happens again to our team.

gopherz
10-23-2007, 06:24 AM
Would have been a safety.

Herd
10-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Shamen made zero attempt to move or go out of the endzone. The absolute correct call was made.

KC Bison
10-23-2007, 12:43 PM
There hasn't been a requirement for years that you need to kneel the ball down. He stayed in the end zone for 5 seconds and made no attempt to bring the ball out. The ref screwed up by not blowing his whistle at that point. It was a royal screw up by the refing crew but after a huddle, it got it right.

imabison
10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
There hasn't been a requirement for years that you need to kneel the ball down. He stayed in the end zone for 5 seconds and made no attempt to bring the ball out. The ref screwed up by not blowing his whistle at that point. It was a royal screw up by the refing crew but after a huddle, it got it right.
I watched the game last night, and it was heads up of the other player to go after the ball when the official did not catch the ball and blow the whistle. There was NO attempt to return the ball. After viewing the replay I agree it was the correct call.

TheDoctor
10-23-2007, 02:14 PM
The players also pointed out to me that their defense was all on the field already, because EVERYONE believed the play was dead. So, that would have been a penalty on them as well. The whistle should have been blown and everyone including Shamen believed it had been. ;)