PDA

View Full Version : Gold Star Marching Band

X-Factor
10-23-2007, 12:21 AM
I have not seen this discussed yet but only because I assume people were too busy watching the game to notice what happened with our band.

OUR band was restricted from playing during the game on Saturday. After halftime there was well over 30 security personel hovering around the band and the NDSU section. Operations literally told the band they couldn't play because "You brought to many fans". No joke. Brewster and Co. were that freaked out about us being in their house.

Even without the band, I still think we were VERY loud! Good job Bison fans!

NDSUguy
10-23-2007, 12:25 AM
This is not true. I was sitting in the 5th row just to the left of the band. They played into the 3rd quarter and for sure at the end of the game.

El_Chapitan
10-23-2007, 01:16 AM
We were only allowed to play after touchdowns and field goals. ONLY After. Completely restricted.

X-Factor
10-23-2007, 03:28 AM
This is not true. I was sitting in the 5th row just to the left of the band. They played into the 3rd quarter and for sure at the end of the game.

5th row. Well than, I guess I was a lot closer than you. ;)

We were only allowed to play after touchdowns and field goals. ONLY After. Completely restricted.

This is what I meant to say but couldn't spit it out understandably:blush:

I thought it was disappointing that the band was restricted like that.

BlueKeyAlum
10-23-2007, 04:07 AM
I liked the half time show of both bands and for those who stuck around, both bands performed together which was cool.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2007, 04:13 AM
I have not seen this discussed yet but only because I assume people were too busy watching the game to notice what happened with our band.

OUR band was restricted from playing during the game on Saturday. After halftime there was well over 30 security personel hovering around the band and the NDSU section. Operations literally told the band they couldn't play because "You brought to many fans". No joke. Brewster and Co. were that freaked out about us being in their house.

Even without the band, I still think we were VERY loud! Good job Bison fans!

Punky was probably afraid that more little green men would descend on the baggie.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Punky was probably afraid that more little green men would descend on the baggie.

Addition: Through 25 years of high school band directing, I always found that a coach that had a bad program was the most feisty about restricting the band from doing their thing. They were on a power trip and wanted to control the entire environment. The winning coaches left me alone. They let me do my job...and they did theirs.

Punky is history in Gopherland. If they give him another year I'll be surprised. Hell...he can't even control his own team. He's in over his head.

TheDoctor
10-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Addition: Through 25 years of high school band directing, I always found that a coach that had a bad program was the most feisty about restricting the band from doing their thing. They were on a power trip and wanted to control the entire environment. The winning coaches left me alone. They let me do my job...and they did theirs.

Punky is history in Gopherland. If they give him another year I'll be surprised. Hell...he can't even control his own team. He's in over his head.

:rofl: What are they going to do? Pay 3 head coaching saleries of 1 million dollars a year in 2008? I think 2 is enough for them to handle right now! :rofl:

AmberValley
10-23-2007, 12:54 PM
X-Factor was right.

See today's front page of The Inforum.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=181625&section=News

Bison band barely ‘herd’ during game
Amy Dalrymple, The Forum
Published Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bison fans were tooting their horns after Saturday’s win over the Gophers.

But during the game, North Dakota State University’s band was all but silenced.

Band director Warren Olfert said he’s disappointed the University of Minnesota deviated from past practice and only let his band perform for 15 minutes total.

Olfert didn’t hear directly from the U of M athletic official who made the decision, but others told him it was because the Bison had too many fans.

“They didn’t want our fans to get fired up more than they should, so this guy decided to take the band out of the equation,” Olfert said

Scott Ellison, the U of M associate athletic director who made the decision, did not return calls seeking comment Monday.

Last year when the two teams met at the Metrodome, the NDSU Gold Star Band played each time the Bison had the ball and rotated performing during the timeouts, Olfert said.

NDSU was under the impression they’d operate the same way this year.

But right before the game on Saturday, NDSU drum major Mike Lehmann learned their play time was going to be limited.

The band performed theme songs from James Bond movies for three minutes during the pre-game performance and seven minutes during halftime, Olfert said.

They played “On Bison” each time NDSU scored a touchdown.

“Fortunately they scored fairly often,” Lehmann said.

But for the rest of the game, the 90 NDSU band members were spectators.

“To me, it was shock that we weren’t going to get a chance to play,” said Lehmann, a senior and third-year drum major.

The staff of the 305-member U of M band lobbied hard to athletic officials to allow NDSU to perform, Olfert said.

“They were just outraged,” he said. “They were furious that a visiting band would be treated like that.”

If NDSU had known ahead of time how limited the band’s play time was going to be, it might not have traveled the 250 miles, Olfert said.

Transporting the students with two buses and providing them hotel rooms Friday night so they could be at Saturday’s 7:30 a.m. rehearsal cost the band about $8,000, he said.

“That’s a real misuse of money from my perspective,” Olfert said.

Olfert said he plans to write a letter to the U of M protesting the decision, and he anticipates others within the music department will, too.

The NDSU students made the best of the situation, though, and took an opportunity at the end of the game while Bison fans were still mingling to play “On Bison” to the crowd.

Long after most fans left, the two bands joined for a post-game performance, trading tunes and mingling, Olfert said.

If the U of M really wanted to quiet the Bison fans, restricting the band was “pretty petty,” he said.

“And it didn’t work.”

BlueKeyAlum
10-23-2007, 01:05 PM
The REAL issue isn't that NDSU brought too many fans,

it's that the Gophers brought too few.

badger04
10-23-2007, 01:09 PM
If this is the case that Minnesota told the band not to play, we should ask them to pay for the Gold Star marching Band travel expenses.

Bison bison
10-23-2007, 01:14 PM
+++++++++++

BigBison
10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I got alot of respect for the U of M Band, they're classy, they we're really nice to our band, and didnt have a big egos about them like most U of M fans, and coachs. You can't even hear the band that good in the dome anyways, thats why U of M mics in there band.

imabison
10-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I got alot of respect for the U of M Band, they're classy, they we're really nice to our band, and didnt have a big egos about them like most U of M fans, and coachs. You can't even hear the band that good in the dome anyways, thats why U of M mics in there band.
I agree 100% they do a nice job. Yes, they mic the band, but it was strictly when there was not action on the field. You could clearly hear when the mic was on the difference in the sound.

56BISON73
10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Is it any wonder why the gophers are in the sad state they are in considering the moron AD who made this bone head decision????? I am almost speechless which is pretty hard to do. LOL PL

onbison09
10-24-2007, 01:54 AM
When I saw that story I didn't know whether to laugh or throw something through my computer screen. What a bunch of dumbasses!!! I could see why they were worried because our band is just HUGE. (not a slam)

THEsocalledfan
10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
My question is:

Why can't NDSU have a band as good and as big as the Gophers? I say take the extra money that NDSU is now going to be bringing in with football and divert it to the band to give $1000 scholarships to everyone who agrees to be in the band.

The Gold Star Band is fine, but we need to pump up the support and make it a premier band in our region. It would be great to have a band as good as the Gophers.

BigDeal
10-24-2007, 03:38 PM
The U of Montana is definitely not in a region of superior marching bands so they offer $500 scholarships to freshman, $750 to sophomores, and $1000 to juniors and seniors. They have about 150-175 people in their band, which is pretty good. Keep in mind WHERE you live. The U of MN (which is also 5 times bigger than NDSU) draws the majority of its marchers from the metro area. There are literally thousands of kids participating in high school marching bands in the Twin Cities. They go to MN. Also, the Sioux Falls area also has a good thousand people marching (Lincoln, Washington, Brandon Valley, Roosevelt, even Marshall, MN) who end up at SDSU. North Dakota has Mandan. Mandan marches 50. Fargo has 0. West Fargo has a band that marches once a year (not a marching band). Moorhead has a band that marches once a year (again, not a marching band). This is a problem that NDSU cannot fix. Ideally, these high schools should start establishing programs. But that's going to cost money... and lots of it. It may be possible to get NDSU's band to be as big as the U of MN, but again it is going to take money. A LOT of it, and a LOT more than the U of M is spending on their band.

Bison"FANatic"
10-24-2007, 04:06 PM
North Dakota does not have the marching bands that the surrounding states do. That is a huge issue in getting people to do it in college. I don't know what ND standards are but you needed 3 years of chorus or 2 years of band to graduate high school in SD.

My wife was in the GSMB and she states that it is a huge amount of work and time commitment for 1 measly credit. I have a relative who has a full ride to NDSU so it would not have cost her anything and was going to be in the band but the time commitment was to much for the credits she would have got.

GSB Alum
10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Issues to getting a large band:

1. Large time commitment with little or no compensation or recognition... Game weeks are easily 12-15 hours of work (not counting Homecoming weekend). Many students can't AFFORD marching band because they need to be at work those times, or in class so they can work at other times. Many members do it because they love it, but alot leave after a year or two because of time/money constraints. Very hard to find a member with more than two years in that band anymore. I made it 5 years, but it was a definite sacrifice the last couple of years.

2. As stated before, ND has only 1 High School that marches on a football field. They have several that march street parades, but they all exist out west i.e. Bismarck, Minot, Mandan, Dickinson, Williston, other little towns, etc..

3. Recruitment. The band needs to recruit for marching band, but without the ability to offer meaningful scholarships, this isn't possible. When I was a music student at NDSU, the largest student scholarship available was $1000 for one year, and that was given to 2 non-music major students. If you were a major, the largest available was $750 for one year. The 'renewals' on music major scholarships were MAYBE $200 a piece. It has gotten SLIGHTLY better for music majors. BUT to make a band like that really cook, you NEED a HUGE non-music major student commitment. Like I said, the Department when I was there could only offer 2, $1000, one-year scholarships to non-majors. Pretty pathetic

4. Athletics provides little if any monetary support... other schools athletic programs offer large amounts of monetary support, but many of those also charge students for game tickets. I will say that NDSU Athletics treats the band pretty well as far as allowing them seats at games that they need, allowing visiting bands to play, allowing the GSB plenty of time for their halftime and pregame shows, keeping the canned music overplays at a minimum, etc.

Others have said it boils down to money, well, money will help but money and recruitment and "getting the word out" on campus as well. the NDSU Gold Star Marching band does NOT require an audition and does NOT require you to be a music major, the band in fact needs as many non-majors as they can get. Those are two common misconceptions that people have.

stpaulbison
10-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Others have said it boils down to money, well, money will help but money and recruitment and "getting the word out" on campus as well. the NDSU Gold Star Marching band does NOT require an audition and does NOT require you to be a music major, the band in fact needs as many non-majors as they can get. Those are two common misconceptions that people have.

I had a friend from Beach, ND who wasn't a music major and played in the marching band for 2 years, question mark on the 2nd year.

BigBison
10-24-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree that its the population of the state of ND thats the problem. When you have most high schools in ND that only have a senior class of 20. And most of the boys and girls go out for 9-man football, basketball or some sport. Your not going to get many kids into the marching band, thus not many kids in the college marching band. Plus the marching band takes a ton of time and effort. My sister was in marching band in high school then she went to Minnesota, she thought about joining their band but when she found out how much time it took and she backed out. At the U of M they pretty much want to you sign you life away to become a member of the band. They practice about as much as the football team.

Also as far as scholarships go the Minnesota does not offer one person in their band a scholarship. This was just in the twin cities news last week to try to get more scholarships.

I think NDSU could get a bigger band but we are going to have to pony up the money and lots of it to afford scholarships and recruit into Minnesota. Hiring a new athletic band director is going to help alot, especially if hes from a Big Ten, Big 12 school and is passionate about band.

One thing that could help our band out alot is if the band members wore white shoes, or something with some white on them, and then learn to step(march) at the same time to the beat. If you see most big band all have something white on their feet so it draws attention to when they step and makes the band look like they are all in unison rather than just milling around.

56BISON73
10-24-2007, 06:00 PM
North Dakota does not have the marching bands that the surrounding states do. That is a huge issue in getting people to do it in college. I don't know what ND standards are but you needed 3 years of chorus or 2 years of band to graduate high school in SD.

My wife was in the GSMB and she states that it is a huge amount of work and time commitment for 1 measly credit. I have a relative who has a full ride to NDSU so it would not have cost her anything and was going to be in the band but the time commitment was to much for the credits she would have got.

"""3 years of chorus or 2 years of band to graduate high school in SD. """

You have to be kidding me???? PL

BigBison
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
In Minnesota all you need is 2 years of chorus OR band, and thats when your in jr. high.

aces1180
10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
In Minnesota all you need is 2 years of chorus OR band, and thats when your in jr. high.

Wow...That's lame...I don't think I would have graduated. ;)

Bison"FANatic"
10-24-2007, 06:22 PM

You might of had more choices for fine arts credits in the large schools but in the small schools those were your choices.

Mr_Meanor
10-24-2007, 06:40 PM
While I was in high school I only needed 2 music classes. I took the history of rock and roll and another class that taught us how to read music. I do not have one ounce of music ability in me so I was glad there were other options besides Chior and Band.

travelingbison
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
It's too bad to hear that they wanted to take the band out of the game. From the sounds of things, the goooophers had intentions to do that from the moment the band arrived at the dome. Prior to game-time, the band also had problems with getting their equipment into the dome because of "new security procedures" that caused them to lose some of their morning practice time as well....

It sounds like everyone is in agreement that the band needs improvement in more ways than one, with money and time being the key factors in moving this band forward for the years to come. While I feel it's important to plan ahead, we also cannot ignore what's happening now...what has the marching band done THIS YEAR to proactively become better as a whole??

While I'm sure I won't hit everything, and band members feel free to chime in, here's a couple of changes I noticed:

Music - from the half-time shows to the stands, it sounds like someone has made an effort to mix in some new stuff in with the old (thank goodness, no Elton John!)
Recruiting - current members took time out of their own lives to be at orientation sessions this last summer to help promote the band and get numbers up (all for free because they love the band, no way!)
Organization - a new athletic band position, re-structuring their constitution, students petitioning Student Government for extra funding and the band putting in overtime to be at more NDSU events (what!? you mean things are really happening!?)

I think that no one has really given the STUDENT MEMBERS of the Gold Star Marching Band the credit they honestly deserve. It takes a lot of time and effort to be a part of the band itself, so major props to those students who take our constructive criticism and try to improve band as much as a student can.

BigBison
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry I forgot to include that in my earlier post but I gotta give major props and respect to band members. I know they work hard and they are great. I'm a student and I'm sure it can't be easy.
Yes! The band is getting better and they have gotten alot better since last year. New music is cool and interesting. I think there should be some kind of a honoring at the last home game for the senior members of the band. Texas A&M does it, it would help with the pride of the band and grow if we, the fans, show support by applauding the job they do. heres a video of texas a&m on how they show support for their senior band members: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9fJSQt11E

UTH
10-24-2007, 07:59 PM

I agree - No way, Jose. While music can play an important role in education and growth as a person, that is waaaay too much. If completely true, his is a case of having misplaced priorities, if you ask me.

Civil06
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Marching band in college football should start with the drumline. If the GSMB recruited 10 more good drummers and put a little more focus on them, the crowd would be way more into the band. The rest of the band can further develop after that.

UTH
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
The GSMB has been doing a wonderful job they are a big part of college football for me. The band makes our Saturdays uniquely "COLLEGE" and helps to create the atmosphere that can't exist anywhere else. I would love to see them get the proper funding and support that they need to grow with the rest of NDSU.

Case in point: Did your spine tingle when they faced the stands and played On Bison after the UM game? Could a marching band accomplish that anywhere else, outside of college?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bison%20Gophers%20game/BisonGophers052.jpg

Hearing the song played was like getting permission to leave the Metrodome.

mebisonII
10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Marching band in college football should start with the drumline. If the GSMB recruited 10 more good drummers and put a little more focus on them, the crowd would be way more into the band. The rest of the band can further develop after that.

Full agreement there. This difference between the 2001 and 2002 bands were evidence of that.

aces1180
10-24-2007, 09:11 PM
The GSMB has been doing a wonderful job they are a big part of college football for me. The band makes our Saturdays uniquely "COLLEGE" and helps to create the atmosphere that can't exist anywhere else. I would love to see them get the proper funding and support that they need to grow with the rest of NDSU.

Case in point: Did your spine tingle when they faced the stands and played On Bison after the UM game? Could a marching band accomplish that anywhere else, outside of college?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Bison%20Gophers%20game/BisonGophers052.jpg

Hearing the song played was like getting permission to leave the Metrodome.

I love seeing all the cops surrounding the goal post...Haha

IBleedYellow
10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I love seeing all the cops surrounding the goal post...Haha

If you find it funny that they want to stop a rush onto the field and prevent the goalpost from killing another person, laugh away. Granted I don't think 10-15 cops can stop a mob, but ya know...

aces1180
10-24-2007, 11:29 PM
If you find it funny that they want to stop a rush onto the field and prevent the goalpost from killing another person, laugh away. Granted I don't think 10-15 cops can stop a mob, but ya know...

Lighten up...My post was not intended to be a dig at public safety.

TransAmBison
10-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Lighten up...My post was not intended to be a dig at public safety.
It was funny, no matter the intention...:nod:

imabison
05-26-2022, 10:55 PM
Just an FYI, former Gold Star Marching band director Wayne Dorothy was just awarded

The Hardin-Simmons university board of Trustees just awarded him
the rank of Faculty Emeritus.

Congrats to Wayne

CaBisonFan
05-27-2022, 12:54 AM
Just an FYI, former Gold Star Marching band director Wayne Dorothy was just awarded

Congrats to Wayne. He deserves it.

Hammersmith
05-27-2022, 12:55 AM

Congrats to Wayne

Nice. Really liked and respected the guy.

Was very unhappy about how that all ended. Left a sour taste in my brain.

MankatoBison
05-27-2022, 02:14 PM
Have they appointed a new athletic bands director? Having directed Marching bands for a decade, and marching Drum corps, I am way too interested in NDSU's next step with the GSMB.

For those who dont know, there are a few different styles of bands, or visions for what a band ought to be:

1. Drum Corps Style: JSU, JMU, UMASS, Western Carolina, Maybe delaware. The band is seen as outlet for absolute excellence and dominance in musical performance. They want to embarrass the other band. Make them rethink their life. They are the NDSU football version of bands. I love this style, but ultimately would take decades to build and is unrealistic unless there is demand for, and an institutional shift towards fine arts, specifically band. Very unlikely, and is uncommon as well.

2. Big Ten/Collegiate: All about the old school atmosphere. Typically plays more classical charts in the stands and on the field, with alot of contemporary charts as well. I think GSMB does this pretty well, however the musical excellence demanded from other bands in this category is much higher than GSMB. (no music on the field, more challenging field shows etc.). Missouri State does a GREAT job of this. Even some D3 bands do a better job of this than NDSU (See Wisconsin Eu Claire band)

3. Bad/Substitute for an Ipod. I would throw the vast, vast majority of FCS bands in this category. Virtually no musical demand. Uninteresting Field shows, uninspired charts in the stands (basic pop tunes, performed at a low level), and low attention and care for details across the board. I was disappointed to find that Montana MB fits into this category on our visit there in 2015 (or whatever it was). The institutional attitude for these bands is "well, I guess we have to have a band. idk, get some volunteers to bring their instruments and we'll pull the uniforms out of storage, and show up to the big games if you can, honestly, no one gives a shit if you show up or not"

4. HBCU - in a category all its own. BYBO (Blow your Balls off) is a phrase that comes to mind from them. It is a niche, and its not for everyone, but what they DO do, they do better than anyone else and its not even close.

GSMB sees itself as a #2 and does a good job of it for sure, but still has alot of the same internal habits of #3 bands (using music on the field, little uniformity on how the uniforms are worn, horn angles, walking marching style etc). I think the GSMB is probably a top 5 band in the FCS, but that is also because literally every band that is in category #1, has left, which is disappointing.

The director has a complete dictatorship of what direction GSMB goes next. GSMB can never be a HBCU/Show style band, so cross that off the list. Category #3 is by far the easiest/most effortless style to embrace because it requires literally no attention to detail and has no internal expectations, so Matt Larsen is probably lobbying HARD for that behind the scenes. But I hope the new director can help Shift GSMB up the ladder. We will never be a Category 1 band, but GSMB definitely can grow much more in the #2 category.

NDSUBowler
05-27-2022, 02:42 PM
Fully agree with your post! While it would be amazing to have Cat1 (I watch DCI whenever I can), I would be thrilled if NDSU invested in becoming a solid Cat2. I very much enjoy marching bands but I get fairly grumpy with the laziness at times and sloppy formations.

Both my parents marched at Arizona State and still complain about the GSMB "back in our day we high-knee marched in 110 degree heat in perfect formation and they can't even space properly"

Hammersmith
05-28-2022, 01:49 AM
Fully agree with your post! While it would be amazing to have Cat1 (I watch DCI whenever I can), I would be thrilled if NDSU invested in becoming a solid Cat2. I very much enjoy marching bands but I get fairly grumpy with the laziness at times and sloppy formations.

Both my parents marched at Arizona State and still complain about the GSMB "back in our day we high-knee marched in 110 degree heat in perfect formation and they can't even space properly"

What you both want is as impossible as NDSU football getting into the Big Ten. You know what all those programs in categories one and two have that NDSU doesn't? They either are located in states that have strong high school marching traditions, or their total student enrollments are so large that they easily have a couple hundred incoming freshmen each year that come from areas with strong marching traditions.

How many high school bands in ND actually do full field shows? No more than two, I think. Mandan's long time director used to do a field show, but he retired a bunch of years ago and I don't know if his replacement(s) continued the tradition. Jamestown had a director that tried to start doing field shows, but I don't know if he succeeded or is still there. None of the Fargo schools do field shows. Neither do the Grand Forks schools. While Minnesota has a much better marching tradition than ND, it focuses more on parade marching than field show marching. Moorhead has/had a marching band, but only for parades. Plus, many(most?) of the MN NDSU students come from smaller districts that might not even have parade bands. The big HS field show programs in MN are mostly found in the wealthier TC suburbs, and those graduates are more likely to go to UM or other Big Ten schools.

There's another big problem. The GSMB is very, very, very underclassmen heavy. Or at least it was the last I heard. There have been times where it was 50%+ freshmen, 25% sophomores, <25% everything else. And then add to the fact that the football season is right at the start of the school year.

Learning how to march well literally takes years. Just like learning how to play football well literally takes years. What you are asking for is exactly the same as taking incoming college freshman that have only played flag football before, giving them a crash course on how to play college football for a week or two, and then wondering why they are getting their asses handed to them when they start playing real teams.

You want the GSMB to be as good as the big schools? Either force all ND and MN high schools to start field show marching bands so the NDSU incoming freshman already have solid basic and intermediate skills when they get to campus, or cut giant annual checks so that NDSU is able to go to marching states and give big scholarships to get those experienced marchers to come to NDSU(and ignore that now local kids will not be able to participate in large numbers). Otherwise, basic competency is the best you're going to get.

NDSUBowler
05-28-2022, 08:03 AM
You know people are allowed to wishfully think, right?

I fully understand the marching restraints of the area and am well aware that my wants are not necessarily a realistic viewpoint.

Ya don’t have to be a debbie downer about it though!

CaBisonFan
05-28-2022, 10:35 AM
I think that the band has done an outstanding job over the past D1 years. The sound is really good and the uniform upgrade did wonders.

The GSMB has its share of good times and glory because of the playoffs and trips to Frisco...

... but the demands placed on the band have been significant. It's a double-edged sword.

North Dakota is not a marching band state for high schoolers. South Dakota is. Kids that join the GSMB could be experiencing their first on-field marching. Not true in most of the MVFC states.

A modified Big Ten style of marching is the tradition. I don't see a corp-style band being feasible at NDSU. It's too sterile without tremendous numbers.

My hat is off to the band and its director.

56BISON73
05-28-2022, 03:39 PM
From what Ive seen and hear of the band(which isnt much) I would say they are much improved from when I reconnected with NDSU 17? years ago.

They were few in numbers, sounded terrible and actually ran in to each other on occasion.

SlickVic
05-28-2022, 11:10 PM
From what Ive seen and hear of the band(which isnt much) I would say they are much improved from when I reconnected with NDSU 17? years ago.

They were few in numbers, sounded terrible and actually ran in to each other on occasion.

LMFAO friggen PL. crackin me up

scbison91
05-29-2022, 11:49 AM
I think that the band has done an outstanding job over the past D1 years. The sound is really good and the uniform upgrade did wonders.

The GSMB has its share of good times and glory because of the playoffs and trips to Frisco...

... but the demands placed on the band have been significant. It's a double-edged sword.

North Dakota is not a marching band state for high schoolers. South Dakota is. Kids that join the GSMB could be experiencing their first on-field marching. Not true in most of the MVFC states.

A modified Big Ten style of marching is the tradition. I don't see a corp-style band being feasible at NDSU. It's too sterile without tremendous numbers.

My hat is off to the band and its director.It is hard. Was band and played sports in small town in ND. Moved to Dickinson my Jr year and did marching first time. Amazing how much lung capacity you need to play and March. It was hard.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

scottietohottie
05-29-2022, 02:01 PM
Is Rob Ryan still the director?

Gully
05-29-2022, 09:32 PM
The band has come a long way. I remember the first time NDSU played the Gophers in the Metrodome. It was embarrassing. Not so anymore. I'm not a music guy, but I appreciate the band as part of the gameday atmosphere and love when they march through the tailgate.

southcliffbison
05-30-2022, 01:12 PM

My hat is off to the band and its director.

I can vouch for SD being a marching band state; I drive school bus for a school in SE SD. I haul the marching band to various communities for marching competition once every two weeks in the fall. It's quite the big deal. Some of these class B school bands that compete aren't big in terms of numbers.

MankatoBison
05-31-2022, 12:39 PM
North Dakota and Minnesota have very few field marching bands which makes GSMB all the more impressive considering very few members have EVER done a field marching show before, and many have never done any Marching band whatsoever! However, University of Minnesota Marching band faces very similar problems. I have had many former students march there (who have never done field shows) and said that MOST members have not done field shows before. That being said, I'm sure they have a longer camp to get acclimated to the program.

I would say that Sig's legacy is pretty much tripling the membership (EXCELLENT) and I have observed that the overall musicianship has increased over the last 15 years as well, not sure how much this coincides with the school of music opening at NDSU. When they do the sections trounce around by themselves in the tailgate lot (trumpets, low brass etc) Its very clear that many of them are very talented musicians!

Given the circumstances, GSMB is punching way above its weight, but make no mistake, there is alot that can be done to improve, even within the limitations, and I am excited to see them as they push forward with the new director, whoever that ends up being

scottietohottie
05-31-2022, 01:07 PM
My old band teacher was an ndsu alum and had us north dakota kids march in the memorial day parade every year. They also played at all the high-school sporting events. That was 25 years ago. They don't do any of that now at the high-school. Played trombone eh.

WeAreThePride
05-31-2022, 02:24 PM
North Dakota and Minnesota have very few field marching bands which makes GSMB all the more impressive considering very few members have EVER done a field marching show before, and many have never done any Marching band whatsoever! However, University of Minnesota Marching band faces very similar problems. I have had many former students march there (who have never done field shows) and said that MOST members have not done field shows before. That being said, I'm sure they have a longer camp to get acclimated to the program.

I would say that Sig's legacy is pretty much tripling the membership (EXCELLENT) and I have observed that the overall musicianship has increased over the last 15 years as well, not sure how much this coincides with the school of music opening at NDSU. When they do the sections trounce around by themselves in the tailgate lot (trumpets, low brass etc) Its very clear that many of them are very talented musicians!

Given the circumstances, GSMB is punching way above its weight, but make no mistake, there is alot that can be done to improve, even within the limitations, and I am excited to see them as they push forward with the new director, whoever that ends up being

U of M marching band training camp is 12 days, 12 hours a day. Most of the membership marched in high school. They're a substantial step above the GSMB as is to be expected for the resources they've poured into it.

totoinfl
05-31-2022, 03:14 PM
My old band teacher was an ndsu alum and had us north dakota kids march in the memorial day parade every year. They also played at all the high-school sporting events. That was 25 years ago. They don't do any of that now at the high-school. Played trombone eh.

I figured you would play the skin flute.

scottietohottie
05-31-2022, 03:21 PM
I figured you would play the skin flute.

I was so pissed when I got made to join the band. Hated it. Then I got into junior high and realized that there was only like 5 boys in band and about 40 girls. It wasn't so bad after that.

CaBisonFan
05-31-2022, 03:51 PM
Southern Minnesota and the Twin Cities actually have quite a few field show bands. They also have several large parade bands. U of M doesn't have to train their members to march. NDSU does.

DORMIE
05-31-2022, 04:00 PM
I heard that Sig's replacement is a former GSMB member and the
son of Bob and Sheila Challey, whom the School of Music is
funded by.

totoinfl
05-31-2022, 04:59 PM
I was so pissed when I got made to join the band. Hated it. Then I got into junior high and realized that there was only like 5 boys in band and about 40 girls. It wasn't so bad after that.

Using that logic, I assume you were a cheerleader too?

scottietohottie
05-31-2022, 05:06 PM
Using that logic, I assume you were a cheerleader too?

I talked to some people about wearing the thundar outfit. No shit.

mtoutfitter
05-31-2022, 05:59 PM

Probably woulda been the greatest Thundar ever!! :D

totoinfl
05-31-2022, 06:40 PM

Thundar and barn meth...a match made in heaven...or a small town in ND.

MankatoBison
05-31-2022, 07:43 PM
Southern Minnesota and the Twin Cities actually have quite a few field show bands. They also have several large parade bands. U of M doesn't have to train their members to march. NDSU does.

Just a point of fact, there are not many field show bands in MN. I am friendly with the owner/operators of Tri State Judging, who are paid to judge marching competitions in the Mid-West, and they do most of their work in MN on parade shows, and indoor drumline/color guard and very little with field bands in MN.

And the largest parade marching band in the state is less than 150 members. Back in 2000 there were MANY parade bands with 200+ members, some pushed 300, but today a school is lucky to get 75 people in a GOOD parade marching band. BUT The indoor music scene is growing rapidly though! indoor drumlines and colorguards and wind ensembles are popping up everywhere, especially around the cities and is creating a ton of talented musicians in places who may not have any marching bands at all. Very cool stuff

GSMB will never be U of M band good, obviously, but I was just making a point that not everyone in Gopher band was recruited for band or something. Basically, if you are an above average musician, you are in, unless you're in drumline, where there is pretty aggressive try out process, because there is a finite amount of drums.

Let me repeat, I love the GSMB, and I hope they can get even better than they already are!

Minimum8Pete
05-31-2022, 07:46 PM
U of M marching band training camp is 12 days, 12 hours a day. Most of the membership marched in high school. They're a substantial step above the GSMB as is to be expected for the resources they've poured into it.

Can confirm. I had a buddy march there who said its a cult lolz. i bet most b1G schools have a full time staff member for every section on the field, not NDSU. maybe someday

Trumpster
05-31-2022, 07:55 PM

Also rehearsal 5 days a week instead of 3.

The mentality is different at U of MN than GSMB, they have (or had idk now) more people than pre-game spots for instance, therefore some people didn't get to march it every game, they'd need to audition for it.

WeAreThePride
05-31-2022, 08:16 PM
Also rehearsal 5 days a week instead of 3.

The mentality is different at U of MN than GSMB, they have (or had idk now) more people than pre-game spots for instance, therefore some people didn't get to march it every game, they'd need to audition for it.

Yep, they have something like 280 spots in the pregame show, and something like 330 members. The numbers may have changed since my information was current, but you basically had to work your ass off to keep your spot, otherwise you were relegated to carrying out the giant American Flag on the field. It wasn't quite as cutthroat as the Ohio State band, where any individual could challenge any other for their spot on the field and it went to sudden death, but the consequences were similar. You brought everything you had to every practice, or you were second tier. Deservingly so.

In the GSMB, if you can usually hit the notes and show up to most rehearsals, you're fine. There was practically no top down leadership pressure to strive for excellence. Uniform and grooming standards were lax, compared to U of M where they had inspections, and if a man had 2 days' stubble he was expected to shave or lose his spot. All uniforms were to be ironed or steamed prior to shows. No jewelry other than religious items or completely unobtrusive piercing studs in the case of fresh piercings. Show up late on game day? Good luck getting your spot back that season.

It would take a massive shift in leadership to bring the GSMB up to Big 10 standards. Far from impossible, but the will to do it doesn't seem to exist at NDSU.

Trumpster
05-31-2022, 09:25 PM
Show up late on game day? Good luck getting your spot back that season.

I know of a situation where 2 people were more than a little drunk at step-off for pre-game. They told not to march by their section leaders -Sigurd was across the field iirc- then marched anyway. There were no repercussions from Sigurd for it.

CaBisonFan
06-01-2022, 05:51 AM
Just a point of fact, there are not many field show bands in MN. I am friendly with the owner/operators of Tri State Judging, who are paid to judge marching competitions in the Mid-West, and they do most of their work in MN on parade shows, and indoor drumline/color guard and very little with field bands in MN.

And the largest parade marching band in the state is less than 150 members. Back in 2000 there were MANY parade bands with 200+ members, some pushed 300, but today a school is lucky to get 75 people in a GOOD parade marching band. BUT The indoor music scene is growing rapidly though! indoor drumlines and colorguards and wind ensembles are popping up everywhere, especially around the cities and is creating a ton of talented musicians in places who may not have any marching bands at all. Very cool stuff

GSMB will never be U of M band good, obviously, but I was just making a point that not everyone in Gopher band was recruited for band or something. Basically, if you are an above average musician, you are in, unless you're in drumline, where there is pretty aggressive try out process, because there is a finite amount of drums.

Let me repeat, I love the GSMB, and I hope they can get even better than they already are!Minnesota screwed up their tremendous parade programs by allowing miniature field shows on the street. It now requires much more time to create these street field shows, thusly contributing to the drop in numbers. Your friends at Tri State Judging can take partial credit for destroying parade marching in MN, by allowing bands to stop for several minutes to perform.

There are several Southern Minnesota field show bands. They compete mostly in South Dakota and surrounding states. I directed band and remember it well.

CAS4127
06-02-2022, 02:59 AM
Minnesota screwed up their tremendous parade programs by allowing miniature field shows on the street. It now requires much more time to create these street field shows, thusly contributing to the drop in numbers. Your friends at Tri State Judging can take partial credit for destroying parade marching in MN, by allowing bands to stop for several minutes to perform.

There are several Southern Minnesota field show bands. They compete mostly in South Dakota and surrounding states. I directed band and remember it well.

Maybe they should allow these miniature field shows to be done from roof tops.

CaBisonFan
06-02-2022, 03:04 AM
Maybe they should allow these miniature field shows to be done from roof tops.lol... not a bad idea... and keep them there. Let the Tri State judges work up there.

MankatoBison
06-02-2022, 03:19 PM
Minnesota screwed up their tremendous parade programs by allowing miniature field shows on the street. It now requires much more time to create these street field shows, thusly contributing to the drop in numbers. Your friends at Tri State Judging can take partial credit for destroying parade marching in MN, by allowing bands to stop for several minutes to perform.

Heck yeah I've seen this front and center. I prefer the mini field shows fwiw, but I can only speak for the 4-5 bands who I know the directors from. In the 90's and early 2000's, most marching bands were REQUIRED participation (which is why we saw so many 200+ person bands, ours included). I would venture to say at least half of the MBs had required participation. Then in the mid 2000's virtually 100% of the bands dropped it as a requirement in the music department and numbers plummeted, big time.

Less marchers allowed for more maneuvering on the street, which is great, but when you have only 40 marchers, it becomes pretty pathetic, pretty quickly lol. Given the option, I'd rather have 200 marchers doing a show with only 5-10 sets of drill compared to what we are left with now, thats for sure

CaBisonFan
06-02-2022, 04:35 PM
Heck yeah I've seen this front and center. I prefer the mini field shows fwiw, but I can only speak for the 4-5 bands who I know the directors from. In the 90's and early 2000's, most marching bands were REQUIRED participation (which is why we saw so many 200+ person bands, ours included). I would venture to say at least half of the MBs had required participation. Then in the mid 2000's virtually 100% of the bands dropped it as a requirement in the music department and numbers plummeted, big time.

Less marchers allowed for more maneuvering on the street, which is great, but when you have only 40 marchers, it becomes pretty pathetic, pretty quickly lol. Given the option, I'd rather have 200 marchers doing a show with only 5-10 sets of drill compared to what we are left with now, thats for sureThe numbers plummeted big time because of the amount of time required to create and perfect a miniature field show for the street. Thusly... the requirement was dropped so that the bottom didn't drop out of the entire band program. Seeing how this involved significant spring time commitment and also the month of June... it put too much pressure on the moderately committed band member. Not sure of the order of events... but a crappy sounding field show wasn't very appealing. California has a requirement that there is to be no stopping during a parade... and the student involvement is through the roof. The pain matches the gain... which is the key to any type of program.

https://youtu.be/xst0QKtiMwY