PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for helping UW recruiting

badgerphil
10-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Over the years, Wisconsin has gotten some pretty darn good football players out of the great state of Minnesota. The Bison's victory yesterday will make it much more difficult for Brewster to convince the top talent in the state to come to the UofM--even if a new stadium is only two years away. Heck, some of the kids in the western counties of Minnesota would be wise to cast their fates with the Bison instead of the Gophs.

I give you boys a big congrats on over-running the Dome yesterday. I'll bet it was great to see all of that green in there. At the end of November we'll compliment that with a "Sea of Red".

Good luck the rest of the way. I'm pulling for you to end up ranked #1.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 12:55 AM
That game has no effect on recruiting. If anything the recruits saw a great atmosphere.

heckler
10-22-2007, 12:55 AM
That game has no effect on recruiting. If anything the recruits saw a great atmosphere.

Great atmosphere for the gophs or bison??

THEsocalledfan
10-22-2007, 01:01 AM

Gopherz, as great as you have been on this board, I disagree with you on this one. To put it plainly, if a player wants to play FBS football and wants to win, do you really think they will go to Minnesota? I wouldn't unless I was brought up as rabid of a Gopher fan as I am a Bison fan. In other words, only the true fan kids will stay. Why else would you? The big City? Lot's of other big cities....

Further, I would not be at all suprised if a player in Western MN or ND turned down the Gophers if the Bison also offered a full ride. Depends on how set they are in playing in FBS or not.

Finally, why in the devil do MN not recruit Tyler Roehl? To me, he looks like he has enough size and speed ot play on Sunday. Will he be a star? No, but I bet he will make it.

Bison_Backer
10-22-2007, 01:02 AM

wow I guess your head is in a gopher hole. NDSU is on everyones lips right now in Minesota, and guess what its all good.

Mr. Burgundy
10-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Lloyd verbals to Notre Dame the day after we dominate the Gophers.....but that game had no impact on recruiting. Ok....You are lying to yourself. It may not have an impact on the 4/5 star kids as we won't get them, but being dominated by NDSU didn't help the U in any battles. Two kids that verballed to the U were at Wisco yesterday. I wanted Campion, and he signed with the U before the game...which I thought was bizarre.

56BISON73
10-22-2007, 02:33 AM
"""
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherz http://www.bisonville.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=151375#post151375)
That game has no effect on recruiting. If anything the recruits saw a great atmosphere

Are you delusional???? There isnt enough money to pay for that type of advertsing. Especially with Lou Holts and Mark May talking about the Bison on ESPN. My goodness man even Punky knows that.:nod: PL

heckler
10-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Didn't two players quit the team to transfer a week or two ago?

tcbison
10-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Over the years, Wisconsin has gotten some pretty darn good football players out of the great state of Minnesota. The Bison's victory yesterday will make it much more difficult for Brewster to convince the top talent in the state to come to the UofM--even if a new stadium is only two years away. Heck, some of the kids in the western counties of Minnesota would be wise to cast their fates with the Bison instead of the Gophs.

I give you boys a big congrats on over-running the Dome yesterday. I'll bet it was great to see all of that green in there. At the end of November we'll compliment that with a "Sea of Red".

Thanks for the message and your welcome. I think in appreciation you should get your athletic director to schedule NDSU again in basketball. That would be nice.

sambini
10-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Good luck the rest of the way. I'm pulling for you to end up ranked #1. Thanks and Good Luck to you folks the rest of the year++

gopherz
10-22-2007, 04:07 AM
After the game's conclusion, 4-star WR recruit Brandon Green commits to the Gophers.

Oops.

http://www.chicagosports.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=60276&sport=1

What was the impact?

heckler
10-22-2007, 04:20 AM
After the game's conclusion, 4-star WR recruit Brandon Green commits to the Gophers.

Oops.

What was the impact?

Just like that star 6-5 WR Wheelwright, who if I am not mistaken, got the ball taken away by our 5-7 CB.

You can recruit the best individual players in the world but if you can't play as a team or have a great coaching game plan you might as well be sniffing that piece of dirt Brewster keeps in his office because that is the closest thing the gophers will be to a bowl game... BUT if you can recruit the best individuals and play as ONE TEAM you will go far. We don't have the best individual players in the nation but we do have the best players for our team.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 04:24 AM
I meant that for the guy who said that this was going to be a huge hit for Gopher recruiting. By no means am I saying he's going to be great, I was just simply trying to back up my point that this game really does nothing to hurt our recruiting.

heckler
10-22-2007, 04:27 AM
I meant that for the guy who said that this was going to be a huge hit for Gopher recruiting. By no means am I saying he's going to be great, I was just simply trying to back up my point that this game really does nothing to hurt our recruiting.

True. Sometimes playing right away on a crappy team is what a good recruit wants.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 04:35 AM
Or Brewster is an amazing "salesman".

I'm telling you, his coaching may not be there quite yet but he can recruit with the best of them, if his determination keeps up, the program is going to get much much better. I have no doubt he is going to get the players, lets see what is done with them.

heckler
10-22-2007, 04:39 AM

I'm telling you, his coaching may not be there quite yet but he can recruit with the best of them, if his determination keeps up, the program is going to get much much better. I have no doubt he is going to get the players, lets see what is done with them.

Well it can't get much worse. But Notre Dame and Minnesota would be a great game! :paperbag:

SDbison
10-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Lloyd verbals to Notre Dame the day after we dominate the Gophers.....but that game had no impact on recruiting. Ok....You are lying to yourself. It may not have an impact on the 4/5 star kids as we won't get them, but being dominated by NDSU didn't help the U in any battles. Two kids that verballed to the U were at Wisco yesterday. I wanted Campion, and he signed with the U before the game...which I thought was bizarre.
Tell me it isn't so.....Pete Campion's brother (it was his brother correct) from Fergus Falls signed (not verballed) to the Gophers just before Saturday's game. You have to be kidding? What is up with the relatives of former Bison players.......drinking the Kool Aid and going to the Goofers. I mean if they signed with Wisconsin, Nebraska or Iowa I could understand. But the stinking rodents?

gopherz
10-22-2007, 04:58 AM
They understand that the program is headed in the right direction, Brewster is going to get things done and turn this program around, just give him time to get his players in here!

SDbison
10-22-2007, 05:00 AM

Too bad the Goofers don't have a winning tradition, great team attitude, or the best coaching staff. You can have all the outstanding recruits but it still doesn't change the fact they are playing for a losing program. Minnesota pride is dead. So what, the Gophers have a great recruiter for a head coach. Doesn't make Brewster a great or for that matter even good coaching mind.

heckler
10-22-2007, 05:02 AM
They understand that the program is headed in the right direction, Brewster is going to get things done and turn this program around, just give him time to get his players in here!

Last time I checked 1 -7 is going downhill from the 6-6 bowl team from last year but of course they did lose the bowl game. But don't worry 1 - 11 should get a lot of recruits. Believe. Isn't this the first year they won't be in a bowl game since... well a very, very long time? I see that a positive change too. I want what he's having...

gopherz
10-22-2007, 05:06 AM
This year has brought more good recruits already than any class Mason has had.

heckler
10-22-2007, 05:09 AM
This year has brought more good recruits already than any class Mason has had.

I don't think that says much. :smh:

SirHinn
10-22-2007, 05:10 AM
Well it can't get much worse. But Notre Dame and Minnesota would be a great game! :paperbag:

You have to give those 2 programs some time with the head coaches. They were replacing coaches who were solid overall coaches, but couldn't recruit worth a lick. Part of the problem too is if you look at Willingham's last recruiting class which are seniors this year, they were absolutely horrible. You can question Brewster's antics and a whole bunch of things he does, but it's certainly way way too early to judge him all together as a coach. The best advice you can give Brewster is to try and follow the model that Craig Bohl used. He's been very humble through out the process and knew that he had to be patient because it would take time to get the program in the right direction. The biggest thing Brewster can do is just shut up and quit putting your foot in your mouth for the time being.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 05:11 AM
+++++

Thank you SirHinn!

heckler
10-22-2007, 05:11 AM
You have to give those 2 programs some time with the head coaches. They were replacing coaches who were solid overall coaches, but couldn't recruit worth a lick. Part of the problem too is if you look at Willingham's last recruiting class which are seniors this year, they were absolutely horrible. You can question Brewster's antics and a whole bunch of things he does, but it's certainly way way too early to judge him all together as a coach. The best advice you can give Brewster is to try and follow the model that Craig Bohl used. He's been very humble through out the process and knew that he had to be patient because it would take time to get the program in the right direction. The biggest thing Brewster can do is just shut up and quit putting your foot in your mouth for the time being.

I will give them all the time they want... I don't mind seeing both of those teams losing... keep sniffing and petting that rose bowl grass... make sure you don't spill the kool aid on it.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 05:12 AM
heckler seriously what's your problem?

heckler
10-22-2007, 05:15 AM
heckler seriously what's your problem?

I really don't know guess I just don't have rose colored glasses...

Bison Karma
10-22-2007, 11:29 AM

Oops.

What was the impact?

By the look of Mr. Green's performance in the classroom---2.3 GPA & 13 ACT---he probably thought the Bison fans were goober fans. Do you really think this kid will ever be admitted to a Big 10 school?

Bison Karma
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
The only place your program is headed is to 1-8 on Saturday..........

Bison bison
10-22-2007, 01:57 PM

then the University of Minnesota is welcome!

gopherz
10-22-2007, 03:35 PM
By the look of Mr. Green's performance in the classroom---2.3 GPA & 13 ACT---he probably thought the Bison fans were goober fans. Do you really think this kid will ever be admitted to a Big 10 school?

Re-taking the ACT. Looking to move up his GPA.

heckler
10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Re-taking the ACT. Looking to move up his GPA.

Wow that is sad. I think he can only go up.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I think so too. I'll go take it for him.

heckler
10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
That is probably a good idea for the U... maybe you should be employed by the U just to do that.

Bison_Pride
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Actually I hope the gophers fill their roster with out of state 4 star recruits. Then they can leave the 3, 2 and 1 star recruits in the region to NDSU. We are better at player development anyway.

heckler
10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Actually I hope the gophers fill their roster with out of state 4 star recruits. Then they can leave the 3, 2 and 1 star recruits in the region to NDSU. We are better at player development anyway.

That is the definition of good coaching. Brewster's players will not be any better when they leave the U compared to when they get there.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
That is probably a good idea for the U... maybe you should be employed by the U just to do that.

I don't think I'd have any problem at all doubling that score seeing as I did it plus some quite easily.

heckler
10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't think I'd have any problem at all doubling that score seeing as I did it plus some quite easily.

I think the NCAA might have a problem with that though.

gopherz
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure they would.

heckler
10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
3 years from now either Brewster will be gone or minnesota will be on academic probation with 10 less scholarships.

Bison Karma
10-22-2007, 03:59 PM
So you are saying you scored above 30????? Riiiiiight! You do understand a 36 is perfect? Its a shame all that ability is going to waste by posting 150+ times a week on the football board of another school AFTER they stomped your team!!

gopherz
10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes sir that is true. Just waiting for class.

heckler
10-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Thought they were called "STUDENT athletes." :smh:

Bison Karma
10-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Thought they were called "STUDENT athletes." :smh:
At minnysota it is "STUPID athletes." Their FB team has the lowest GPA and graduation rates in the Big 10. If they don't improve, they are going to lose 2 schollies next year. After all, you have to be pretty dumb to consider going there!

BISON Thunder
10-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Tell me it isn't so.....Pete Campion's brother (it was his brother correct) from Fergus Falls signed (not verballed) to the Gophers just before Saturday's game. You have to be kidding? What is up with the relatives of former Bison players.......drinking the Kool Aid and going to the Goofers. I mean if they signed with Wisconsin, Nebraska or Iowa I could understand. But the stinking rodents?
WDAY reported this signing this morning. If I heard correctly, they also reported Campion was recruited by Wisconsin and Iowa...but never was contacted by NDSU>

SDbison
10-22-2007, 04:14 PM
WDAY reported this signing this morning. If I heard correctly, they also reported Campion was recruited by Wisconsin and Iowa...but never was contacted by NDSU>
Can someone confirm this is true. Why would NDSU pass on Campion?
Also, any chance Sam Maresh might reconsider his verbal to the Goofers and come to NDSU instead?

roadwarrior
10-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Athletes cannot sign until february. These are verbals only at this point.

roadwarrior
10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Sam Maresh confirmed last week he was going to Minnesota but was wearing green at the game to support his brother.

brewcityboy
10-22-2007, 04:29 PM

I give you boys a big congrats on over-running the Dome yesterday. I'll bet it was great to see all of that green in there. At the end of November we'll compliment that with a "Sea of Red".Good luck the rest of the way. I'm pulling for you to end up ranked #1.

Go Badgers!!!!!!!!

KC Bison
10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
I do have a serious question for you Gopher fans. You say that you need to recruit better players and I suppose that might be true. But if that's the case, then how do you lose to a team that is full of your rejects? It seems to me that you are a bigger need of better coaching or better scouting/recruiting?

aces1180
10-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Go Badgers!!!!!!!!

I disagree...I want Minnesota to run the table now and make our win look even more impressive.

56BISON73
10-22-2007, 07:02 PM

It seems to me Punky wants to run a system that he doent have the talent for. He need to use the talent he has in a productive manner. PL

KC Bison
10-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I disagree...I want Minnesota to run the table now and make our win look even more impressive.

Minnesota will be lucky to win one game the rest of the way.

NDSUstudent
10-22-2007, 07:12 PM

Anything can happen in a rivalry game. Their game with Iowa should be very interesting since one team has no offense and the other no defense.

aces1180
10-22-2007, 07:54 PM

This is true, but stranger things have happened.

1bizon1
10-23-2007, 01:12 AM

Would you rather go to NDSU and there looks like a chance the Bizon will be in the playoffs quite often for the next few years....OR....go to Minnesota where the program continues to go backwards? No sign of light at the end of the tunnel except for a new stadium. I have not had the "pleasure" of being in the Humpy in years, what a dump!
And don't tell me Punky just needs time. He is not a head coach now nor will he ever be. Same with the clown that coaches your Viqueens. anyway, just my humble opinion...

GFBison
10-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Campion is only a Junior. I wonder why he committed early.

SDbison
10-23-2007, 02:04 AM
He must have drank some of Punky's kool aid.

SirHinn
10-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Would you rather go to NDSU and there looks like a chance the Bizon will be in the playoffs quite often for the next few years....OR....go to Minnesota where the program continues to go backwards? No sign of light at the end of the tunnel except for a new stadium. I have not had the "pleasure" of being in the Humpy in years, what a dump!
And don't tell me Punky just needs time. He is not a head coach now nor will he ever be. Same with the clown that coaches your Viqueens. anyway, just my humble opinion...

I hate to break it to ya but 99 out of 100 kids take the scholarship to Minnesota. NDSU is a great school with great tradition but we're talking about the chance to be able to play for a Big 10 championship here. You also say no sign of light at the end of the tunnel which is just plain silly talk. If there were no sign of light at the end of the tunnel, he wouldn't be getting recruits that the Gophers only dreamed of getting before he got there. You witnessed first hand what happens when you can't recruit and when you don't have any speed on your defense what so ever. There's a reason why Mason had such a huge smirk on his face through out the game, he knew he was the one who put them in the position they are currently in. I guess if it were up to you though, all coaches would get 1 season before they lose their job.

SirHinn
10-23-2007, 02:38 AM

That's pretty classy on your part, should we mention some of NDSU's players act scores and GPA's as well then or should we show a little more class then that? I like to think most Bison fans have a little more class then what you show.

semobison
10-23-2007, 02:53 AM
SirHinn, thanks for posting what I was just thinking. We, like everyone else, have a few knucklehead fans! I will pass judgement on Brewster in a couple of years when his recruits are actually playing.

met1990
10-23-2007, 02:53 AM

I assume he's got a great shot at starting right away, considering the current state of the Gophers.

heckler
10-23-2007, 03:28 AM
That's pretty classy on your part, should we mention some of NDSU's players act scores and GPA's as well then or should we show a little more class then that? I like to think most Bison fans have a little more class then what you show.

He is just making a point that those numbers will not cut it in Big Ten football, unless minnesota wants less scholarships because of probation, you don't have to jump down his throat.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2007, 03:47 AM

I appreciate your comments. I've been admiring the Badger program for quite a while now. I couldn't believe the ticket problem at the Rose Bowl the last time the Badgers went.

I'd like to thank the state of Wisconsin for giving the Bison many fine athletes over the years also. It's been a good trade. Please don't take this as smack, because it's not. Sometimes the written word can deliver a different message than intended. I am serious about this. I think that North Dakota State has earned an inroad to athletes throughout the upper-midwest. We'll probably never be a big name like a Big Ten school, but who knows? Boise State did it. Nebraska did it out of little old Lincoln, and Oklahoma did it out of Norman, OK. Why not NDSU from Fargo? Someday...maybe.

We're in a good position right now. We're near the end of five years of purgatory that the NCAA imposes on an established (nationally recognized) program because it wants to move up?! It's been a piece of hell sometimes. We had six road games in a row last year that included an upset at Ball State (the team that took Michigan to the wire at their house last year), Georgia Southern (a traditional I-AA power), and a few other not-so-fun matchups. We completely outplayed Minnesota on paper last year, but we failed in the red zone...and lost by a point on a blocked field goal. So we've had our share of fun too. We had more yardage last Saturday than the Gophers gained in the two games combined. That says something.

I do have one bone to pick with Wisconsin however. Don Morton was dissected by the Badger faithful and then his replacement began winning with the talent that Don brought in, and with the table that he set. Don is one of the best coaches that the Bison have had. He had several teams in the 80s that would have been very competitive in the Big Ten...meaning, we would have been in the middle somewhere. But sometimes a great person can be in the wrong place at the wrong time too. I understand this. It's really not hard feelings, but Morton deserved better. He came to Wisconsin when the program was in a shambles and did some of the grunt work, got the house in order, was fired, and then the next guy got to polish it up.

The guy that responded to you from Minnesota about the lack of effect that this will have on recruiting is obviously pretty upset right now. I'm a partial Minnesota fan too...so I understand his feelings. Most Minnesota fans know that all that has happened will impact recruiting for a while. There were a ton of high school athletes in the stadium, and watching, that probably had their eyes opened. Maybe we'll pick a plumb or two also. We can share though.

Again...this is 'not' smack. What's going on with the Badgers right now? They seem to be up one weekend and down the other. Is it a QB problem, coaching??? (not smack...just a football question...curious...not smack)

Thanks for the encouragement. Contrary to popular belief, we have at least two games left that are pretty scary. Cal Poly has had some strong games, and South Dakota State is vastly underrated. They always start slow and then come on like a freight train. They could play with a lot of good teams right now.

One year they're going to bust through and make a name for themselves too.

There is one lesson that I've taken from the last couple of years.

The difference between D2, DI-AA, & DI isn't as huge as I once thought. When a strong D2 program plays a mid-level DI-AA team, it is probably going to be a good game. When a DI-AA team plays a mid-level DI program...it will be a game.

There's been the argument around whether NDSU could play in the Big Ten. To me it's irrelevant. We never will...and no one that I know wants to. I don't envy anyone that has to contend with PSU, OSU, and Michigan yearly. They hardly have to leave campus to pull in a great recruiting class because of the population around them, the great HS football around them, and the 'name.' I admire Wisconsin & Iowa for having broken through a few times. Not easy.

How would we do in the Big Ten this year? Hard to really say without playing the games. Minnesotans say that we'd get murdered..."one win, they say." I say that if we stayed healthy, we'd be in the middle somewhere. I'd fear playing Ohio State...no, I wouldn't wanna watch. But this particular Bison team seems to have no fear, and few limits. No one can out-phyiscal them strength-wise. Last year when we beat Ball State, the Ball State announcers said that the Bison were better than Purdue & Indiana...teams that Ball State had played the two weeks prior. They said that our defensive front seven was much stronger.

The big difference comes when a good DI program lands a handful of very elite athletes (with great speed) that have great chemistry. That's where the Rose Bowl teams come from, and that's where teams like LSU & Florida come from (OSU, USC, etc). Take away about 5 or 6 of the very elite players, and you have about 100 teams that would be pretty even...with a few exceptions of course.

Good luck to the Badgers. I think that when Minnesota gets their on-campus stadium back that there will be an awakening of the program. Moving to the Metrodome in the early 80s and tearing down the old stadium was a huge mistake. They really haven't had the proper atmosphere for about 25 years. The baggie is 'not' a collegiate environment.

Later.

SirHinn
10-23-2007, 04:13 AM
He is just making a point that those numbers will not cut it in Big Ten football, unless minnesota wants less scholarships because of probation, you don't have to jump down his throat.

As long as that player meets the minimum requirements to get into the University and maintains his grades, he'll be eligible to play football end of story. If he doesn't, he either won't get in or he won't be playing college football. Stating a student's GPA, ACT and questioning his intelligence has absolutely zero relevance to anything else mentioned. He was trying to not only bring down the University, but the player as well.

SirHinn
10-23-2007, 04:15 AM
I appreciate your comments. I've been admiring the Badger program for quite a while now. I couldn't believe the ticket problem at the Rose Bowl the last time the Badgers went.

I'd like to thank the state of Wisconsin for giving the Bison many fine athletes over the years also. It's been a good trade. Please don't take this as smack, because it's not. Sometimes the written word can deliver a different message than intended. I am serious about this. I think that North Dakota State has earned an inroad to athletes throughout the upper-midwest. We'll probably never be a big name like a Big Ten school, but who knows? Boise State did it. Nebraska did it out of little old Lincoln, and Oklahoma did it out of Norman, OK. Why not NDSU from Fargo? Someday...maybe.

We're in a good position right now. We're near the end of five years of purgatory that the NCAA imposes on an established (nationally recognized) program because it wants to move up?! It's been a piece of hell sometimes. We had six road games in a row last year that included an upset at Ball State (the team that took Michigan to the wire at their house last year), Georgia Southern (a traditional I-AA power), and a few other not-so-fun matchups. We completely outplayed Minnesota on paper last year, but we failed in the red zone...and lost by a point on a blocked field goal. So we've had our share of fun too. We had more yardage last Saturday than the Gophers gained in the two games combined. That says something.

I do have one bone to pick with Wisconsin however. Don Morton was dissected by the Badger faithful and then his replacement began winning with the talent that Don brought in, and with the table that he set. Don is one of the best coaches that the Bison have had. He had several teams in the 80s that would have been very competitive in the Big Ten...meaning, we would have been in the middle somewhere. But sometimes a great person can be in the wrong place at the wrong time too. I understand this. It's really not hard feelings, but Morton deserved better. He came to Wisconsin when the program was in a shambles and did some of the grunt work, got the house in order, was fired, and then the next guy got to polish it up.

The guy that responded to you from Minnesota about the lack of effect that this will have on recruiting is obviously pretty upset right now. I'm a partial Minnesota fan too...so I understand his feelings. Most Minnesota fans know that all that has happened will impact recruiting for a while. There were a ton of high school athletes in the stadium, and watching, that probably had their eyes opened. Maybe we'll pick a plumb or two also. We can share though.

Again...this is 'not' smack. What's going on with the Badgers right now? They seem to be up one weekend and down the other. Is it a QB problem, coaching??? (not smack...just a football question...curious...not smack)

Thanks for the encouragement. Contrary to popular belief, we have at least two games left that are pretty scary. Cal Poly has had some strong games, and South Dakota State is vastly underrated. They always start slow and then come on like a freight train. They could play with a lot of good teams right now.

One year they're going to bust through and make a name for themselves too.

There is one lesson that I've taken from the last couple of years.

The difference between D2, DI-AA, & DI isn't as huge as I once thought. When a strong D2 program plays a mid-level DI-AA team, it is probably going to be a good game. When a DI-AA team plays a mid-level DI program...it will be a game.

There's been the argument around whether NDSU could play in the Big Ten. To me it's irrelevant. We never will...and no one that I know wants to. I don't envy anyone that has to contend with PSU, OSU, and Michigan yearly. They hardly have to leave campus to pull in a great recruiting class because of the population around them, the great HS football around them, and the 'name.' I admire Wisconsin & Iowa for having broken through a few times. Not easy.

How would we do in the Big Ten this year? Hard to really say without playing the games. Minnesotans say that we'd get murdered..."one win, they say." I say that if we stayed healthy, we'd be in the middle somewhere. I'd fear playing Ohio State...no, I wouldn't wanna watch. But this particular Bison team seems to have no fear, and few limits. No one can out-phyiscal them strength-wise. Last year when we beat Ball State, the Ball State announcers said that the Bison were better than Purdue & Indiana...teams that Ball State had played the two weeks prior. They said that our defensive front seven was much stronger.

The big difference comes when a good DI program lands a handful of very elite athletes (with great speed) that have great chemistry. That's where the Rose Bowl teams come from, and that's where teams like LSU & Florida come from (OSU, USC, etc). Take away about 5 or 6 of the very elite players, and you have about 100 teams that would be pretty even...with a few exceptions of course.

Good luck to the Badgers. I think that when Minnesota gets their on-campus stadium back that there will be an awakening of the program. Moving to the Metrodome in the early 80s and tearing down the old stadium was a huge mistake. They really haven't had the proper atmosphere for about 25 years. The baggie is 'not' a collegiate environment.

Later.

Good post as usual, definately enjoyed the read.

heckler
10-23-2007, 04:20 AM
As long as that player meets the minimum requirements to get into the University and maintains his grades, he'll be eligible to play football end of story. If he doesn't, he either won't get in or he won't be playing college football. Stating a student's GPA, ACT and questioning his intelligence has absolutely zero relevance to anything else mentioned. He was trying to not only bring down the University, but the player as well.

That is if Minnesota doesn't do something like they did in basketball awhile back. Stating a student's GPA and ACT is a matter of facts nothing more. He was not trying to bring down the U or the player but simply stating he might have to get his grades and ACT up to play some ball. And I guess since we are talking about recruiting it does have some relevance. Guess he only knows what he was trying to post, why don't you just ask him? Singling out one individual isn't what I would call classy. But who am I to judge who is classy and who isn't? I know very well that I am not the best person when it comes to being "classy."