PDA

View Full Version : from worse to worser

bisonmike2
10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
From twincities.com

Briefly: Brewster said Tuesday that senior free safety Duran Cooley could be out for the season because of a right leg injury he suffered in a 49-48 double-overtime loss at Northwestern last Saturday. Freshman Kyle Theret will make his first start this week in Cooley's place.

Freshman safety making his first start against us. Good news for us, bad news for them.

Renegade Rambler
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Cooley is an excellent example of one of Coach Mason's recruits. A good, solid kid. Theret is a freshman that Coach Brewster (who I don't cheer for -- I cheer for the GOPHERS) brought in, after he threw out a bunch of good kids Coach Mason recruited.

aces1180
10-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow...The Gophers are banged up pretty good.

Renegade Rambler
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Wow...The Gophers are banged up pretty good.

That is what happens when Prexy B and IDIOT AD Joel threw Mason out and Brewster did the same with Mason's players.

tony
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Man, that sucks. Their freshman safety, Theret, is showing a lot of promise - and, of course, they have Dominque Barber back there too.

I sure would rather have NDSU playing an undefeated, uninjured Gopher team but that's not in the cards.

However, I do think Willie VanDeSteeg will probably play unless the Gophers blow us out early. He might not start but the kid is plenty tough.

WildBill
10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Cooley is an excellent example of one of Coach Mason's recruits. A good, solid kid. Theret is a freshman that Coach Brewster (who I don't cheer for -- I cheer for the GOPHERS) brought in, after he threw out a bunch of good kids Coach Mason recruited.

Cooley is an example of kid that mason recruited alright. Good,solid kid that is overmatched most of the time. Theret is a freshman,but he can play

gopherz
10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Theret has played a bit this year and he looks, well, like a freshman. He seems to be very talented but definitely makes some foolish mistakes at times. I'm sure he will be helped by having Barber back there with him though. Have a feeling Walker will challenge Theret early and often, that is, if he's not already all over our cornerbacks.

TAILG8R
10-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Theret has played a bit this year and he looks, well, like a freshman. He seems to be very talented but definitely makes some foolish mistakes at times. I'm sure he will be helped by having Barber back there with him though. Have a feeling Walker will challenge Theret early and often, that is, if he's not already all over our cornerbacks.

He may fall prey to a few Walker pump fakes. Steve is pretty god at drawing the safeties toward one side of the filed to clear room for his receivers.

gopherz
10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
You got that right my friend, we could be seeing a few deep balls going his way. Our only chance is that Walker waivers just enough on his accuracy that Theret has a chance to make a play. Brewster and his personnel decisions are definitely showing that he's playing for the future though, which can tend to be a bit frustrating.

EagleBison
10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I remember 1983 when a NDSU Freshman QB stepped in against UNO, 4th game of the year. And the rest is history. Sometimes the young guy steps in and does better than the guy he's replacing.

*Jeff Bentrim for those that are too young to remember.

gopherz
10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
See the thing is, someone like Theret, unless he really makes a big interception or something, only gets recognized when he does something terrible, like get burned deep. That is why I could never come in and play safety in such a huge game like that, as a QB like Bentrim you can come in and almost single-handedly win the game, or lose it, its in your hands. One mistake as a guy in the secondary and you just made yourself look like a fool.

No_Skill
10-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I remember 1983 when a NDSU Freshman QB stepped in against UNO, 4th game of the year. And the rest is history. Sometimes the young guy steps in and does better than the guy he's replacing.

That would be me, but I do know my Bison History. :D

99Bison
10-17-2007, 10:42 PM
That would be me, but I do know my Bison History. :D

Mr. Steve Walker had a similar path.

X-Factor
10-18-2007, 01:29 AM

I remember another soon to be legend by the name of Steve Walker that stepped in and started his first collegiate game against ranked Northwestern State and won out that year. Fast forward a few years and its 26-4 as a starter. :eeek:

CaBisonFan
10-18-2007, 02:35 AM

I'm not smacking. Why do you think Mason was fired? It seemed to me that he had a reasonably reliable product on the field, and that there were years when Minnesota was capable of knocking on the door to the Rose Bowl. True, no championships, but geez, with Ohio State, Michigan, & Penn State there absolutely every year, what do people expect? There are very few easy games in the Big Ten. Mason held his own most of the time, and some years, more than his own. Was he fired because Sid Hartman and the good old boys just wanted him out? Did the powers that be think that they'd find a coach that was a lot better than Mason?

WildBill
10-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Mason was ousted because of his inability to get to the better bowls. Not to mention he couldn't recruit defense. Mason was a smug,pompeous,you know what. Boosters simply got tired of his act and used the TT disaster to get rid of him

SlickVic
10-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Mason was ousted because of his inability to get to the better bowls. Not to mention he couldn't recruit defense. Mason was a smug,pompeous,you know what. Boosters simply got tired of his act and used the TT disaster to get rid of him

people always say this and i just don't buy it...i listened to his sunday morning show a lot back in the day and he was a lot like bohl is on the radio really friendly with the callers and what not but those callers would just badger him...i personally admire mason...he is a class act

WildBill
10-18-2007, 03:27 AM
people always say this and i just don't buy it...i listened to his sunday morning show a lot back in the day and he was a lot like bohl is on the radio really friendly with the callers and what not but those callers would just badger him...i personally admire mason...he is a class act

Then you don't really know what Glen mason really is about.

SlickVic
10-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Then you don't really know what Glen mason really is about.

really? i've met the man...have you?

WildBill
10-18-2007, 03:40 AM
really? i've met the man...have you?

Yes,i have

EagleBison
10-18-2007, 12:16 PM

There was also talk that he didn't recruit good enough in Minnesota, and that his relationship with Minnesota High School coaches in general was not very good. That is why Brewster made it a mission to get to all the High Schools in Minnesota, and have special events for High School coaches.

TAILG8R
10-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Brewster made it a mission to get to all the High Schools in Minnesota, and have special events for High School coaches.

Sounds familiar.