PDA

View Full Version : Mason at Nebraska? (Sporting News)

username
10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
If Callahan goes, Nebraska can't blow it again
E-MAIL Print Comment 47

By Tom Dienhart, Sporting News
Posted October 16, 2007

Things have reached a critical mass at Nebraska with the firing of AD Steve Pederson. And the long-term future of the program is at stake.

It was Pederson's idea to instigate the change in culture at Lincoln that saw Frank Solich get fired and Bill Callahan hired.

Pederson alienated a lot of people in Lincoln. That's OK -- if your changes bring success. But Pederson's regime struggled. He just received a contract extension over the summer and still is owed more than $2 million.

The next to go may to be Callahan. If he is let go, he'll also be owed a wad of cash, as he inked an extension earlier this fall.

But money never stood in the way of a big-time school that wanted to make a change.

Many natives got their wish when former Husker coach Tom Osborne was named interim AD. That will mollify the masses, but is just a short-term fix. One of his first orders of business will be determining the fate of Callahan. (An interesting name for the full-time AD post, though a long shot, is Barry Alvarez. The big fella is a Nebraska alum who worshiped the architect of Big Red football: Bob Devaney. While it would take a lot to get Alvarez out of his kingdom at Wisconsin, where he is AD, coming to Nebraska to serve as AD and rehabber of Big Red pride may be the ticket.)

With Callahan's future tenuous, at best, speculation on his successor has begun. A frontrunner has to be LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini. He ran the Husker defense in 2003 and was interim head coach for Nebraska's bowl win over Michigan State that year. Despite being wildly popular among Big Red fans and good at what he does, Pelini just got a cursory look from Pederson for the full-time gig.

If Nebraska does change coaches, it seems vital to get a guy with some ties to the school. That brings you back to Pelini.

Nebraska seems to be going through the same growing pains Oklahoma suffered after Barry Switzer left. The Sooners tried and failed with Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake before striking gold with a rising defensive coordinator: Bob Stoops.

In replacing Osborne, Nebraska tried and failed with Frank Solich and now, apparently, with Callahan. That brings us back to Pelini, whose resume parallels Stoops in many ways before he got the job in Norman in 1999.

It all makes too much sense.

If Nebraska wants an established coach, how about Glen Mason? He knows the recruiting terrain from his days coaching Minnesota and Kansas. And his ground-pounding style would be embraced by the Husker faithful. Did you know Mason's Gophers set an NCAA record by producing two 1,000-yard rushers in a season three years in a row (2003-2005)? Yeah, it sounds a lot like Nebraska football. If Mason can do that at a place like Minnesota, imagine what he can do with the type of talent he can attract to Nebraska.

And look how veteran coaches like Dennis Erickson (Arizona State) and Rich Brooks (Kentucky) have done when given another chance.

Whatever Nebraska does, it can't blow this hire.

Groh must stick the landing

Al Groh has done a good job rallying Virginia to six consecutive wins after a disastrous season-opening loss at Wyoming. But it could all unravel with a bad finish. And that's likely, given the fact the Cavs have games remaining at Maryland, at N.C. State, vs. Wake Forest, at Miami, and vs. Virginia Tech.

A flop, and Groh -- who entered the year in the crosshairs -- may be out.

A guy to watch if a change is made in Charlottesville is Harvard coach Tim Murphy, who coached Cincinnati from 1989-93. Murphy has grown since that stint, winning three Ivy League titles and forging two unbeaten seasons in Cambridge. Could Murphy be the next Jim Tressel?

Clemson looks restless

Word is Tommy Bowden may need to win nine games to keep his job. That means he would need to go 5-1 down the stretch. And games remain at Maryland, vs. Wake Forest and Boston College, and at South Carolina.

If a change is made, the Tigers could look to a coach with a defensive edge. Virginia Tech's Bud Foster is a guy who's ready and able. He has nothing left to prove. Plus, he would instill needed toughness and improve what has been a horrid special teams situation.

And Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp should get a look. He is one of the nation's hottest coordinators and a rising star.

Expect Pitt to stand pat

Pitt is struggling, and Dave Wannstedt is feeling heat. But look for him to get another year.

There is no AD in place. And remember this: Pitt had to almost beg Wanny to take the job. Those things make if difficult to see Pitt dumping Wannstedt, who is playing several youngsters, after just three seasons.

On the AD front, Nebraska associate AD Marc Boehm, who previously worked at Pitt, may be a frontrunner for the post.

Etc.

A source told me that Bowling Green coach Gregg Brandon approached athletic director Greg Christopher in the offseason about getting a contract extension. Brandon was denied. Bowling Green is 3-3 this year in Brandon's fifth season.

With Sonny Lubick all but set to retire at Colorado State, it looks like Montana coach Bobby Hauck may emerge as a front-runner for the post.

bisonmike2
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
worst. idea. ever.

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 06:35 PM
worst. idea. ever.

what mason at nebraska? masons the man minnesota shoulda never canned him...just love him as a color commentator i hope he gets picked up by abc to call the games with herbie and musberger...masons the man...i think it's bohl to nebraska signed sealed and delivered unless osbourne has the "nads" to take over himself...whoever wrote that article obviously has no clue trying to say that dennis erickson would be in the running...that would be over touchdown tommys dead body

gopherz
10-17-2007, 06:36 PM
That would never happen, Mason is a joke.

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 06:38 PM

mason is the man

bisonmike2
10-17-2007, 06:39 PM
mason was average at Minnesota. Why would Neb. want him over anybody else? For their next coach they will be going for the big guns.

gopherz
10-17-2007, 06:44 PM
He was average at best. They don't want a coach who picks up all his wins by destroying all the terrible teams and getting crushed in conference. They need a big name, someone who wont bring the team to mediocrity and leave them there, that's why he got fired here.

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 06:45 PM
mason was average at Minnesota. Why would Neb. want him over anybody else? For their next coach they will be going for the big guns.

not if they have to buy out callahans contract for 3 mil...mason has no chance of being hired at nebraska but he's living the good life in the booth...why do you think bob davie hasn't returned to the sidelines? masons the man cant wait for him to be in the booth with herbie and musberger his color commentary is pretty slick for 1 year on the job...he knows his stuff and i like him a lot more than bob davie or bob greesy

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
He was average at best. They don't want a coach who picks up all his wins by destroying all the terrible teams and getting crushed in conference. They need a big name, someone who wont bring the team to mediocrity and leave them there, that's why he got fired here.

minnesota = mediocrity

gopherz
10-17-2007, 06:50 PM
That's why we made a coaching change. Sure, we are going through a rough period but the way recruiting is looking right now and with the new stadium coming in 2009 our program is headed in the right direction with Coach Brewster! We know he can sell the program, lets see if he can get this talent he's recruiting to WIN!

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
That's why we made a coaching change. Sure, we are going through a rough period but the way recruiting is looking right now and with the new stadium coming in 2009 our program is headed in the right direction with Coach Brewster! We know he can sell the program, lets see if he can get this talent he's recruiting to WIN!

what mason didn't have talent? marion barber the third and lawrence marony are both pretty studly sunday tailbacks...tyrone carter, north dakotas own greg eslinger, payne and spaeith are both on nfl rosters...i think gary russel as well...ben utecht has a super bowl ring...masons a man, brewsters a boy ;)

TAILG8R
10-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Again, why is this dribble about Mason in the NDSU Football section?

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Again, why is this dribble about Mason in the NDSU Football section?

because masons the man

WarBison
10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I was at the Nebraska game vs Ok State last weekend. Callahan is def on the hot seat according to some of the things i heard in the crowd. They were not happy to say the least.

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 07:09 PM
I was at the Nebraska game vs Ok State last weekend. Callahan is def on the hot seat according to some of the things i heard in the crowd. They were not happy to say the least.

don't worry about it bohls on his way

bisonmike2
10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
don't worry about it bohls on his way

Do not say that! You should be banned for uttering such blasphemy!

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Do not say that! You should be banned for uttering such blasphemy!

if osbourne doesnt have the "nads" to take over you can bet he will have confidence in his boy bohl to get the job done at probably a steal of a deal...if they have to buy out callahans contract a big name is probably not gettable and i don't think touchdown tommy is interested in big names...i think the standard for a big time college football coach is around 2 mill a year...buying out callahans contract and throwing bohl a mill or so would be best for both coaching and contract purposes

silkamilkamonico
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't know why they would want Mason.

Despite their recent struggles and curioius changes the last few years, Nebreska is still a school that will do anything and everything to make it's program elite.

If a top tier coach can deal with the unreal expectations, it's a great job to have on not only a monetary level but a competitive one as well.

gopherz
10-17-2007, 07:47 PM
They wouldn't want Mason, drop it.

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
They wouldn't want Mason, drop it.

hahahaha good post

Renegade Rambler
10-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Who in the HECK are YOU to say that? Glen Mason rebuilt the Gopher Program with no support from Prexy B and his sidekick Joel. He got us the new stadium. His thanks? He was thrown out on his A$$ by the IDIOT MADturi. Now we are left with debt we canNOT repay.

Nebraska would be smart to hire one of THE GREATEST COACHES of ALL TIME.

Shawn-O
10-17-2007, 08:27 PM
what mason didn't have talent? marion barber the third and lawrence marony are both pretty studly sunday tailbacks...tyrone carter, north dakotas own greg eslinger, payne and spaeith are both on nfl rosters...i think gary russel as well...ben utecht has a super bowl ring...masons a man, brewsters a boy ;)

How many New Year's Day bowls did they make it to? Zero. They'll attract better candidates than Mason.

SlickVic
10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Who in the HECK are YOU to say that? Glen Mason rebuilt the Gopher Program with no support from Prexy B and his sidekick Joel. He got us the new stadium. His thanks? He was thrown out on his A$$ by the IDIOT MADturi. Now we are left with debt we canNOT repay.

ahhhh wouldn't go so far as to call him one of THE GREATEST COACHES of ALL TIME...he's not even close...def agree with you tho he did do a decent rebuilding job with no support whatsoever and had a major role in that stadium getting built...never should have been canned but don't worry about him he's living the good life in the booth i could listen to his color commentary all day long hopefully abc grabs him real quick to replace greesy or join herb and musberger

WildBill
10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Mason lucked out on Barber,he wasn't even gonna offer him. Payne was a nobody recruit that made himself a player. Same with Eslinger and Setterstrom. As far as Maroney goes,we were a compromise. He wanted to go to Illinois.

SDSUJack3031
10-17-2007, 10:47 PM

That statement is a joke...

sambini
10-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Mason will not be at Nebraska. Bo Pelini is the man for the job.

SlickVic
10-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Mason will not be at Nebraska. Bo Pelini is the man for the job.

yeah when miles moves to michigan bo pelini is the man for the job...at LSU

EagleBison
10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Mason as a coach will get you to the next level, which he did at Minnesota. That level is not the top level though.

bisoneer
10-19-2007, 02:26 AM
mason sucked, they should cancel the stadium and put the cash elsewhere

KC_Hats
10-19-2007, 03:06 AM
You think the Husker fans are pissed with Callahan they would burn down the stadium if the idiot Mason was hired. That guy is an average coach at best. Coach Bohl outcoached him last year and Bohl's team dominated his team with less scholarshipped players. Mason will be very lucky to ever get hired by a BCS school again. MAC or something like that is where he belongs.

sambini
10-19-2007, 03:53 AM
You think the Husker fans are pissed with Callahan they would burn down the stadium if the idiot Mason was hired. That guy is an average coach at best. Coach Bohl outcoached him last year and Bohl's team dominated his team with less scholarshipped players. Mason will be very lucky to ever get hired by a BCS school again. MAC or something like that is where he belongs.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RodentiaX
10-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Mason's a good relief pitcher. He did get some good talent on offense, although not a lot on defense. But that talent was gone by the time he was fired. I think he could get hired any time he wanted to, but he's holding out for a BCS offer.

KC_Hats
10-26-2007, 03:19 AM
yeah when miles moves to michigan bo pelini is the man for the job...at LSU

Why leave LSU and the SEC for Michigan and the Big Ten? LSU is a much better program right now why move to another one that isn't as good?

56BISON73
10-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Why leave LSU and the SEC for Michigan and the Big Ten? LSU is a much better program right now why move to another one that isn't as good?
I think its his almamater. PL

SlickVic
10-26-2007, 04:54 AM
I think its his almamater. PL

miles is a michigan man no doubt about it...played OFFENSIVE LINE for bo my oh my...he has a clause in his contract the only school he can leave for with no penalty is michigan...lsu is a much better program than michigan? i beg to differ ;)

sambini
10-26-2007, 11:33 AM
The Wake Forest coach is being mentioned also for the Huskers? When is Bill C going to be let go Mr.B ANY INSIGHT?