PDA

View Full Version : Internal Conflict at MVSU

NWNDBison
10-13-2007, 01:15 PM
It's hard to find news on the MVSU football program, and when you do find it, the links disappear quickly. Earlier this week, there was an article from one of the newspapers around Itta Bena with the theme that MVSU coach Willie Totten remains positive. In the story Totten was quoted as saying something to the effect of, if you talk to the players, they have a harder time staying positive. (Link to this article has disappeared.)

Then Jeff Kolpack reports in today's In-Forum that Coach Totten didn't make any of his players available to the media this week.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=180698&section=Sports

“When you’re 1-4, guys speak out of emotion,” he said. “Right now, we’re at an emotional low point, and what they say might not come out right. When the team is down like this, it falls on my shoulders. I am the reason we’re 1-4, and that’s why I am speaking for the entire team.”

Well, I looked up that article in the Greenwood Commonwealth, as I'm sure many of you did. But did you notice the reader comments at the bottom of the article? Three of the four comments there are very negative toward Coach Totten.

One of those comments claims to be from a recent former player who seems to have the inside scoop on what's going on in the locker room. Now that may or may not be true, but what this guy says with his limited grammar skills (this guy went to college???) seems to fit in with the subdued attitude coming out of Itta Bena this week:

former player wrote on Oct 11, 2007 3:02 PM:
" The emotions were low when we went 0-11 and jones was fired. We as players did exactly what you said "help you politic so you can get job and you got it. Then we went 5-6 and after that season you got greedy and that's when it hit the fan. By bringing in your brother and weaving out Gregory & Smithers and last but not least turning your back on the players. Always telling us we quit on you after every lost, we never played hard enough for you. Like we want to lose on purpose." WE'LL HELLO WE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME." Now, you say that the team is divided. You knew it was like that when you started to first fire coaches because we like them better than you. I have alot more to say but I choose not to. If you want to know the truth get a roster from '02-'04 when the real turmol started to happen and asked any player on those rosters about anything you wanna know. As far as the team being divided its your job to pull them together. That is something that only the team should know not the media. There you go again letting the cat out of the bag. Like when you told us that what happen with Gregory was not business. I know what happen in the locker room stays there. But totten since you will tell the people the truth and keep the team business inside. I thought I' ll give you a running start. I' ll stop right here I'am tired of writting. "

Full story: http://www.gwcommonwealth.com/articles/2007/10/10/sports/local_sports/sports1.txt

If a quarter of this is true, the Bison could be playing not only a team with only one win starting a third string quarterback, the Herd could be facing a team on the verge of mutiny. Take it for what it's worth. Take it with a huge grain of salt, but it sure is an interesting read.

Gotta kinda feel sorry for 'em.

One more article from the Greenwood Commonwealth:

"These are tough times for Mississippi Valley State."

http://www.gwcommonwealth.com/articles/2007/10/12/sports/local_sports/sports1.txt

FarSouth Bison
10-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey I don't blame the coach for not making any of his players available to the media, those young players don't need some reporter asking questions on the problems the team is having. Good move on the coaches part.