PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened (GSMB update)

Hammersmith
10-04-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/jobs/non_broadbanded/positions/00026033.shtml

I've been checking out the employment page every once in a while since some of you clued me in on it. It looks like there'll be a new director of the GSMB and pep bands next year. I'm guessing it will link in to the new Bison Arts initiative Chapman announced during his State of the University, and I think the band might be getting access to some of that $41M earmarked for scholarship endowments. I'm a little uneasy about the required doctorate(I think it might exclude some good candidates) but overall I'm happy about the restructuring.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of any current GSMB members if you're comfortable sharing them. Have you been informed this was coming? Does the current band feel it's a good thing? Are the students being involved in the process?

edit: Looking back on my post, I should've made it clear that Warren Olfert(current director) isn't leaving. Instead, a brand new position is being created to handle the athletic bands. Olfert will still run the concert bands while the new guy will run the GSMB and pep bands.

Tatanka
10-05-2007, 12:06 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k243/rickybobby26/6299bac9.jpg
Thank you sweet baby Jesus!

WYOBISONMAN
10-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Great news. I am happy to hear it!

BigDeal
10-05-2007, 05:07 AM
The way most universities are set up, they have a director for concert bands and another director for athletic bands - at least the division I schools. Dr. Olfert's current job includes not only the marching band but teaching other music classes, a concert band that goes full year, plus other responsibilites with different programs related to music in North Dakota. It may not seem like a lot, but it really is. Also, marching band, regardless of the size, is a logistics nightmare and is very time consuming.

Personally, I've been to a few Gold Star Concert band concerts and I think they do a tremendous job under Dr. Olfert. It's a very good band if you've ever heard them in the concert hall. There is no need for change and I'm glad they aren't.

As far as having a new band director position for athletic bands, I think it is a good move by the department. Suprisingly, there is no formal pep band at NDSU in the winter. It actually has absolutely no relation with the GSB. Members of the pep band are just random musicians who commit their time to playing band with no financial or academic compensation. Many don't participate in music in any other way at the university. There has been a push for something more formal to develop. It looks like it could happen as soon as next year.

Also, it would be great to have someone who's job was to only look after the marching band. Marching band isn't a "fall only" activity. It takes a lot of work in the winter, spring, and summer to keep it rollin' the way it should. Keep in mind that the band wants to grow. The students want it to grow, the director wants it to grow, and the university wants it to grow. The process for making it grow has been overlooked by the university for some time. I think they are finally starting to get it. In a few years I hope the band is around 150-175 members. That is a realistic number considering that there is absolutely no marching tradition in North Dakota high schools. You don't need 350+ people on a field to have a good band. There is some good stuff happening. Be positive and patient.

G-city Bison Fan
10-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I am quite excited about this move. Hopefully they bring in someone with some energy to get the GSMB to the level it should be performing at.

Ivy
10-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Great to hear. Having the band at NDSU sporting events is awesome and I hope this will make it even better.

stpaulbison
10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
As far as having a new band director position for athletic bands, I think it is a good move by the department. Suprisingly, there is no formal pep band at NDSU in the winter. It actually has absolutely no relation with the GSB. Members of the pep band are just random musicians who commit their time to playing band with no financial or academic compensation. Many don't participate in music in any other way at the university. There has been a push for something more formal to develop. It looks like it could happen as soon as next year.

I had a friend who was in the GSB who just volunteered his time to play at basketball games. Even after he stopped playing in the marching band, he showed up to play at basketball games. Pretty sad if we don't have an official band playing at our basketball games when we go to the big dance next year.

BISON Thunder
10-05-2007, 05:48 PM
This is off topic, but I had the opportunity to attend a USC/Notre Dame football game in South Bend a couple years ago. The aura of the campus was fun and the game was great...but as great as the game was, the marching bands performances were at least as impressive! They were really quite remarkable. I do not know how many musicians are in their bands, but they both used the entire football field with their halftime performances. The music they played brought goose bumps.

56BISON73
10-05-2007, 09:27 PM
This is off topic, but I had the opportunity to attend a USC/Notre Dame football game in South Bend a couple years ago. The aura of the campus was fun and the game was great...but as great as the game was, the marching bands performances were at least as impressive! They were really quite remarkable. I do not know how many musicians are in their bands, but they both used the entire football field with their halftime performances. The music they played brought goose bumps.

Last weekend I was at Iowas H/C. Not only is there bad impressive but so is the Alumni band. Yes thats right. The alumni band marched during the H/C parade AND performed at the game. They had well over 100 almni. And they really get into it.
It will take time to develope the GS marching band to where it need to be. PL

mebisonII
10-06-2007, 05:09 AM
That is awesome...just awesome. I like Dr. O, but I didn't feel he'd push this through to a higher level. At the same time, I knew he was tenured, so I thought that was that. Hopefully now he can focus and moving the concert portion forward and we can get serious about building a better band. We're DI. Lets have a DI band.

I love the description too:
Writes drill AND ARRANGEMENTS = more new music even while the budget is low
Focus on percussion = the backbone of the band, even as a former trumpet player I can see that the quality of the drumline makes or breaks a great band
Primary focus on athletic bands = more time spent recruiting, training, planning, and begging...err...fundraising.

I'm tired of that bunny band...lets do what they do and do it better (ok, ok, I know it won't happen overnight, but if the football team was 2-8 a few years ago the band should be able to make huge strides too).

On a side note...if you want to help the band, keep selling out the dome. If being in the band becomes the only surefire, free way to make sure you see the game the band will get bigger, and loud...LOUD...LOUDER!! :D

I psyched...lets get someone good.

mebisonII
10-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Last weekend I was at Iowas H/C. Not only is there bad impressive but so is the Alumni band. Yes thats right. The alumni band marched during the H/C parade AND performed at the game. They had well over 100 almni. And they really get into it.
It will take time to develope the GS marching band to where it need to be. PL

I live 3 blocks from their practice field. They sound pretty good.

I've also been told by a former member that if their lines don't look very straight its probably because most of the band is buzzed before the game even starts.

note: their = UI band

56BISON73
10-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I live 3 blocks from their practice field. They sound pretty good.

I've also been told by a former member that if their lines don't look very straight its probably because most of the band is buzzed before the game even starts.

note: their = UI band
Do you live up by Riverside Dr?? I lived on the frat circle for a year at the SAE house. They used to prectice not far from there when I was in school there. PL

mebisonII
10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Do you live up by Riverside Dr?? I lived on the frat circle for a year at the SAE house. They used to prectice not far from there when I was in school there. PL

They still practice at the same place. I live on Ellis Ave. Had to shut the bedroom window last night because some of my dear fraternity neighbors were out yelling drunkenly around 3am. (in all fairness, people are generally surprised when I tell them how little trouble we have living by the frats)

NDSUFREAK
10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
wow, lets not bring our band to minnesota.....

Till
10-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Word has it that the leading candidate so far is from Texas A&M. He was the assistant director of the marching band I hear and arranged all of their music.

99Bison
10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Word has it that the leading candidate so far is from Texas A&M. He was the assistant director of the marching band I hear and arranged all of their music.

Pretty much any A&M atmosphere and cheering influance would be fantastic! As they are "the 12th Man."

BigBison
10-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Yes, A&M....awesome...awsome...awesome.

extremerouge
10-30-2007, 01:19 PM

wow that would be great to get that influence here!

BigDeal
10-30-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.aggieband.org/visitors-multimedia.php

Here's a link to their website. Aside from the obvious (they're big), you'll notice how traditional they are. It's a military band. If you look at their videos either on their website or youtube, you'll notice that they march a 6-5 (six steps for every 5 yards or 30'' steps ). I'll use the U of M as an example because they won't be immediately discredited, but they march an 8-5 (22.5") like NDSU.

Minnesota: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpbSZF9-E4
Texas A&M: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxeJnifuZOI

A&M also uses precision marching. If my old college classes serve me right, it means that the step size they take will always be the 6-5 whereas MN can use an "adjusted step" size to make curved shapes (i.e spelling out words with curves in the letters "Gophers"). Precision marching can still spell out words, but they would have to be block letters.

You'll also notice that precision marching will always face the direction they are traveling. For example, if they are moving from the 40 yard line to the 50, they will be facing the 50. Corp style, they can either face the way they are traveling or do a "slide" in which the upper half of the body is facing the crowd but the feet are still moving the direction they are going.

Finally, they don't use any tenor drums, which is no big deal because Ohio State doesn't either for pregame.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting anything in this post. I just think it's kind of neat how big the differences are between these two bands even though one may not directly see it.

Gully
11-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Whenever I read GSMB I think it's a reference to a new sexual preference.:D

BigBison
11-06-2007, 04:40 AM
The GSMB is getting better, they sound alot better then they did a couple of years ago.

Thank You, Senior Band Members!!!

extremerouge
11-21-2007, 02:39 PM
any new news on the marching band director front?

Bison bison
11-21-2007, 03:19 PM
the job is still open.....

El_Chapitan
11-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Interviewing candidates in Fargo in the next few weeks. Making them direct and such in front of the GSMB.

extremerouge
11-22-2007, 02:57 AM
really!?! making them direct huh...so then we know who the candidates are?

sambini
11-22-2007, 05:40 AM
The GSMB is getting better, they sound alot better then they did a couple of years ago.

Thank You, Senior Band Members!!!Thanks and Good Luck+++

Till
12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
So, some new news on this front:

1) Apparently the GSMB has three new types of uniforms for next year. Chapman is pretty in love with them I guess.

2) Two candidates have interviewed: one from und and a second from VCSU. The last candidate from U of Texas (not A&M, my bad) will be in this week or next week.

When the new director is hired they will start in February and immediately get on the recruiting trail.

extremerouge
12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
recruiting trail!!! that is great news!!!

El_Chapitan
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
So, some new news on this front:

1) Apparently the GSMB has three new types of uniforms for next year. Chapman is pretty in love with them I guess.

2) Two candidates have interviewed: one from und and a second from VCSU. The last candidate from U of Texas (not A&M, my bad) will be in this week or next week.

When the new director is hired they will start in February and immediately get on the recruiting trail.

1) Its one uniform with three looks.

2) One is from Northern Colorado (undergrad at UND), and the other two still have to direct this week.

BigBison
12-04-2007, 06:58 PM
What do you mean one uniform with three looks? Im really interested in seeing what the new band unis will look like.

Bisonguy
12-04-2007, 09:35 PM

2) One is from Northern Colorado (undergrad at UND), and the other two still have to direct this week.

SWEET!!!

It's going to be like the GSMB are Transformers!!!

BisBison
12-05-2007, 12:55 AM
SWEET!!!

hopefully about 150 transformers. This 85 piece band smacks of D-II.:mad:

Tatanka
12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
SWEET!!!

:confused:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/Silent_Wanderer/frank.jpg

Oh, TransFORMERS! Got it! :hide:

TransAmBison
12-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Glad I already ate...:smh:

BigDeal
12-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Hilarious as usual!

mebisonII
12-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Pics??? (the uniform, not the directors)

Bisonguy
12-05-2007, 10:51 PM

How you could ever confuse this:
http://forevergeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/transformers_optimus.jpg

with a sweet transvestite, from Transsexual Transylvania, is beyond me. :banghead: :D

Tatanka
12-06-2007, 12:00 AM
WINNAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I must spread reputation around before giving it to Bisonguy again.

SUBISON247
12-31-2007, 05:25 AM
Any new news on the GSMB front???

BigDeal
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
The three candidates were brought before the band and they were asked some pretty tough questions. One candidate definately stood out. We should know by February.

extremerouge
12-31-2007, 05:15 PM
which one was the one that stood out? i suppose you can't really say huh...

BigDeal
12-31-2007, 08:44 PM
I probably shouldn't, even though I'd like to.

Till
01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Two words.....

Yellow
Drums

They're coming....

BigDeal
01-03-2008, 03:58 AM
Two words.....

Yellow
Drums

They're coming....

I highly doubt dropping $15,000 on new percussion equipment when the current set is three years old is a high priority for any band director.

Till
01-03-2008, 04:27 AM
Just saying that my "inside source" said the drums are already done and that the new director has been hired and will start next month.

Bisonguy
01-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Two words.....

Yellow
Drums

They're coming....

One word: w00t!!

gobison.gsb
01-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Till, may I ask who your 'inside source' is?

Just curious, because as a band member, we haven't heard anything what so ever, and it would be awesome to know for sure.

lakesbison
01-03-2008, 07:19 AM
JUST LEARN NEW SONGS..

and watch a wisconsin badger game (i hate wisconsin) but dam their band knows how to party!!

Tatanka
01-03-2008, 01:13 PM
What? No complimentary coloring on the drums anymore? YELLOW DRUMS??? OUTRAGE!!!!!

Till
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I'll just say it's one of the Student Government types

UTH
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I'll just say it's one of the Student Government types

So much for a transparent government with "open records" and "open meetings".

UTH
01-03-2008, 03:24 PM
If BigDeal is right that colored-up drums are $15,000, then paying for said drums is a very big deal. They should make an accounting for it and let people know what they're paying for.

And if someone has already been hired for a big position, then they need to make an announcement. This time, they really can do it with horns blaring to get everyone's attention.;)

99Bison
01-03-2008, 05:55 PM
If BigDeal is right that colored-up drums are $15,000, then paying for said drums is a very big deal. They should make an accounting for it and let people know what they're paying for.

And if someone has already been hired for a big position, then they need to make an announcement. This time, they really can do it with horns blaring to get everyone's attention.;)

Maybe they traded in the red ones to reduce the price...

BigDeal
01-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry for being cranky little ass hat (and I'll admit that definately am on this issue), but if it is student government's money that they allocated, then I think they directed their resources in the wrong direction. The color of the drums should be very low on the list of priorities at this point.
As a GSB alum I have heard, "The band is small," "I don't like the music," "I don't like the drill," but I honestly can't say that anyone has ever left the band because of the color of the drums. Therefore, it should be a non-issue at this point. Maybe in 5-10 years I could see this issue having merit, but not now.

If this money was indeed spent, this drum money could have been better spent on recruitment, instruments, stipends, music, show design, and even better, give it all to the pep band so they don't look so Division III. Also, I don't see how one can justify buying new drums to replace new drums for a shrinking drumline! Granted, trading them in would save thousands if a new set was bought. But, considering the band has only 1.5 working marching baritones, a limited number of mellophones, and the sousaphones that are past their prime, I think it was a piss poor decision to reinvest in new percussion when the current set of school wind instruments are so few and in such poor shape. Let it also be known the this year's colorguard uniforms were paid out of pocket by the guard.

If anyone has rationale for the decision, please enlighten me because I'm really scratching my head at this one. One might praise the school for getting rid of the red drums, but careless decision making like this will only hurt the band in the end. Last time I checked, a yellow drum sounds just like a red drum.

UTH
01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Sorry for being cranky little ass hat...

If this money was indeed spent,... Granted, trading them in would save thousands if a new set was bought. But, considering the band has only 1.5 working marching baritones, a limited number of mellophones, and the sousaphones that are past their prime.

If anyone has rationale for the decision, please enlighten me because I'm really scratching my head at this one. One might praise the school for getting rid of the red drums, but careless decision making like this will only hurt the band in the end. Last time I checked, a yellow drum sounds just like a red drum.

How about a yellow mellophone? WTF is a mellophone? Sousaphone? I know about baritones - they sing real low.

TransAmBison
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
How about a yellow mellophone? WTF is a mellophone? Sousaphone? I know about baritones - they sing real low.
They use the sousaphones at the school up north.

fargocyclone
01-03-2008, 08:42 PM

A mellie is a fatter-looking trumpet that plays a bit lower. A sousa is the thing that goes around the players body. (also loosely considered a tuba)

56BISON73
01-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Dont most musicians own there own instruments???? PL

aces1180
01-03-2008, 09:23 PM
They use the sousaphones at the school up north.

I thought they played the skin flute up north....Hmmm?

Hammersmith
01-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Maybe they traded in the red ones to reduce the price...

This post might get a little long and technical. If so, apologies now. Also, I had to leave my comp for awhile, so some questions were asked by others in between the beginning and end of this post.

While a new set of marching perc does cost around $15k, there might be a couple other things going on here. First, you can change the color of a drum for much less than the cost of a new one. You disassemble the hardware until you're just left with the maple shell. Next, you scuff up the clear finish of the drum(varnish or polyurethane) with sandpaper and apply a contact adhesive. Then you take custom-made pieces of colored plastic(probably mylar sheets) and glue them to the shells. Reattach the hardware and you've got a "new" drum. Basically, this is the same procedure the drum manufacturers use to build the white and silver drums. It's cheaper than a new set, but more costly than if you had just ordered the right color in the first place. It's most often used when puchasing used drums that don't match your colors.

That leads to the second possibility. There are always schools and drum corps out there that are looking for good deals on used drums. Since the red drums are only three years old, it's possible that NDSU already has a buyer lined up. I have absolutely no information to back this up, but if I had to guess, I'd say someone close by might be buying them. Fargo has a small drum corps called Nightfire whose colors happen to be red and black and are currently using somewhat mismatched equipment and one of their directors is an alumnus of the GSMB and has worked as an assistant for the GSMB several times over the years. It's possible that they've put together enough funding to buy the Gold Star's set. Just as likely, the red set could be going to somewhere on the other side of the country.

However it happens, we don't know for certain if the money is coming from student government. It could be coming from the Office of the President, the Development Foundation, the athletic department, etc. Till's friend in SG might be aware of it simply because s/he talks with people from those departments. Until we know for certain, let's not jump to any conclusions about secret meetings or records.

As for yellow, I must admit I'm a bit concerned. Yellow drums are hard to pull off, and it has a lot to do with the uniforms they're paired with. I don't think they'd look too good with the current uni's. Of course, if the rumors about new uniforms are true, that might not be an issue. Still, it's a risk without having a completed uniform ready to compare them to. At the very least, I hope they get white hardware and either white or black drumheads to go with the yellow shells. I can't imagine chrome hardware and clear heads would look too good. Regarding new uni's, that might actually be the reason behind the push for new drums. The combination of current uni's and red drums was ugly, but stomachable(is that a word?). It's possible that the preferred design for the new uni's looks absolutely horrible with the red drums. That might've bumped up the priority over mellophones or the pep band.

Marching Band tutorial: Music is often divided up into "voices". Normally, they're soprano, alto, tenor and bass with baritone sometimes thrown in between the tenors and basses. (Yes, the names all come from singing voices) On the brass side of bands, the alto voice is usually handled by French horns. Well, they don't work very well on a football field, so a replacement was needed: the mellophone. It's basically a cornet on steroids. A marching baritone is the same thing, only bigger. In some bands/corps, all the trombones are replaced with marching baritones because they have the same voice but without the trombone's clearance issues(trombone fully extended, trying to make a 180 turn = smacked band members & damaged 'bones). And this leads into Pat's question. Marching bands have several instruments that are only used for MB. These specialty instruments are owned by the band and checked out to the players. Also, the band normally keeps several student quality instruments(lowest level of quality) for those students who only own a top quality horn. Ex. A high end clarinet is made of wood. Taking that outside for daily practices will ruin it(temp and humidity changes). Several plastic clarinets are owned by the band for that reason. End tutorial.

I hope the rumors of new drums are real. I hope the rumors of new uniforms are real. I hope the rumors of marching band scholarships and increased stipends are real. Most of all, I hope the rumors of increased athletic and administrative(presidential) interest in the health of the GSMB are real. With a little muscle behind things, it might not be drums OR mellos, but drums AND mellos, etc.

I'm also hoping for white uniforms with green and yellow trim, but that's another long post.

56BISON73
01-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Hammer. How do you know all this stuff??? Were you in band???? PL

Hammersmith
01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Hammer. How do you know all this stuff??? Were you in band???? PL

BS '02 Music Ed(Band)
GSMB '94-'99 Drum Major '98 & '99

BisBison
01-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Good post Hammer. I too am a GSMB alum, class of '78, played the drums. Look for new uniforms next year, new drums and a NEW GSMB director. I know the uniforms and the director for sure, but haven't been able to confirm the drum part yet. The word on the uniforms is "they are awesome. The new director is said to be a great recruiter and has great relations with the kids where he is now. This guy is high energy with a lot of creative ideas. He is also very excited about coming to SU. Can't share the name yet, but will be announced very soon. Give this program a year or two and you won't recognize it.

rdh701
01-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I, for one, am really excited about the potential to really elevate the marching band. Thanks to you "in the know" for the updates.

extremerouge
01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I, for one, am really excited about the potential to really elevate the marching band. Thanks to you "in the know" for the updates.
i am with ya there RDH!

Till
01-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I hesisitate to give any more information, lest I be deemed "The Man", by those conspiracy theorist types who think the (student) Government is holding secret meetings and following them with black helicoptors, but it sounds like the new director will have a 5-year mandate to get the band to 200 members. Sounds like Joe-Cha is pretty serious about this.

Tatanka
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
We've got our own "Deep Throat" here on the board!!! Awesome.

And, no, I don't mean that kind of "deep throat", all you young'uns.

aces1180
01-04-2008, 09:52 PM
We've got our own "Deep Throat" here on the board!!! Awesome.

And, no, I don't mean that kind of "deep throat", all you young'uns.

I actually met Woodward and Burnstein at a presentation when I was in college...Pretty cool how they never revealed their source.

BisBison
01-04-2008, 11:51 PM
I hesisitate to give any more information, lest I be deemed "The Man", by those conspiracy theorist types who think the (student) Government is holding secret meetings and following them with black helicoptors, but it sounds like the new director will have a 5-year mandate to get the band to 200 members. Sounds like Joe-Cha is pretty serious about this.

He's not only going to have a mandate, he's going to have the means to succeed. That's what makes Joe-Cha such a great leader. Give 'em what they need to succeed, give 'em the tools to succeed and then get out of the way until they need a cheerleader.

Mr. Burgundy
01-05-2008, 03:14 AM
will the new and improved band still be playing the Moody Blues at halftime of home games? Is Peter Cetera still going to be around? Just curious, I know my Grandmother loves the halftime show!!!!

yeah, I am being sarcastic.....I have said many times, we have a talented band, who plays crap for music. No excuses. Other schools play better music, have more fun...etc. It is like our band has never watched a bigtime game before.

Go ahead and flame me for this opinion, but I go to alot of bigtime games and always have fun watching the bands.

THEsocalledfan
01-05-2008, 03:44 AM
CaBison has had great comments on the issues of the marching band in the past. Ca, does SDSU offer scholarships to their band? I know you have commented on how hard it is to draw marchers to NDSU, but my theory is they should targt those now going to SDSU and give them scholarships to come to NDSU.

Money talks and BS walks; could be just like the 0 for every recruit that the Trucks posted versus Bohl the last few years.

d3boys
01-05-2008, 03:00 PM
there are very good musicians at ndsu, we just need to develop a reputation with the marching band so it is respectable and they have fun and we will get the talent

BisBison
01-05-2008, 03:16 PM
will the new and improved band still be playing the Moody Blues at halftime of home games? Is Peter Cetera still going to be around? Just curious, I know my Grandmother loves the halftime show!!!!

yeah, I am being sarcastic.....I have said many times, we have a talented band, who plays crap for music. No excuses. Other schools play better music, have more fun...etc. It is like our band has never watched a bigtime game before.

Go ahead and flame me for this opinion, but I go to alot of bigtime games and always have fun watching the bands.

Mr B, all I'm saying is give this new guy a chance. He's got the energy and talent to transform this band. And yes that includes new music choices. The budget is getting a nice boost so that won't be an issue. He'll need two years, you don't turn around an organization as large as this overnight. Like I said before in two years you won't recognize this band, that includes size as well as what they're doing at the games. It'll start next year, but I doubt he'll be able to do much with numbers this quickly.

sambini
01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm looking forward to the changes. Nothing beats a great band to get you going. Good Luck GSMB+++++++++

56BISON73
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Ive always been a proponent of---if you are going to do something---DO IT RIGHT!!!! Now granted the band is an after thought with me---but---I do enjoy a good band.
I cant lay fault with the poor product on the band members as they are doing the best they can and I dont feel they have had the needed support. Hopefully now that the admistration has put this on their to do list they can put a product on the field that all can be proud of. PL

extremerouge
01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Mr B, all I'm saying is give this new guy a chance. He's got the energy and talent to transform this band. And yes that includes new music choices. The budget is getting a nice boost so that won't be an issue. He'll need two years, you don't turn around an organization as large as this overnight. Like I said before in two years you won't recognize this band, that includes size as well as what they're doing at the games. It'll start next year, but I doubt he'll be able to do much with numbers this quickly.
what is the name of the new guy you speak of? where is he from?

BisBison
01-05-2008, 11:28 PM
what is the name of the new guy you speak of? where is he from?

Can't say yet, sworn to silence. I was told by a friend who works for the NDSU music department that the papers are signed. I'm not sure the guy has told his present employer of his new deal yet. It should be announced within a week or two I'm guessing. My friend is very excited about the hire, says the guy is a great fit.

travelingbison
01-06-2008, 03:04 AM

Mr. Burgundy, for your information I do believe that the band watched a big time game on Oct. 20th, 2007 where they saw a "big time band" play a Beatles haltime show - something the GSB did four years ago.

Also, as a point of further information....last year the goooooofer band played a movie half time show that included the theme from Robin Hood. The GSB did a similar movie show to this - again four years before the gooooofers.

If I'm not mistaken, by your definition this puts the GSB a few years ahead of the game on half time shows when you compare them to the our closest "big time" school.

Bisonguy
01-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Hopefully they'll be able to pull off a halftime show like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDkWlVDHY7k within a few years. :nod:

Great to hear the GSMB is getting the support they deserve.

mebisonII
01-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I got a call from an NDSU student fundraising yesterday who mentioned that the band has hired the new directors. I didn't catch the the name for sure, but I think it was something like Sig Johnson??? Band members, care to spill the inside story now?

gobison.gsb
01-16-2008, 06:44 PM
I would love to spill, but we still haven't heard anything 'official' yet either.

BisBison
01-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I think the word is out. The band directors in Bis/Man know. THey all think this is a great hire for SU. It's Valley City State's director Dr Sig Johnson. He's had experience in big-time marching bands and is supposed to be a fantastic recruiter. (yes bands do this too). Looking forward to a new look GSMB.

Hammersmith
01-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I think the word is out. The band directors in Bis/Man know. THey all think this is a great hire for SU. It's Valley City State's director Dr Sig Johnson. He's had experience in big-time marching bands and is supposed to be a fantastic recruiter. (yes bands do this too). Looking forward to a new look GSMB.

Considering VCSU has his former position on their job listings page, I'd say you're right about the word being out.

Here's his bio from the VCSU website:

Dr. Sigurd H. Johnson is Director of Bands and Percussion and an Associate Professor of Music at Valley City State University, in Valley City, North Dakota. Johnson has degrees from Concordia College in Moorhead MN, Northwestern University in Evanston IL, and from the University of Memphis in Memphis TN. Prior to joining the Music Department at VCSU in 2000, Johnson served as Director of Bands and Instrumental Music at Rust College in Holly Springs MS, as well as a percussion arranger and instructor on the staff of the University of Memphis Marching Band. While living in the mid-south, Johnson was a member of the percussion section of the Memphis Symphony Orchestra, an active jazz and theater freelance performer and clinician/adjudicator. Johnson also spent 4 years teaching and performing in Norway. Johnson is involved in VCSU's Community School of the Arts as an instructor of percussion, and is the conductor of the Valley City Civic Orchestra. Johnson spends part of his summer teaching percussion at the International Music Camp, where he is also an executive member of the IMC Board and Vice President of the US Corporation. Johnson is currently President of the North Dakota National Band Association; East Region Band Representative for the North Dakota Music Education Association, as well ND State Chair for the collegiate chapters of The Music Educators National Conference. Johnson is active in the upper Midwest as a percussion, jazz ensemble and concert band clinician and adjudicator, as well as a guest conductor of Festival and Honor bands. Johnson is a Sabian Cymbals and Vic Firth Sticks and Mallets artist.

Tatanka
01-17-2008, 01:28 PM
GET 'ER DONE, Dr. Johnson! GET 'ER DONE!!!1!11!!

Greenie
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
There will be stipends provided to help grow the marching and pep bands

mebisonII
01-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh, you can't believe how excited I am for the band! I wish I were closer so I could see it all happen :banghead: Oh well, best of luck to Dr. Johnson!

On the topic of Concordian (is that a word? it should be!) percussionists, if you get a chance to see their Day of Percussion, go check it out! I went a time or twice in college and it was free and awesome!

mebisonII
01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
There will be stipends provided to help grow the marching and pep bands

Stipends as in for graduate assistants to help, or scholarships for players, or some other form? If you can divulge...

troianus
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Stipends as in for graduate assistants to help, or scholarships for players, or some other form? If you can divulge...

For band members. each year in band you get a little more and also if you are in a leadership position you get a little more.

Grad assistants already help as part of their curriculum.

BigDeal
01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
For band members. each year in band you get a little more and also if you are in a leadership position you get a little more.

Emphasis on "little."

travelingbison
01-17-2008, 10:45 PM

It should be noted that this 'stipend' was only set up for the members of the marching band for this year. Unfortunately, not all the students have recieved them yet and there is no current written policy/agreement between the administration and the students to see that this is followed through. To me, it still sounds like there are a lot of kinks to work out - but hopefully in the future it can be used as an effective recruiting tool.

Greenie
01-18-2008, 03:53 PM
It should be noted that this 'stipend' was only set up for the members of the marching band for this year. Unfortunately, not all the students have recieved them yet and there is no current written policy/agreement between the administration and the students to see that this is followed through. To me, it still sounds like there are a lot of kinks to work out - but hopefully in the future it can be used as an effective recruiting tool.

It's a work in progress and will take more shape after the new director is on board.

99Bison
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Heard some updates on the GSMB progress today.
- Sounds like initial goals and organization have been worked out.
- Struture and planning on how to accomplish the goals also nearing completion if not already complete.
- Still many details to work out.

BisBison
04-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Have an informal meeting with some of the music staff Thursday night at the HODO. With enough truth serum hopefully I'll be able to share some news after that. For now, what I've heard from them is that they are real excited about the upcoming year. New uniforms, more $$$, new director etc. More members and better music to follow.

sambini
04-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Have an informal meeting with some of the music staff Thursday night at the HODO. With enough truth serum hopefully I'll be able to share some news after that. For now, what I've heard from them is that they are real excited about the upcoming year. New uniforms, more $$$, new director etc. More members and better music to follow.

Great news BisBison nothing better than a GREAT BAND ON GAME DAY+++

99Bison
04-24-2008, 03:49 AM

yep........

Tatanka
04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/FamilyGuy.gif

Most excellent!

cbline
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
All this talk about the GSMB, and now I CAN'T WAIT to hear "On, Bison" and "The Yellow and the Green" in the Dome!

99Bison
04-25-2008, 09:24 PM
All this talk about the GSMB, and now I CAN'T WAIT to hear "On, Bison" and "The Yellow and the Green" in the Dome!

I am guessing it will take a couple few years to get it to the goal, but yes improving as it goes :)

BisBison
04-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Just got back from the spring game and the spring blizzard in Fargo. Per a liquor influenced meeting with band folks, the short term goal for the band is 200 members. They have been recruiting students in the union and dining halls. They also have "stipend" money to pass around to band members. A few other carrots to dangle for perspective members is early class registration and possibly having marching band qualify for "wellness credit".

Tatanka
04-26-2008, 11:26 PM
As well it should.

This is great news!

mebisonII
04-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Just got back from the spring game and the spring blizzard in Fargo. Per a liquor influenced meeting with band folks, the short term goal for the band is 200 members. They have been recruiting students in the union and dining halls. They also have "stipend" money to pass around to band members. A few other carrots to dangle for perspective members is early class registration and possibly having marching band qualify for "wellness credit".

Moving in to the dorms early is a BIG plus for the band. Goes so much easier when you can avoid the rush!

THEsocalledfan
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Heck, just give them all free tuition. This is a big deal, and we need to start stealing all those Southern Minnesota and SD kids from SDSU.

mebisonII
04-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Heck, just give them all free tuition. This is a big deal, and we need to start stealing all those Southern Minnesota and SD kids from SDSU.

And just to be fair, let make it retroactive back through, say, 2000...yeah, why not start on the millenium :)

THEsocalledfan
04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
And just to be fair, let make it retroactive back through, say, 2000...yeah, why not start on the millenium :)

Well, its not my money, so I agree!

TbonZach
06-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, as of May 12, the new uniforms are in and they look awesome.

And word on the street (from people that are more in touch with the music dept. than I am) is that there will be no more red drums. They aren't buying new ones, rather rewrapping the old ones. Don't qoute me on that one though.

Also, there are plans to have a pit (front ensemble).

I'm meeting with Dr. Johnson this Wednesday through a non-NDSU music ensemble so I might have more updates after then.

I can't wait for marching band. This is going to be one awesome year.

P.S. If you want to keep up with GSMB news, you can visit the brand spanking new website - http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/finearts/goldstarband/index.htm

sambini
06-02-2008, 04:19 AM
Well, as of May 12, the new uniforms are in and they look awesome.

And word on the street (from people that are more in touch with the music dept. than I am) is that there will be no more red drums. They aren't buying new ones, rather rewrapping the old ones. Don't qoute me on that one though.

Also, there are plans to have a pit (front ensemble).

I'm meeting with Dr. Johnson this Wednesday through a non-NDSU music ensemble so I might have more updates after then.

I can't wait for marching band. This is going to be one awesome year.

P.S. If you want to keep up with GSMB news, you can visit the brand spanking new website - http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/finearts/goldstarband/index.htm
Thanks for the Updates and good luck++

99Bison
06-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Yes "there will be no more red drums" has been quoted by many that should know.

tony
06-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Fanastic. Now maybe this kid can get over his creepy obsession:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6381/redrum3kr.jpg

Seriously, congrats to the band. This is much better than bisonville.com's humble efforts to help the band. Who can forget our ill-fated Band Aid 2004? (actually, just about everybody, apparently)

Band Aid 2004: A Retrospective (http://www.bisonville.com/BANDAID2004.html)

TbonZach
06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes "there will be no more red drums" has been quoted by many that should know.

I'll try to confirm that rumor at my meeting with Dr. Johnson Wednesday.

Bisonguy
06-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Fanastic. Now maybe this kid can get over his creepy obsession:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6381/redrum3kr.jpg

Seriously, congrats to the band. This is much better than bisonville.com's humble efforts to help the band. Who can forget our ill-fated Band Aid 2004? (actually, just about everybody, apparently)

Band Aid 2004: A Retrospective (http://www.bisonville.com/BANDAID2004.html)

I was living Band Aid 2004 with Bisonfan1!

tony
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I was living Band Aid 2004 with Bisonfan1!

Hmm, we might need a fifth anniversary t-shirt for 2009... I predict that eventually more people will claim to have been at Band Aid 2004 than Woodstock and the Zip to Zap combined.

BTW, my original post might have made more sense (as much as any of my posts do), if I had posted the right image:

http://www.bisonville.com/reddrum.jpg

---------

The Gold Star Five... You may have been eaten by wild donkeys who mistook the plumes on your hats for yellow-flowered alfalfa, but you will never be forgotten.

SDbison
06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I'll try to confirm that rumor at my meeting with Dr. Johnson Wednesday.
My wishes for next year:
1. 20 to 30 more band members (add the same each year following)
2. Some new music that is good (no more theme music)
3. NO MORE RED DRUMS (Yellow, Green or White preferred)

99Bison
06-03-2008, 04:12 PM
My wishes for next year:
1. 20 to 30 more band members (add the same each year following)
2. Some new music that is good (no more theme music)
3. NO MORE RED DRUMS (Yellow, Green or White preferred)

These are all on the list... Well, not sure about your theme music requirement, but new 'rockin' music is.

SDbison
06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
These are all on the list... Well, not sure about your theme music requirement, but new 'rockin' music is.
To clarify I often recall the announcer saying something like: "today the Gold Star band pays tribute to (insert artist here)" and then the band proceeds to hack every song because they are just not good songs to be played by a band. Instead, I suggest they play a mix of songs that are current favorites played by marching bands. I know it costs money to buy the music, but come on, get a few good ones and build on it........