PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NDSU Bison Football

Gully
10-04-2007, 03:24 AM
How will this team be next year? Some big shoes to fill. I'm most concerned at OL, QB, and LB. I fear that they'll take a little step back and will do well to make the playoffs. If they can win enough to make it in, they could have improved enough to make a run.

I think the 2009 and 2010 teams will really make some noise as I think we'll have an unreal recruiting class next spring.

X-Factor
10-04-2007, 03:59 AM
How will this team be next year? Some big shoes to fill. I'm most concerned at OL, QB, and LB. I fear that they'll take a little step back and will do well to make the playoffs. If they can win enough to make it in, they could have improved enough to make a run.

I think the 2009 and 2010 teams will really make some noise as I think we'll have an unreal recruiting class next spring.

Actually, 2009 is likely to see a dropoff rather than 2008 if there is one. The team is flat out loaded next year with a very veteran team. Look at the roster and it doesn't take long to realize just how many Juniors are seeing significant playing time.

Gully
10-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Yes, that's true but I'm counting on us recruiting even higher caliber athletes moving forward....it seems like it continues to ratchet up each year.

roadwarrior
10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
We lose a number of quality players every year. Remember all those wondering how in the world we would survive this season because of the graduation of Steffes? It happens continually. The younger players see and learn from the older players and when it comes time, they step it up and keep the program on a roll. Of course it all comes down to recruiting to keep that flow of players into the program. Go BISON!

lakesbison
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM
NICK MERTENS MVP ESPN 2

Finals December 19, 2008
Finley Stadium/Davenport Field
Chattanooga, Tenn.
Hosts: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and The Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee
Tickets: 423/266-6627

GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!

X-Factor
10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
notice I said "if there is one". But I am fairly confident 2008 will not be of such. The Bison are absolutely loaded for next year.

We lose a number of quality players every year. Remember all those wondering how in the world we would survive this season because of the graduation of Steffes? It happens continually. The younger players see and learn from the older players and when it comes time, they step it up and keep the program on a roll. Of course it all comes down to recruiting to keep that flow of players into the program. Go BISON!

++

Bohl has been doing an excellent job recruiting! No reason to have any doubt.

MinotBison
10-04-2007, 02:33 PM
notice I said "if there is one". But I am fairly confident 2008 will not be of such. The Bison are absolutely loaded for next year.

++

Bohl has been doing an excellent job recruiting! No reason to have any doubt.

I agree. But it sure would be nice to see what Mertens can do under game conditions. Maybe Saturday we will get to see him?

tcbison
10-04-2007, 02:59 PM
One thing we know about Mertens is he has a cannon of an arm. That has been talked about many times. I don't think next years team wins or loses with him though. If NDSU's offensive line can run the ball effectively that will help Mertens out tremendously. A solid defense will be needed as well.

Gully
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM
I guess the only reason I'm worried about Mertens is that we haven't seen him play, really at all in a meaningful situation. He obviously has skills but we've been really spoiled with Mr. Walker at the helm of the huddle.

jeffdaryl3rd
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Next year's team is still going to be loaded. From this year we lose starters on defense at end, tackle and middle linebacker. On offense we lose our QB, a WR and two lineman. So that is six starters, but I feel we have good depth behind those guys. The problem we are going to run into is 2009 when we graduate a whole slew of guys.

Bisonguy
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM
NICK MERTENS MVP ESPN 2

Finals December 19, 2008
Finley Stadium/Davenport Field
Chattanooga, Tenn.
Hosts: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and The Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee
Tickets: 423/266-6627

GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!

Mertens new nickname- The Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

"Pardon me boys, ......."

Tatanka
10-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Great. Now I've got THAT song in my head. :smh: :)

onbison09
10-04-2007, 11:28 PM
How the hell are we gonna replace Drago? I mean obviously you can never hope to but..........

WYOBISONMAN
10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
The 2008 edition of the Bison will be in the thick of the post-season race.

westriver bison
10-04-2007, 11:41 PM
We're four games into this season and you guys got your panties in a bunch about next year already! Enjoy the present and let the coaches worry about next year.

X-Factor
10-05-2007, 02:44 AM
How the hell are we gonna replace Drago? I mean obviously you can never hope to but..........

Well, if the Offense does its job then we don't need a punter :D

seriously tho, Drago isn't replaceable. I'm sure we will have someone who can punt decent or maybe even good, just not Drago good.

Bisonguy
10-05-2007, 02:48 AM
I just hope Bohl can find a punter that can throw as well as Drago. :D

BisonSig
10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I just hope Bohl can find a punter that can throw as well as Drago. :D

If he throws as well as Drago, they may need to subcontract getting ice to the dome. :nod:

jeffdaryl3rd
10-06-2007, 02:31 AM
Having a great punter is a bonus, but good play by the team as a whole is what wins you games. As long as we have someone who is adequate, we will have no problems.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2007, 05:13 AM

I've wondered the same thing, but I think that the 'D' will be more veteran (and healthier) next year, with the obvious loss of Mays. The current DB situation is scary. That should be much better next year. The quarterback adjustment scares me some, even though I think that there are 2 or 3 very strong options there. Having Parsons & Mertens (probably others too) is a nice problem to have. The receivers and running backs should be very strong. All that we can hope for is that when we lose a great player or two, someone else picks it up at another position while the replacements adjusts. I think we'll see it happen.

Joe Mays is one of the best athletes to ever play for the Bison. Same with Walker.

I'll go out on a limb...like usual. National Championship within the first 4 years of eligibility...probably sooner than later. This team is playing at a very high level, even when they're a little green and dinged up on defense.

Bison53
10-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I noticed that we are 3 deep in kickers.
2 & 3 looked very good warming up.

Bison53
10-08-2007, 03:48 PM
#54 impresses me more every game.
He's playing huge!!
Too lazy to look up correct spelling of his name.
Our receivers look great and depth is good.

Gully
10-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Is 54 Lardinois?

TAILG8R
10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes it is.

bisonmike2
10-08-2007, 04:27 PM
My thoughts on next years team..

OL loaded, never seems to be an issue. For as long as I've follwed this team we consistantly plug in quality guys to replace graduations.

RB/FB - loaded - roehl, blincoe, mcnorton, paschall, jangula. maybe the most talented backfield we have ever had, maybe.

WR - loaded, great possesion guys, still missing the explosive deep threat.

DL/DE - need to get bigger and stronger but we will have experience.

LB - Solid but will miss Mays. still have alot of talent at that position

CB/S - good returning guys but need to get depth.

QB - can't replace Walkers experience and poise. Not in 1 year. Best thing for a new QB is a solid running game, experienced recievers and a defense that can bail you out of mistakes. We have 2 of the 3 already in place, and I hope the D picks up the slack.

P - Drago will be missed but hopefully we won't use the new guy much.

K - solid

TE - solid

jeffdaryl3rd
10-08-2007, 07:15 PM
I think that even with a few graduations up front we are still going to be able to line up and cram it down peoples throats. I think there are quality guys waiting in the wings and our TE's are good blockers, so I think that will make it a lot easier on Mertens coming in.