PDA

View Full Version : A new tradition

AKBison
10-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Now that we have entered the sold out era of Bison Football I think it is time we start a new tradition. I love the pre-game video, I love the tunnel walk and I love the excitement and noise that all of this creates. What I hate is that we have to put everything on hold to sing the national anthem. A lot of other venues that I have been to sing the anthem before the players come out. Just imagine Bohl walking down the tunnel, no canned music nothing. The team gathers at the helmet and the video kicks on. As the video and thunderstruck play the players start to jump and get excited, the fans feed off this and start to get louder as soon as the video ends fireworks go off the team runs out the stadium gets louder. Instead of turning of the emotion we go straight to kick off. Can you think of a way to get a crucial 3 and out on our first defensive stand then to have the crowd noise be carried over from the intro?

Do we come out early because of tradition, because of state law or what? I will admit that having the players there for the anthem shows mega respect for the stars and stripes, something the midwest and NoDak are all about. But for gameday, it really could make a difference in how we start the game out.

Tatanka
10-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Don't disagree that it's kind of a buzzkill between the team entrance and the beginning of the game. But having our team out there for the national anthem is IMO non-negotiable. You're 100% right: it's about respect for our flag and our country.

That said, there's no reason that this year's original intro (the one that we all hated) could be used just prior to the first kickoff. I think it's got some merit (especially the coach telling the crowd to make some f'ing noise). Thoughts?

DIGRAPPLER
10-04-2007, 01:09 AM
The Bison have been doing it that way for years! I just posted on another thread but let's not overthink this. We need to get loud from the opening kickoff to the final horn. I might not be the most vocal fan, but I don't need PA prompts to get me up and hollering on 3rd down and I don't think the anthem is a buzzkill. Let get things started on our own as soon as Bebau (sp?) tees it up or Shamen awaits the kick!!!!

I am not tyring to create an argument, I just think we take it upon ourselves to be the 12th man like Bohl has been saying all year!

BisonFB
10-04-2007, 01:38 AM
I like it the way it is...

If anything the National Anthem should be motivating...that we have the freedom to watch/play/cheer at football game on a Saturday...not a buzzkill.

Let's all remember there are 60 minutes in a football game, and show up for every second the way we expect our players to. Go Bison.

No_Skill
10-04-2007, 02:14 AM
The Bison have been doing it that way for years! I just posted on another thread but let's not overthink this. We need to get loud from the opening kickoff to the final horn. I might not be the most vocal fan, but I don't need PA prompts to get me up and hollering on 3rd down and I don't think the anthem is a buzzkill. Let get things started on our own as soon as Bebau (sp?) tees it up or Shamen awaits the kick!!!!

I am not tyring to create an argument, I just think we take it upon ourselves to be the 12th man like Bohl has been saying all year!

Bingo!!!!!!! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I also like the idea of using some sort of video to get us ready for the kickoff.

Tatanka
10-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Feel the need to clarify. I don't think the anthem itself is the buzzkill, but the time between that and kickoff. It's like everyone doesn't know what to do with themselves until it's time to get up for the kickoff. Absolutely keep the order (and priority) of things the way they are, we just need to keep the energy level up through kickoff.

Hammersmith
10-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Feel the need to clarify. I don't think the anthem itself is the buzzkill, but the time between that and kickoff. It's like everyone doesn't know what to do with themselves until it's time to get up for the kickoff. Absolutely keep the order (and priority) of things the way they are, we just need to keep the energy level up through kickoff.

I agree with you there. It would be nice if everything from the charge onto the field to the kickoff could be streamlined to keep the excitement as high as possible. I would go so far as to suggest that the band no longer play the anthem and have it sung by non-music dept people. The band could use the time to exit the field as the singer walks out and sets up. It could save a couple minutes. At the very least, lose the singer and have the band play a better arrangement of the SSB.

Montana Bison
10-04-2007, 04:54 AM
......and the home of the BISON!!!!!!!!!!

BigBison
10-04-2007, 05:47 AM
One thing I would like to see done a little different with the pre-game is to have the band line around the helmet, to form an ally way and angle to the Bison side line. Play On Bison when the team runs out and march off after the anthem. Also I dont think the anthem ruins the mood. I'm pretty pumped after the intro video and then I'm pumped for the kick off.

Also what happened to the green and yellow spot lights, now they have one yellow and one white, I think? And didn't they used to play, after the lights go out, a buzzing noise like a national weather service warning and a voice over the PA which says "today's weather report: 100% chance of THUNDER" it went something like that. I think they did something like that last year now they just play the intro video, I think that say "100% chance of thunder" was pretty cool, it gave me chills.

Tatanka
10-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Agreed. And read the poem. You know the one.

Bison"FANatic"
10-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Ok here is my pet peave. I wish that the announcer would change the "Everyone up for the kickoff the march is on". I think this is fine when we are being kicked to. I always take the saying "when a team is marching it down the field" to be the offense. I don't want the team we are kicking it to get their march on. I am no writer but how about "Everyone up for the kickoff it is time for a Bison Defensive stop" when we are kicking off. Maybe there is some tradition I don't know about. Any thoughts???????

roadwarrior
10-04-2007, 02:55 PM
"The march is on" refers to the march to the national championship.

Bison"FANatic"
10-04-2007, 02:59 PM
AHH I see. If anyone would know it would be you!!!!! :) I get it now but I wonder how many in the dome get it.

imabison
10-04-2007, 05:34 PM
"The march is on" refers to the march to the national championship.
The week will be the beginning of the march to 400 for Roadwarrior!!

TAILG8R
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
The week will be the beginning of the march to 400 for Roadwarrior!!

"The March is on!"