PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll

99Bison
09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Montana the New No.1

SPARTANBURG, S.C. --- Montana is the new No. 1 team in the FCS coaches poll. It takes over the No.1 spot from the two-time national champions Mountaineers who lost to Wofford, 42-31. Montana beat Albany, 35-14, to keep its undefeated season alive. Montana received 661 points and 20 out of 28 first place votes.

Also garnering first place votes were Massachusetts in second with 657 points and four first place votes and North Dakota State in third with three first place votes and 640 points. Northern Iowa, Appalachian State, Southern Illinois, McNeese State (1), Wofford, James Madison and Youngstown State round out the top 10.

FCS Coaches Poll is based exclusively on a voting panel of head coaches in the FCS under the cooperation of the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA).

The poll is available on the newly-created FCS web page that features the poll, conference scores and standings, and features on FCS programs and players. The Southern Conference oversees the poll and maintain the web site.

FCS Coaches Poll (Sept. 24, 2007)

Points Last Week

1. Montana (3-0) (20) 661 2

2. Massachusetts (4-0) (4) 657 3

3. North Dakota State (3-0) (3) 640 4

4. Northern Iowa (4-0) 614 5

5. Appalachian State (3-1) 546 1

6. Southern Illinois (4-0) 536 6

7. McNeese State (3-0) (1) 521 8

8. Wofford (3-1) 509 12

9. James Madison (3-1) 492 9

10. Youngstown State (3-1) 488 7

11. New Hampshire (2-1) 424 10

12. Delaware (4-0) 388 11

13. Hampton (3-0) 334 13

14. Hofstra (3-0) 295 ` 16

15. Sam Houston State (2-1) 240 15

16. Illinois State (2-2) 218 14

17t. Montana State (2-1) 212 18

17t. Western Illinois (3-1) 212 19

19. Furman (1-2) 184 17

20. Yale (2-0) 152 21

21. Eastern Illinois(2-2) 140 22

22. Nicholls State (3-1) 103 20

23. Eastern Washington (3-0) 101 NR

24. Cal Poly (2-2) 72 24

25. Richmond (2-1) 44 NR

Others Receiving Votes: Villanova (31), Lafayette (29), UC Davis (22), Grambling State (21), San Diego (21), Missouri State (20), Elon (17), Holy Cross (17), South Dakota State (15), Delaware State (13), Georgia Southern (13), South Carolina State (13), Southern (13), Alabama State (12), The Citadel (12), Tennessee Tech (9), Lehigh (8), Alabama A&M (7), Texas State (7), Drake (5), Princeton (5), Butler (2), William & Mary (2), Chattanooga (1), Eastern Kentucky (1), Northern Arizona (1).

Bisonguy
09-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow, UNI really got the hosejob from the coaches. Not even one first place vote?

Herd
09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Wow, Montana will play two-three games all year against teams that are even decent teams. Montana State, Eastern Washington, Portland St. (?)

Look at the dogs in the Big Sky: Sac, Weber, Northern CO, NAU, Idaho St., Portland State (?). (I need to gargle) If we had that schedule, I'd start printing the tickets.

Giving them (yes giving) the #1 ranking with their schedule is a gift from the gods. They may as well start playing the area high schools if getting ranked #1 is that easy. There is no way in heck that an NDSU or UNI should be traveling to Montana for the playoff with a junk schedule like that.

We need to get our statdium to 25,000 ASAP to make sure we can outbid them each year for the playoffs. Usually in the first round it is just assumed that they stay home because of their stadium capacity. I wonder how many years out of their 14 they actually earned a home playoff game? Certainly not in 2007.

We are not playoff eligible in 2007, so I will stop right there. If we were eligible, I would have much more to say.

I'mWithNOSIB
09-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey don't mess with NAU. NAU Alumni here.

With that out of the way, why would Montana want to leave a conference in which they have dominated since the beginning. I mean, I wouldn't want to try and challenge my team at all. Look they are in first place by beating cream puffs.

Coming from the Big Sky, I feel that Montana is so over rated it's not funny. I have been unable to catch any of their games because, frankly, they are not that exciting. This year, look for the upset of the FCS when NAU takes out Montana at home during homecoming on October 27th.

NAU did play Appalachian State tough until the 4th when they turned the ball over twice.

Herd
09-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Caught a little of NAU v. N.CO on one of the Fox college sport channels. I thought that NAU struggled for most of the first half then found their stride a little in the 2nd half.

You are not a bad squad (sorry if I offended you), but I wouldn't be afraid to travel down to Flagstaff to pick up a W with the Herd.

Herd
09-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Deep down I'd like to see UND get into the Big Sky. Montana and UND could then beat each other up each year. The sioux wouldn't take any shit from the Griz IMO and could challenge them for the Sky title annually.

I'mWithNOSIB
09-25-2007, 12:52 AM
LOL, it's no problem and I wasn't truely affended. NAU has it's up and downs with squads. During my career at NAU, we had a really good squad but kepting getting beat down my Montana. I have no hatred for Montana but it bothers me that they don't pick up tougher non-conference games.

I'mWithNOSIB
09-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Deep down I'd like to see UND get into the Big Sky. Montana and UND could then beat each other up each year. The sioux wouldn't take any shit from the Griz IMO and could challenge them for the Sky title annually.

Now that would be weird, I would probably catch more Big Sky games then than I did as a student.

X-Factor
09-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Wow, Montana will play two-three games all year against teams that are even decent teams. Montana State, Eastern Washington, Portland St. (?)

Look at the dogs in the Big Sky: Sac, Weber, Northern CO, NAU, Idaho St., Portland State (?). (I need to gargle) If we had that schedule, I'd start printing the tickets.

Giving them (yes giving) the #1 ranking with their schedule is a gift from the gods. They may as well start playing the area high schools if getting ranked #1 is that easy. There is no way in heck that an NDSU or UNI should be traveling to Montana for the playoff with a junk schedule like that.

We need to get our statdium to 25,000 ASAP to make sure we can outbid them each year for the playoffs. Usually in the first round it is just assumed that they stay home because of their stadium capacity. I wonder how many years out of their 14 they actually earned a home playoff game? Certainly not in 2007.

We are not playoff eligible in 2007, so I will stop right there. If we were eligible, I would have much more to say.

Montana rarely if ever fills their stadium for the playoff games. I think deer season takes it's toll? not sure exactly. I think NDSU could outbid or at the very least match any figure Montana throws out.

X-Factor
09-25-2007, 02:22 AM

++, I would like to see some good North Dakota football give the Montana boys a back seat for a change.

WYOBISONMAN
09-25-2007, 02:26 AM
Of all the polls, I like this one the best.........

CaBisonFan
09-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Hey don't mess with NAU. NAU Alumni here.

With that out of the way, why would Montana want to leave a conference in which they have dominated since the beginning. I mean, I wouldn't want to try and challenge my team at all. Look they are in first place by beating cream puffs.

Coming from the Big Sky, I feel that Montana is so over rated it's not funny. I have been unable to catch any of their games because, frankly, they are not that exciting. This year, look for the upset of the FCS when NAU takes out Montana at home during homecoming on October 27th.

NAU did play Appalachian State tough until the 4th when they turned the ball over twice.

Yeah...you played a strong game against App. State. I was impressed. The Big Sky had a chance to take two very strong programs in SDSU & NDSU, but chose UNC to beat up on. Montana wanted nothing to do with NDSU. They changed the rules about voting a school into the conference. It had to be 100 percent. Then they blamed teams on the coast for voting us out. It was really Montana. They don't want challenges. They won't win the national title because they're afraid of challenges. It will hurt them in the playoffs. I hope that NAU does beat Montana. Good luck in Missoula.

PantherHawk
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Polls link:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86057

I am sure you all have the FCS section at CFN:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/

X-Factor
09-25-2007, 07:30 PM
It's all good, because all we have to remember is that the road to Chattanooga goes through the Fargodome in 2008 :nod: See ya at the Dome in November griz if ya make it that far :p