PDA

View Full Version : Can Saul lead us Forward . . .

Herd
09-22-2007, 02:47 PM
The Bison team has made incredible strides under Tim Miles the past 2 years to a level that some of us didn't think was even possible in Fargo. Great leadership, extreme confidence, great recruiting, a winning reputation, and growth of the fan base. Tim Miles was on the way to putting Basketball on par with Football at NDSU.

Can Saul and his staff continue to grow and advance this team and the Bison fan base to the verge of an NCAA tournament berth? What needs to happen to continue the growth? Will we start to regress without a new arena?

KC Bison
09-22-2007, 02:52 PM
We will eventually end up on the short end of the recruiting game without major improvements in our basketball facilities. The great short term question is how Saul will do in game time situations.

Jdubs21
09-22-2007, 03:41 PM
yeah i jsut hope he doesnt get to much heat because we have to realize he has some big shoes to fill, there are not many tim miles out there, so ijust hope everyone isnt hoping for him to get to the dance his 2nd year coaching or sign big recruits his first year on the job....lets face it getting big time recruits to play in fargo is harder than what it may seem...even though we beat wisconsin and marquette there are a unch of kids that have no idea who we are....i know we got some airtime on espn but it was about 20 seconds....its wasnt like how much app st. got for beating michigan

onbison09
09-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Recruiting is always going to be are biggest challenge.

TheDoctor
09-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Saul is a great guy and I think he will make a great head coach. Watch and see! ;)

SlickVic
09-23-2007, 07:36 PM
he comes from the coaching tree of probably the best college basketball coach in the game right now...bo ryan...i think he'll be just fine ;)

Jdubs21
09-24-2007, 01:34 AM
he was hired for a reason and im sure miles put in a good rec. for him...im not worried

sambini
09-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Saul is a great guy and I think he will make a great head coach. Watch and see! ;)He will be fine and a great young staff.+++++

wcb_sas
09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
In the long run it'll take:

1) better facilities
2) sustained fan support ... attendance, enthusiasim
3) good performance w/in the conference

Swat_Team10
09-25-2007, 07:56 PM
With those 3 items posted...is Saul the guy to lead that charge? I see one comment mentioning that fans should take it easy on the new coach. In my thoughts he was hired to win the league, and make the NCAA tourney as soon as it can. I beleive that was the goal for Tim Miles, why would it change now? I bet it his, the staffs and players goal.

TAILG8R
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Not that I am ever particularly hard on coaches but I believe he really shouldn't get a honeymoon period. Usually you take it easy on guys who have all new players our had some sort of mass defection. Saul gets to step in and coach our Dream Team. his roster is filled with talent from the start, there should be no reason for a let down.

X-Factor
09-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Not that I am ever particularly hard on coaches but I believe he really shouldn't get a honeymoon period. Usually you take it easy on guys who have all new players our had some sort of mass defection. Saul gets to step in and coach our Dream Team. his roster is filled with talent from the start, there should be no reason for a let down.

++

Miles stocked this team WELL. Now all Saul has to do is win baby! :D

Plus, NO seniors on the roster. :eeek:

BisonBlogger
09-26-2007, 04:19 AM
The first thing to remember is that this season will be all about winning the Summit Conference title.

Look for the non-conference part of the schedule to be a try-out period with the purpose of building effective depth. Without a lot of size and scoring in the post, there will be a need to find out what combinations work best with the new players this year.

lakesbison
09-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Saul's goal is NIT..... or at least Woody said that sat nite

cabis
09-26-2007, 03:30 PM
The big thing Saul had in his favor when he was hired is he represented continuity in the program. NDSU went out on a limb to hire a guy with zero head coaching experience because the team was set up to win in the next two years, and continuity was considered a major piece of the puzzle. Under the circumstances there will not be any honeymoon period for Saul. IMHO the biggest reason he was considered is that he represented the best opportunity to win NOW. It may be a little harsh but Saul is getting a great opportunity here and I hope he makes the very best of it.

BisBison
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
The big thing Saul had in his favor when he was hired is he represented continuity in the program. NDSU went out on a limb to hire a guy with zero head coaching experience because the team was set up to win in the next two years, and continuity was considered a major piece of the puzzle. Under the circumstances there will not be any honeymoon period for Saul. IMHO the biggest reason he was considered is that he represented the best opportunity to win NOW. It may be a little harsh but Saul is getting a great opportunity here and I hope he makes the very best of it.

You're not being harsh, you are being factual. Saul does have a great opportunity and here's to hoping he does make the best of it. He does have the player's support and that of Gene's, that's good enough for me for now. I think he did a lot of the Xs & Os so I'm thinking we'll be fine.

99Bison
09-27-2007, 10:40 PM
You're not being harsh, you are being factual. Saul does have a great opportunity and here's to hoping he does make the best of it. He does have the player's support and that of Gene's, that's good enough for me for now. I think he did a lot of the Xs & Os so I'm thinking we'll be fine.

agreed +++

ndsubison1
09-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Only good things can come out of a guy who was an assistant under Bo Ryan and Tim Miles...

TheDoctor
09-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Only good things can come out of a guy who was an assistant under Bo Ryan and Tim Miles...

Lets hope so! ;)

sambini
10-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Good luck Saul and staff were pulling for you+++