PDA

View Full Version : Pull McNorton's Redshirt?

CaBisonFan
09-22-2007, 03:40 AM
I haven't seen McNorton in practices, nor do I know anything about his attitude or academics...but after watching the Bison get stuffed several times against Sam Houston State, it looks like we miss Steffes big-time. Nothing against Tyler Roehl. He's been a huge contributor to the team, but it appears that we don't have a slasher that can really get to the hole and create havoc. To me, Roehl looked a little slow getting to the line of scrimmage, or was it just the situation, or the limitations of my computer coverage?

I could be so far off base on this that it isn't even funny. My brother has been to both games, and he thinks that the running game is missing something...namely...Kyle. My thread has mostly to do with his observation, in person.

Just how good is McNorton, what are your thoughts on the current personnel, and the over-all situation? I know that Roehl 'rolled' the yards up big-time in the first game. It also appeared that SHSU put about 8 or 9 guys in the box pretty often. Not being there to really see it in person has its disadvantages. My only real observation is that I think the Bison could use an option a few times a game to keep the defense more honest. Using Shaman a few times was great. Could he be a running back? Too small? Man...was he quick. This was the first time that I'd ever seen him play. Whoa! He's lightning.

I'm interested in your opinions. Please...I'm not knocking anyone like Blincoe or any other back.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:45 AM
I haven't seen McNorton in practices, nor do I know anything about his attitude or academics...but after watching the Bison get stuffed several times against Sam Houston State, it looks like we miss Steffes big-time. Nothing against Tyler Roehl. He's been a huge contributor to the team, but it appears that we don't have a slasher that can really get to the hole and create havoc. To me, Roehl looked a little slow getting to the line of scrimmage, or was it just the situation, or the limitations of my computer coverage?

I could be so far off base on this that it isn't even funny. My brother has been to both games, and he thinks that the running game is missing something...namely...Kyle. My thread has mostly to do with his observation, in person.

Just how good is McNorton, what are your thoughts on the current personnel, and the over-all situation? I know that Roehl 'rolled' the yards up big-time in the first game. It also appeared that SHSU put about 8 or 9 guys in the box pretty often. Not being there to really see it in person has its disadvantages. My only real observation is that I think the Bison could use an option a few times a game to keep the defense more honest. Using Shaman a few times was great. Could he be a running back? Too small? Man...was he quick. This was the first time that I'd ever seen him play. Whoa! He's lightning.

I'm interested in your opinions. Please...I'm not knocking anyone like Blincoe or any other back.

I think Roehl did fine, he only had 16 carres and still managed 80 yards with SHSU stuffing the box. That is what 5 yards a carry, not bad. It would be nice if Paschall could get a grip of the offense, I don't think he'll go down as easy as Blincoe does. He might be the slasher we need to alternate with Tyler. For now I think Roehl needs to get the ball more.

CaBisonFan
09-22-2007, 03:48 AM
I think Roehl did fine, he only had 16 carres and still managed 80 yards with SHSU stuffing the box. That is what 5 yards a carry, not bad. It would be nice if Paschall could get a grip of the offense, I don't think he'll go down as easy as Blincoe does. He might be the slasher we need to alternate with Tyler. For now I think Roehl needs to get the ball more.

I didn't realize that Tyler had 80 yards. It didn't seem like it. You could be right about Tyler needing more carries. What kind of athlete is Paschall? Big, quick, etc?

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:54 AM
I didn't realize that Tyler had 80 yards. It didn't seem like it. You could be right about Tyler needing more carries. What kind of athlete is Paschall? Big, quick, etc?

From the limited action I have seen he is shifty with good speed. Not that big but he seems like the guy that can get that first tackler to miss. Hopefully he can get a handle of the playbook because he definately intrigues me. That is also why I want McNorton to keep the redshirt, give him a year to learn the playbook, then next year if he is good enough have him spilt time with Roehl.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Right now it sounds like a guy that can play cornerback will have his redshirt pulled before anyone else. Cornerback is thin, running back is not.

Bisonguy
09-22-2007, 04:01 AM
Too early to tell, IMO.

Steffes didn't exactly put up great numbers against SFA or Ball State last year. NDSU didn't exactly start the season with a weak DII this year, either.

Hopefully Paschall gets some playing time soon. I think he'll be a nice compliment to Roehl.

And no, don't pull McNorton's redshirt. I want to see him in four years of playoffs. :nod:

CaBisonFan
09-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Too early to tell, IMO.

Steffes didn't exactly put up great numbers against SFA or Ball State last year. NDSU didn't exactly start the season with a weak DII this year, either.

Hopefully Paschall gets some playing time soon. I think he'll be a nice compliment to Roehl.

And no, don't pull McNorton's redshirt. I want to see him in four years of playoffs. :nod:

Thanks guys. Good points...all of you. I appreciate your insight. Do you guys think that McNorton has outstanding potential? Will he probably be the featured back in years to come?

Bisonguy
09-22-2007, 04:12 AM
A lot depends on how Paschall pans out. He'll still have two years of eligibilty after this year. IMO- Paschall/McNorton could be another Gordon/Perkins combo.

And Blincoe's not too shabby, either.

CaBisonFan
09-22-2007, 04:13 AM
A lot depends on how Paschall pans out. He'll still have two years of eligibilty after this year. IMO- Paschall/McNorton could be another Gordon/Perkins combo.

And Blincoe's not too shabby, either.

How big is Paschall?

Bisonguy
09-22-2007, 04:15 AM
He's listed at 6-0, 200.

CaBisonFan
09-22-2007, 04:16 AM
He's listed at 6-0, 200.

If he's quick, he'd be a load to tackle. Thanks

jeffdaryl3rd
09-22-2007, 04:42 AM
I don't see the need to pull his redshirt at this point. A big bruiser like Roehl is a perfect feature back for NDSU's offense and we have enough versatility with Blincoe, Paschall, and Shamen and Parsons on trick plays. Five yards per carry is pretty good for a big grinder, not to mention there was one play that he was running away from some guys so I think we under-rate his straight line speed to a degree.

CaBisonFan
09-22-2007, 04:51 AM
I don't see the need to pull his redshirt at this point. A big bruiser like Roehl is a perfect feature back for NDSU's offense and we have enough versatility with Blincoe, Paschall, and Shamen and Parsons on trick plays. Five yards per carry is pretty good for a big grinder, not to mention there was one play that he was running away from some guys so I think we under-rate his straight line speed to a degree.

That's good to hear. I hope that you're right. To me...Tyler is the kind of player that we want to be wearing a Bison uniform. Reminds me of some of the backs in the 70s and 80s. Names like Roller come to mind. Guys that could take the punishment and did whatever the team needed.

Gully
09-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Tyler is fine. Their defense took away the run and gave us the pass.....so we passed.

Don't pull the redshirt....we have plenty of good backs.

I predict McNorton will be the real deal AND we'll get to see his best four years when he's faster and stronger.

Mr. Burgundy
09-22-2007, 01:29 PM
In one practice I saw, PP was awesome, and ran HARD. He brought a load when he went down. I am excited to see him get some reps, but he remains deep on the chart until he gets his assignments figured out. This is a position of strength currently.

Herd
09-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Next year, adding DJ and Matt V. to the mix will make us extremely deep. I think that Roehl, Blincoe and Paschal can get the job done in 2007. It is best for the team that the reps be shared by these three in 2007, adding DJ and Matt to the mix in 2008, and giving them 4 full years after the redshirt. I'm sure that injuries could play a role in how things work out.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-22-2007, 02:38 PM
I am very excited to see McNorton next year and I think I am patient enough to wait. Another reason it is nice to have Roehl out there: with Roehl and a FB in the backfield you have two big backs who can hold their ground in pass protection and that means fewer hits on Steve Walker.

Jdubs21
09-22-2007, 03:45 PM
my prediction for next year is DJ starting tailback...roehl will get moved back to FB.....we will have DJ, Paschall and Voightlander(sp) to cover those positions....and hopefully blincoe

onbison09
09-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I want to see more of Pat.

NDSUstudent
09-24-2007, 03:23 AM
my prediction for next year is DJ starting tailback...roehl will get moved back to FB.....we will have DJ, Paschall and Voightlander(sp) to cover those positions....and hopefully blincoe

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Tyler Roehl 3 73 473 12 461 6.3 6 60 153.7

You want to move that kind of production to FB? I don't see how Roehl could possibly be moved to FB with what he has done thus far.

tony
09-24-2007, 03:33 AM
Yeah, I don't think Roehl is ever going back to fullback again. I tell ya, that play in the fourth where he went around left side and the pursuit could not catch him - that opened my eyes. Plus, you have to love the way he runs.

Bohl likes rotating backs - I expect Paschall will get more carries as the season goes on.

Tatanka
09-24-2007, 03:38 AM
P2 will need to get more and more reps if we want Tyler healthy at the end of the year.

As talented as McNorton looks to be, I'm very happy to see him redshirted. Stockpile that talent for later!!!

roadwarrior
09-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Where was Blincoe against CMU?

BisonCountry
09-24-2007, 04:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

Bison Dan
09-24-2007, 12:19 PM
P2 will need to get more and more reps if we want Tyler healthy at the end of the year.

As talented as McNorton looks to be, I'm very happy to see him redshirted. Stockpile that talent for later!!!

I'm with you. I think P2 will get stronger and better each game. We need him.

99Bison
09-24-2007, 01:12 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

He was out with a mildly strained hamstring(?), they were wondering on the radio and eventually figured it out.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't see this to be the right time to pull a redshirt when we are deep at halfback and Tyler Roehl is absolutely pounding people. Not to mention we have run the ball well all three weeks and we are UNDEFEATED. Why pull his redshirt now and trade his best year of football (5th year) for his worst (true freshman)?

OldBison
09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I don't think Roehl is ever going back to fullback again. I tell ya, that play in the fourth where he went around left side and the pursuit could not catch him - that opened my eyes. Plus, you have to love the way he runs.

Bohl likes rotating backs - I expect Paschall will get more carries as the season goes on.

Roehl's 33 yd TD run was a thing of beauty. And as Coach Bohl has pointed out, he punishes tacklers which gets a defense down. On that specific run, the DBs wanted nothing to do with tackling Tyler, they just wanted to patty-cake him.

But, 27-30 carries too much if we want him healthy down the road. Blincoe and Paschall have to get more carries this year. I hope Blincoe's hamstring injury isn't bad.