PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Staff

jeffdaryl3rd
09-21-2007, 04:24 PM
I was just browsing the coaching roster and realized that, while I like the new head coaching hire and I personally think that Mongo is to this day the best pitching coach I've ever had, I'm not real excited about our coaching staff. Our assistant coach's resume includes 3 years coaching HS, grad assistant for a year at UND and assistant coach for two years at an NAIA school (aka I think we could do better), while our grad assistant hit .128 his last year at NDSU and is not a guy that I see being able to give any sort of usable advice on D-I baseball. We have a great core with Brown and Mongo, but this program needs some money to hire some better guys to round out the coaching roster.

GetSerious
09-23-2007, 11:37 PM
You got a lot of nerve to come on this board and bash people man.... Watch what you say Wags!!!

GetSerious
09-23-2007, 11:37 PM
By the way all this is coming from a figure skater.... Good Call!!!!

jeffdaryl3rd
09-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm not bashing, at least that is not my intent, but I'm sticking by my initial reaction until I see what happens during the season and in recruiting next year. The main point to be made though is that the athletic department needs to invest some money in this program to push it to a level where it can be competitive. If there are Title IX reasons why that cannot be in the form of scholarships, then so be it, but a travel budget is needed as well as some money so the team can hire top-notch full time assistants so the head coach doesn't have to be on the road every day during the offseason recruiting just to fill out the roster with D-1 players. I'll stand by my initial, inexpert analysis for the moment though.

sambini
09-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Bottom line they have to recruit.

jeffdaryl3rd
10-01-2007, 05:12 AM
Absolutely. That will be made even tougher now that scholarships can only be split into 1/3's, which is important for a program like NDSU with a very limited amount of scholarships. Hopefully they do a great job and make me look like an idiot (more so than usual) for questioning them on any level.

sambini
10-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Do you see this staff recruiting in other areas?

boss
10-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I had a chance to chat with Coach Brown this weekend and he seems like he will be a good fit for the program. Time will tell on recruiting. Getting more funding and winning some games will help in that aspect big time.

jeffdaryl3rd
10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Couldn't agree more. I know a guy who played for him at Bowling Green and he had nothing but good things to say about him, so hopefully he can carry this program to the next level. Funding is going to be big as well though.