PDA

View Full Version : No More Grandma's

BisonBabe
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
A bidding war for some prime commercial real estate has led to the closing of a longtime Fargo restaurant.

Grandma’s Saloon & Grill, 4201 13th Ave. S., will shut down Oct. 21, according to Brian Daugherty, president of the Duluth, Minn.-based chain.

A Walgreens drug store is expected to open at the Grandma’s site, although details haven’t been worked out.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=178651&section=business

It was not a favorite of mine but some of my friends loved the place.

sambini
09-20-2007, 01:26 PM
And they are fine supporters of Teammakers.

BisonBabe
09-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Maybe they will find a new and improved location to re-open in.

sambini
09-20-2007, 01:36 PM
It didn't sound like they were in a hurry to find another spot. I bet they got good money for there location.

BisonBabe
09-20-2007, 01:42 PM
It didn't sound like they were in a hurry to find another spot. I bet they got good money for there location.

I would have to agree on that. It is prime real estate and many wanted it.

MN_BISON
09-20-2007, 01:47 PM
This is unfortunate, it doesn't get much better than the steak cheese french sandwich at Grandma's.

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
'cause that's what we need, another frickin Walgreens. :banghead:

bisonmike2
09-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Jees, when I come back to Fargo for homecoming is there going to be any places that I like to eat/drink at left? If I ever here that the Turf or Chubs is closing somebody better put me on suicide watch.

roadwarrior
09-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Grandma's will still be open during homecoming.

Teammakers after hours is at Grandma's today.

TheDoctor
09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I am not going to lie....I have always used Grandma's as a reference restaurant of ones that I know NO ONE who ever eats there. ;)

bisonmike2
09-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I am not going to lie....I have always used Grandma's as a reference restaurant of ones that I know NO ONE who ever eats there. ;)

I used to live right up the street from in on 42nd so I ate there all the time. And, your right, it really wasn't busy.

imabison
09-20-2007, 04:42 PM
I did not go there often, but they always have great beer on tap, and food was always good. In fact don't tell anybody, but I believe they have Spaten Ocktoberfest on tap right now...

BigBison
09-20-2007, 04:49 PM
I always like Grandma's I hope they build a new one. And how come Walgreens just couldnt move in to the space by Texas Roadhouse? Theres lots of open lots to fill in Fargo such as down on 45th by Grander mt, Lowes area, back by West Acres movie theater, etc...

Mr_Meanor
09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I am going to miss gradma's. I used to live just a few blocks away. They always had good happy hour specials.

BisonBabe
09-20-2007, 05:06 PM
I always like Grandma's I hope they build a new one. And how come Walgreens just couldnt move in to the space by Texas Roadhouse? Theres lots of open lots to fill in Fargo such as down on 45th by Grander mt, Lowes area, back by West Acres movie theater, etc...

The answer to that is Location Location Location.

TransAmBison
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
It sure did pale in comparison to the Grandma's in Duluth.

Herd Mentality
09-20-2007, 08:52 PM
I read that article this morning and the whole time in the back of my mind I'm thinking...

"Please let it be another Applebees! Please let it be another Applebees!"

Walgreens? What a letdown.

TheBisonator
09-21-2007, 12:21 AM
I read that article this morning and the whole time in the back of my mind I'm thinking...

"Please let it be another Applebees! Please let it be another Applebees!"

Walgreens? What a letdown.

There's already 3 Applebee's in this city, why do we need a fourth??

bisongirl
09-21-2007, 12:47 AM
I would love to see an Applebee's restaurant open up in Moorhead!

TransAmBison
09-21-2007, 01:51 AM
I would love to see every Applebees replaced with anything else.

Bisonguy
09-21-2007, 01:56 AM
I would love to see every Applebees replaced with anything else.

Especially the one by the Fargodome!

Herd Mentality
09-21-2007, 02:10 PM
You people actually thought I was serious? Here have some of this black kool-aid while you're at it!

TransAmBison
09-21-2007, 02:12 PM
You people actually thought I was serious? Here have some of this black kool-aid while you're at it!
I got it...

WePharm
09-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Grandma's was nothing special. What I miss most is the Grainery. The beer cheese soup (which you can still buy) and the Grainery buffet were outstanding. I believe the owner retired but I wish someone would have taken it over. Still it was light years better than what is there now -"Grisle's!

TAILG8R
09-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Grandma's was nothing special. What I miss most is the Grainery. The beer cheese soup (which you can still buy) and the Grainery buffet were outstanding. I believe the owner retired but I wish someone would have taken it over. Still it was light years better than what is there now -"Grisle's!

I am going to have to agree with you 100% on that one. I miss the deep fried ravioli.

56BISON73
09-21-2007, 11:56 PM

The Grainery was great. Still have memories of the Beer case soup, grilled shrimp and prime rib. Those big chalices of beer werent bad either. I think I still have one packed away.
So where can you buy the soup??? Is it the same recipe???? PL

Hammersmith
09-22-2007, 12:03 AM
The Grainery was great. Still have memories of the Beer case soup, grilled shrimp and prime rib. Those big chalices of beer werent bad either. I think I still have one packed away.
So where can you buy the soup??? Is it the same recipe???? PL

Most of the local grocery stores carry it in their freezer sections. I haven't bought it in several years, but I think it's the same as what used to be served.

56BISON73
09-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Most of the local grocery stores carry it in their freezer sections. I haven't bought it in several years, but I think it's the same as what used to be served.

Do you know the brand name or does it say Grainery???? PL

Hammersmith
09-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Do you know the brand name or does it say Grainery???? PL

It's sold under the Grainery name. It comes in a plain white plastic, ice cream-style pail(the smaller kind - 2.5 gallons, I think) with a gold foil label on the lid with black writing. I don't know if it's sold outside the FM area.

wilson
09-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Grandma's has awesome stuffed mushrooms (wild rice and cheese) and wild rice soup.

56BISON73
09-22-2007, 03:02 PM
It's sold under the Grainery name. It comes in a plain white plastic, ice cream-style pail(the smaller kind - 2.5 gallons, I think) with a gold foil label on the lid with black writing. I don't know if it's sold outside the FM area.

Thanks Hammer!!!! If anyone out there is shopping and sees this soup let me know what store it is so I can call them and see if they will ship. TIA PL

imabison
09-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Grandma's has awesome stuffed mushrooms (wild rice and cheese) and wild rice soup.
The Cajun Chicken Fetticine is excellent also.

4mcruenomore
09-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Someone explain to me how Walgreens can open a store being that ND has a "51%" rule, meaning that 51% of a pharmacy has to be owned by a pharmacist. There are no chains in ND, have you ever noticed that Target, Wally, Kmart doesn't have a pharmacy? Osco/Thrifty were grandfathered in, so when CVS bought Osco they were OK, but they can't open new locations. I call BS it's a true walgreens, although I do hope the law changes. But I know it hasn't, so if it is, it doesn't have a pharmacy. OH, and yes I know Wally has a pharmacy in Fargo, but a guy in Bis owns it.

sambini
09-23-2007, 06:20 AM
The Cajun Chicken Fetticine is excellent also.
It is awesome+++

BisonBabe
09-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks Hammer!!!! If anyone out there is shopping and sees this soup let me know what store it is so I can call them and see if they will ship. TIA PL

I think they have it at Hornbachers. Will double check when I go shopping later today.

Go_Herd
09-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I think they have it at Hornbachers. Will double check when I go shopping later today.

They do have it at Hornbachers I have seen it there.

BisonBabe
09-23-2007, 04:57 PM
They do have it at Hornbachers I have seen it there.

Thanks I thought I had seen it when doing my weekly shopping trip.

WePharm
09-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Yep, we bring a cooler along and pick up a pail at Hornbachers whenever we come to Fargo. Same as what the Grainery resturant served. Very rich but very good!! Don't know if they can ship it out. Call them & see

56BISON73
09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks to all for the information. Will give them a call. PL

56BISON73
09-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Someone explain to me how Walgreens can open a store being that ND has a "51%" rule, meaning that 51% of a pharmacy has to be owned by a pharmacist. There are no chains in ND, have you ever noticed that Target, Wally, Kmart doesn't have a pharmacy? Osco/Thrifty were grandfathered in, so when CVS bought Osco they were OK, but they can't open new locations. I call BS it's a true walgreens, although I do hope the law changes. But I know it hasn't, so if it is, it doesn't have a pharmacy. OH, and yes I know Wally has a pharmacy in Fargo, but a guy in Bis owns it.

Maybe a pharmacist owns the franchise??PL

BisonBabe
09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
In the event that Hornbachers can not ship to you Sunmart also carries it and may be another source for you.

56BISON73
09-24-2007, 03:05 AM
In the event that Hornbachers can not ship to you Sunmart also carries it and may be another source for you.

If they wont ship that means I just might have to come up for another game so I can get some.:D PL

BisonBabe
09-24-2007, 04:09 AM
If they wont ship that means I just might have to come up for another game so I can get some.:D PL

Always a great plan:)

Herd Mentality
09-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Grandma's has been hella-busy since the announcement. Tried to get in there on Friday night, took one look at the parking lot and said "forget this".

sunnyd
09-25-2007, 12:40 AM
In Fargo this summer, the only way I could orient myself on 13th Ave, was at Grandma's. Embrace the Change...

Everyone-
When I lived in Fargo, and spent a good deal of my dinners at Grandma's, I was in love with their Wild Rice Chicken Tetrazinni. I've been looking for a site that does the, "recipes from restaurants you love."

Anyone know?

56BISON73
09-25-2007, 01:44 AM
In Fargo this summer, the only way I could orient myself on 13th Ave, was at Grandma's. Embrace the Change...

Everyone-
When I lived in Fargo, and spent a good deal of my dinners at Grandma's, I was in love with their Wild Rice Chicken Tetrazinni. I've been looking for a site that does the, "recipes from restaurants you love."

Anyone know?

www.TopSecretRecipes.com (http://www.TopSecretRecipes.com)

\PL

sunnyd
09-26-2007, 02:17 AM
56, you're ROCKIN'! Thank you!

Now.
Anyone have a knoephla soup recipe? Nobody here in TX has experienced the wonder of the all-hallowed knoephla soup... I wanna turn the A/C waaay down low and create some autumnal atmosphere at a work potluck.

56BISON73
09-26-2007, 02:39 AM
56, you're ROCKIN'! Thank you!

Now.
Anyone have a knoephla soup recipe? Nobody here in TX has experienced the wonder of the all-hallowed knoephla soup... I wanna turn the A/C waaay down low and create some autumnal atmosphere at a work potluck.

If you like to cook sign up for their mailing list. Every week or so they will send you a new recipe. Some are free some you pay 79 cents for. Plus you can go to there archives and find recipes from chain resturants etc. PL

Hammersmith
09-26-2007, 02:43 AM

I believe that law was changed this year. It started as House Resolution HB1299, which was eventually passed by both House and Senate, and was signed by the governor. I assume it wasn't altered beyond its basic intention. It went into effect on Aug 1.

4mcruenomore
09-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Law didn't change, there always have been different versions, etc.. of how a rural hospital could own a pharmacy, etc...But if the actual law changed it would be front page news all over the state with major uprisings. I heard that the Gov. himself said he'd never sign such bill. Prairie Pharmacy in walmart in Fargo would now be called wal-mart pharmacy as well as major other changes in the state.

Hammersmith
09-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Okay, HB1299 was originally intended to repeal that law, but was gutted and reworked into a slightly changed version of the existing law plus a legislative council study on pharmacy regulation(including the ownership restriction) that will be reported to the next legislative session(2009). That version of HB1299 was passed and signed(but never reported on in the press - only the original version).

I never want to dig through that stuff again. Lawmaking sucks. And gives me a headache.

If Walgreens does open another store, I'm sure they'll just do what everyone else does. Put everything but prescription drugs in the store-proper, and put the p-drugs under the control of a "private" pharmacy LLC which just happens to have access to the Walgreens database.