PDA

View Full Version : Grand Forks columnist calls for return of Bison-Sioux

Swany
09-20-2007, 12:25 AM
In recent days Grand Forks Herald columnist Ryan Bakken has called for a return of the Bison-Sioux game. He commented on the issue today in his blog, which can be viewed at http://www.areavoices.com/bakken/. He has opened it up for comments. I've already taken the liberty to share my thoughts on the issue, and encourage you to do the same.

Why do UND fans think we need this game? We don't. Seems as if they also think we miss the game. I don't. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but times have changed. The game, at least today, seems to me to be like an old ex-girlfriend. Sure, there were some good times and memories. But remember how, and in the matter, she called it off. We were going away to play with the big boys and she was so jealous she told us not to come back. With the way they ended it, I'd even refuse a booty call if she called at 2a one night asking to play again next year. Would I like to see it played again? One day, maybe. But not today.

I invited Bakken to spend the Bison homecoming game tailgating in our west lot to hear how Bison fans really feel about the issue. We'll he accept? Methinks he is perhaps to chicken, Baaaaakk - en, Baaaak - en. :D

DIBISON
09-20-2007, 12:37 AM
The game will happen again sometime in the future. When it does I'll be excited and jacked. But for now it isn't on the schedule and I don't care. I've moved on and am happy with SHS, SDSU, Gophers and the list goes on. And beginning in 2008 there will be a great conference schedule that will provide outstanding new opponents!!

aces1180
09-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Bakken is a douche. Let me me add that no one would read his blog if he did not write about the Bison.

TheBisonator
09-20-2007, 01:03 AM
The rivalry will return, but not until 2012 at the earliest.

tcbison
09-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Nice posts by Bison fans so far on the blog comments. Let's keep it that way.

tcbison
09-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Anyone know what Bakken's view was when UND decided not to play NDSU. I would have to assume he sided with UND.

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 02:25 AM
Anyone know what Bakken's view was when UND decided not to play NDSU. I would have to assume he sided with UND.
He sure as hell didn't support NDSU...

wilson
09-20-2007, 02:29 AM
The return of the rivalry can't not happen. It will, someday. It makes too much financial sense... who can pass that up?

CaBisonFan
09-20-2007, 02:37 AM
In recent days Grand Forks Herald columnist Ryan Bakken has called for a return of the Bison-Sioux game. He commented on the issue today in his blog, which can be viewed at http://www.areavoices.com/bakken/. He has opened it up for comments. I've already taken the liberty to share my thoughts on the issue, and encourage you to do the same.

Why do UND fans think we need this game? We don't. Seems as if they also think we miss the game. I don't. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but times have changed. The game, at least today, seems to me to be like an old ex-girlfriend. Sure, there were some good times and memories. But remember how, and in the matter, she called it off. We were going away to play with the big boys and she was so jealous she told us not to come back. With the way they ended it, I'd even refuse a booty call if she called at 2a one night asking to play again next year. Would I like to see it played again? One day, maybe. But not today.

I invited Bakken to spend the Bison homecoming game tailgating in our west lot to hear how Bison fans really feel about the issue. We'll he accept? Methinks he is perhaps to chicken, Baaaaakk - en, Baaaak - en. :D

Bakken is an idiot. The school up north is so far off my radar that the Hubble couldn't find it for me. As far as the non-rivalry goes, I'm more interested in the mating habits of fruit flies. I'm not concerned about winning and losing...although it would be stupid for SU to play them right now. But I'm really talking about something as basic as nausea. This has gone into the twilight zone...somewhere far beyond a healthy rivalry. The people up north pushed it there. I'm going to have to hear some major sucking sound from up north, and some apologies, before I'll entertain entering the twilight zone.

Scooter1
09-20-2007, 02:39 AM

I'm pretty sure it was dark since it was somewhere inside his colon.

Bakken: "Goddammit, who wrote RT was here on my shitty wall?!?"

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 02:44 AM
:rofl:

Yes, Bakken has been known to have an acute case of anal-cranial proximity syndrome...

HerdBot
09-20-2007, 03:00 AM

We do not need this game at all. We have expanded our coverage to TV and have sold out 3 consecutive games, probably 4 after UC Davis. By bringing the game back, we are helping UND. Sorry, but last time I checked, UND is "the bad guy" and you don't help the bad guys. WIth some luck, we could sell out every single game this year. The Sioux end up drawing 6K at a playoff game.

NDSU1980
09-20-2007, 03:20 AM
I don't care if Mother Theresa and ET call for for the game to return. It's over. UND said so. They are water of the bridge and I want nothing to do with them. Besides, it will take them until 2015 to figure out who's in charge up there.

BisBison
09-20-2007, 03:42 AM
I don't care if Mother Theresa and ET call for for the game to return. It's over. UND said so. They are water of the bridge and I want nothing to do with them. Besides, it will take them until 2015 to figure out who's in charge up there.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: they stopped it, IF it starts again, and I'm not sure I care it will be on OUR terms, and that means in the FFD with no guaranty for a few years.:nod: :nod:

BISON Thunder
09-20-2007, 12:18 PM
The return of the rivalry can't not happen. It will, someday. It makes too much financial sense... who can pass that up?

Me............

roadwarrior
09-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Maybe Bakken should concentrate on what is going on up there right now?

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Maybe Bakken should concentrate on what is going on up there right now?
I'd have to say that he's doing a fine job of deflecting attention away from the real story. He's a good soldier in Ralph's army.

EagleBison
09-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Besides the Fargodome selling out, won't that mean the Bison have to play at UND every other time? That's one less home game for the Bison, every other year. Makes more financial sense for UND right now, being they don't sell out every game. Look at Montana, they don't play any road games, unless it's for a FBS payday.

Bison Dan
09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Bakken was all for not playing the Bison when it would hurt NDSU and now that it will help the Sioux he's all for playing. He has always been a shill for und. The whole town is full of sports journalists that are shills. Just look at the AD situation, is anyone up there looking in to it? There all scared to get on the bad side of und because they'll be blackballed. Remember Bruce Tillman back in the 90's, he suggested that rt try a different qb on his sports show and rt blackballed him from the pratice field, wouldn't even speak to him the rest of the season. Tillman was his biggest fan too. Bakken just started this little subject to reflect attention away from the AD situation.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing NDSU play UND, but at the same time I'm not real gung-ho about it either. I say we put our terms for a UND game on the table and if and when they decide they are willing to accept there will be a game. Terms: 1) No home and home, you come to the Fargo Dome 2) No guarantee money 3) Nickel on the line.

DORMIE
09-20-2007, 01:26 PM
I really get tired of the arrogance of Sioux fans. I go back to the old days of Moo U, the AC and The Farmer In The Dell. To them we're still the red headed step child down on the farm that they of course own. We just run it for them. They forgot pretty easily how we were treated (D1, my ass!) when we make the move and think we should move on, treating us like the bad guy because it never really happened. It would be sooo good for the State if we played again....I want to gag!! We already have 9 games scheduled in 2008 and 10 in 2009. They won't have a clue how to fill a schedule in their current situation and I love it!!

Gully
09-20-2007, 01:33 PM

Actually, at the rate we're selling out home games, it would only make financial sense for NDSU if they were to play the game in the FFD every year. If UND agrees to that, then we should play them in 2012. Otherwise, I'd prefer schedules like we have this year and next year.

imported_Bisongold
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't miss the vulgarity that the rivalry developed into. The players were never a problem...nothing but good sportsmanship. The fans, however, were another story. I much prefer the schedule now. Great games, sold out houses, good rivalry's ... but I have not witnessed any of the negatives that were apparent then. I vote to not play them again...ever!

imported_Bisongold
09-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't miss the vulgarity that the rivalry developed into. The players were never a problem...nothing but good sportsmanship. The fans, however, were another story. I much prefer the schedule now. Great games, sold out houses, good rivalry's ... but I have not witnessed any of the negatives that were apparent then. I vote to not play them again...ever!

imported_Bisongold
09-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Sorry for the double message. That is what happens when you leave your desk. Did I hit send or not??

Bison bison
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I have no problem playing them in 5+ years. but i don't want to see it be an every year game, it reduces our scheduling flexibility way too much.

one thing i don't think has been mentioned is that reserving a week with UND far in advance would affect our ability to schedule games with FBS teams. no doubt in my mind und would be completely inflexible just to be di(|(s.

Bison"FANatic"
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
UND took the stand that this game would do nothing for them when we were moving to D1. Well now that they want to play us, it will do nothing for us. Maybe we play it in 2012. Would it be good for the state? Yes but I think we are representing the state just fine right now without them. If they would have just moved with us it would have made things alot easier on everyone. It is now their turn to go through the tuff scheduling that our people have done so well with. You can lead in this world or you can follow and they decided to follow. Sometimes that has consequences.

G-city Bison Fan
09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I am a pretty young guy. I saw only 4 Bison Sioux football games while at NDSU, but I honestly would rather never see another one again.

lakesbison
09-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Screw Bakken And Screw Und!

Lets Never Play Them Ever!!!!

They Don"t Provide Anything For Us Anymore!!

Swany
09-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Many folks mention that the game would be good for the state of North Dakota. I disagree. While many NDakotans would enjoy the game, how does that translate into being good for the state? It isn't like there is some tremendous economic multiplier effect where millions of dollars would come pouring in because of the game. Would the game make people feel good about themselves, help out small business, or translate into more jobs? No. Good for the state? How is the game good for the state?

Saying that the game is good for the state is a poor way of making the case for the game. It'd be good for the state if UND dropped their ridiculous lawsuit against the NCAA, spending millions to bring bad exposure and p.r., which they will undoubtedly lose. It would be good for the state if UND would get their athletic department in order instead of wasting the taxpayers money trying to figure out whose got the biggest pair. (See McFeely's column today -- it's good and sums up what is happening to the north).

It's good for the state when NDSU beats Wisconsin and Marquette and becomes the toast of ESPN and is talked about around the country. It's good for the state when we are ranked #4 in FCS and have games scheduled again teams like Minnesota, Iowa State, Central Michigan, etc. That is exposure we haven't had in a long time from an athletic perspective.

Playing UND would be enjoyable for fans, but it would not be the same. They put the rivalry on life support and it has a fading heartbeat. Maybe it's time to pull the plug. As has been said, it makes no sense for us to waste one of our home dates traveling to Grand Forks. We only have a few open games each year now with the Gateway + a FBS team. I'd like those games to be at home. I'm sure NDSU would too, it means 18,000+ more fans, more ticket revenue, etc. We'd sure make out like bandits by playing in the tin bin infront of 10k on I-29 when we could have a home game with +18k.

EagleBison
09-20-2007, 03:17 PM
We'd sure make out like bandits by playing in the tin bin infront of 10k on I-29 when we could have a home game with +18k.

Maybe if UND paid NDSU $300,000 for a trip to Grand Forks. Afterall the Sioux have been DI for 200 years or something like that. ;)

msvjcpa
09-20-2007, 03:39 PM
I am new to Bison football and admittedly don't have an appreciation for the history and bad feelings over how UND treated NDSU some time back, but I can't help be read these posts and think it smacks a lot like why we're pissed at Tim Brewster for saying he doesn't need an NDSU game. Comments like, "We don't need this game" sound very familiar. Just a perspective...

cbline
09-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I am an NDSU alum (Class of '84), a Team Maker, and a Bison fan dating back to the late 1970's. I DO NOT feel that an NSDU-UND game is so vital to the program that Dr. Taylor should be scampering to even consider cranking it back up. Bison football has gone to the next level, and this is evidenced by the quality of play, the quality of athletes, the quality of opponents, the quality of exposure, etc. What does a UND game do for NDSU? Exposure? Already have that with the extended TV coverage. More revenue? Already have that with likely 4 straight packed houses in a row when homecoming takes place. Improved quality of opponents? Already have that when we are scheduled to play a number of Top 25 teams this year.

RodentiaX
09-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Certainly there are no favors owed, and with NDSU playing in the Gateway, there is far less need to fill a schedule. My guess is that the game will probably be played sooner or later, but the only reason to play sooner rather than later is to do a favor for UND, which, again, is not owed. If it is to be played, UND is not in a position to demand a home and home right away.

NDSUguy
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
There are some that are still pissed that UND ended the relationship (not only in football but all other sports)... Most of us however have moved on and really don't care one way or another if the rivalry is revived.

This really boils down to opportunity cost. Basically, what does NDSU lose if we decide to play UND. Let's break it down....

1. Revenue. Keeping in mind that next year NDSU will be in the Gateway conference that will allow us to schedule 3 non-conference games. Considering that the Gateway will give us 4 home games, we would be looking for 2 more home games each year to put the total at 6. Presumably NDSU would attempt to have 1 game against a D1A football school on the road. This is nothing more than a way to easily make large sums of money. The lure of getting paid 200-400k per game is much too strong of an offer to turn down.

2. Home games. If NDSU schedules one money game each year that leaves two other home games. NDSU has made many friends in the transition and there would likely be many teams that would love to schedule a game in Fargo. The Cal-Polys and Cal-Davis of the world would love to schedule a game in Fargo if for nothing else but to give them another game. Home games also allow for ticket sales. Of the 3 non-conference games there is little to no chance that NDSU would play 2 games on the road (unless both were paying large sums of money). Since UND would likely NEVER drop 100,000+ to have us travel to Grand Forks the chances that we would want to play on the road is slim (especially since there are bigger money games to be had with the expansion to 12 games in D1A). If NDSU were to have 2 home games, and if one were against UND, the contract would likely not be of the home and home variety. If anything it would be skewed in favor of NDSU due to all the reasons stated above.

3. Conflicting schedules. Depending on the start of conference games the ability to match up games with UND may become somewhat difficult to manage.

Now............would NDSU gain by playing UND......

More exposure? This seams less likely than playing Big10 schools.
More money? This seams less liekly than playing games against schools that will pay us
The Nickel? Yes, we would have the opportunity for that...but is that a big enough draw..... probably not. Hell, the Union does not even have a place for the nickel anymore.

The bottom line is this.... UND has much more to gain in reinstating the rivalry than does NDSU. We have a conference. We have games. We have a rapidly growing fanbase. UND needs games. UND needs more exposure. UND needs to give their fans something to cheer about.

It really seems onesided to me.... NDSU has no obligation to anyone but itself. D1 athletics is expensive and as such this should be treated as if it were strickly a business decision.

AKBison
09-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I would personally much rather see us schedule UC Davis every year for our annual non conference opponet. UC Davis gives us everything UND doesn't. TV exposure in a different market, a healthy clean rivalry and most of all mutual fan interest. We will play UND again at some point, but it should not be a primary concern of GT. If at some point they fit into the schedule then fine, perhaps once every three years that way every recruiting class will get a chance to play in the game.

aces1180
09-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I would personally much rather see us schedule UC Davis every year for our annual non conference opponet. UC Davis gives us everything UND doesn't. TV exposure in a different market, a healthy clean rivalry and most of all mutual fan interest. We will play UND again at some point, but it should not be a primary concern of GT. If at some point they fit into the schedule then fine, perhaps once every three years that way every recruiting class will get a chance to play in the game.

Cal Poly would work as well.

Bisonfan1
09-20-2007, 04:33 PM
in the words of "JBB" "UND - NEVER HEARD OF THEM"

tcbison
09-20-2007, 04:43 PM
I would really like to see Montana State honor their home and home agreement. UC Davis, Cal Poly, SUU and the Southland teams have been very good to the Bison.

99Bison
09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
There are some that are still pissed that UND ended the relationship (not only in football but all other sports)... Most of us however have moved on and really don't care one way or another if the rivalry is revived.

This really boils down to opportunity cost. Basically, what does NDSU lose if we decide to play UND. Let's break it down....

1. Revenue. Keeping in mind that next year NDSU will be in the Gateway conference that will allow us to schedule 3 non-conference games. Considering that the Gateway will give us 4 home games, we would be looking for 2 more home games each year to put the total at 6. Presumably NDSU would attempt to have 1 game against a D1A football school on the road. This is nothing more than a way to easily make large sums of money. The lure of getting paid 200-400k per game is much too strong of an offer to turn down.

2. Home games. If NDSU schedules one money game each year that leaves two other home games. NDSU has made many friends in the transition and there would likely be many teams that would love to schedule a game in Fargo. The Cal-Polys and Cal-Davis of the world would love to schedule a game in Fargo if for nothing else but to give them another game. Home games also allow for ticket sales. Of the 3 non-conference games there is little to no chance that NDSU would play 2 games on the road (unless both were paying large sums of money). Since UND would likely NEVER drop 100,000+ to have us travel to Grand Forks the chances that we would want to play on the road is slim (especially since there are bigger money games to be had with the expansion to 12 games in D1A). If NDSU were to have 2 home games, and if one were against UND, the contract would likely not be of the home and home variety. If anything it would be skewed in favor of NDSU due to all the reasons stated above.

3. Conflicting schedules. Depending on the start of conference games the ability to match up games with UND may become somewhat difficult to manage.

Now............would NDSU gain by playing UND......

More exposure? This seams less likely than playing Big10 schools.
More money? This seams less liekly than playing games against schools that will pay us
The Nickel? Yes, we would have the opportunity for that...but is that a big enough draw..... probably not. Hell, the Union does not even have a place for the nickel anymore.

The bottom line is this.... UND has much more to gain in reinstating the rivalry than does NDSU. We have a conference. We have games. We have a rapidly growing fanbase. UND needs games. UND needs more exposure. UND needs to give their fans something to cheer about.

It really seems onesided to me.... NDSU has no obligation to anyone but itself. D1 athletics is expensive and as such this should be treated as if it were strickly a business decision.

Nail on head +++

BisonBabe
09-20-2007, 05:05 PM
This was my comments.

Yes there will be a time when the games resume again. But one would hope that at that time that it would be a civilized rivalry. Rather than the way the last few years went. Even now there is a lot of negativity from all sides. Some are downright nasty. You just have to take a peek at any of the Football forums to see just how bad it is even though our teams have not played in many years.

As to who would win the game that is never a given. Any Given Saturday anyone can win the game. UND has played and has won against two FCS teams in the last two seasons. Congrats to them on those wins. NDSU has been very successful in FCS and has also played two FBS teams winning one to date and playing two more this season. Next year NDSU will be in the Gateway conference with this move scheduling has just become easier. NDSU has sold out three straight games and the atmosphere is electrifying inside the FargoDome.

Does NDSU need the games to resume to be successful?

The answer is no!

But someday they will resume but most likely not until UND is done with their transition.

BigBison
09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
I really dont think Notre Dame would come to Fargo. However they are in a slump. Maybe a home and home with them?

Bison"FANatic"
09-20-2007, 06:36 PM
NDSUGUY,

You are right on with your reasoning.

Bison bison
09-20-2007, 07:04 PM
we'll play, but it won't be annual game unless we are in the same conference.

bisonmike2
09-20-2007, 07:48 PM
we'll play, but it won't be annual game unless we are in the same conference.

There's no way we would commit 1 of our 3 non-conference games to UND every year. I see us meeting once every 3 or 4 years. We'll probably rotate between Cal-Poly, UC - Davis (or whatever they like to be called), UND and possibly even USD. It's great that we are finally in a position of actually selecting who we want to play for non-conference games. Most of our reclassification has been to take what we can get.

wilson
09-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Me............

when I ment "who" I was referring to people who would gain from financial success, as in the NDSU and UND bigs, they won't pass it up if they stand to make money in teh situation.

HerdBot
09-21-2007, 10:48 AM

I don't want to do anything to help those ass clowns from Grand Forks. Playing the top dog in the state helps them on every level including recruiting. I'm content watching the Bison sell out every home game that's on TV while UND plays Crookston in front of 9K fans or 6K fans at playoff games that they can't play anymore next year.

THEsocalledfan
09-21-2007, 04:48 PM
NDSUGUY,

You are right on with your reasoning.

NDSUGUY has quite good logic; there is no doubt. But, again, I think this could likely become a legislative issue if NDSU appears to be putting off playing UND. Don't underestimate the power of the UND alums and it is sure as heck what I would do in their shoes. Would it go anywhere? Maybe not, but does NDSU want to be fighting those issues with the legislature when they have more important things like education, faculty salaries, etc. to worry about?

So, I say start it again in 2009 with about the first 3-4 games at home, then start a home and home contract indefinetely. The 1A game will just need to not be played ocassionally. If NDSU keeps selling out, I can't imagine money will be a huge issue to the program. It is tradition to play UND and NDSU should never sink to UND's level and act like spoiled children "to get them back."

BisBison
09-21-2007, 06:28 PM
NDSUGUY has quite good logic; there is no doubt. But, again, I think this could likely become a legislative issue if NDSU appears to be putting off playing UND. Don't underestimate the power of the UND alums and it is sure as heck what I would do in their shoes. Would it go anywhere? Maybe not, but does NDSU want to be fighting those issues with the legislature when they have more important things like education, faculty salaries, etc. to worry about?

So, I say start it again in 2009 with about the first 3-4 games at home, then start a home and home contract indefinetely. The 1A game will just need to not be played ocassionally. If NDSU keeps selling out, I can't imagine money will be a huge issue to the program. It is tradition to play UND and NDSU should never sink to UND's level and act like spoiled children "to get them back."

NEVER sacrifice a FBS game to play the sue. It's not just the money. It's our desire to compete with the best, that's what we do here. "Bring on the competition." That's where we get visibility, that's what brings the top athletes to be Bison. IF the game fits into our plans then fine play it, but do not sacrifice any of our ideals. JMHO

Bisonguy
09-21-2007, 06:29 PM
NEVER sacrifice a FBS game to play the sue. It's not just the money. It's our desire to compete with the best, that's what we do here. "Bring on the competition." That's where we get visibility, that's what brings the top athletes to be Bison. IF the game fits into our plans then fine play it, but do not sacrifice any of our ideals. JMHO

Plus, the check can be bigger from an FBS. :nod: :nod:

THEsocalledfan
09-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Money over tradition? No way in my book. I think we will just need to agree to disagree on that one. Or, get the Trucks to play in Fargo yearly and everyone would be happy.

NDSUstudent
09-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I still say play em, after all the talk they have done over the past few years there would be no sweeter revenge then pounding them up and down FFD turf.

tcbison
09-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Now it looks like McFeeley is getting into the NDSU/UND talk on his blog.

Bisonguy
09-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Money over tradition? No way in my book. I think we will just need to agree to disagree on that one. Or, get the Trucks to play in Fargo yearly and everyone would be happy.

I'm not opposed to playing the game, but if it comes down to a high level FBS and UND, which do you think Gene will choose?

How much would the athletic budget be helped with $500K above what a NDSU/UND game would net?(and that's not even factoring in the cost of additional security at the Fargodome to prevent another 'seating' incident :smh: )

RedRiver
09-21-2007, 09:34 PM
McFeeley should know that negotiations require good faith efforts from both sides. How can the schools start talking now, UND has neither a President or AD?

BisBison
09-21-2007, 09:38 PM
McFeeley should know that negotiations require good faith efforts from both sides. How can the schools start talking now, UND has neither a President or AD?

They didn't have a President or AD before that could negotiate in good faith. Nothing has changed in that area.

lakesbison
09-21-2007, 10:19 PM
TYPICAL BS.

everything goes down the toilet at UND ... so to get limelight off that bad situation, they all start YAPPING about this.

HA HA.. TOO LATE!!!

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 01:36 AM
I really get tired of the arrogance of Sioux fans. I go back to the old days of Moo U, the AC and The Farmer In The Dell. To them we're still the red headed step child down on the farm that they of course own. We just run it for them. They forgot pretty easily how we were treated (D1, my ass!) when we make the move and think we should move on, treating us like the bad guy because it never really happened. It would be sooo good for the State if we played again....I want to gag!! We already have 9 games scheduled in 2008 and 10 in 2009. They won't have a clue how to fill a schedule in their current situation and I love it!!

I agree entirely. The state doesn't want or need this game. UND is the only one that wants it because it helps them. UND views this game as putting them on the level of the Bison thereby lowering NDSU to them and making the state seem them as the same or better than NDSU. This game would do nothing but harm NDSU.

NDSU1980
09-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Nope, we don't play them. They stopped it, and it's over with. When I make my donation to NDSU when the kids call, I intend to make it clear, you play the sue, don't bother to call for a few years. I love NDSU, but we need to have a few priorities here. We can continue the rivalry very easily with a cold war, rather then pounding them on the field. Hey, that same strategy bought down the Soviet Union, put the screws to UND the same way.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 01:49 AM

Good logic. Give up $300,000 to play at UND.:banghead: :banghead: What are you smoking.

As for your idiotic statement that the legislature will get involved give me a break. If they even tried to do something they should be expelled for wasting tax payer money. This issue has nothing to do with the state legislature. :banghead: :banghead:

The AD's schedule the games and Gene Taylor has stated time and time again that NDSU wants 6 home games every year. NDSU has shown that if they can't get 6 home games against FCS competition they will schedule 2 road money games against FBS teams.

Wake up and smell the coffee UND does nothing for NDSU. :banghead: :banghead: All NDSU would be doing is allowing UND to play in front of a sold out crowd for once. :banghead: :banghead:

Sold out games seem to be the norm rather than the exception at NDSU these days. :D :D

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 02:04 AM
NDSU has shown that if they can't get 6 home games against FCS competition they will schedule 2 road money games against FBS teams.

The 2 FBS thing is done, if we can't get 6 home games we will be on the road doing a home and home with some FCS team. Playing 2 FBS teams gets NDSU nowhere as far the playoffs are for concerned, plus we are already in the toughest FCS conference.

As for UND, if anyone thinks we will never play UND your kidding yourself. The state will want the game and the pressure will be just too much for NDSU.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 02:09 AM
Who is this state? Have they been scheduling NDSU's football games? Did this same "state" want or need the football game when UND stopped playing NDSU? Did this same "state" pressure UND into stopping their idiotic ranting about NDSU moving to division I and force them to schedule NDSU?

You know as well as everyone else knows the only reason UND wants to play this game is because it helps them. This game does absolutely nothing for NDSU.

My stance remains: You play UND only if they get in the same conference with you or you get scheduled to play them in a playoff or tournament game.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Who is this state? Have they been scheduling NDSU's football games? Did this same "state" want or need the football game when UND stopped playing NDSU? Did this same "state" pressure UND into stopping their idiotic ranting about NDSU moving to division I and force them to schedule NDSU?

You know as well as everyone else knows the only reason UND wants to play this game is because it helps them. This game does absolutely nothing for NDSU.

My stance remains: You play UND only if they get in the same conference with you or you get scheduled to play them in a playoff or tournament game.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

The state enjoyed the game. The longer NDSU decides not to play UND the more they will make it out to look like we are ducking them. That won't sit well, it will give NDSU a negative public image.

As for playing UND they will be a solid FCS team and I don't see anything wrong with playing solid FCS teams. We didn't leave DII to duck UND and I don't see why we should start that now. I don't see how this game helps UND much, they will be in a solid FCS conference and will be bringing solid teams to GF. Sure if they play us they'll sell a few more tickets in their grain bin but so what. I'd rather let them make a few bucks then have to listen to this NDSU-UND BS any longer. It is all petty and childish, to me there is no good reason for NDSU to not play UND post 2010.

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 02:27 AM
Very interesting:

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/09/21/sports/sports04.txt

“Appalachian State's victory over Michigan continues to complicate matters a little bit more for teams in our division,” said O'Day. “It is cutting down the number of FBS opponents who want to pay you large amounts of dollars. It used to be they thought they were bringing in people and chalking up a win."

If I'm say...Barry Alvarez, this gives me food for thought. Your program is headed that direction...could be a blessing and a curse.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 02:50 AM
The state enjoyed the game. The longer NDSU decides not to play UND the more they will make it out to look like we are ducking them. That won't sit well, it will give NDSU a negative public image.

As for playing UND they will be a solid FCS team and I don't see anything wrong with playing solid FCS teams. We didn't leave DII to duck UND and I don't see why we should start that now. I don't see how this game helps UND much, they will be in a solid FCS conference and will be bringing solid teams to GF. Sure if they play us they'll sell a few more tickets in their grain bin but so what. I'd rather let them make a few bucks then have to listen to this NDSU-UND BS any longer. It is all petty and childish, to me there is no good reason for NDSU to not play UND post 2010.

NDSU gave UND a 4 year contract for home and home games in 2003, 2002 whenever it was, and UND called a press conference to announce that they would not be playing NDSU in any of the big time sports. NDSU said fine we'll do something else and schedule other schools that want to play us.

UND has made it clear they want to play NDSU. NDSU is aware of it. We don't need to hear it every day. NDSU will be the ones that decides when the game is played again and NDSU should do it when it benefits NDSU the most not when it benefits UND the most.

I still stand by my 6 home games against FCS schools and 1 FBS money game, if that doesn't work 5 FCS home games and 2 FBS money games. The only reason NDSU should ever set foot in UND's stadium is if they are in the same conference as NDSU. NDSU is in control of this situation because NDSU is in the conference with 9 schools and 8 guaranteed games. NDSU can fill a schedule to achieve the desired 6 home games against FCS teams without having to travel to another FCS school to play. Playing a home and home against a FCS opponent eliminates the FBS money game which is BAD. It won't eliminate the 6 home games against FCS schools.

Where would NDSU recover this money that you are willing to throw away by playing at UND? FBS schools pay very well and NDSU earns more at home than they would playing at UND.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-22-2007, 02:56 AM
NDSU gave UND a 4 year contract for home and home games in 2003, 2002 whenever it was, and UND called a press conference to announce that they would not be playing NDSU in any of the big time sports. NDSU said fine we'll do something else and schedule other schools that want to play us.

UND has made it clear they want to play NDSU. NDSU is aware of it. We don't need to hear it every day. NDSU will be the ones that decides when the game is played again and NDSU should do it when it benefits NDSU the most not when it benefits UND the most.

I still stand by my 6 home games against FCS schools and 1 FBS money game, if that doesn't work 5 FCS home games and 2 FBS money games. The only reason NDSU should ever set foot in UND's stadium is if they are in the same conference as NDSU. NDSU is in control of this situation because NDSU is in the conference with 9 schools and 8 guaranteed games. NDSU can fill a schedule to achieve the desired 6 home games against FCS teams without having to travel to another FCS school to play. Playing a home and home against a FCS opponent eliminates the FBS money game which is BAD. It won't eliminate the 6 home games against FCS schools.

Where would NDSU recover this money that you are willing to throw away by playing at UND? FBS schools pay very well and NDSU earns more at home than they would playing at UND.

++++ Couldn't agree more. On our terms, on our turf.

NDSU1980
09-22-2007, 02:58 AM

I dunno, I'm part of the state. I don't want this game. I don't want UND in our conference. Hell, I don't even want UND in this state, but I suppose that's pushing it. Why play a team in transition?

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 02:59 AM
What is the Central Michigan payout?

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:00 AM

You can spare me the history lesson because I am will aware of it all. With that said NDSU should leave all that behind, be the better man and move on. Also NDSU will play road FCS games your crazy if you think otherwise. Home and homes are the only way to get decent games and if you don't believe that just look at Montana. Everytime NDSU schedules a home and home with an FCS team not named UND we will hear about, they'll beat that horse all night long up north just to make us look like the bad guy. I hope Taylor does the UND home and home. Another FCS home and home and then either a money game with an FBS or pay some FCS to play us at home. We don't need an FBS every year, the school will survive just fine if we don't.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:03 AM
What is the Central Michigan payout?

$175-200k I think

TheBisonator
09-22-2007, 03:05 AM
What everyone seems to be forgetting is that possibly for many years ahead, NDSU will want to keep scheduling Cal-Poly and UC Davis every year, as compensation for them being in the GWFC and playing us every year in our transition. So if an average 11-game season has 8 conference games and one FBS game, that leaves UCD and Poly as the two remaining spots, but because we want to play 6 home games, maybe only one of them will travel here, and we might pay a guarantee to an OVC team like Eastern Illinois or Tennessee-Martin, for example, to come play here. Then our schedule is done.

Here's what I see as a typical season schedule for the Bison in any given year next decade:

At Missouri
TENNESSEE-MARTIN
CAL-POLY
At Northern Iowa
YOUNGSTOWN STATE
At Western Illinois
At Missouri State
ILLINOIS STATE
INDIANA STATE
At Southern Illinois
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Switch Cal-Poly and UC Davis every year, pay a guarantee to an OVC or Big South team every year, pick any good FBS team, and there you go. No room for UND.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:06 AM
The thing I don't understand is why everyone says it is time to be the better man.

Let's see, UND said no games, NDSU said fine and moved on. UND fell way behind with interest in their program trending down so they say let's play NDSU again. Has UND done anything to warrant NDSU being the better man? Has UND admitted to any wrongdoing? You can't be the better man by giving the other guy what he wants without making him earn it. If NDSU forgets the past and gives in without very public apologies and crow eating from all at UND they will just be UND's patsies not the better man.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 03:07 AM
$175-200k I think

Thanks. You have a good AD, he will do what's in NDSU's best interests. My opinion is that assuming there is a pipeline for two FBS money games every season is unrealistic, borderline greedy. The App St-Mich game may have tipped that even further, I guess we'll have to see.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:08 AM
You can spare me the history lesson because I am will aware of it all. With that said NDSU should leave all that behind, be the better man and move on. Also NDSU will play road FCS games your crazy if you think otherwise. Home and homes are the only way to get decent games and if you don't believe that just look at Montana. Everytime NDSU schedules a home and home with an FCS team not named UND we will hear about, they'll beat that horse all night long up north just to make us look like the bad guy. I hope Taylor does the UND home and home. Another FCS home and home and then either a money game with an FBS or pay some FCS to play us at home. We don't need an FBS every year, the school will survive just fine if we don't.

I still say NDSU will have 6 home games against FCS teams every season. That means traveling to a FCS school eliminates $200,000 to $600,000 from NDSU's athletic budget. I take the $200,000 to $600,000 with 6 home games against FCS schools every time.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

NDSU1980
09-22-2007, 03:10 AM

No, I think we'll be the better team and play FBS teams or strong FCS teams. Remember, we have a new conference and only need three games to fill our schedule. Why waste one of those three on UND?

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Thanks. You have a good AD, he will do what's in NDSU's best interests. My opinion is that assuming there is a pipeline for two FBS money games every season is unrealistic, borderline greedy. The App St-Mich game may have tipped that even further, I guess we'll have to see.

One FBS money game with a BCS school (Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri) and one FBS game against a WAC, MAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA, Mountain West school if needed. NDSU beat Ball State last year and should have beat Minnesota and Central Michigan didn't run and hide.

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 03:12 AM
I still say NDSU will have 6 home games against FCS teams every season. That means traveling to a FCS school eliminates $200,000 to $600,000 from NDSU's athletic budget. I take the $200,000 to $600,000 with 6 home games against FCS schools every time.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You are still new to the division. This goal seems lofty, maybe even arrogant.

NDSU1980
09-22-2007, 03:13 AM
The thing I don't understand is why everyone says it is time to be the better man.

Let's see, UND said no games, NDSU said fine and moved on. UND fell way behind with interest in their program trending down so they say let's play NDSU again. Has UND done anything to warrant NDSU being the better man? Has UND admitted to any wrongdoing? You can't be the better man by giving the other guy what he wants without making him earn it. If NDSU forgets the past and gives in without very public apologies and crow eating from all at UND they will just be UND's patsies not the better man.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Best post I've seen today. I love how UND is groveling and literally begging for this game.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:13 AM

NDSU did punish UND, they wanted a game and Taylor pretty much said not until 2010. He won't play UND until it makes sense for NDSU. With that said we can't drag out what UND did forever, there comes a time where we need to just let it go even if they don't want to admit any wrongdoing.

We are going to start playing them in hoops and volleyball and whatever other sport again. Football will happen sooner or later.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:16 AM
You are still new to the division. This goal seems lofty, maybe even arrogant.

NDSU has 4 home games every year from the Gateway. That is two to bring in to the Dome. NDSU pays good guarantees.

NDSU is repaying home and homes built up during the transition hell though. Sam Houston State in 2009 is an away game as is Iowa State that means 1 home game to fill.

TheBisonator
09-22-2007, 03:20 AM
NDSU has 4 home games every year from the Gateway. That is two to bring in to the Dome. NDSU pays good guarantees.

NDSU is repaying home and homes built up during the transition hell though. Sam Houston State in 2009 is an away game as is Iowa State that means 1 home game to fill.

You're right on NDSU paying good guarantees. NDSU makes an average of $200,000-$250,000 per sellout game in ticket sales alone (15,000 non-students at a conservative avg. of $15 per ticket), so it's completely within our ability to pay guarantees of $150,000+ to any OVC, NEC or Big South team to come here for one game.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:21 AM

I think it may even go beyond that, NDSU is already joining the Gateway and really what sense does it make to play two FBS games. Sure if you can get them the money is great but those games will always be an uphill battle to a win. I don't see a program like ours sacrificing the playoffs for money. I still like what Montana does, wait until an FBS comes to your doorstep offering you 450-600K to play.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:21 AM
NDSU did punish UND, they wanted a game and Taylor pretty much said not until 2010. He won't play UND until it makes sense for NDSU. With that said we can't drag out what UND did forever, there comes a time where we need to just let it go even if they don't want to admit any wrongdoing.

We are going to start playing them in hoops and volleyball and whatever other sport again. Football will happen sooner or later.

Why can't they apologize? What is it about them that makes you think they are above having to admit wrong doing or guilt? Many at UND still believe NDSU killed the rivalry by moving up to division I. Many still believe NDSU is at fault because the media never held UND to their actions. Gone and forgotten in the media's mind. The media didn't even question UND's move after blasting NDSU for 4 years for making the move.

Women's basketball and football will be the last ones played. Amy Ruley got taken to the shed when she asked Roebuck for games at the start of the transition. UND is the furthest thing from Amy's mind.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:23 AM
I think it may even go beyond that, NDSU is already joining the Gateway and really what sense does it make to play two FBS games. Sure if you can get them the money is great but those games will always be an uphill battle to a win. I don't see a program like ours sacrificing the playoffs for money. I still like what Montana does, wait until an FBS comes to your doorstep offering you 450-600K to play.

Division I FCS football isn't division II. You actually get credit for playing up in division I FCS. Look at how many 4 loss teams made the playoffs last season. You play the best and play your best against them. Why weaken the schedule because you finally have 8 conference games?

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Name one good team NDSU has paid to play us here? The SUU's, Albany's, and Northeastern's of the world will take our 125k but the top tier teams will just laugh at our arrogance.

TheBisonator
09-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Name one good team NDSU has paid to play us here? The SUU's, Albany's, and Northeastern's of the world will take our 125k but the top tier teams will just laugh at our arrogance.

Like I said in my previous posts, the OVC is an untapped well of halfway-decent teams. Sure, they're not the FCS' elite, but there are a lot of teams in that conference that I would like to see play here. Eastern Illinois, Tenn-Martin, Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville State, all teams we could pay 150K guarantees to.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Division I FCS football isn't division II. You actually get credit for playing up in division I FCS. Look at how many 4 loss teams made the playoffs last season. You play the best and play your best against them. Why weaken the schedule because you finally have 8 conference games?

You know what you more then likely going to get 2 big Ls for playing up. You want to get into the playoffs you better go 8-3 or forget about it. So by playing 2 FBS teams we could effectively be painting our football team into the corner of having to go through the very tough Gateway and only lose once.

KC_Hats
09-22-2007, 03:29 AM
I thought you were worried about the playoffs? Paying Northeastern, Mississippi Valley State ect. are still FCS home games.

You obviously want to play UND as soon as possible without making them pay for their actions. I obviously don't want them on the schedule until forced to play them. We will never agree and you will never convince me that helping UND is a good thing for NDSU. I guess what I'm saying is you lobby for your buddies UND on the schedule and I'll lobby to keep them off the schedule. Let's let others discuss their opinions because you'll never change mine and obviously yours won't be changed either.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:31 AM
Like I said in my previous posts, the OVC is an untapped well of halfway-decent teams. Sure, they're not the FCS' elite, but there are a lot of teams in that conference that I would like to see play here. Eastern Illinois, Tenn-Martin, Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville State, all teams we could pay 150K guarantees to.

At this level I just don't think pay games is the way to go when you have FBS teams that will pay 200k+ depending on their status. Why should those OVC teams go to our house and face a probable loss when they can go somewhere else and get it for more $$$.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:32 AM
I thought you were worried about the playoffs? Paying Northeastern, Mississippi Valley State ect. are still FCS home games.

You obviously want to play UND as soon as possible without making them pay for their actions. I obviously don't want them on the schedule until forced to play them. We will never agree and you will never convince me that helping UND is a good thing for NDSU. I guess what I'm saying is you lobby for your buddies UND on the schedule and I'll lobby to keep them off the schedule. Let's let others discuss their opinions because you'll never change mine and obviously yours won't be changed either.

UND isn't my buddy, I'm just a realist.

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 03:32 AM
Why can't they apologize? What is it about them that makes you think they are above having to admit wrong doing or guilt? Many at UND still believe NDSU killed the rivalry by moving up to division I. Many still believe NDSU is at fault because the media never held UND to their actions. Gone and forgotten in the media's mind. The media didn't even question UND's move after blasting NDSU for 4 years for making the move.

Women's basketball and football will be the last ones played. Amy Ruley got taken to the shed when she asked Roebuck for games at the start of the transition. UND is the furthest thing from Amy's mind.

I stand by Roger's decision, solely regarding football. If I were the AD, the rest of the games would have continued...every sport.

Bisonguy
09-22-2007, 03:36 AM
You know what you more then likely going to get 2 big Ls for playing up. You want to get into the playoffs you better go 8-3 or forget about it. So by playing 2 FBS teams we could effectively be painting our football team into the corner of having to go through the very tough Gateway and only lose once.

Two FBS teams was the exception this year. I know Gene (and Craig) ideally want a big-time FBS (Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin) one year, and a 'winnable' FBS (MAC, Sunbelt) in alternating years.

NDSUstudent
09-22-2007, 03:40 AM
Two FBS teams was the exception this year. I know Gene (and Craig) ideally want a big-time FBS (Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin) one year, and a 'winnable' FBS (MAC, Sunbelt) in alternating years.

That is exactly how I would schedule it as well. No sense in playing 2 in a season and it is always nice to play the ones you can have a good chance at beating even if it means getting less $$$.

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 03:42 AM
That is exactly how I would schedule it as well. No sense in playing 2 in a season and it is always nice to play the ones you can have a good chance at beating even if it means getting less $$$.

It's the "Marshall" plan. They're C-USA now, right?

Hammersmith
09-22-2007, 03:45 AM
Gene Taylor has repeatedly said that he does not plan to schedule 2 FBS teams in the same season again. At current ticket prices, a sellout nets NDSU about $250,000 sans payout to opponent. With modest increases in ticket prices(after 2 years of sellouts), that number could easily rise to $300,000-$350,000. Montana and Montana State are in the doghouse for trying to schedule 7 home games every year, not 6. They are also there because they've been buying out contracts that were agreed to as home-and-homes. As long as NDSU is up front about wanting guarantee games rather than backing out of H/H's, there shouldn't be much bad blood. Six annual home games is not outside the realm of possibility; we are one of the few FCS programs that can make it work.

All of that said; let's wait until a playoff meeting breaks the ice. If that's in 2013, 2017 or 2020, it doesn't matter to me. As a NDSU alumnus and a lifelong ND resident, I'm in no hurry to see the return of the games. One thing I'd put money on: we won't see a match-up in WBB as long as Gene Roebuck is UND's coach unless they get into the Summit; not if Amy Ruley has anything to say about it.

Hammerhead
09-22-2007, 03:49 AM
I used to be all for renewing the rivalry, but I think I'm coming around. Was the Fargdome ever sold out for a non-UND game before last season? There certainly is no shortage of butts in the seats this year.

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 03:50 AM
Gene Taylor has repeatedly said that he does not plan to schedule 2 FBS teams in the same season again. At current ticket prices, a sellout nets NDSU about $250,000 sans payout to opponent. With modest increases in ticket prices(after 2 years of sellouts), that number could easily rise to $300,000-$350,000. Montana and Montana State are in the doghouse for trying to schedule 7 home games every year, not 6. They are also there because they've been buying out contracts that were agreed to as home-and-homes. As long as NDSU is up front about wanting guarantee games rather than backing out of H/H's, there shouldn't be much bad blood. Six annual home games is not outside the realm of possibility; we are one of the few FCS programs that can make it work.

All of that said; let's wait until a playoff meeting breaks the ice. If that's in 2013, 2017 or 2020, it doesn't matter to me. As a NDSU alumnus and a lifelong ND resident, I'm in no hurry to see the return of the games. One thing I'm fairly certain of: we won't see a match-up in WBB as long as Gene Roebuck is UND's coach unless they get into the Summit; not if Amy Ruley has anything to say about it.

NDSU has a four year head start, so that may very well be in your best interest's, which I'm cool with. Iowa and Iowa State went on what, a 40 year hiatus, so it's not unheard of.

4mcruenomore
09-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Seems to me they were scared to lose the beloved Nickel, all their fans I've talked to in a drunken haze at the bars scream, "But we have the Nickel". So, F'm them, I say let's play them, win it back, and then say we won't play them again, it's what they did to us. Their goal should be to sell some tickets to their games, play a decent schedule, win some big(er) games (SUU doesn't even come close) and then come talk to us. OH, find a conference. I say forget them, like they did to us, maybe they can schedule Mary next year for a non-conference to fill up their schedule.

bisoneer
09-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Bakken is being two faced here so be careful. He absolutely ripped SU when we went D!, he said we would be O for in everything. He is such a dip, dont invite him to your tailgate party, dont even give him a beer. They are swimming big time up there to keep their heads above water.. If we play em again, let make it in the playoffs and kick butt.

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Say the next meeting was in the 2013 playoffs.....how tough of a ticket would that be to get?

DIBISON
09-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Now it looks like McFeeley is getting into the NDSU/UND talk on his blog.

McFeely says that the schools should be sitting down now to figure out how to renew the game. He continues that it might not happen for 5 years but the schools should be talking NOW.

Dear Mike:

Who should NDSU be talking to?
UND President Kupcella. Opps, he is a lame-duck President that doesn't care.
UND athletic director. Opps, nobody knows if there is one.
UND puppet Phil Harmenson. The UND administrator that is the boss of the athletic department. Opps, he is the biggest NDSU hater that there is at that school.

No Mike, it is foolish for the schools to even be talking about a game right now. Like you said the game may be renewed in five years. So let them talk in 2011.

After all, maybe the new UND President and the new UND AD will decide to remain in DII. Why waste everyone's time by talking prematurely??

Hammersmith
09-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Talk about thinking alike...

I sent him this email about two hours ago:

Exactly who should Chapman and Taylor be talking to at the moment? The president hiding on some far off continent? The VP who can't comment on what he had for breakfast? The AD who was apparently abducted by the Men-In-(Kelly)Green? Tweedledum and Tweedledee <cough> I mean the new co-acting athletic directors? (or is that Brutus and Judas?)

Seriously though, if UND handles the situation well from here out(big if), they should leave Ralston and Brekke in place until the new president can choose a permanent AD. The DI stakes are just too great to have another Pres/AD pairing that doesn't work. Any discussion of renewing the rivalry needs to wait until the new people are in place and have a chance to get used to their jobs(assuming they don't promote from within).

Personally, I don't mind waiting for the ice to be broken by a playoff game in 2012 or beyond. As an NDSU alumnus, I don't have strong feelings whether the next meeting on the football field is in 2008 or 2058 as long as Taylor, or a future AD, feels it's the best decision for NDSU at that time.