PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to rethink the FFD Basketball arena?

AKBison
09-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Two things come to mind. The first being it would be great for NDSU to have our own on campus facility. No Dome authority to go through for dates, a place of our own. We would be able to to keep revenues from concerts, conventions, etc... We are finally in a conference. Would it kill us to hold off five more years in order to raise enough money to do the BSA up right? (The 30 million dollar option that includes everything)

Secondly and more importantly, if the Dome excess tax is used up to build a basketball arena, how will major renovations be accomplished at the dome? We are at 3 straight sell outs for football with a likely fourth for UC Davis. Within five years time, we may be looking at a situation where season tickets are sold out before the season opens. Then what? There won't be money for future major expansions, there won't be money to build the storage facility that is needed for field turf, there won't be money to upgrade the lighting, there won't be money to upgrade the seats and get rid of the ugly blue, there won't be money to upgrade the press box etc... It would take another FFD tax referendum to get the above done. I know under the current proposal that it leaves enough money in the dome account for upgrades and maintance, but this would never cover the major upgrades needed to sustain a true DI Football program. Like it or not, we are stuck with the Dome for a long, long time so we may as well make sure it is the best it can be.

Now with all that said, if not using the Dome tax for a new arena relegated us to an updated BSA with a similar seating configuration for the long term future, then scratch it. We need a first class basketball facility one way or another, a future conference upgrade depends on it.

Opinions?

roadwarrior
09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
The current $23M proposal for the BSA includes upgrading the basketball arena, but in no way will it come close to being as nice as a new arena attached to the Fargodome. I say if this Fargodome project makes sense, go for it as soon as possible. Waiting 5 or more years will only increase the cost of a new arena by many millions of dollars, and more importantly will keep us in our current arena.

A new arena will definitely increase the attendance and excitement of Bison basketball, not to mention the effect on recruiting. The sooner we can get there, the better.

NDSUstudent
09-18-2007, 08:29 PM
We need to get basketball into a first class venue as soon as possible. End of story.

TheBisonator
09-18-2007, 08:34 PM
It's all about priorities. A new basketball facility is needed last week. Not today, not yesterday, last week. Let's worry about Dome upgrades for football after we take care of the basketball situation first, and most importantly, do it RIGHT. That means make it an NDSU facility, not another thing with blue and red seats. Green and yellow seats and Bison logos everywhere. If NDSU ends up paying for 2/3rds of the place, NDSU should be able to say what decoration goes into the place. Let's just worry about the basketball arena. One thing at a time.

While we don't play in the largest dome in college football, we may be playing right now in the nicest indoor football stadium in all of college football. The football team is fine with where they're at right now. Basketball first.

bisonaudit
09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
We are at 3 straight sell outs for football with a likely fourth for UC Davis. Within five years time, we may be looking at a situation where season tickets are sold out before the season opens. Then what?

Charge more money.

Herd
09-18-2007, 11:09 PM
It's all about priorities. A new basketball facility is needed last week. Not today, not yesterday, last week. Let's worry about Dome upgrades for football after we take care of the basketball situation first, and most importantly, do it RIGHT. That means make it an NDSU facility, not another thing with blue and red seats. Green and yellow seats and Bison logos everywhere. If NDSU ends up paying for 2/3rds of the place, NDSU should be able to say what decoration goes into the place. Let's just worry about the basketball arena. One thing at a time.

While we don't play in the largest dome in college football, we may be playing right now in the nicest indoor football stadium in all of college football. The football team is fine with where they're at right now. Basketball first.

100% agree, need the BB arena last week! Basketball is the priority right now, football is in good shape for the next 5 years without doing much except putting in field turf. NDSU basketball is poised to average 5000-6000 fans/game and be a major revenue generator if something happens quick. We've got to get something done. If a BB arena project does not move forward quickly, our recruiting and team will start to regress. Something needs to get done before our current JR class leaves NDSU . . . building off their momentum.

99Bison
09-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Guess all responses sum it up IMO also... BB it is, now!

AKBison
09-19-2007, 12:51 AM
100% agree, need the BB arena last week! Basketball is the priority right now, football is in good shape for the next 5 years without doing much except putting in field turf. NDSU basketball is poised to average 5000-6000 fans/game and be a major revenue generator if something happens quick. We've got to get something done. If a BB arena project does not move forward quickly, our recruiting and team will start to regress. Something needs to get done before our current JR class leaves NDSU . . . building off their momentum.

Herd, I do agree with the fact that we must strike and take advantage of the Basketball momentum we have. If building onto the Dome helps to maintain that momentum then that is what we do. I am just worried about the future capabilities of the Dome.

KC_Hats
09-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Did you notice that Bomar commented that the FargoDome was more like a basketball arena with the flat roof and the steep seating. Interesting.

buffalobilljr
09-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Sellouts out a continous basis, some minor modification with minimal added seating to possibly 20,000, modest but additonal revenue from higher ticket prices will allow us to have some longer term planning for a larger retractable dome stadium. WOW even lakesbison didn't think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herd
09-19-2007, 03:04 AM
If I was a kid from any small town in ND (like Kildeer for instance) and had DI offers all over the place, what would make me want to commit to NDSU?

A solid nucleus of players, and good coaching staff, and plans for a new 8000 seat arena opening up on 2010, that's what! If some new arena plan could become reality, the sky is the limit for NDSU.

Yes, I would rather see it be an NDSU owned arena, but I'd settle for FFD expansion.

sambini
09-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Sellouts out a continous basis, some minor modification with minimal added seating to possibly 20,000, modest but additonal revenue from higher ticket prices will allow us to have some longer term planning for a larger retractable dome stadium. WOW even lakesbison didn't think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think I know where you would like it built Wildbilljr? We do have time...

sambini
09-19-2007, 04:56 AM
I agree we need the FD expansion. Lets hope the mayor can get it through.

DORMIE
09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the Athletic Department is very close to a major doner to cover the Fieldhouse expansion. Walaker also told me recently that they will be doing an economic development impact study on the Dome expansion project. Looks like both projects are moving foreward. We could end up with the ultimate package. To have both facilities, you would have one for practice, lockers etc and one for games. The McLeod Center at UNI is what we need.

buffalobilljr
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Sounds like the Athletic Department is very close to a major doner to cover the Fieldhouse expansion. Walaker also told me recently that they will be doing an economic development impact study on the Dome expansion project. Looks like both projects are moving foreward. We could end up with the ultimate package. To have both facilities, you would have one for practice, lockers etc and one for games. The McLeod Center at UNI is what we need.DORMIE!!
DORMIE!! DORMIE!!

tony
09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Hehe, all this time I thought that selling 19000+ for every football game before the season started was a dream scenario - now it's a bad thing?

Time to throw some love toward the basketball team. The FargoDome has had a LOT of improvements: video boards, a Dr. Evil style HQ for football, etc.

If NDSU and Fargo can agree on a BB arena, I say we jump on it with both feet. The money NDSU would save could pay for field turf about 20 times over.

bisonmike2
09-19-2007, 03:08 PM
an 8000 seat bball arena attached to a 19000 seat football staduim would make it THE premier sporting/entertainment venue in the region and one hell of a recruiting tool.

sambini
09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Sounds like the Athletic Department is very close to a major doner to cover the Fieldhouse expansion. Walaker also told me recently that they will be doing an economic development impact study on the Dome expansion project. Looks like both projects are moving foreward. We could end up with the ultimate package. To have both facilities, you would have one for practice, lockers etc and one for games. The McLeod Center at UNI is what we need. Great news Dormie thanks++

bisonaudit
09-19-2007, 05:50 PM
The McLeod Center at UNI is what we need.

Except not as ugly. With that exterior it's better suited to sit next to the Hilarious Center.

BisBison
09-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Sounds like the Athletic Department is very close to a major doner to cover the Fieldhouse expansion. Walaker also told me recently that they will be doing an economic development impact study on the Dome expansion project. Looks like both projects are moving foreward. We could end up with the ultimate package. To have both facilities, you would have one for practice, lockers etc and one for games. The McLeod Center at UNI is what we need.

Dormie, that's great news. Let's talk at homecoming. :nod: I need to bend your ear.

Bison_Pride
11-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Missouri State of the Missouri Valley conference is building this thing:

http://www.missouristate.edu/arena/default.aspx

Say's it'll hold 11,000. Looks very nice to me. I wish we could see some renderings for the Fargodome idea other than a seating layout.

bisonmike2
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I want that for NDSU! That thing looks sweet. I too wish they have some renderings of the inside of the fargodome expansion. I might be in the minority here but I think 11K would be too big for us at this point.

Bison Dan
11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Missouri State of the Missouri Valley conference is building this thing:

http://www.missouristate.edu/arena/default.aspx

Say's it'll hold 11,000. Looks very nice to me. I wish we could see some renderings for the Fargodome idea other than a seating layout.

It'll be a waste for bb. They'll be playing to a more than half empty arena every game.

roper1313
11-07-2007, 02:55 PM
There are some bigtime facilities in the MVC. MVC is one of the top confrences when it comes to hoops facilities.

BigBison
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
11,000 is to big for us, but 6,000 is wwaaayyy to small. I say 8,000 for the FFDA. The Basketball program will be growing over the next 5 years, a 6,000 seat area is OK NOW but 5-6 years down the road I dont think it will be.