PDA

View Full Version : Senior Leadership....

GetSerious
09-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Who are going to be the captains next year....I say it should be Mossey....Oh wait he left the program....And he was captain as a freshman too!!! Good call!!!! Or we could just hand the reigns over to Gavin Hofer and Ryan Langlais and watch them blossom into leaders....I would also consider throwing Bushland in with this group simply because he throws the most awesome parties ever!!!

bisonpride2k
09-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Who are going to be the captains next year....I say it should be Mossey....Oh wait he left the program....And he was captain as a freshman too!!! Good call!!!! Or we could just hand the reigns over to Gavin Hofer and Ryan Langlais and watch them blossom into leaders....I would also consider throwing Bushland in with this group simply because he throws the most awesome parties ever!!!

First of all, that last sentence has NO business on this message board. Second of all, the baseball program has never designated captains or voted on captains or had captains appointed by the coaching staff. True team captains develop from their own leadership abilities. If a freshman (who happens to be the short stop which is considered the captain of the infield anyway) steps up to be the vocal leader of the team, then whats wrong with that. Steve Walker has been the team leader since he steped on the field as a freshman and the same can be said for Ben Woodside. Those guys were never appointed ahead of time by their coaches as captains or leaders. Their play and competative makeup made them leaders on their own.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-18-2007, 01:27 PM
How about Kole Zimmerman? (yep, according to the roster for next year, he will be back for year #6). Langlais, Hofer, okay I can live with that. If you need Shane Bushland to give you senior leadership you are in deep trouble.

boss
09-21-2007, 06:58 PM
the program will never be able to recover from losing Greg Plecki.

GetSerious
09-23-2007, 03:51 AM
You hit it right on the head Boss man....And bisonpride get your facts straight before you start spouting off at the mouth....Get a clue my firend!!!! Mossey was named the captain by the coach along with kole zimmerman....And that did not go over very well at all with a big group of the team!!!! He was named the captain before playing a single game....If that is perfectly fine with you then great but it wasn't with other people in the program... Just ask a couple honest people from the last 2-3 years!!!!

jeffdaryl3rd
09-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Mossey was a fit as "captain", coach selected or otherwise because he was not only one of the best players on the team he actually played with some fire and seeemed to care about the crappy on field performance of the team as a whole. Having said that, I would really hate to see what this program looked like the last 3 years without Kole Zimmerman. It would not be pretty.

GetSerious
09-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Wags guess what....Kole Zimmerman could care less about this stuff so you do not have to hang from his sac!!!! I have a problem with giving a Freshman who has not stepped on the field a captain spot when you have players like Chuck Magz, Matt Erzar, Terry "lil cuzin' Tchida, and last but not least one of the toughest players to ever suit up in a Bison jersey in Nate "the great" Thomas.....Wags you are a smart kid and you know for a fact that naming Mossey a captain tore that team up!!!!!

jeffdaryl3rd
09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I think what tore that team up was the inability of our pitchers to throw strikes, our fielders to catch the ball, and all but a few of our hitters to have anything close to consistent at bats. Mossey was the best player on that team and to suggest that he was one of the problems that year is ridiculous. By the way, I don't remember naming captains at any point during my time in the program.

GetSerious
09-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Wags you are lost my friend....Mitch strolled out and named Mossey and Zimmerman captains by the coaches in practice....Now did that mess up people's pitching and hitting....probably not!!! But team chemistry can take you along way and naming a sophmore and freshman as the captains of a pretty senior laden team is not a strong move IMO....Look at the NCC champs and tell me that team did not have a strong group of senior leaders who led a team to a fairly successful season.....Stop checkin' out pics of Lambert and start checkin' some of the facts!!!!

bisonpride2k
09-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Wags you are lost my friend....Mitch strolled out and named Mossey and Zimmerman captains by the coaches in practice....Now did that mess up people's pitching and hitting....probably not!!! But team chemistry can take you along way and naming a sophmore and freshman as the captains of a pretty senior laden team is not a strong move IMO....Look at the NCC champs and tell me that team did not have a strong group of senior leaders who led a team to a fairly successful season.....Stop checkin' out pics of Lambert and start checkin' some of the facts!!!!

FALSE! Mossey and Zimmerman were NEVER named captains of the team! That is a FACT! In 2004, there was NEVER a captain named for that team. BOSS and Piepkorn were the vocal captains but were never ever named as "captains". Captains were never appointed by the coaches as that was McLeod's philosophy to allow the true leaders of the team to emerge and to allow several guys on the team the ability to step up and either lead by example or vocally. As far as the 05' team being senior laden?? What are you talking about? Tchida, Thomas, Erickson, Ford, and Goltz. Since when does 5 seniors on a baseball team make it senior laden? Then to supposedly name "captains" among that group. Tchida (possible but not very outspoken), Thomas (never played til senior year and never talked ever, but damn could he get his uni dirty in BP), Erickson (wasnt even with the team until the last semester), Ford (relief pitchers usually arent captains), Goltz (quiet guy that went about his business). Thus another reason why captains were never named!

FACT-The program will never be able to recover without Greg Plecki.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-25-2007, 11:51 AM
You can say what you want about team chemistry, our problem on that team was on-field performance. Not to mention the fact that regardless of whether he was named a team captain (he wasn't) Mossey was one of the few vocal leaders on that team. Bottom line here is that I don't see what the point of ripping on Mossey (one of our best players the last three years) or Mitch (winningest coach in the program's history) accomplishes. And while the 2004 team did have outstanding leadership, it also had Piepkorn, Baso and company raking the whole year and consistent starting pitching which is probably the most important difference.

GetSerious
09-26-2007, 02:17 AM
First of all wags no one was ripping on Mossey at all so get off your rocker.... Mossey and Zimmerman were named the captains of the team and I promise you this because I specifcally remember the time Mitch addressed the team....It was in the locker room and I remember joking with Fruit about why he was not named captain!!!! I have never once bad mouthed Mitch or Mossey all I said is that naming a Freshman the captain of a team with 5 seniors and several juniors who have served there time in the program is not a good move IMO..... Named captains on a team are not always the true captains of your team and I think we both know this!!!! Mossey might have been a vocal leader and a leader by example but putting a guy like Nate Thomas or Chuck Magz as a captain is more fitting in IMO.....Nate Thomas and Chuck Magz were both class acts and someone a freshman could sure learn alot from!!!! Both of those two individuals were dedicated to a program....Fought through the hard times and stuck it out....unlike others!!!

bisonpride2k
09-26-2007, 05:21 AM
I think you are confused or missheard something or missunderstood something because there was never a meeting where captains were named. There was a time that is was stated that all defensive plays and adjustments would go through mossey and zimmerman and there was also a time that some people then mistook that as those two being named captains because the calls or positioning went through them. However no one has ever been named captains. Do you seriously think that he would "name" a freshman a captain only one year after having two of the best players he has ever had in the program in Baso and Piepkorn who were both 4 year starters just graduate, never ever being named captains. Must have heard something incorrect because there were never captains named.

I sense something behind the "unlike others" part. Yes Nate and Chuck are class acts, but how can you name someone a captain as a senior when they didnt even play more then about 2 games the year before and werent even on the tournament roster the year before and going into the season were at best a platoon player and to top it off almost never talked. Chuck could be considerd close but he is another reserved guy that doesnt have much to say as well. As a captain you need to have someone that is not afraid to stand up and say something to anyone who is not getting the job done. Nate would never do that and neither would Chuck. Mossey could and did and it is probably the reason why there are some guys that did not get along with him.

jeffdaryl3rd
09-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Not to mention the fact that among the younger players that year, which we had a lot of, we basically had two guys (Mossey and Laber) who didn't simply accept the fact that we were losing all the time and took it personally. Mossey hated losing, took it personally and rode guys asses when they weren't doing their jobs, at least among the younger guys (he was afterall only a freshmen). Mossey was (and is) a heck of a player, will be sorely missed and this whole discussion is totally absurd.

GetSerious
09-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Your absurd because your hanging from Mossey's nuts like a piece of meat hangs from a rack......Mossey was and still is a good ball player but he by no means was the savior of Bison Baseball....For you to come on here and talk about a guy who worked his butt off to become a solid player like Nate Thomas is what is absurd....You got some big balls my friend!!!!! I wish there were a lot more people like Nate Thomas that did the right thing on and off the field....Your a pretty arogant person to come on here and downgrade people because you were given a gift to throw a baseball hard....Nate Thomas is a great human being and I know there are alot of people out there that will back me on this one!!!!

jeffdaryl3rd
09-27-2007, 02:25 AM
I think that during a discussion of who was or was not a captain and the reasons for such, that mentioning guys who played on the team under review is well within the realm of acceptable. I loved playing with Nate and I'll agree that I would love to have ten guys like him on any team, but I don't see anything posted on here that is objectionable to me. Nate was a great program guy at NDSU, but wasn't real vocal. So what? he was still a great part of Bison Baseball while he was here. That is all that was said and anyone who played with him would agree. The personal comments I can't account for, and don't care to try.

bisonball
09-27-2007, 03:53 AM
All I have to say to all of this is "Daddy... I'm not fat, I'm not."
Miss you Gregory and good luck Wags.

boss
09-27-2007, 10:09 PM
The only thing relating to captain in our time came in a bottle.

That was a huge transition from 04 to 05 when the team wasn't left with a lot of experience. From what I heard nobody really hung out with each other and that is going to kill a club. You have to have some personal relationships with your teammates or who the hell are you going to trust to back you up on the field?

Time to move on and hopefully the program can start winning again.

GetSerious
09-28-2007, 04:00 AM
I am all for Boss as the coach....This dude is knows what he is talking about!!!! The NCC CHamps were like a big family and did everything together!!!! Last year was similar to that and I hope it will be in the future.....Thats what I think college athletics is really all about!!!! Bison have fun cuz when its over it really sucks!!!!

sambini
10-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Seniors lead us this year and give em Hell+++

Overgrown
10-08-2007, 05:07 AM
Granite i wasnt here mosseys first year, but if i was that would piss me off to have a freshman come even if hes the best kid on the team and be named a captain, or to even have him think hes a captain. you gotta know your place, whats the kid know about the program or any of the players on the team, and the thing with Nate, know him for a long time, and i wish i had half the work ethic that kid had. I remember the summertimes when i was younger durring his lunch breaks at the HS ball field his mom would come in and hit him fungos, she hits a mean fungo! i would definately take advice from a senior bench warmer with a mean work ethic then a more talented freshman strait from HS, he knows the program and players on a personal basis.

J-smooth
10-19-2007, 10:30 PM
I was on the team in '05, and I can 100% confirm that Mitch announced Mossey and Kole as captains... I actually told Mitch if we were going to have captains, he should have let the team decide on who it was. In my mind, and most everyone else's, Nate, Chuck, & Erzar were the logical candidates. As it was, nobody had an issue with Kole, but Mitch putting a freshman up on a pedestal didn't go over well with most of the team. If he emerges as the leader on his own, fine... but don't force it. For you guys who didn't hear it, I'm not sure where you were at the time... everyone was shocked and a little befuddled at Mitch's announcement...

jeffdaryl3rd
10-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Well, since I have now heard if from so many places I guess I have to admit that Mitch probably did officially name captains in 2005, but I can't say I remember it. Or maybe it is that I was there, but didn't take having a freshman for a captain that seriously throughout the year and just never really paid much attention to that fact. Either way I'm not sure it has much relevance to this year's team, which is what this thread started out about. Alot of the guys on this team that are seniors have been filling key roles since they were true freshman, so they have experience and hopefully that turns into a nice mix of leadership and production and some wins this year.

TheDoctor
11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
You hit it right on the head Boss man....And bisonpride get your facts straight before you start spouting off at the mouth....Get a clue my firend!!!! Mossey was named the captain by the coach along with kole zimmerman....And that did not go over very well at all with a big group of the team!!!! He was named the captain before playing a single game....If that is perfectly fine with you then great but it wasn't with other people in the program... Just ask a couple honest people from the last 2-3 years!!!!

Hit what on the head??? That the program will never recover from the loss of Greg Plecki???? Get back to student teaching and behave yourself! ;)

SlickVic
11-26-2007, 11:20 PM
i can 100 percent confirm the program will lack leadership with or without greg plecki...now getserious and get back to student teaching!!! some of your statements have NO buisness being on this board...peace PL.

fargocyclone
11-27-2007, 03:01 AM
i can 100 percent confirm the program will lack leadership with or without greg plecki...now getserious and get back to student teaching!!! some of your statements have NO buisness being on this board...peace PL.

56Bison73, why are you posting under SlickVic's name? ;)

SlickVic
11-27-2007, 03:55 AM
56Bison73, why are you posting under SlickVic's name? ;)

pizza pizza PL.

GetSerious
11-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks Wags.....Man it's hard being right all the time!!!!! Get off my case Student Teaching is more of a joke then 's workouts!!!!! GET SERIOUS!!!!

jeffdaryl3rd
11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't think it is physically possible to be a bigger joke than Kim/her workouts.

TheDoctor
11-29-2007, 05:18 AM
Thanks Wags.....Man it's hard being right all the time!!!!! Get off my case Student Teaching is more of a joke then 's workouts!!!!! GET SERIOUS!!!!

I'll be sure to let Kim Overton know what a joke you think student teaching is! :D Are you coming back to visit us when your done at the end of the week?????? ;)

GetSerious
11-30-2007, 03:17 AM
A joke as in how much NDSU prepared me to be a PE teacher.....You mean go back up to the cold weather and leaving 80......Nah I think I am fine right here for now!!! I want to visit sometime when it's warmer!!!!!

TheDoctor
11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
OUCH! That hurt. Well, stop by and say hi when you do come back. ;)

GetSerious
12-03-2007, 01:17 AM
You took that one wrong my sir! I was saying that NDSU prepared me to well!!! I could have just walked in without the student teaching expereience....You guys know your great at what you do!!!!

TheDoctor
12-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Thanks buddy, I appreciate the positive feedback. You were always one of my favorites Pleck. You did great work, always participated and you were very respectful! Good luck down there and please stop in and say hi when your back sometime. ;)

Bison101
12-14-2007, 11:13 PM

Definitley should be Hofer.

jeffdaryl3rd
12-19-2007, 02:00 AM
For those unaware...

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1329610

d3boys
12-19-2007, 08:12 PM
pretty good decision, I think Laber is a very high quality pitcher and should lead this team well

aces1180
12-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I worked umpired quite a few of his games when he was with Fargo North and Post 2...He was always respectful of calls on the field.

I loved working behind the dish when he threw because he was always in the strike zone...Good choice for the Herd.