PDA

View Full Version : Buning out at UND

NDSU1980
09-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Looks like Buning is out of a job at UND. Maybe they can rehire Roger Thomas to lead them into the D1 promised land. LOL.

MinotBison
09-16-2007, 04:37 AM
Looks like Buning is out of a job at UND. Maybe they can rehire Roger Thomas to lead them into the D1 promised land. LOL.

For those (like myself) that haven't followed things up there that closely, what were the circumstances that led to this?

bincitysioux
09-16-2007, 04:51 AM
For those (like myself) that haven't followed things up there that closely, what were the circumstances that led to this?

Rumor has it that he is not well liked by several high profile UND coaches (namely Hakstol and Lennon) which some think is why Lennon considered the Montana St. job. He is also rumored to NOT be in the good graces of some influential alumni who don't approve of the way he's handled some coaching hires and staff changes.

DIBISON
09-16-2007, 05:08 AM
Who??????????

Bison Dan
09-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I wonder what his buy out will be? Lots of problems in Sioux land.

NDSU1980
09-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Who??????????

Buning is the AD at UND. Apparently he was never well received there.

WYOBISONMAN
09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Bunning seemed like a decent guy after the idiot with two first names.......I am surprised he failed.......

bincitysioux
09-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Bunning seemed like a decent guy after the idiot with two first names.......I am surprised he failed.......

I have been a supporter of Buning, basically because of his enthusiasm for moving to DI (contrary to RT's position), and his ability to get the athletic budget in the black for the first time in several years. Apparently some of the decisions he made in order to balance the budget were not popular among coaches and alumni.

Bison Dan
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
The ghost of Ralph adds another to his belt - this makes 2 AD's and 1 president. The Sioux are living proof of the phase - "Money talks and BS walks" It looks like the Sioux alumni are always going to control the athletic dept.

Shawn-O
09-16-2007, 06:18 PM
The ghost of Ralph adds another to his belt - this makes 2 AD's and 1 president. The Sioux are living proof of the phase - "Money talks and BS walks" It looks like the Sioux alumni are always going to control the athletic dept.

Yeah, and the teammakers don't have any say in how Taylor conducts business. :rolleyes: Have another one. :bong:

sambini
09-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Shawn-o we don,t. I would know as would Wacker in the Hall.Don't try and pass the buck.

cbline
09-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Shawn-o, you need to give us examples of Team Maker controlling Gene Taylor, not just accusations.

sambini
09-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Teammakers raises money for scholarships and thats it. Pretty cut and dry.

Shawn-O
09-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Teammakers raises money for scholarships and thats it. Pretty cut and dry.

Williams says there was a $8M fund to improve BSA? Doesn't sound that cut and dried to me.

roadwarrior
09-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Williams says there was a $8M fund to improve BSA? Doesn't sound that cut and dried to me.

That fund drive was not done by Teammakers.

Shawn-O
09-16-2007, 09:52 PM
That fund drive was not done by Teammakers.

http://www.areavoices.com/our%20rights/?blog=7282

The Bison teammakers have already come up with over $8 million of private funds for an arena.

Thanks. Might wanna make sure Mike knows that, too.

EDIT: New arena versus BSA upgrade, my bad. My point responding to Sambini's "schollies only" arguement stands.

roadwarrior
09-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Mike might not be too sure what is done by Teammakers and what money is raised by NDSU itself. He probably just made an error when he wrote that. The $8M for the BSA was part of the NDSU Development Foundation's $75M Momentum fundraising campaign.

Bison Dan
09-16-2007, 11:27 PM

EDIT: New arena versus BSA upgrade, my bad. My point responding to Sambini's "schollies only" arguement stands.

Williams is an idoit - and who cares what he believes. The BSA upgrade is something that isn't a part of any Teammaker function.

Shawn-O
09-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Mike might not be too sure what is done by Teammakers and what money is raised by NDSU itself. He probably just made an error when he wrote that. The $8M for the BSA was part of the NDSU Development Foundation's $75M Momentum fundraising campaign.

Sounds good.

Williams is an idoit - and who cares what he believes. The BSA upgrade is something that isn't a part of any Teammaker function.

Carry on with the "Englestad Foundation is evil" rhetoric.

bincitysioux
09-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Unless NDSU is very different from every other university in the U.S.A., the Teammakers have a very loud voice in how things are handled in the NDSU athletic dept. If you really think that Taylor's and Chapman's ears aren't wide open when Burgum, Tharaldson, or Ingstad (among hundreds of others) speak, you are foolish.

If someone were a back-up running back for NDSU 50 years ago, ended up making billions of dollars, and then offered some to NDSU, would you expect NDSU to say no?

If the Teammakers don't have any input into what goes on, where does the money come from? NDSU's Forensic Accounting graduates?

KC_Hats
09-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Team Makers are average everyday fans giving money. We receive a tax break and preference for seats in games. I give money and don't have any influence on what Gene Taylor or any other NDSU administrator does.

Bison Dan
09-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Unless NDSU is very different from every other university in the U.S.A., the Teammakers have a very loud voice in how things are handled in the NDSU athletic dept. If you really think that Taylor's and Chapman's ears aren't wide open when Burgum, Tharaldson, or Ingstad (among hundreds of others) speak, you are foolish.

If someone were a back-up running back for NDSU 50 years ago, ended up making billions of dollars, and then offered some to NDSU, would you expect NDSU to say no?

If the Teammakers don't have any input into what goes on, where does the money come from? NDSU's Forensic Accounting graduates?

Oh I don't think for a second that some of the big hitters (givers) get their voices heard more than others, they just don't run things. If your honest with yourselves it's nice to have a Englestad or two but you can't deny they have way too much influence on the athletic dept. At least 1 president and 2 AD's? (Maybe 2 presidents and 3 AD's) As a Sioux fan there's no way you can think this is a good thing.

tony
09-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I've never for one moment doubted that Joe Chapman runs NDSU and gives the primary direction to the athletic department. He knows what NDSU needs to do and he gets it done - and nobody gets in his way. Sure, people have tried, but Chapman is about as easy to bring to heel as Teddy Roosevelt. Gene Taylor runs the athletic department either, implementing NDSU's vision, not anybody elses.

On the other hand, President Kupchella has no control over UND's athletic department. Every time he has stuck his nose in, he's been publicly humiliated. The hockey arena folks and the old boys network that view UND as their private country club do not like outsiders messing with their things. That's why Buning is going (and not being a complete tool about NDSU was his first "mistake.")

BISON Thunder
09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I've never for one moment doubted that Joe Chapman runs NDSU and gives the primary direction to the athletic department. He knows what NDSU needs to do and he gets it done - and nobody gets in his way. Sure, people have tried, but Chapman is about as easy to bring to heel as Teddy Roosevelt. Gene Taylor runs the athletic department either, implementing NDSU's vision, not anybody elses.

On the other hand, President Kupchella has no control over UND's athletic department. Every time he has stuck his nose in, he's been publicly humiliated. The hockey arena folks and the old boys network that view UND as their private country club do not like outsiders messing with their things. That's why Buning is going (and not being a complete tool about NDSU was his first "mistake.")

Great post, Tony. I have a brother who graduated from und (dropped on his head when he was a child) and now lives and works in Fargo. He has discontinued contributing financially to und because of this "insiders club" they have. In three of four years, I may even get him to a Bison game.

Bison Dan
09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Great post, Tony. I have a brother who graduated from und (dropped on his head when he was a child) and now lives and works in Fargo. He has discontinued contributing financially to und because of this "insiders club" they have. In three of four years, I may even get him to a Bison game.

That's exactly why they want to bring back Rob Bollinger.

Bison bison
09-17-2007, 03:05 PM
and his ability to get the athletic budget in the black for the first time in several years.

what year was that?

sambini
09-17-2007, 05:20 PM
BincitySioux are donors are listed in the back of our programs. Biggest donors are circle members who give a full ride every year. Teammakers is run by an executive board of 9 members. We do not dictate to NDSU ,WE RAISE MONEY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS. OUR VOLUNTEERS WORK THERE ASS OFF TO RAISE MONEY.

Trim
09-17-2007, 05:45 PM
If Hammer says "Winds of change" one more time about this issue, I may lose my mind.

Shawn-O
09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
BincitySioux are donors are listed in the back of our programs. Biggest donors are circle members who give a full ride every year. Teammakers is run by an executive board of 9 members. We do not dictate to NDSU ,WE RAISE MONEY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS. OUR VOLUNTEERS WORK THERE ASS OFF TO RAISE MONEY.

Relax, no one's questioning the good work you guys are doing. No need to holler.

DORMIE
09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Shawn-O...I was talking to a friend of mine, A UND grad. Saturday night after the game at the Ground Round. He is the one that mentioned the problem that Buning was having. He said that his focus was too much on athletic administration than to supporting the strength prgram etc.. This is not good timing for UND as there are too many other issues to focus on. Hopefully things will work out for you. Going outside the box and hiring Buning was the right thing. You can get too much of the good old boy system. Even with Bollinger you wouldn't have changed much.

Shawn-O
09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Shawn-O...I was talking to a friend of mine, A UND grad. Saturday night after the game at the Ground Round. He is the one that mentioned the problem that Buning was having. He said that his focus was too much on athletic administration than to supporting the strength prgram etc.. This is not good timing for UND as there are too many other issues to focus on. Hopefully things will work out for you. Going outside the box and hiring Buning was the right thing. You can get too much of the good old boy system. Even with Bollinger you wouldn't have changed much.

We need strong leadership at the top, a person with Tom Clifford-like characteristics. I'm not going to sit here and whistle zippidy-do-dah, that's for sure. There are challenges here that need fixing, and I'm sure it looks like a cluster-%^&* from the outside looking in, because it is.

bisonmike2
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
the Forum is reporting that Buning is taking a leave of absence. Is this a precursor to him getting sh!tcanned?

BisBison
09-17-2007, 11:28 PM

Shawn-O the $$ raised for the BSA upgrade were not raised by the Teammakers. They were included in the soon to be finished Momentum campaign which had an original goal of $75MM and included $8MM for BSA improvements. This project is being operated by the NDSU Development Foundation and will wrap up at this year's homecoming.

bincitysioux
09-17-2007, 11:30 PM

I know, that's the same thing the Fighting Sioux Club does. But do you think that Circle members are restricted to only give as much as a full scholarship costs? I'll bet there are some who give a lot more. And I'll bet that Gene Taylor or Joe Chapman are more likely to return a call or email from a "Circle" member than they are from a "Booster" member.

I'm not saying that the Team Makers dictate to NDSU, I'm just saying that some of the higher level members (or a donor of any kind) perhaps have a little more "access". That's pretty common, and I doubt that NDSU is any different from most universities in that regard.

BisBison
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I know, that's the same thing the Fighting Sioux Club does. But do you think that Circle members are restricted to only give as much as a full scholarship costs? I'll bet there are some who give a lot more. And I'll bet that Gene Taylor or Joe Chapman are more likely to return a call or email from a "Circle" member than they are from a "Booster" member.

I'm not saying that the Team Makers dictate to NDSU, I'm just saying that some of the higher level members (or a donor of any kind) perhaps have a little more "access". That's pretty common, and I doubt that NDSU is any different from most universities in that regard.

Fair enough bin, but you must admit there is One entity at your place whose "access" is far and above anything that exists at SU.

Shawn-O
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Shawn-O the $$ raised for the BSA upgrade were not raised by the Teammakers. They were included in the soon to be finished Momentum campaign which had an original goal of $75MM and included $8MM for BSA improvements. This project is being operated by the NDSU Development Foundation and will wrap up at this year's homecoming.

Yes, Mr. Williams misspoke in his blog, and that's now been cleared up by people that would certainly know. Thanks!

bincitysioux
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Fair enough bin, but you must admit there is One entity at your place whose "access" is far and above anything that exists at SU.

Yes, I'd agree with that. But if the shoe were on the other foot?.............

WePharm
09-17-2007, 11:43 PM
I thought AD Bunning brought some level headedness and common sense to the UND program. It seems like he's tried to patch up relations with Gene & Co. They had to balance the budget someplace and sometime and it was up to him to do it. I know a lot of alumni who are mad at his men's basketball coaches selection and the women's hockey coaches selection. If we have to turn back the clock five years.....well, there is going to be even more fighting between the two schools.

One thought, coach Lennon could be who the Sioux are looking for. Make him AD. He's well respected inside & out of the Sioux community. He's got great leadership skills and could provide some vision for the school after looking in it's rear view mirror for the last five years (or forever!)

Bisonguy
09-17-2007, 11:44 PM
bincitysioux or Shawn-O-

What's the logic with some wanting to bring Bollinger into the AD postion? Wouldn't he better serve UND in an associate AD spot, especially in charge of fundraising?

sambini
09-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Wasn't that his position before he left? Dale would be a good choice. If he doesn't want to coach anymore. What is your take on all of this Shawn-O?

MN_BISON
09-18-2007, 02:18 AM
This might be a bit of a stretch, but what about Dean Blais as the new AD up north?

bincitysioux
09-18-2007, 02:26 AM
It seems like he's tried to patch up relations with Gene & Co. They had to balance the budget someplace and sometime and it was up to him to do it. I know a lot of alumni who are mad at his men's basketball coaches

Along with his enthusiasm for DI from the get-go, those are all reasons I have really been in the pro-Buning camp (although I admit have no inside knowledge of his rumored negative relationships with coaches and staff). The coaching hires he's made have been under scrutiny more for the process rather than the candidates who got hired. I have been very impressed with Coach Jones, and our basketball schedule is better this year than any in recent years (by DII standards). I like playing Northern Iowa and SUU better than Crookston or Newberry (common-type RT era opponents), but how much of that is a function of the Head Coach or A.D., I don't know.

What's the logic with some wanting to bring Bollinger into the AD postion? Wouldn't he better serve UND in an associate AD spot, especially in charge of fundraising?

He is viewed as, like several of you here have elluded to, one of UND's good old boys. He is loyal to UND, and from what I understand held in high regard from virtually everyone within UND, and pretty much GF. He's also a proven fundraiser. He was named Associate A.D. immediately after Buning got hired, but it was short-lived. Some think his decision to leave UND after being associated with University for nearly 30 years was because he and Buning did not see eye to eye.

Dale would be a good choice. If he doesn't want to coach anymore.

Coach Lennon probably would make a good A.D., but I'm not ready for him to leave the sidelines yet.

KC_Hats
09-18-2007, 03:19 AM
As for Gene Taylor responding to emails, I am a donor but not a huge donor and he responds to all my emails within a day or two. He is a great guy that enjoys visiting with alumni, fans and others about Bison athletics and NDSU.

Shawn-O
09-18-2007, 03:35 AM
This might be a bit of a stretch, but what about Dean Blais as the new AD up north?

He would HATE-HATE-HATE that job. He wants to keep coaching. An administrative role for him would be a terrible fit.

fightinbison
09-18-2007, 04:20 AM
He would HATE-HATE-HATE that job. He wants to keep coaching. An administrative role for him would be a terrible fit.

You are wrong about this.....

Dean has expressed interest in this job several different times....

TheDoctor
09-18-2007, 04:50 AM

AND he has partial ownership in this deal here in Fargo. ;)

TheDoctor
09-18-2007, 04:51 AM
You are wrong about this.....

Dean has expressed interest in this job several different times....

I also question what qualifies him? He was a head coach of one of their sports? They are D1 now, they can't be just shoving the next Roger Thomas in there. ;)

fightinbison
09-18-2007, 05:15 AM
I also question what qualifies him? He was a head coach of one of their sports? They are D1 now, they can't be just shoving the next Roger Thomas in there. ;)

Roger gets a bad rap, he faced more challenges at AD then anyone at UND, with REA and the Alerus both added during his years.

Dean Blais could raise a ton of money, and right now that is one of the most important aspects of the Div 1 move. You can hire bookeepers to balance your budgets, hire staff to control operations, you need a decision maker, the bottom line is you need to put a face on your Athletic Department one that is trusted and reconizable.

Both Rob Bollinger and Dean Blais would do that and meet the qualifacations needed IMO....

NDSU1980
09-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Roger gets a bad rap, he faced more challenges at AD then anyone at UND, with REA and the Alerus both added during his years.

Dean Blais could raise a ton of money, and right now that is one of the most important aspects of the Div 1 move. You can hire bookeepers to balance your budgets, hire staff to control operations, you need a decision maker, the bottom line is you need to put a face on your Athletic Department one that is trusted and reconizable.

Both Rob Bollinger and Dean Blais would do that and meet the qualifacations needed IMO....

I think Roger Thomas deserves the bad rap he has gotten over the years. He's the one who got UND in the situation they are in regarding no playing NDSU.

RT is the one who wanted to stick it to NDSU, and now the chickens have come home to roost.

DORMIE
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I have to agree with BibCity. Bollinger might be one of the Good Old Boys, however he not only is highly respected in Grand Forks, but also in Fargo. It has been expressed at Petro on Saturday that we would like to have him working for us an NDSU. He just kinkd of got the shaft when they went out and hired Buning. You can say all you want about balancing the budget, but the athletic director has no business doing push ups after touchdowns or doing the tomahawk chop at hockey games. Show a little class like Rob Bollinger would. He might be pretty happy in Bemiji and wouldn't move though.

TransAmBison
09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I think Roger Thomas deserves the bad rap he has gotten over the years. He's the one who got UND in the situation they are in regarding no playing NDSU.

RT is the one who wanted to stick it to NDSU, and now the chickens have come home to roost.
RT got what he deserved in the end...a disbanded conference.

sambini
09-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Hows Rogers son doing? Wasn't he sick?

fightinbison
09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Hows Rogers son doing? Wasn't he sick?

Doing fine, Still competes in Track at UND (Throwing), could not return to football for medical reasons.

DORMIE
09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Read on SS that Josh Morton is the new directof for the Fighting Sioux Club for the UND Foundation. Josh is a former quarterback at UND and son on Don.

Shawn-O
09-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Read on SS that Josh Morton is the new directof for the Fighting Sioux Club for the UND Foundation. Josh is a former quarterback at UND and son on Don.

Well I'll be dipped. I knew he was from Madison, but didn't make that connection.

DORMIE
09-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Shawn-O, you got a good one there. Anyone who will hang in there at second or third string quarterback for four years has to have some good things about him. The family was probably still living in Madison during or after when Don was head coach at UW when he went to UND. He was more of a thrower and fit UND's program. He's been in TV in SC most recently.

sambini
09-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Cograts to Josh he is a great young man.

roadwarrior
09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Acting ADs named today:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=178561

bisoneer
09-19-2007, 12:50 AM
From what I saw he was doing an ok job. Seemed very up on going D1, just too bad RT fd it all up for him, RT should be the one out of a job. Bunny did have a problem with the womens hockey team who have been 0 for 100 but who cares about womens hockey, Id rather watch paint dry.

Shawn-O
09-19-2007, 01:07 AM
If nothing else, he brought the D-I decision across the finish line, and for that I will always say "well done, Mr. Buning".

bisoneer
09-19-2007, 01:26 AM
RT got what he deserved in the end...a disbanded conference.

Oh yea, RT hated Rocky and SU so he took that grudge with him to the AD post at UND2 and was the first to say "we aint playin you bisons ever agin" so he took his ball and went home and we moved on and now are playing big time schools with big time players and makin big time money to bring in big time players, whew what a mouth full. By the way, whats Roger doin after the NCC flops?

buffalobilljr
09-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Oh yea, RT hated Rocky and SU so he took that grudge with him to the AD post at UND2 and was the first to say "we aint playin you bisons ever agin" so he took his ball and went home and we moved on and now are playing big time schools with big time players and makin big time money to bring in big time players, whew what a mouth full. By the way, whats Roger doin after the NCC flops?He is babysitting for Rocky's grandchildren but only on a part-time basis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn-O
09-19-2007, 02:32 AM
He is babysitting for Rocky's grandchildren but only on a part-time basis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He just tosses "Fire and Ice" into the 'ol DVD player, and the kiddos practically take care of themselves! :p :nod:

bincitysioux
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
He just tosses "Fire and Ice" into the 'ol DVD player, and the kiddos practically take care of themselves! :p :nod:

"What the scoreboard doesn't say, is how much I love you".

Shawn-O
09-19-2007, 03:51 PM
"What the scoreboard doesn't say, is how much I love you".

WE'RE KNUCKLEHEADS...FROM UP NORTH!!!! :rofl: :cheers: :bong: :hungry:

sambini
09-19-2007, 04:20 PM
So whats the word up there? Has he left town and a for sale sign in front of his house? They can't work it out. This has to be tough on Bunings family.

roadwarrior
09-19-2007, 05:24 PM
We dont have the full story yet. I wonder how long it will be before we know? In any event, its not good timing for their transition.

Bison Dan
09-19-2007, 05:27 PM
So whats the word up there? Has he left town and a for sale sign in front of his house? They can't work it out. This has to be tough on Bunings family.

I'm sure Buning is holding out for alot of money and then there is the hush money to keep his mouth shut. Some alumni is going to pony up some serious cash. Look at it from Bunings point of view, how is he going to get another job when he was all but fired from und? And for what? Those Army guys just don't know how to kiss ass. To be a AD at und that's a prerequisite.

RedRiver
09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
We dont have the full story yet. I wonder how long it will be before we know? In any event, its not good timing for their transition.

No its not, lame duck President, lame duck AD, and probably more negative PR coming out of the leave of absence situation.

Bisonguy
09-19-2007, 11:22 PM
And now the smoke begins to clear-

From the WDAY news:
Buning's leave of absence was requested by an employee of UND, not Buning himself, as earlier stated from UND.

Tatanka
09-19-2007, 11:57 PM
In the spirit of the situation, shouldn't NDSU hold a press conference tomorrow at 3pm to state that our athletic director is not on a leave of absence, and that we are happy where we're at?

Oh, wait. We're not douchebags...

In other news, when is teh unifersity going to learn that they can't just wave their hand and do the jedi mind trick on the Fargo media like they can with the Herald staff? Don't they understand that the whole situation looks 1000x worse when they try to BS their way through? :smh:

RedRiver
09-20-2007, 12:09 AM
And now the smoke begins to clear-

From the WDAY news:
Buning's leave of absence was requested by an employee of UND, not Buning himself, as earlier stated from UND.

Does that suprise anyone? Who is even going to want to take that job? Just another black eye for UND.

Hammersmith
09-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Bottom of bus, meet Mr. Buning. Mr. Buning, bottom of bus.

UND’s Buning doesn’t receive high marks (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50885&section=News)

Bisonguy
09-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Bottom of bus, meet Mr. Buning. Mr. Buning, bottom of bus.

UND’s Buning doesn’t receive high marks (http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50885&section=News)

It could be worse, it could have been a 2.14 on a scale of 1 to 10. :D

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 01:25 AM
well, I've seen some pretty bad peer reviews before but holy guacamole. sounds like a complete c-f, communication-wise and leadership-wise.

And to the outside world (my view anyway) Buning didn't seem like all that bad a guy. My money's on Hammersmith's theory... under the bus he goes...

Bisonguy
09-20-2007, 01:33 AM
If Hammer says "Winds of change" one more time about this issue, I may lose my mind.

Maybe you would prefer Klaus Meine ? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5muLIq9PqUk)

Trim
09-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Hah! Good ole Klaus. That song kept running through my head when Hammer kept saying that. Those Postdamer Platz images are just like the beginning to Roger Waters - Live in Berlin.

Ok, anyway, back to Tom Buning...

NorthernBison
09-20-2007, 02:13 AM
The WDAZ news had a report at 6:00. It sounded real bad for Buning. What surprised me was how dysfunctional it made UND sound. Good grief. They made it sound like Harmeson flat out lied to them on Monday about the leave of absence (remember this is WDAZ, a Grand Forks station). They got some UND people on record about how leaves are requested and documented and then pointed out how the information they got from the school on this didn't fit those parameters. To top it all off, "Harmeson couldn't be reached for comment". Holy crap Batman, see if you can make a bad situation worse.

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 02:22 AM
What, Harmeson wasn't "out of the country and unavailable for comment" a la Kupchella? Just "couldn't be reached". Hmm. Good for WDAZ showing the man-berries to call bullshit on them though. It's about time.

---

Another random thought: do you think Buning saw the 2.14 coming or was it a complete surprise? If it was a surprise, is that more an indictment of incompetent leadership on his part or does it suggest there was some sort of a lynch mob formed without his knowledge?

My guess: the poor bastard never saw it coming. And it doesn't speak well for his leadership and communication skills.

NDSU1980
09-20-2007, 03:31 AM
This is just the icing on the cake in terms of how UND has operated for years. Everything is deep secret, no accountability, and somehow they want to put the screws to someone with every move. Looks like they are getting what they deserve. Why would anyone want to be the next president of that place?

Scooter1
09-20-2007, 04:40 AM
This is just the icing on the cake in terms of how UND has operated for years. Everything is deep secret, no accountability, and somehow they want to put the screws to someone with every move. Looks like they are getting what they deserve. Why would anyone want to be the next president of that place?

I have to admit that this has been commonplace for the last decade at UND. I read somewhere that RT was being mentioned as a future und fundraising head. Just a thought, but do you think that some of the boosters who are still pro RT were instrumental in throwing Bunning under the bus to make way for the possible return of everyones favorite retard, RT? On a scale of one to twelve, what are your thoughts?

Wait a minute...if they lied about the leave of absense, did anyone bother to ask to see the surveys? Maybe the survey was actually on a scale of 1-4 or 1-5.

BisonCountry
09-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I actually prefer a 1 - 7 scale, but I'll say 0.

tony
09-20-2007, 07:25 AM
You know what this story could use? Some anonymous sources!

Good things:

1. Phil Harmeson proving that butter won't melt in his mouth by not owning up to basically firing the guy and actually having the gall to tell a little fib about it. His new job title: UND Employee.
2. President Kupchella could not only be found but that nobody even seemed to know what continent he was on.

Those are all classic but, dang it, where are my anonymous sources? And where are the concerned legislators who ask all the tough questions that UND wants to answer?

Next up: A hard-hitting editorial from the Grand Forks Herald applauding the action but displaying reservations about the way it was handled. Perhaps they can work in a plea for millions of dollars of funding for a College of Ethics at UND.

NDSU1980
09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I've got to believe that this will hurt recruiting upstate and down river at UND. Would any potential recruit in his right mind even trust someone from UND when they present their pitch? I would say the only thing that has gone right for them in the last year has been Dale Lennon not going to Montana when he could have.

I sure liked McFeely's column in the Forum today. I can't believe it, I'm again agreeing with Mike. I think my computer might explode.

Bison Dan
09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Phil Harmeson has always been the source of trouble between NDSU and UND. He poisons every new President or administrator that UND hires.

roadwarrior
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
McFeely link:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=178679&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Yep, have to admit. McFeely nailed it.

"Someone put a tent over this circus." Classic. :smh:

NorthernBison
09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Kudos to McFeely. He nailed that one. "Someone put a tent over that circus" now that sums things up nicely.

The Ralph Engelstad Bunker thing might be over the top but it is still a little funny too.

Are there any true professionals up there?

Tatanka
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Kudos to McFeely. He nailed that one. "Someone put a tent over that circus" now that sums things up nicely.

The Ralph Engelstad Bunker thing might be over the top but it is still a little funny too.

Professionals at what? Depends on what skill set you're looking for. This whole thing is making the deal with the hockey players at Judy's bar look like a successful practice run.

Apparently the guy who counts students is pretty good...maybe he's the head pro.

sambini
09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Nice job Mike +++++

WYOBISONMAN
09-20-2007, 02:04 PM
The whole damn thing is ugly and wrong. NoDaks ought to be demanding accountability from that circus.

Bison bison
09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
I also don't like the whole mid-year survey thing. Do an evaluation, have open-doors. An anonymous survey is a joke.

Also, if I was Buning I'd be looking for a lawyer to sue the living sh%t out of UND.

They just renewed his contract, unless he did something crazy what are the grounds for his leaving? They could have parted ways amicably on June 30th. Now Buning's career is ruined.

The reason people like Harmeson and Kupchella have jobs and big salaries is to manage things like this.

bisonmike2
09-20-2007, 02:56 PM
McFeely link:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=178679&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely

must...fight the....urge...to agree with .....McFeeley.

I can't disagree with him on this one. He makes alot of good points. I have always thought that UND was run buy a bunch of sneaky/shady bastards. But in the end I chalked that view up to me being a NDSU alum. Looks like others are finally recognizing UND as the evil empire.

UTH
09-20-2007, 05:39 PM

Funny you should mention the secret bunker. By coincidence, I have seen this place. Please allow me to lead you on a short guided tour of the soon-to-be infamous bunker (faces and name tapes have been blotted out to protect the identities of undercover agents)...

This is the hermetically sealed outer door. Welcome...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Titov%20Bunker%20ARK/1Welcome.jpg

This is Agent Q. He will be our guide today. He will lead us to the underbelly...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Titov%20Bunker%20ARK/2YourGuide.jpg

Please stay close to Agent Q. It is easy to get lost in this labyrinth...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Titov%20Bunker%20ARK/3Thisway.jpg

This is the hermetically sealed inner door leading to the Secret Nerve Center...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Titov%20Bunker%20ARK/4Secretroom.jpg

This is a rare look into the Secret Nerve Center where 'they' plot their evil plans...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Titov%20Bunker%20ARK/5SecretNerveCenter.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to the soon-to-be infamous secret bunker. Have a nice day!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Titov%20Bunker%20ARK/6Hopeyouveenjoyedyourtour.jpg

Bison Dan
09-20-2007, 06:12 PM
It looks like the one I was in when I was in London. I think Winston Churchill was there!

UTH
09-20-2007, 06:21 PM
It looks like the one I was in when I was in London. I think Winston Churchill was there!

When not occupied by 'them', this was originally Marshal Tito's Cold War "Army Wartime Command" bunker in southern Bosnia. This one is allegedly capable of withstanding a direct hit from a 30 kiloton bomb. There is precious little info about this one on the internet, even if you can read Serbo-Croatian. This one took 30 about years to build - the guys who designed this one helped Saddam Hussein in constructing his bunkers.

(if anyone thinks the pics are too big, i can change them to links)

Bison bison
09-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Lessons to be learned:

(1) it doesn't matter if you're good at your job, it's all-important to be liked.

(2) it's easier to be a 'yes man' and say 'aw shucks' when you're in the red than to follow a budget and be stern about it.

bisonmike2
09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Lessons to be learned:

(1) it doesn't matter if you're good at your job, it's all-important to be liked.

(2) it's easier to be a 'yes man' and say 'aw shucks' when you're in the red than to follow a budget and be stern about it.

Buning was way to cordial to NDSU. They'll only be happy in Grand Forks if the next guy shows up at the press conference wearing a NDSUcks t-shirt. So, yeah, they'll probably hire Roger Thomas.

imabison
09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Buning was way to cordial to NDSU. They'll only be happy in Grand Forks if the next guy shows up at the press conference wearing a NDSUcks t-shirt. So, yeah, they'll probably hire Roger Thomas.
You mean rehire RT, after they pushed him out before. I doubt very much it would ever happen...

bisonmike2
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
wow there are some ugly comments on the gf herald regarding buning. one guy stating that he's an alcoholic, that's why no one is talking. ridiculous. if I were a fan of or in any way connected to that univeristy I would be embarrased.

DORMIE
09-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't know if he has a drinking problem, but a UND friend of mine said his wife is a real beauty when she gets oiled up. Guess he might have been a little over his head and oversold himself, but they have too many people up there who have all the answers and think that they should be athletic director. Tim O'Keefe- father -in-law of Haxatol and head of the Foundation, Phil Hermeson and former football player who is helping wth the move th D1, Dan Martinson. And Kupojo is in Russia drinking Vodka.

RedRiver
09-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, this is an embarassment to UND. The situation has blown up in their face, from the lie of a top official to the lack of accountability of the administration.

Another huge PR disaster for the school, which only continues a trend of the past few years!!

Tatanka
09-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Has anyone seen or heard a UND supporter actually try to defend/explain this cluster of a situation? Yeah. Silence. Thought so.

http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/crickets/field/MusicMakers.gif

Shawn-O
09-21-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm throwing my hat in the ring for president. If that doesn't pan out, I'm applying for AD. My first act, in either job, will be to revoke Tatanka's hookey privileges. :bow:

Tatanka
09-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Once again, Shawn-O, you have my number...:blush:

Of course, in either position, you'd have to clear any such move with someone at the REA. And I'd hate to retire the green tinsel mullet wig so soon...

Spectator
09-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Two words - George Ehlis (might be spelled wrong).

Bison bison
09-21-2007, 01:43 PM
even worse in this case.

i seriously wonder if UND will spend more fighting and then settling with the ncaa or buning.

a former athletic department employee at ohio state just got $2.4 million dollars yesterday..................

i think tom can stick to his guns and try for at least a cool million. und has destroyed him professionally.

Bison bison
09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like Lennon was upset that he had to live within his budget:

INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETIC
COMMITTEE MEETING
February 20, 2007

Teams that have completed their competitive seasons are close to exhausting their budgets. Football is currently in a mnth to month review.

GF Herald Message Board

/Does anyone watch the UND football show Sunday nights on WDAZ??? Who does this sound like.."At this point in time, I have zero confidence and zero trust in our athletic director. In my opinion, the working environment is becoming worse and is extremely dysfunctional. DUH..???Lennon, says "At this point in time..." about a hundred times on each show. Way to not give yourself away./

Funny that the orders that the department had to operate within the budget and should not expect the university to bail them out came from Kupchella.

Interestingly in the spring of '05 (1) Buning was hired and (2) Phil Harmeson said pool positions, overtime, courtesy cars, complimentary tickets and trade agreements were being looked at. (IAC minutes 5/5/5).

I had seen (I think on ss.com) that Buning was brought in to make tough decisions (telling coaches to live within their means) something which wouldn't be taken well so much so that keeping the position would be near impossible. I thought the hypothesis was a little out there, but the facts seem to point in that direction.

I just don't see how in the heck you can fire someone mid-contract without something crazy going on. IMO disgruntled subordinates don't cut it.

NDSU1980
09-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm having trouble keeping track of all the people who come and go down river from us. Was Terry Wanless (sp) in between Roger Thomas and Buning?

UTH
09-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm having trouble keeping track of all the people who come and go down river from us. Was Terry Wanless (sp) in between Roger Thomas and Buning?

I think TW was before RT. And what about Kendall Baker? He had his fair share of problems. I remember students gathering and marching in his support when he was having a showdown with (I think) the Board of Higher Ed. It was almost comical - had the feel of a 1960s protest. UND's tendency toward controversy spans decades.

BisBison
09-22-2007, 03:53 AM
and he speaks http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=178842

maybe this is why he is on a "leave of absence" he speaks the truth, something they aren't used to hearing up there.

Tatanka
09-22-2007, 04:00 AM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/jonescru/blazing_saddles/blazing16.gif

Shawn-O
09-22-2007, 04:26 AM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb101/jonescru/blazing_saddles/blazing16.gif

Don't make me dig out the krytonite again!!! Kidding. I don't blame anyone for seeing it for the fiasco that it is. This presidential search is huge.

DIBISON
09-22-2007, 05:36 AM
and he speaks http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=178842

maybe this is why he is on a "leave of absence" he speaks the truth, something they aren't used to hearing up there.

They still haven't released their finacial plan for the DI transition. I suppose Harmeson doesn't want the public to know the truth!!!!!!!!!

NDSU1980
09-22-2007, 11:42 AM
If UND was a million in debt back in 2005, how the heck do they think they are going to find the bucks to go D1? Every UND doctor and lawyer is going to have to raise his fee's by $10 an hour just to pony up enough cash to make this work. I really have to wonder if there was ever any long range planning done before they moved up. Maybe Roger Thomas was right about UND staying where they were.

Tatanka
09-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Don't make me dig out the krytonite again!!! Kidding. I don't blame anyone for seeing it for the fiasco that it is. This presidential search is huge.
Absolutely agree with you. And just to be sure, I've already taken my anti-kryptonite pill this morning.:nod:

Tatanka
09-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Finally, some video footage from ground zero:

Harmeson responds to Buning comments. (http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=23494416)

Buning responds to Harmeson. (http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=23494435)

UND Administration official explains enrollment count. (http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=23494519)

Yo
09-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Finally, some video footage from ground zero:

Harmeson responds to Buning comments. (http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=23494416)

Buning responds to Harmeson. (http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=23494435)

UND Administration official explains enrollment count. (http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=23494519)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BisonBabe
09-23-2007, 10:56 PM
You must spread Reputation around before giving to Tatanka again.

Bison bison
09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
If UND was a million in debt back in 2005, how the heck do they think they are going to find the bucks to go D1? Every UND doctor and lawyer is going to have to raise his fee's by $10 an hour just to pony up enough cash to make this work. I really have to wonder if there was ever any long range planning done before they moved up. Maybe Roger Thomas was right about UND staying where they were.

ain't that the question.

Lennon is pissed because he thinks his program was getting shorted. Well how about losing 2 FTEs in a small athletic department.

For once I think that Lennon is part of the problem.

I've said this elsewhere.

UND needs $500k to make up for its previous staff cuts. Another $500k to add staff needed for a DI program. $1 million for schollies. $1 million probably 2 for operations. At least $2.5 million to do it bare bones. Double that to do it well.

The $100/student fee is a problem too if enrollment continues to decline at 5% per year!

Tatanka
09-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Did some snooping last night at the NHL pre-season game (Minnesota Mild v Buffalo Sabres at teh Ralph) and the inside scoop from the hoity-toits in teh luxury suite is that a negotiation is underway for a buyout.

Not surprising how Kupchella this morning ducked questions like a prize fighter, wouldn't go on camera, but did cite privacy laws regarding the mess. When he says that he doesn't know any more than anyone else, though, I almost have to believe him, which is further evidence of a massive CF in GF. :smh:

Tatanka
09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Upon further review, I'm fairly certain I caught a glimpse of Buning working the kitchen in teh RED PEPPER as I ordered my grinder...

mmmmmmmmm... grinder....... :hungry: :nod:

Bison bison
09-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm really starting to think that until he officially retires in June 08, Kupchella will be mailing it in.

WYOBISONMAN
09-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Geez..........old Kuppy is terrible........I wonder what he does to earn a pay check!!

Tatanka
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm really starting to think that until he officially retires in June 08, Kupchella will be mailing it in.
More than usual?

Bison bison
09-25-2007, 02:12 PM
exactly.

having Buning report to Harmeson is proof positive that Kupchella is being streched beyond his means.

westriver bison
09-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Am I the only one who thinks UND will use this as an opportunity to spend a few more years investigating whether they should begin the transition to D-1 in all sports?

Bison bison
09-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I think they'll continue with the transition, but.........

(they are on the list of schools considering transition, they could (1) fully renig now which would result in them having to wait another five years before beginning again or (2) fail to make the transition-I can't see either of those two happening.)

Gully
09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Am I the only one who thinks UND will use this as an opportunity to spend a few more years investigating whether they should begin the transition to D-1 in all sports?

I was wondering the same thing, if I were them I'd be very worried about ending up like Northern Colorado. In the end, they may have too much pride to back off now. Maybe the man with two first names knew something after all?

bisonmike2
09-25-2007, 09:18 PM

Kuppy's been mailing it in for awhile now. At what point has he demonstrated any sort of leadership at UND? When he folded under pressure from Ralph over the nickname? When he spearheaded the movement to D1? I'm sure a couple years ago he thought his job was cake. Ralphy's dead, no more running the university from Vegas. NDSU annouced to move to division 1, a move he was convinced would end in NDSU blowing money like crazy, fans abandoning the programs and then returning to D2 with it's tail between it's legs. I wish he would stay on for a few more years.

sambini
09-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Upon further review, I'm fairly certain I caught a glimpse of Buning working the kitchen in teh RED PEPPER as I ordered my grinder...

mmmmmmmmm... grinder....... :hungry: :nod: Taco meat and ham hmmm so good++++

NDSU1980
09-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I was wondering the same thing, if I were them I'd be very worried about ending up like Northern Colorado. In the end, they may have too much pride to back off now. Maybe the man with two first names knew something after all?

I think they are going straight down the Northern Colorado sink hole. The confusion coming from up there is incredible. I honestly think they had no long range plan. Their idea was to copy NDSU as they went, not realizing that no two places are alike and situations are never the same. Looks like they have a tiger by the tail and no way to let go and get out. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people either.

Bison bison
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
What are you talking about Gully?

I read the plan they prepared last summer, it was a work of art.

RedRiver
10-04-2007, 06:26 PM
On his noon sports show Dan Hammer talked briefly about the restructuring of the und athletic department. He said there is a new job posting on the und website for an athletic department CFO. He said something to the effect that there will be a CEO, CFO, and COO structure for their athletic department. Also wondered if Phil Harmenson would have interest in the new position that is posted.

That type of structure seems to be quite top heavy and not very clear.

Bison Dan
10-04-2007, 07:45 PM
On his noon sports show Dan Hammer talked briefly about the restructuring of the und athletic department. He said there is a new job posting on the und website for an athletic department CFO. He said something to the effect that there will be a CEO, CFO, and COO structure for their athletic department. Also wondered if Phil Harmenson would have interest in the new position that is posted.

That type of structure seems to be quite top heavy and not very clear.

So there doing away with the AD position? You can sure tell that they are rudderless. This whole thing up looks like a dept. run by committee, it's a joke.

NDSU1980
10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
If they are going to replace Buning, and of course we all knew they would, why do they continue the farce of the "leave of absence"? It's obvious to everyone Buning will have no job to come back to once his leave is over with. UND just keeps making themselves look foolish over this deal.

bisoneer
10-06-2007, 03:16 AM
I suppose they are creating a spot for RT after the NCC folds up next yr.

WYOBISONMAN
10-13-2007, 03:42 PM
A great and true quote by McFeely the other day in the Forum......

The University of North Dakota’s spin on the Tom Buning fiasco – that the media choose to focus on what president Charles Kupchella called “a couple of personnel issues” instead of the “big picture” of glorious Sioux success – is beyond pathetic. It’s been an open secret for months among UND boosters that coaches and staff had serious issues with Buning. For Kupchella and right-hand man Phil Harmeson to attempt to sweep the story under the rug as a media-driven issue is as disingenuous as it gets.

Hammersmith
10-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I love these quotes from this week:

"We currently have no idea whether or not Tom will be back at work on Monday," said Vice President for General Administration Phil Harmeson. "As of now, we have had no contact with him."

"I have been told absolutely no information on when he will be returning," Ralston said. "As soon as we find something out, we'll get the information out to the public."

Get the milk cartons ready and someone call Lassie, we've got a missing person.

56BISON73
10-13-2007, 11:43 PM
I love these quotes from this week:

"We currently have no idea whether or not Tom will be back at work on Monday," said Vice President for General Administration Phil Harmeson. "As of now, we have had no contact with him."

"I have been told absolutely no information on when he will be returning," Ralston said. "As soon as we find something out, we'll get the information out to the public."

Get the milk cartons ready and someone call Lassie, we've got a missing person.

Hammer youre killing me. LOL PL

Tatanka
10-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I can see it now...
http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/125/hsb1145_125.gif
:rofl::rofl:

NDSU1980
10-15-2007, 03:43 AM
Looks like his 30 day LOA is up. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Bison bison
10-15-2007, 04:09 AM
He should pull a Larry David/SNL thing and just show up tomorrow and pretend nothing happened.....

Hammersmith
10-15-2007, 09:36 AM
He's gone again. It seems someone snuck into Harmeson's office, a la MI 2, and left another LOA request. Damn, Buning is sneaky.

Okay, so he just mailed it to UND's general counsel. I like my version better.

Since the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 allows up to 12 weeks of leave within a 12 month period, we can't know for certain when he'll return to be fired; though Harmeson has said 2-4 more weeks. At least it's unpaid leave.

Don't you just wish you were a Sioux fan right about now?

RedRiver
10-15-2007, 02:58 PM
You are right, just heard on the radio news that Bunning requested another 2-4 weeks of leave.

tony
10-15-2007, 03:08 PM
He's gone again. It seems someone snuck into Harmeson's office, a la MI 2, and left another LOA request. Damn, Buning is sneaky.

Hehe, if so, he's still been on campus more than President Kupchella has been this academic year. That begs the question: Why doesn't President Kupchella have to take a leave of absence?