PDA

View Full Version : Fargo Dome and Television

AKBison
09-10-2007, 12:49 AM
This is the first time I have watched a home NDSU football game on televsion and it seemed like everything went off pretty good. The crowd sounded pretty into it and the building looked full. However, the one thing that kept catching my eye was that the place looks like a Wharehouse on the televison. Because of the way the corners are set up, it makes the whole stadium atmosphere take on a different complexity. One that looks empty. You could hardly tell there was a crowd there unless they did a quick span of the crowd. The corners are that ugly and omnivious. I wonder if there is a way to put moveable metal bleachers that go up about 10-12 rows in each of the corners. They could be custom built to fit so that they looked like they were part of the seating structure thus giving the dome the appearance of being fuller, giving it the look of a bowl. I know that the support beams are there but right now I cannot picture how far back they go. The bleachers could be made to be moveable and could likly be stored out of the way when not needed. It would give the dome a better atmosphere both live and on TV while likley bringing are capacity up well over 20,000 which seems to be the benchmark of success in FCS Football.

If anyone has skills with photo shop I would love to see what this might look like. Thanks.

Any thoughts?

NDSUFREAK
09-10-2007, 01:03 AM
This is the first time I have watched a home NDSU football game on televsion and it seemed like everything went off pretty good. The crowd sounded pretty into it and the building looked full. However, the one thing that kept catching my eye was that the place looks like a Wharehouse on the televison. Because of the way the corners are set up, it makes the whole stadium atmosphere take on a different complexity. One that looks empty. You could hardly tell there was a crowd there unless they did a quick span of the crowd. The corners are that ugly and omnivious. I wonder if there is a way to put moveable metal bleachers that go up about 10-12 rows in each of the corners. They could be custom built to fit so that they looked like they were part of the seating structure thus giving the dome the appearance of being fuller, giving it the look of a bowl. I know that the support beams are there but right now I cannot picture how far back they go. The bleachers could be made to be moveable and could likly be stored out of the way when not needed. It would give the dome a better atmosphere both live and on TV while likley bringing are capacity up well over 20,000 which seems to be the benchmark of success in FCS Football.

If anyone has skills with photo shop I would love to see what this might look like. Thanks.

Any thoughts?
with the bandwagon fans we have it wont get to 20,000...i'm too pissed about it to even explain

roadwarrior
09-10-2007, 02:10 AM
The support columns for the roof would block the view of any seats put into the corners.

RodentiaX
09-10-2007, 03:25 AM
You could squeeze some more seats in the corners, although obviously not behind the pillars, but you could get a few more. Perhaps some large NDSU banners could be hung in the gaps, it would make the space look less open.

KC_Hats
09-10-2007, 03:28 AM
I thought the FargoDome looked Fabulous on TV. They must have painted the logos on the field because they looked great. All the yellow in the stands was outstanding as well.

Hammersmith
09-10-2007, 04:23 AM
The logos in the endzone did look great on TV.

There is no way to put seats in front of the pillars because they are literally the corners of the endzone; they extend to the floor of the Fargodome. Any seats in the corners would be behind them. (Yes, I'm sure. I just looked at video from the game to confirm.) What's more, it's three pillars in each corner, not one(one large and two small with bracing linking them together). Any seats put in the corner would have numerous obstructions even without the videoboards midway up. I'm only going into this much detail because this topic comes up again and again no matter how many times it's explained it can't be done. If somebody wants one, I'll try and find a good shot from the TV broadcast showing one of the corners and why seating there won't work.

If I were to make a wish list, much better lighting would top it. I think most of the "warehouse" feel comes from the dimness. I thought someone was quoted a long time back saying that the field of the dome was only getting 2/3 of the optimal light level for football. My "pie in the sky" wish would be for a different color ceiling. I think that dark green just sucks up the light. Painting the concrete stands white with bright trim wouldn't hurt matters either. Also, there should be more lighting directed towards all the scoreboards. Right now, they just seem to fade into the darkness. Last, I would like to see additional lighting at low enough angles to eliminate shadows on the field. I could be wrong, but I think very few large stadiums(NFL) have shadowing. I think it's one of the factors that influences your subconscious when you decide whether a stadium looks good or not on TV.

Bison bison
09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
brightening the place up would probably add to fan energy.

NDSUguy
09-11-2007, 07:38 PM
After watching the game on tv, the first thing that I noticed that I would change is the camera angles on field goals. Currently they use the sideline cameras to do the fieldgoals/extra points. It was very difficult (in my opinion) to see whether the ball went through the uprights.

In my opinion these suggestions are really just that.... There is not a time in the near future where most of the NDSU games will be televised. Since this is not the case, there is really little motivation to change the dome to suit a TV audience.