PDA

View Full Version : Why I love Bison football

Kevin
09-08-2007, 09:55 AM
I remember being a kid and itching at the opportunity to leave North Dakota. The state lacked the excitement and drama that I thought was needed to sustain a meaningful life. Simply put: I wanted out, and I didn't want to look back. I also remember being a youngster and going to my very first Bison game. It was only one game that season, but me, my cousin and my old man watched it from the nose bleed section. I was around 11 and I remember being depressed at half time when the Bison were down. I was convinced of a defeat but I remember my Father said not to worry, that the Bison would come back, because the Bison always come back he said. "It's the North Dakota way" he added with a smile. Sure enough, the Bison won that game. The following year my cousin, an allumni of NDSU purchased season tickets in section 32. We've been there ever since, year after year.

A lot of things in my life changed as I grew older. Yet one thing remained constant and that was Bison football in the fall. I remember the Kevin Feeney era as though it was yesterday. The heart breaking loss against UNO after we'd been ranked #1, the playoff win against the Sioux and the show that Jake Morris put on with a broken nose. That's about the time I started to play myself, and although a knee injury in high school put a premature stop to my time on the field it helped me to better understand the game and solidified my love of football. Since that season I have not missed a single Bison home game, and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

I also remember cursing up and down when NDSU made the transition into DI-AA and I remember eating crow after some of the incredible games that we have witnessed since. I can still taste that crow in my mouth, and you know what? It tastes pretty damn good. I was angry that we'd never play the Sioux again. I didn't think SDSU would make a good rival and I certainly didn't think that the Great West was a suitable confrence. SDSU proved me wrong in the first year, the GWFC wasn't far behind. I basically lived on a diet of crow and budweiser for a solid 12 months, and I've never been so happy to be wrong in all my life. The Bison proved how far a good work ethic and planning can take you, even in a short amount of time. I'm 23 now and in retrospect I could say that I grew up with Bison football. As the Bison evolved, and changed I was doing the same with my life. And then last year I got what I always wanted: a way out.

I had an option to leave NoDak for the desert of Arizona. I was surprised when I found myself heart broken by the decision to leave. It was more than just leaving my family, it was hunting season, and it was those peaceful nights in Medora. It was the people, because I don't care what anyone says: this state produces some of the best folk you'll ever meet. And of course, it was because of Bison football. All be damned if I'm going to miss the inevitable home play off games. All be damned if I'm going to miss the road trips to Northern Iowa, Illinois, and ofcourse to Jack Rabbit country. It took having one foot out the door for me to realize that I didn't want to leave. I was quite happy here, even with the Nordic winters.

So, I opted to stay. It really hit me last year listening to the commentators during the UC Davis game. There's nothing wrong with being a "farm boy". There's nothing wrong with hard work, dedication, honesty, honour, loyalty and tradition. I learned a lot from playing football, but I think I learned the biggest lesson from watching that game. Guts and glory go hand in hand.

Now, tonight with 16,000+ of my closest friends we'll once again venture into the Dome and together we'll experience what it means to be a North Dakotan. The spirit of the Bison transcends the football field, you see. It lives in each and everyone of us. From the beauty of the Badlands, to the wheat fields of Benson county, to the fertile valley of the red river we'll all come together to watch the values of our people manifest themselves on the field of the Fargo Dome. Hard work, dedication, honour and tradition. "It's the North Dakota way", after all.

The strength of the Bison is the herd. The strength of the herd is the Bison. Here's to another great season.

Bisonguy
09-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Great post.:nod:

You should send that to Bison Illustrated. (http://www.bisonillustrated.com/)

sambini
09-08-2007, 11:54 AM
That is what its all about. GREAT POST++++++++

scottheck
09-08-2007, 12:02 PM
It's not often someone learns all that by 23, congratulations! You're way ahead of your peers.
I know how you feel but it's taken longer for me. And, I did have to leave to understand it. I'm still gone though it's only MN.

Had you moved to AZ, you would still be from ND. When asked the usual questions: Where do I live, I answer MN. But, when asked where I'm from, it's ND.

That is a great post and it would make a great letter to the editor of BI.

56BISON73
09-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I remember being a kid and itching at the opportunity to leave North Dakota. The state lacked the excitement and drama that I thought was needed to sustain a meaningful life. Simply put: I wanted out, and I didn't want to look back. I also remember being a youngster and going to my very first Bison game. It was only one game that season, but me, my cousin and my old man watched it from the nose bleed section. I was around 11 and I remember being depressed at half time when the Bison were down. I was convinced of a defeat but I remember my Father said not to worry, that the Bison would come back, because the Bison always come back he said. "It's the North Dakota way" he added with a smile. Sure enough, the Bison won that game. The following year my cousin, an allumni of NDSU purchased season tickets in section 32. We've been there ever since, year after year.

A lot of things in my life changed as I grew older. Yet one thing remained constant and that was Bison football in the fall. I remember the Kevin Feeney era as though it was yesterday. The heart breaking loss against UNO after we'd been ranked #1, the playoff win against the Sioux and the show that Jake Morris put on with a broken nose. That's about the time I started to play myself, and although a knee injury in high school put a premature stop to my time on the field it helped me to better understand the game and solidified my love of football. Since that season I have not missed a single Bison home game, and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

I also remember cursing up and down when NDSU made the transition into DI-AA and I remember eating crow after some of the incredible games that we have witnessed since. I can still taste that crow in my mouth, and you know what? It tastes pretty damn good. I was angry that we'd never play the Sioux again. I didn't think SDSU would make a good rival and I certainly didn't think that the Great West was a suitable confrence. SDSU proved me wrong in the first year, the GWFC wasn't far behind. I basically lived on a diet of crow and budweiser for a solid 12 months, and I've never been so happy to be wrong in all my life. The Bison proved how far a good work ethic and planning can take you, even in a short amount of time. I'm 23 now and in retrospect I could say that I grew up with Bison football. As the Bison evolved, and changed I was doing the same with my life. And then last year I got what I always wanted: a way out.

I had an option to leave NoDak for the desert of Arizona. I was surprised when I found myself heart broken by the decision to leave. It was more than just leaving my family, it was hunting season, and it was those peaceful nights in Medora. It was the people, because I don't care what anyone says: this state produces some of the best folk you'll ever meet. And of course, it was because of Bison football. All be damned if I'm going to miss the inevitable home play off games. All be damned if I'm going to miss the road trips to Northern Iowa, Illinois, and ofcourse to Jack Rabbit country. It took having one foot out the door for me to realize that I didn't want to leave. I was quite happy here, even with the Nordic winters.

So, I opted to stay. It really hit me last year listening to the commentators during the UC Davis game. There's nothing wrong with being a "farm boy". There's nothing wrong with hard work, dedication, honesty, honour, loyalty and tradition. I learned a lot from playing football, but I think I learned the biggest lesson from watching that game. Guts and glory go hand in hand.

Now, tonight with 16,000+ of my closest friends we'll once again venture into the Dome and together we'll experience what it means to be a North Dakotan. The spirit of the Bison transcends the football field, you see. It lives in each and everyone of us. From the beauty of the Badlands, to the wheat fields of Benson county, to the fertile valley of the red river we'll all come together to watch the values of our people manifest themselves on the field of the Fargo Dome. Hard work, dedication, honour and tradition. "It's the North Dakota way", after all.

The strength of the Bison is the herd. The strength of the herd is the Bison. Here's to another great season.

Well said!!!! PL

99Bison
09-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Great post.:nod:

You should send that to Bison Illustrated. (http://www.bisonillustrated.com/)

Yes!!!!!!!!!

Tatanka
09-08-2007, 02:28 PM

Now, tonight with 19,000+ of my closest friends we'll once again venture into the Dome and together we'll experience what it means to be a North Dakotan. The spirit of the Bison transcends the football field, you see. It lives in each and everyone of us. From the beauty of the Badlands, to the wheat fields of Benson county, to the fertile valley of the red river we'll all come together to watch the values of our people manifest themselves on the field of the Fargo Dome. Hard work, dedication, honour and tradition. "It's the North Dakota way", after all.

Fixed this for you.:D Awesome post.:nod: :nod:

THEsocalledfan
09-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I have lived in Minnesoata continously since 1999. I completely agree with the post. I will always be a North Dakotan at heart. I just wish I could find a way back for work, but I am in quite a specialized field. Let's hope Fargo continues to grow as that will be my best shot in a return. It is killing me not being at the game today, but a least I can watch on FSN for a change.

AEBison1998
09-08-2007, 03:26 PM
That was a great post. If I wasn't such a man I would have sniffled a little!!! I keep telling my friends about the beauty of the prairie. It takes a trained eye, but once you see it, there is nothing like it. It's not just the landscape, it's the people.

Speaking of the people. If I am counting right, I think there are 8 ND kids starting in the football game today. And a couple more from just across the river. One of the negatives people said about the move to D1 was that local kids wouldn't be able to make the teams anymore. Although I think it is great that kids from across the country have seen what NDSU has to offer and want to be a part of it...and we welcome you....It's the North Dakota way. :welcome: It is still fun to see that maybe there is more talent and dedication in the state of North Dakota than some people gave us credit for.

roadwarrior
09-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Speaking of the people. If I am counting right, I think there are 8 ND kids starting in the football game today. And a couple more from just across the river. One of the negatives people said about the move to D1 was that local kids wouldn't be able to make the teams anymore.

Coach Bohl talked about this at the Teammakers lunch this week. He emphasized that his staff will ALWAYS search ND for the best players that can contribute to the team.

99Bison
09-08-2007, 03:38 PM
I have lived in Minnesoata continously since 1999. I completely agree with the post. I will always be a North Dakotan at heart. I just wish I could find a way back for work, but I am in quite a specialized field. Let's hope Fargo continues to grow as that will be my best shot in a return. It is killing me not being at the game today, but a least I can watch on FSN for a change.

I'm from the MN side in the RRV though still... and it applies the same.

Hammerhead
09-08-2007, 04:10 PM
My wife and I moved to Oregon 11 years ago and Bison football is one of the things I miss most about Fargo and N.D. in general since I attended almost every home game while I was in high school and college. My dad still has the Bison green parka I used to wear hanging in a closet at his house since I don't really need it in Oregon.

Now that I've finished earning my 2nd degree and have more free time, I'm going to try making it back for a game next year in the FFD.

onbison09
09-08-2007, 05:42 PM
That was probably the best post I have read on Bisonville. Great job man, great job. Bison football is one of, if not the, thing I miss most about ND. When people ask me where I'm from I proudly say "Rugby, ND". I proudly refuse to say the Texas pledge everyday in school, yes a pledge for a state. WTF?? My teachers always comment me on my great work ethic. I don't want to talk myself up but that's a common trait of most people in ND. My accounting teacher and I were talking about North Dakota football and he said "You mean the Bison?" "I played them in college (NW Missouri State in 1990) and they kicked our butts." Long live North Dakota and long live the Herd.
THE MARCH IS AND FOREVER SHALL BE ON.

TheBisonator
09-08-2007, 07:19 PM
That was probably the best post I have read on Bisonville. Great job man, great job. Bison football is one of, if not the, thing I miss most about ND. When people ask me where I'm from I proudly say "Rugby, ND". I proudly refuse to say the Texas pledge everyday in school, yes a pledge for a state. WTF?? My teachers always comment me on my great work ethic. I don't want to talk myself up but that's a common trait of most people in ND. My accounting teacher and I were talking about North Dakota football and he said "You mean the Bison?" "I played them in college (NW Missouri State in 1990) and they kicked our butts." Long live North Dakota and long live the Herd.
THE MARCH IS AND FOREVER SHALL BE ON.

This is why Texas is without a doubt, the WORST state in the nation.

Sorry to offend any Texas Bison fans, but it's true.

onbison09
09-08-2007, 08:21 PM
This is why Texas is without a doubt, the WORST state in the nation.

Sorry to offend any Texas Bison fans, but it's true.

AMEN BROhttp://www.electric-bazar.net/blog/images/ploblog.jpg!!!!

onbison09
09-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Way too many people are WAY to proud of Texas. You were a country but over than100 years ago.

Ivy
09-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I remember being a kid and itching at the opportunity to leave North Dakota......The strength of the Bison is the herd. The strength of the herd is the Bison. Here's to another great season.

Great post!

twowheels
09-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Great Post

Swany
09-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Amen, brother, Amen. That is Bison Pride and that is what it means to be a part of the Bison family. Some of my friends in Omaha cannot believe I make the drive for every home game. There is nowhere else I'd rather be on Saturday's. It is like a big family reunion. Walking through tailgating you are among members of a great big family -- the Bison family and that is SPECIAL. I remember thinking, while it was downpouring Saturday, how everyone in the west lot was in such a great mood, not even the terrible weather could keep us down. What a special place with some of the best people in the world. Well said Kevin, well said.

That letter does need to be in Bison Illustrated.

onbison09
09-11-2007, 03:25 AM
At the SFA game one of the players moms (I wonder if it wasn't Dalher's) came up to my dad and said, "Who's your kid on the team?" He said kind of embarrased, "We're just here watching." Well anyways my mom ended up talking to the lady for 10 minutes. We would just walk up to someone and start talking. Even the people you don't know are part of your family b/c you are part of the Bison family.