PDA

View Full Version : Gold Star Marching Band

cbline
09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
I certainly hope that last year's success and the excitement for this year translates into a larger marching band. Bands add to the unique atmosphere of college football. Supposedly the size of the band fluctuates with the success of the team, so I hope that the band members are numerous this year!!

bisonhusker
09-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Not to be rude, but will the GS Marching band be playing new music soon? Seriously. If I have to listen to the "Moody Blues" at halftime one more time, or Peter Cetera, I may fall asleep. Serious. They are really talented, and I bet they would enjoy playing more up to date music....like the other bands do.

lakesbison
09-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I saw the GS band on Dacotah today, I heard some FUNKY stuff, looked like a good turnout!!

BisBison
09-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I saw the GS band on Dacotah today, I heard some FUNKY stuff, looked like a good turnout!!

good to hear. I had heard that the band wasn't any bigger than last year's.:mad: :ranting: what do we have to do to get this band to D-I levels? :confused: Seems like the rest of the university has made the jump.:nod:

99Bison
09-07-2007, 11:34 PM
good to hear. I had heard that the band wasn't any bigger than last year's.:mad: :ranting: what do we have to do to get this band to D-I levels? :confused: Seems like the rest of the university has made the jump.:nod:

I think they are looking for a bit more funding... A birdie said some (new?) non-profit group might popup to help out sometime....?

BigDeal
09-07-2007, 11:59 PM
The band is about the same size as last year. The show is a Latin show with some pretty intense solos. I heard it earlier.

On a side note, another birdie told me that there are bigger things in store for the band in the next couple years.

BigBison
09-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Please Please Please, no red drums.

imabison
09-08-2007, 01:24 AM
I can assure you that the RED DRUMS are staying. I exchanged emails with the Director of Bands on why they also use a faculty member to sing the Star Spangled Banner. He assured me that is with Gene Taylors blessing to show off the STAFF at NDSU. Blah I want students, and a variety for it.

When I suggested the use the money saved by buying RED DRUMS to pay for others to sing he got a bit nasty.

"With regard to the red drums--you did pursue it, ......... (with all due respect)--we received money for new drums three years ago. We determined to purchase the finest drums made (Yamaha) that would work for our situation. The drums come in five colors--white, black, blue, silver, and red; there are no green or yellow drums in standard colors. Long ago, when I was learning how to be a band director, I was taught never to buy green drums--because the field is green. Add in our green uniforms and you have--well, lots of green. We desired contrast--we chose red, which actually complements what we have. Yamaha does make custom shells that would cost approximately $700 per drum. We have 15 drums, which makes the bill $10,500 in addition to the $15,000 we spent on the drums."

Watch for the RED DRUMS for years to come!!!!!!

Bisonguy
09-08-2007, 01:30 AM
I can assure you that the RED DRUMS are staying. I exchanged emails with the Director of Bands on why they also use a faculty member to sing the Star Spangled Banner. He assured me that is with Gene Taylors blessing to show off the STAFF at NDSU. Blah I want students, and a variety for it.

When I suggested the use the money saved by buying RED DRUMS to pay for others to sing he got a bit nasty.

"With regard to the red drums--you did pursue it, ......... (with all due respect)--we received money for new drums three years ago. We determined to purchase the finest drums made (Yamaha) that would work for our situation. The drums come in five colors--white, black, blue, silver, and red; there are no green or yellow drums in standard colors. Long ago, when I was learning how to be a band director, I was taught never to buy green drums--because the field is green. Add in our green uniforms and you have--well, lots of green. We desired contrast--we chose red, which actually complements what we have. Yamaha does make custom shells that would cost approximately $700 per drum. We have 15 drums, which makes the bill $10,500 in addition to the $15,000 we spent on the drums."

Watch for the RED DRUMS for years to come!!!!!!

Let's see, one of those colors is ACTUALLY on the GSMB uniforms, and two other colors wouldn't look that bad. Red is not one of them. :banghead:

BigDeal
09-08-2007, 03:31 AM

So what's the average life of a set of marching percussion? Am I going to have to scroll through this crap for the next 10 years?

onbison09
09-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Video of the Gold Star Band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqCRxCWHVs

Hammersmith
09-09-2007, 05:42 AM
So what's the average life of a set of marching percussion? Am I going to have to scroll through this crap for the next 10 years?

Yep. Figure 10-15 years unless the band gets a sugar daddy.